daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 7th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #2181
KONSTANTINOUPOLIS
Ομόθρησκον

Yes since late March Stylida bypass is in use, you are welcome

"Τό στάδιον τῶν ἀρετῶν ἠνέωκται, οἱ βουλόμενοι ἀθλῆσαι εἰσέλθετε.
"

† ΙΧΘΥΣ

KONSTANTINOUPOLIS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #2182
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 709

Sure you can drive on Stylida bypass.
Here is a fresh video (action starts on 1:36):

definitivo, guranflorin, bgdimitrov liked this post
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:12 PM   #2183
pyramidxx

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyathenian View Post
Sure you can drive on Stylida bypass.
Here is a fresh video (action starts on 1:36):

I like Greek roads)))))
pyramidxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #2184
neaguionutu

Likes (Received): 105

@KONSTANTINOUPOLIS , @nastyathenian , thank you for the information and video!
Have a nice day
neaguionutu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #2185
lazaroskyr

Likes (Received): 150

Regarding the next big motorway that is scheduled to be constructed, the Patra-Pyrgos motorway:

So far we knew that the motorway will be build as a whole with a price of around 450 million euros.

The new governement seems to be in favor of breaking the road in 8 or 9 parts and they aim to start the tendering procedure in the next 2 or 3 months. If all goes well then the road could be tendered by the end of this summer, although taking into considerarion previous experience this may seem a bit optimistic.

This road is very important, because its construction will close the "circle" of motorways in Peloponnisos (Peloponnese). It must be noted that the full road runs from Patra to Pyrgos to Kalo Nero and then meets A7. At the moment the discussions are for the first part (Patra-Pyrgos) and hopefully in the future there will be discussions for the southern part Kalo Nero - A7 (Tsakwna) - the middle part Pyrgos-Kalo Nero is highly unlikely to be build due to huge environmental concerns regarding Kaiafas Lake.
lazaroskyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #2186
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

@lazaroskyr Do you know what sections of motorways in Greece are going to be opened this year ?
We have this thread:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...687231&page=31
but since you speak greek you have more informations then most of other people.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #2187
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaroskyr View Post
Regarding the next big motorway that is scheduled to be constructed, the Patra-Pyrgos motorway:
The new governement seems to be in favor of breaking the road in 8 or 9 parts and they aim to start the tendering procedure in the next 2 or 3 months. If all goes well then the road could be tendered by the end of this summer, although taking into considerarion previous experience this may seem a bit optimistic.
At the moment the discussions are for the first part (Patra-Pyrgos) and hopefully in the future there will be discussions for the southern part Kalo Nero - A7 (Tsakwna) - the middle part Pyrgos-Kalo Nero is highly unlikely to be build due to huge environmental concerns regarding Kaiafas Lake.
Sorry, I'm a little bit confused. I thought works on the first 75km section were started, then suspended but restarted in 2014 .

Quote:
The northern part (Patra-Pyrgos) is more advanced because there is already work done and as the article says "even when the project was stopped, the archaeological work continued".

The length of the three parts (as I read in the article):
1) 75 km
2) 55 km
3) 30 km

Quote:

As far as I know, yes.

Today's article:
http://ypodomes.com/index.php/autoki...B3%CE%BF%CF%82

The minister of public construction works said that the "Patra-Pyrgos" part will be auctioned until the 30/06 and the road will be finished within the first half of 2016 along with the road from Korinthos to Patra.

The southern part "Kalo Nero-Tsakwna" will be auctioned by the end of 2014 and will be finished after the end of 2016.

So we expect that by early 2017 (in less than three years' time) the biggest part of Ionia Odos (A5) to be finished. It is a big accomplishment given the current situation in Greece and it is a road that will help the west part of Greece very very much.
I guess works didn't resume in 2014 but it's announced for 2015 again.
Do you have any info about the 8-9 sections (from .. to, length)?

@Autoputevi kao hobi: He regularly reports news and I'm used to annoy him if there's any question for detail

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:19 PM   #2188
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Sorry, I'm a little bit confused. I thought works on the first 75km section were started, then suspended but restarted in 2014 .
I was sure of the exact same thing, that the nationwide resumption of motorway work that was negotiated in 2013 covered as far as Pyrgos.

The road works themselves are well visible on Google Earth north of Pyrgos.

EG https://goo.gl/maps/T76rx
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 01:32 AM   #2189
lazaroskyr

So, to my knowledge:

Previous work was done on the part Patra-Pyrgos, but to a limited extend.

When in 2013 the decision was taken for the motorway projects to restart, this part was not included in that discussion. Thus, there is nothing happening at the moment for the Patra-Pyrgos.

We were expecting this road to have been already tendered, but unfortunately as we all know the ministers in Greece are not the most reliable. So, the part was supposed to have been tendered last year, but it wasn't.

When the new governement was elected, they said that they will "re-assess" everything regarding the construction of Greek motorways. One of these things is that they are thinking of tendering the projects in smaller pieces, so that smaller companies will be able to participate as well.

So to summarise: until a few months ago the Patra-Pyrgos road was supposed to be tendered as a whole, but now it is expected (according to the minister's words) to be "broken" in 8-9 parts! He promised that the tendering process will start within the next 2-3 months and that every two weeks two of these parts will be tendered - that is why I assumed that the whole part of the road will be tendered before summer ends.

There is no information about these parts regarding lengths, from...to, etc. - I think that even the people in the ministry don't know... There is a lot of discussion with the local authorities and a lot of complains about the delay. It must also be noted that some local politicians (like Patra's mayor) want the road to be constructed southern from what is now decided. The minister said that they are considering this and if it is not costworthy and does not require much more time to be constructed, then they will think about it i.e. constructing the road more to the south. If this happens then my assumption about "the end of summer" will be wrong.

Patra-Pyrgos is a project purely funded by Greek money, so it was not part of the discussions in 2013.

Regarding the two other parts (Pyrgos-Kalo Nero, Kalo Nero-A7) are yet to be decided if and when they will be constructed. Especially the Pyrgos-Kalo Nero will most probably never be built, at least until current concerns, about the impact to the lake Kaiafas, are dealt with.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

MichiH liked this post
Old April 10th, 2015, 02:11 AM   #2190
sponge_bob

Quote:

It does indeed. You may be happy to hear that Aktor are still building all of it ( but purely on their own website) ) where they claim it is all "Being Constructed" even today.

My personal opinion, expressed in this thread before, was that Greece should confine itself to building a motorway from north of Arte down the west coast to south of Patras and to let revenue from that core west coast network pay for extensions later on.

Greece is by no means the only EU country with financially underwater Concession/PPP projects based mainly on overoptimistic AADT projections and some allowance needs to be made for those old projections if restarting projects.

This is an economic case, nothing to do with politcs lest anyone ask.
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #2191
MichiH

Quote:
Yep . The damn project is still suspended .

A5: Patra-Mintilogli – Pyrgos 75km (2008 to suspended) – project – map

Quote:
Unfortunately the political and economic turmoil affected the construction and completion of these motorways. The A71 is stalled and an agreement between the government and the banks is not yet finalised. It is a shame, because the motorway is complete by almost 95%...
A71: Leuktro (A7) – Sparti 46km (? to > March 2015) – project – map

Is there any info about A71?
Is it likely to be opened in 2015 or should it be label "suspended" too?

In general, what's about other Greek motorway projects, are there more suspended projects (please refer to the link in my signature).

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #2192
lazaroskyr

A71 and A7 are suspended at the moment. They will wait for a decision to be made between the governement and the banks. There is pressure from local politiicians, but the minister said a few days ago that the government will not pay the money that the banks and the constructor require as compentation because the projected traffic is expected to be less that the estimated. Thus, we don't know when and if this road will be opened. I have to note that A71 (and I think the remainder of A7 as well), is almost complete (95%).

I have no information for the "smaller" projects like A25. But, in recent weeks there were rumours that the government wants to renegotiate the toll agreements regarding the major projects (remaining of A1, A5 until Antirrio, A3, A8). There are rumours that the constructors require even more time to finish the works, maybe even for the end of 2016. Nothing is decided yet though, so I cannot provide any information about that.

The A52 faces problems as well, this
http://ypodomes.com/index.php/autoki...B7%CF%83%CE%B7

says that the work is suspended at the moment. The earliest that they are expecting for the entire road to be ready is mid-2016.

MichiH liked this post
Old April 11th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #2193
MichiH

Thank you .

Last question for the time being...

Quote:
I don't have info on the A29
A29: Krystalopigi – Koromilia 15km (2012 to June 2015) – project – map

@ALL: Is there any info about A29 section to Albanian border which was announced (long ago) to be completed by June 2015?

I think it's the only remaining section which could be opened in 2015 (but I guess it's just because lack of information though).

Old April 11th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #2194
lazaroskyr

This (one month old article)

http://ypodomes.com/index.php/alles-...%BF%CF%85-2016

ΣΙΑΤΙΣΤΑ-ΚΑΣΤΟΡΙΑ-ΚΡΥΣΤΑΛΛΟΠΗΓΗ (90χλμ, υπό μερική κατασκευή-τελική φάση ολοκλήρωσης του άξονα),

says that this road is in the "final construction phase", whatever this means.

MichiH liked this post
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #2195
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

I've driven the A8 from Korinth to Patras 2 weeks ago. And before in November 2010. In these 4.5 years the happened almost nothing. The whole road is currently a mess: Some sections are already finished, but approx. 90% of the road is under construction (ongoing works). But there are many sections which are in early construction stages! I think it's impossible to finish that road within 1.5 years. At least not the whole thing. I guess there will be section by section finished but I don't think that the whole road will be finished before 2017.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #2196
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
I've driven the A8 from Korinth to Patras 2 weeks ago.
The best thing to do when you want to drive Korinth to Patras and back is to use the old, toll-free road. There is much less traffic and the route is very scenic.

http://www.aristonaftes.gr/wp-conten.../derveni10.jpg
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:06 PM   #2197
ariskop

Likes (Received): 1720

Quote:
I've driven the A8 from Korinth to Patras 2 weeks ago. And before in November 2010. In these 4.5 years the happened almost nothing. The whole road is currently a mess: Some sections are already finished, but approx. 90% of the road is under construction (ongoing works). But there are many sections which are in early construction stages! I think it's impossible to finish that road within 1.5 years. At least not the whole thing. I guess there will be section by section finished but I don't think that the whole road will be finished before 2017.
I don't think that this description is totally accurate.
Construction was suspended for almost 3 years leaving the road in a total mess but during the last year the progress is extensive. I drive the road almost every month.
All sections are currently under construction and the majority of "heavy" constructions (tunnels,bridges) is near completion. I guess that this impression about sections in early construction stages is for some section that one direction is not constructed next to existing road and it is not totally visible to the driver of current road (derveni, akrata, panagopoula).

Officially, constructor has requested a 5month deadline extension (May 2016) for the completion of whole axis Korinthos - Patras. This doesnt mean that the road will be delivered at once in May 2016. Probably some sections might be delivered earlier.
ariskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #2198
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

There are two or three sections where the are half built bridges and walls besides the road clearly indicating that the motorway should be built here. But there were no ongoing works visible (plants growing all over the place). Of course, it's possible to speed up things and make those parts also ready, but honestly, given all the delays on Greek motorway building, how possible will that be? If the constructor is asking for another 5 months right now (over 1.5 years before the set date), you can easily figure it out that these timeline won't also be enough...

Beside that, you wrote the same as I
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:54 PM   #2199
sponge_bob

Quote:
If the constructor is asking for another 5 months right now (over 1.5 years before the set date), you can easily figure it out that these timeline won't also be enough...

There is a huge amount of EU cash waiting for projects to complete by the end of 2015. These are the projects that were supposed to be complete by end 2013 and for which an extension was sought and granted when the Government and Commissioner Hahn came to a broad agreement in late 2011/early 2012.

€1.5bn for roads alone.

http://www.espa.gr/en/documents/prio...rojects_en.pdf

Under the 2014 rules, ( these only apply to Greece from 01 Jan 2016) many of these projects can no longer receive EU funds. EG the A7 and A71 are supposed to benefit from €250m of EU funds if the missing bridges can be completed in 2015.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-606_en.htm

If not complete this year then God knows what will happen.
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #2200
ariskop

Likes (Received): 1720

Quote:
There are two or three sections where the are half built bridges and walls besides the road clearly indicating that the motorway should be built here. But there were no ongoing works visible (plants growing all over the place). Of course, it's possible to speed up things and make those parts also ready, but honestly, given all the delays on Greek motorway building, how possible will that be? If the constructor is asking for another 5 months right now (over 1.5 years before the set date), you can easily figure it out that these timeline won't also be enough...

Something also confusing regarding the status of A8 is that almost in parallel way with the motorway, the new highspeed railway is built. Construction of the railway is also suspended for more years and semifinished bridges and ground works full of plants exist. A new constructor is awarded some months ago but the works has begun in limited areas.
Honestly, regarding the motorway construction there is no abandont works anymore.
Also a correction, the scheduled deadline for notorway is in 8months (December 2015) and constructor has requested a 5month extension to May 2016.

Due to Easter holiday, i passed the road twice this weeks and I will come back with a more details on the progress of A8. unfortunately without photos as I was also the driver
ariskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways