daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:10 PM   #2141
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
OSM already shows the 6km section between Aegani and Pyrget˛s in service. Is that correct? Is there any info when the two carriageways got in service?
The OSM object was last edited on 14 Apr 2014 . Google Earth shows traffic on the road northwards from a point just east of the town of Pyrgetos. OSM has editing history embedded in each object.

However the Tempi tunnels and their approaches ( the remaining 24km? of the 30km or is that 30km ???) seem to have slipped by 6 months.

They were due to be completed during Q3 2015 when the construction work was restarted in 2013 having been abandoned for some years.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2015, 06:20 PM   #2142
kostas97

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaroskyr View Post
Is this the part that stretches between the Tempi Valley and Platamonas?

Yes, my mistake - this part is in operation for many years.
Yes, that's it.
kostas97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #2143
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2203

Worries about projects not being completed in 2015 (end of)

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w...03/2015_548445

When the long moribund motorway projects were rebooted in 2012/2013 one of the conditions was that promised EU funding would be paid out as per the 2006-2013 rules as long as these projects were completed on an extended timescale to end 2015.

If projects slip into 2016, many ( especially in west and central Greece) are no longer fundable by the EU under the new rules which came into force in early 2014. Only the road from Patras to Athens to the Bulgarian border near Serres qualifies nowadays and from now on. It may qualify for less funding than it would attract under the pre 2013 plan too.

Ekathimerini say. "Unfinished projects worth some 6 billion euros from Greece's previous National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) will need to be included in the next period of the European Union-backed program" Greece was promised €20bn under that program for all classes of projects including rail/underground/water/ports/roads etc.

Ekathimerini also say. "The country can continue to draw funds until the end of the current year but the coming months will be crucial as Greek Economy Ministry officials will have to decide which of the ongoing projects will be transitioned into the new NSRF and which will be scrapped. The latter include projects that do not fit the profile of the new NSRF, which puts less emphasis on large-scale infrastructure works and more on innovation and entrepreneurship."

But any project that now looks like leaking into a 2016 completion timeframe will rely entirely on the government to fill the gap left by the EU as its funds are withdrawn. The missing bridge on the A7 should be complete ( or as damn near as) by the end of the year or all promised EU funds for the A7 will be in jeapordy and the A7 will not qualify for any funding from now on...as an EG.

MichiH, Seagull liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #2144
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
...OSM already shows the 6km section between Aegani and Pyrget˛s in service. Is that correct? Is there any info when the two carriageways got in service?
That's Wikimapia, not OpenStreetMap.

At the moment one of the biggest problems on OSM in Greece is how the main road between Evzoni/Gevgelija and Chalastra should be shown. The section north of the border is obviously the A1 of the Republic of Macedonia as soon as you finish the border checks.

However, I see quite a lot of mixed-up signage and mixture of single and dual carriageways in the Greek part of the road. It seems that the authorities are confusing motorroads (EO1, green on map) with motorways (A1, blue), because:
- At Polykastro the entry slip roads have a motorroad sign.
- At Evzoni there is a motorway sign.
- At Gefyra the northbound entry slip has a motorway sign but the southbound entry slip has a motorroad sign.
- When you turn right northbound at the junction at Chalastra, the motorway changes into a motorroad.
- Yet most of the signs are green!.

So, please tell me which part of that road is supposed to be the A1 motorway or EO1 motorroad (and govt. source, please). It seems they co-exist, or do Greek road standards allow such a thing?

ea1969 liked this post

Last edited by Antje; March 26th, 2015 at 07:58 PM.
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #2145
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antje View Post
Wikimapia uses OpenStreetMap's mapping
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #2146
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Well, you can switch to different layers on Wikimapia. I prefer the OpenStreetMap layer but you can easily switch to Google Map, Google Satellite, Bing Map, Bing Satellite, Here Map,... The map remains at the same location. I think that feature is damn great .

I've no idea about your other matter. In general, that's crap on OSM.... I'd prefer having all roads with median in blue like it's done in Austria.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

solchante liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #2147
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
... However, I see quite a lot of mixed-up signage and mixture of single and dual carriageways in the Greek part of the road. It seems that the authorities are confusing motorroads (EO1, green on map) with motorways (A1, blue)... So, please tell me which part of that road is supposed to be the A1 motorway or EO1 motorroad (and govt. source, please). It seems they co-exist, or do Greek road standards allow such a thing?
Just one bit of the total confusion in road classification, numbering and signs... Athens, for example, is full of blue signs pointing towards EO1 and refer to the A1. There are blue signs bearing numbers A23 (officially a... provincial road turned into a motor-road although being sub-standard and assigned a future motorway number which is used on signs) and some indicating A27 north of Ptolema´da.

I bet that although sub-standard, they already count it as the A1. But I have no official act to refer to.

Last edited by ea1969; March 27th, 2015 at 12:27 AM.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #2148
Antje
Public Transport Fan

For your information, I have set up a facility at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/W..._Greece#Issues so that other OSM mappers can comment on what the resolution should be for the most tricky of contradictions.
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #2149
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Although a bit old (mid November) are following some very nice photos of Stylida bypass:

www.stilida.com

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

ć ΙΧΘΥΣ

Last edited by KONSTANTINOUPOLIS; March 30th, 2015 at 11:00 PM.
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 06:25 PM   #2150
ea1969
R21

Not needing to mention the indication 1 instead of A1, look at the last picture where the 200m exit indicator is at the same place (and a bit at the front) with the 500m ADS.

A much needed section nevertheless.

Stavros86 liked this post
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:57 AM   #2151
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Few questions due to a lack of clarity on a few issues on OpenStreetMap:

- Can national roads have two numbers, such as the bypass at https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/40.7405/21.6192?
- At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/40.6871/22.5266, Should the section between Alexandreia and Chalkidona be EO1 or PEO1?
- At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/40.7978/21.5130, should EO2 also follow the route of the EO3 bypass?
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:22 PM   #2152
ea1969
R21

1 and 3: Yes. But please note that the expressway section is signed as A27 (with blue signs though).
2: I would count it as EO1 for the whole part Katerini - Alexandreia - Halkidona - Gefyra - Polykastro - Evzonoi as I think that the whole "new" section must be accounted as A1. There are no service roads to a significant part of the "new" road too.

Antje liked this post

Last edited by ea1969; April 1st, 2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:44 PM   #2153
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244321

Do we know when Stylida section will be open?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 09:51 PM   #2154
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17409

This section was opened on 16 March

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
16 March 2015

The 19 kilometer missing link of A1 opened to traffic in Greece, along the Malian Gulf. It runs from Stylida to Raches. It opened in one direction today, the other direction will open next weekend.

http://ypodomes.com/index.php/autoki...B1%CE%BA%CE%BF
Old April 2nd, 2015, 04:36 AM   #2155
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Few questions due to a lack of clarity on a few issues on OpenStreetMap:

- Can national roads have two numbers, such as the bypass at https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/40.7405/21.6192?
- At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/40.6871/22.5266, Should the section between Alexandreia and Chalkidona be EO1 or PEO1?
- At https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/40.7978/21.5130, should EO2 also follow the route of the EO3 bypass?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post

1 and 3: Yes. But please note that the expressway section is signed as A27 (with blue signs though).
2: I would count it as EO1 for the whole part Katerini - Alexandreia - Halkidona - Gefyra - Polykastro - Evzonoi as I think that the whole "new" section must be accounted as A1. There are no service roads to a significant part of the "new" road too.
1. They certainly can. Another example is the stretch between Neo Monastiri and Farsala, which is part of both EO3 and EO30.
2. I agree with ea1969. The whole section after Katerini should be assigned as EO1. The reason is that the current A1 motorway was known, before the upgrade, as EO1a and not EO1.
3. ea1969, I have to disagree on that. EO 2 should be left as it is. There is no official act that states the realignment of EO2. The new sections (numbered as A27) regard only the EO3.
Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:04 PM   #2156
ea1969
R21

Nevertheless, point 3 will be solved when the new road will be totally upgraded to a motorway (A27). After this, both EO2 and EO3 will follow the old road, anyway. But I insist that there are already blue signs on the new road bearing A27. I checked it again and although it seems useless to have two national roads with different numbers running in parallel, you are right, Stavros.

As the new (green) road has been signed as A27, I consider if the mappers should put A27 there and EO2/EO3 to the old (red) road.

Last edited by ea1969; April 2nd, 2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 03:42 AM   #2157
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros86 View Post
1. They certainly can. Another example is the stretch between Neo Monastiri and Farsala, which is part of both EO3 and EO30.
2. I agree with ea1969. The whole section after Katerini should be assigned as EO1. The reason is that the current A1 motorway was known, before the upgrade, as EO1a and not EO1.
3. ea1969, I have to disagree on that. EO 2 should be left as it is. There is no official act that states the realignment of EO2. The new sections (numbered as A27) regard only the EO3.
I guess Wikipedia lied again, although it is a bit sad the finding of fact took place outside the OSM forum.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:07 PM   #2158
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I have noticed this U/C road:https://www.google.rs/maps/@40.28935.../data=!3m1!1e3
What is happening here ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:52 PM   #2159
lazaroskyr

Likes (Received): 150

This should be Katerini's ring road.
lazaroskyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:02 PM   #2160
ea1969
R21

Quote:
I guess Wikipedia lied again, although it is a bit sad the finding of fact took place outside the OSM forum.
No they are OK in this. When current EO numbers were allocated in 1963, EO1 covered all the existing sections from Athens to Evzonoi. Eventually all new sections that took a course different than the pre-existing road were allocated as EO1a. These were: Peiraias/Rentis - Metamorfosi (Kifisos Avenue), Lamia - Stylida - Velestino and Katerini - Evzonoi along with the spur Halastra - Thessaloniki. That Stylida section which was bypassed some days ago by A1 Stylida Bypass, were and are therefore part of the EO1a while EO1 remains the minor road through the villages/towns that already existed in 1963.

Stavros86, Antje liked this post

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways