daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #221
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

hahaha :P lol i also like that word :p

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #222
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

Road numbering

Thank you about your comments. It is nice to see there are people concerned about the road numbering mess in Greece. A look at the photos in threads referring to other countries within the forum is enough to confirm what happens around the rest of the World.

Homo Faber was right to indicate that the 1963 list does not include NR8a for the ‘new’ road from Athens to Patra. I did not explain it in detail just to save space within a long message. In fact the Kyparissia to Tsakona spur (NR9a) is not included too. The ministerial decision Γ25871/1963 shows only just two spurs suffixed with an ‘a’. These are NR16a at Halkidiki and the NR34a at Pilio. This seems strange as there are lots of numbers unused (10, 11, 19, 23, 32, 37, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49, 52, 61, 93, 96 and 98).

It was kind to let me know about some more numbers issued afterwards and also which numbers were assigned for some Greek motorways. It has been difficult for me to find any accurate information including the ‘Mitroo Ethnikon Odon’ published by the Statistics Service – ESYE in 1998. However, I have seen at Wikipedia that Egnatia was given number 105, while on a map by a Greek publisher there are also numbers 102, 110 and 111 given to the coastal road from Igoumenitsa to Preveza, Attiki Odos, and the Thessaloniki Ring Road! I think the map is confusing as it does not distinguish between motorways and national roads.

If anybody has a full updated list of motorway and national road numbers, it will be nice to see it somewhere. Last week I found some road classification decisions published in 2007. In some cases some new roads were assigned as national, but without any assigned number. These publications include three roads that connect Patra Ring Road with the city centre and the new port, a road at Thesprotia connecting Igoumenitsa with the Albanian border near Sagiada via Nea Selefkeia, one road west of Trikala used as an alternative to NR30, the Karditsa to Arta road via Mouzaki, the Dafni – Krokees shortcut that connects NR39 with NR86 and a road that will connect the future E65 motorway between the Smokovo exit and NR3. Also I have found a number of decisions referring to the national roads in Ipeiros, Ionia Nisia, Notio Aigaio and Kriti. They state all the designated national roads but numbers are mentioned only according to the 1963 list.

As far as motorway numbering is concerned, it is strange that the A1, A2, A5, A7, A8, A9 and A90 correspond to national roads nearby, while Attiki Odos has been given A6 without having any relation to NR6. Another thing to decide is whether the prefix A should be shown on signs. It seems that nobody uses it except the gentlemen who sign Egnatia Odos who also went to ‘advertise’ their bright idea in their internet site. By the way I forgot to state yet another impressive thing regarding Egnatia Odos. Sometime ago they decided to number their exits. When they decided to do so, it is certain that they knew exactly how many exits they had built or they still had to build. And then they produced a numbering sequence that runs from exit 1 to exit 43 for about 60 exits (!), and so needing to use suffixed numbers.

I see no problem if the governmental agencies finally decide if they will assign motorway numbers according to the nearby national roads or to the spurs logic (A6 – A61 – A62 etc or A1 – A11 etc). In the first option there will be the oddity of Attiki Odos and its spurs. If they follow the spurs logic, I do not see which number could be given to the motorway in Kriti (considering the spurs logic, A90 should be a spur of A9 – by the way A4 is spare).

Also does anybody know the numbers assigned for the E65 (A3?), the E79 (A12?) and the Halkidiki (A16 or A67?) motorways? Another question is if the new Kozani to Ptolemaïda road is classified as motorway or as fast traffic road. If it has been signed as motorway A3, I do not think that they will be able to give the same number to the E65. Problems, problems….

Hopefully, Homo Faber is right when he refers to an intended updated study about road numbering. An official publication with all motorway and national road numbers is strongly needed. This should be used as reference by those people who put up the signs in order to minimize the funny things described on the previous message or other ones you all might have spotted elsewhere. And considering they have used A642, they may use 3-digit numbers for unnumbered national roads. If they wish to stay with 1- or 2-digit numbers I think they should take away from the list some peculiar national roads leading to military airfields (NR58 – Elefsina, NR60 – Megara, NR64 – Araxos, NR78 – Andravida, NR72 – Tripoli, NR80 – Kalamata, NR40 – Agrinio, NR46 – Tanagra, NR28 – Larisa, NR71 – Nea Anghialos, NR92 – Kastelli Pediados and NR88 – Rodos). Also roads leading to archaeological sites may need reconsideration (NR17 – Dodoni, NR68 – Mykines, NR76 – Vasses, NR81 – Amfiareio, NR70 – Asklipieio Epidavrou, NR88 – Mystras, NR29 – Moni Osiou Louka and NR25 – Ahilleio Kerkyras).

PS. The E75 follows a not-needed diversion through Thessaloniki via NR2 and A2 and then rejoins A1 at the Axios interchange. Therefore a small section of A1/NR1 has been left without an E number. It would be better to extend E86 from Agios Athanasios to Thessaloniki and leave E75 along the A1/NR1.

PS2. Of course, there are some cases of left exits at interchanges abroad – mainly in North America but just a few in Europe. In the two Greek cases there is no much problem at Axios as the majority of traffic coming from Athina goes straight ahead towards Thessaloniki than towards Evzonoi, while in the southbound more traffic from Evzonoi heads towards Athina rather than towards Thessaloniki, but at Korinthos it is another story. Surely the most frequent destinations when coming from Athina continues ahead towards Patra rather than towards Tripoli and from Tripoli most cars head towards Athina rather than towards Patra. I think that there is an auxiliary right-hand exit for slow moving vehicles heading from Athina to Tripoli but I am not sure.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #223
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

When will the road to the BG boarder get ready?
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #224
alter100

Likes (Received): 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgplayer19 View Post
When will the road to the BG boarder get ready?
According to the planning..... In the end 2008(

Last edited by alter100; April 11th, 2008 at 07:22 PM.
alter100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #225
bgplayer19

Really !No wonder! !When i passed two weeks ago they were working very hard
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM   #226
Draminoss

EMC 4
Until Serres 2008
Until Thessaloniki 2010/2011
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #227
rick123

Likes (Received): 31

No highway to Evzoni, right?
rick123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #228
Draminoss

A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
No highway to Evzoni, right?
The Motorway A1 (Aegean-Motorway) to Evzoni is absolutly sure in the Greek Trafic Networks.
The part is very easy to construct!
I think in 3 or 4 Jears the part are ready.
The Interchange with the E.O. 2 (National Road) and the Interchange-A2/A1 are ready and the rest of the 42 km are not a problem.the bridges how cross over are to raedy.
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #229
rick123

Likes (Received): 31

nice then!
rick123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #230
bgplayer19

That's a relief if Struma is finished after 2011 there will be no need for borders (Bulgaria will be in Schengen until then)

Last edited by bgplayer19; July 1st, 2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:05 PM   #231
horiababu

To Greek and Bulgarian forumers: is the Momchilgrad-Komotini border opened?
Thanks in advance.
horiababu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:10 PM   #232
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

Likes (Received): 12

Well the Komotini-Nemphea raod, which is one of the egnatia (A2) vertical axes is U/C so i guess there is not a motorway there, but the border does probably works as usual, so it most likely open.
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM   #233
horiababu

Thank you, this is what i know too.
Old April 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #234
horiababu

I'm returning with a question. Echinos Xanthi border is open? I'd appreciate an answer, thanks.
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #235
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

According to this map , thats shows the progress of the Egnatia (A2) motorway neither echinos nor nympea border crossings are working, and apparently there are three crossings currently working and will be five in the near future, the working ones are:Promachonas, Eksohi and Ormenio, and the best choice is Promachonas crossing since most of it is updated on motorway standards.

Where do you wanna go anyway?
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #236
horiababu

I wanna go to Athina from Bucharest and I'm sure it's better to cross Bulgaria the most straighten way possible and then take egnatia odos. Altough there are 30 km more by this way, i skip that horrible sofia-kulata part. And i'll see also Makedonia and Thrace this way.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #237
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης

Well apparently this should be your choice, though you will only see Macedonia and not Thrace :

image hosted on flickr
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM   #238
porche carrera

i d like to see more pictures about egnatia
porche carrera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #239
horiababu

Thanks for your help, but i saw Macedonia a lot of times. I just wanted to look for alternatives. Have a nice day!
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #240
porche carrera

how you can upload the photos????????
porche carrera no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways