daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #521
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244681

Yes, it is O.K. and there are efforts to become more great
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #522
Pete1974

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik the Greek View Post
@ Pete1974 you`re welcome
This is my idea=
You can drive from Kerkini over Himaros (left side from River Strimonas/Struma) to Strimeniko, so you come back to E-79(A-25) and drive to Thessaloniki.

@LANGHAM
The Egnatia-Odos (A-2) is fully driveable at 30.5.2009
except the Part from S2 Tunnel, this finished at first week of July 2009, this is a little
3 km part.

look here:

http://www.egnatia.eu/page/default.asp?la=2&id=39

Thanks again Nik!

I still haven't made my decision ...in the meantime I have searched for the Polikastro I/C on google Earth and I have found it.Really easy to enter the A1.

Regarding the route option along side Lake Kerkini up to E79,you are right...it is far better option than driving back towards Serres.
I don't now why I haven't thought myself at this route
So now I have 3 routes from which I should choose
Pete1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #523
Pete1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post
Dear Pete1974

The mentioned interchange is on the site you mention. It is indicated as "Πολύκαστρο Polykastro, Κιλκίς Kilkis". It's the second exit after entering Greece from FYROM (the first is Evzonoi).
Hi ea1969!

You are right...it seems that that I haven't looked very careful!In the meantime I have already found it on the Google Earth,like I just wrote to Nik...
In your opinion which route I should choose between these 3?

So,coming from Bulgaria I have the following options:

1.classic route via Serres,Thessaloniki-Egnatia
2.Promahonas-Kerkini - A1 near Polikastro-Egnatia
3.going south from Kerkini up to E79 - Thessaloniki and of course Egnatia

I prefer very much driving on fast and in good condition roads with 2 + 2 lanes and not crowded(don't we all?),but for instance if I should choose between an expressway 2+2 but which is very crowded and a simple road 1+1 not crowded,I will always choose the second option.

Thanks everybody for replying!
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #524
Pete1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaro View Post
It seems we're queueing up on our way to Lefkada.

I have another question. What is the best way to reach Lefkada in the final part of the road - getting by A2 Egnatia Odos to Igoumenitsa and then the E55, the road that goes by the sea, to Lefkada or taking the shortcut near Ioanina and E951 via Filippias and then Lefkada?

Euxaristo in advance!
Hi Zaro!

I've noticed that you are also going to Lefkada...when are you leaving?
I still have a little more that 1 month to wait...
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #525
Zaro
Just a freak

Likes (Received): 3144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1974 View Post
Hi Zaro!

I've noticed that you are also going to Lefkada...when are you leaving?
I still have a little more that 1 month to wait...
I'm going in September. So, I'll be waiting for your impressions
В известен смисъл мирогледът на партията се възприемаше най-безусловно от хора, които не бяха способни да вникнат в него. Тях можеха да накарат да приемат и най-грубите изопачавания на действителността, защото те не можеха да схванат напълно чудовищността на онова, което се изискваше от тях, и не се интересуваха достатъчно от обществения живот, за да забележат какво става.
"1984"
Zaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #526
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Hi ea1969!

You are right...it seems that that I haven't looked very careful!In the meantime I have already found it on the Google Earth,like I just wrote to Nik...
In your opinion which route I should choose between these 3?

So,coming from Bulgaria I have the following options:

1.classic route via Serres,Thessaloniki-Egnatia
2.Promahonas-Kerkini - A1 near Polikastro-Egnatia
3.going south from Kerkini up to E79 - Thessaloniki and of course Egnatia

I prefer very much driving on fast and in good condition roads with 2 + 2 lanes and not crowded(don't we all?),but for instance if I should choose between an expressway 2+2 but which is very crowded and a simple road 1+1 not crowded,I will always choose the second option.

Thanks everybody for replying!
On the first option you may drive more kilometres on a motorway, but note that there are still sections under construction and in some cases these roadworks affect the existing national roads which run in parallel and get the diverted traffic.

Option 2 is a bit slow at the beginning - after the Neo Petritsi I/C, but it probably will be quiet and also passes from some scenic sections. If I had time, I would choose this.

Option 3 is the less viable because you will not avoid much of the roadworks problem as shown in option 1 and also you will have go through a slower road at the beginning before entering the E79.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #527
Pete1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaro View Post
I'm going in September. So, I'll be waiting for your impressions
I would prefer it the other way around....but of course I'll revert with impressions
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #528
Pete1974

Quote:
On the first option you may drive more kilometres on a motorway, but note that there are still sections under construction and in some cases these roadworks affect the existing national roads which run in parallel and get the diverted traffic.

Option 2 is a bit slow at the beginning - after the Neo Petritsi I/C, but it probably will be quiet and also passes from some scenic sections. If I had time, I would choose this.

Option 3 is the less viable because you will not avoid much of the roadworks problem as shown in option 1 and also you will have go through a slower road at the beginning before entering the E79.
Thanks a lot for your very useful informations!
The second option was my choice also.Are there many tight turnings on the route from Promahonas to Polikastro?
Old May 20th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #529
ea1969
R21

Quote:
Are there many tight turnings on the route from Promahonas to Polikastro?
It is not a main road but on the other hand is not very difficult to drive. And it will be quiet with the probable case of an agricultural tractor here or there.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM   #530
Aggelos

Likes (Received): 2

A question...in european highways which countries have english in the road signs?
only Greece and balkans have that..but how I will understand the roads in spain,germany,Italy etc?Eu have some regulation of common language?There must be such things...
Im greek ...and it looks strange signs only in german or French etc...
Aggelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:31 AM   #531
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos View Post
A question...in european highways which countries have english in the road signs?
only Greece and balkans have that..but how I will understand the roads in spain,germany,Italy etc?Eu have some regulation of common language?There must be such things...
As you may know, EU has 23 official languages. No such thing like "common language" exists. It will be ridiculous, because not everybody speaks English, or French, or German... You will understand roadsigns everywhere in Europe, because they are made using pictograms and symbols - circular signs with red border and number inside always mean "Speed limit: XX". There are very few not quite understandable exceptions, but I think these are easily avoidable. And in most cases they are translated in English or in other languages.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM   #532
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Some runaway tracks or escape lanes have signs that are in Italian, French, English, German and Spanish, depending on location.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM   #533
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
An interesting video about driving in Greece:
Absolutely amazing video! You know, Souflia's obsession with infrastructure projects will truly pay off! I am very happy to see that Greece is catching up with western Europe as far as road quality is concerned, and this will have a very good impact for Greek economy as well. Of course, there is still work to be done
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM   #534
mitasis

Likes (Received): 857

It seems more like "Driving in Attiki Odos" video than "Driving in Greece"! 90% of it is from "Attiki odos", the ring road of Athens.
mitasis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:13 PM   #535
ea1969
R21

Quote:
For the case of Greece (as well as the Slavic countries which use the Cyrillic alphabet) the main point for the use of bilingual signs, is to show place names in the Roman alphabet as well. In this case they just use the exact transliteration from the Greek word. For example Αθήνα is shown as Athina, rather than as Athens. In the case of general words like Port, Airport, River etc. they use the English word as English is considered the main international language of the World.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:09 AM   #536
antovador
space wanderer

Likes (Received): 240

thanks there is latin alphabet and English on greek road because for me Π only mean 3.14159...not letter p and hope to go in greek road.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #537
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244681

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitasis View Post
It seems more like "Driving in Attiki Odos" video than "Driving in Greece"! 90% of it is from "Attiki odos", the ring road of Athens.
I have seen that video, and indeed its mostly Attiki Odos
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM   #538
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
For the case of Greece (as well as the Slavic countries which use the Cyrillic alphabet) the main point for the use of bilingual signs, is to show place names in the Roman alphabet as well. In this case they just use the exact transliteration from the Greek word. For example Αθήνα is shown as Athina, rather than as Athens. In the case of general words like Port, Airport, River etc. they use the English word as English is considered the main international language of the World.
Wouldn't it be more useful to sign the city names in English instead of exact transliteration? I mean the greeks look at the greek alphabet signing anyway and for foreigners English is easier to understand.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM   #539
ReiAyanami
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

No, because they are written like that on the maps too, therefore GPS etc
ReiAyanami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #540
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
only Greece and balkans have that...
I disagree...all city names on our signs are in english...as english uses their hungarian names.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways