daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2010, 06:39 PM   #741
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 710

This video was shot between Kozani and Veria (I recommend to turn off the sound, horrible music):

Here the traffic is MUCH heavier than in the previous video. The irony is that the most expensive part of A2 (which became even more expensive in order to protect 200 bears) is minimally used.

It is a pity that I live 500 kms away from Egnatia, so I have not had the chance to drive on it yet.

This is Kammena Vourla bypass on A1 (video from Dec 2007, didn’t bother to check if it has already been shown in this huge thread):

Last edited by nastyathenian; January 5th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #742
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

I think that the A2 is not only a motorway constructed for Bulgarian and Turkish truck drivers, but helps the tourism of Northern Greece. There has been a significant increase in visits by the inhabitants of Thessaloniki to Western Macedonia and Epirus and places with a tourist interest (Grevena, Kastoria, Zagoria, Parga, Kerkyra (Corfu), Lefkada etc.). Movement to Eastern Macedonia and Thrace has been helped too, as well as visits by Greeks to Constantinople (Istanbul).

However I FULLY agree that the A1 and the A8 should be the TOP PRIORITIES if we count the traffic volumes and the FATAL ACCIDENTS on these two routes. It was something that was correctly identified in the late 1950's and early 1960's when the 'new' national roads from Athens to Thessaloniki and Patra were constructed (by taking in mind the traffic volumes of the time), but was not clear to the Greek governments in the 1990's.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #743
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I too didn't understand why they don't improve A1 near the Tempe valley and much of A8 / 8A. Is Greece too Athens-centric? You hear that a lot in countries with a single dominating city, like France or the UK, or on a subnational scale: New York State.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #744
ea1969
R21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I too didn't understand why they don't improve A1 near the Tempe valley and much of A8 / 8A. Is Greece too Athens-centric? You hear that a lot in countries with a single dominating city, like France or the UK, or on a subnational scale: New York State.
What do you think considering that 40%+ of the population live in Greater Athens?
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #745
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, but do you think that is a free hand to neglect the rest of the country?
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #746
ea1969
R21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, but do you think that is a free hand to neglect the rest of the country?
Not at all. However, I think it is too late now. Plans and investments to develop the remote Greek regions have failed one after another mainly due to corruption but also due to the fact that many people in those regions just took the money and did not invest them at all. The result is that in 1971 out of 8.7 million inhabitants in Greece only 2.5 million (29%) were living in Athens while now out of 11 million there are more than 4 million in Athens (36+%).

As I said before, I supported the A2 idea (I need to add and the A3, A5, A9 and A90 ones), but I do not like at all to listen to the news of countless fatal accidents on the NR1 and NR8a (on non-motorway sections).
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #747
nastyathenian
Metrophile

This post is more personal, since all the following pictures were taken by me.

You all seem to be so familiar with the Greek road network, that I do not need to explain what you see in each picture.
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #748
ea1969
R21

Uhhhh! The sign on the 6th photo (A1 Malakasa Exit) suggests that if you leave the A1 on the exit you drive into the A5 (which of course is 200+ km away to the west).

Sorry for coming back into complaining all the time, but road signing in Greece is ridiculous!
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #749
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

where is that on the third photo, it feels like that i see it first time :O

Edit: Sorry, its still morning :P, its on Ymittos ring road isnt it ?
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #750
ea1969
R21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
where is that on the third photo, it feels like that i see it first time :O

Edit: Sorry, its still morning :P, its on Ymittos ring road isnt it ?
Yes it is. A64 above Glyka Nera
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #751
nastyathenian
Metrophile

That's right! Ymittos ring road and Patras ring road are my favorite among all the motorways I've driven on.
On the other hand I hate "Kifissos Avenue" as locals call it (i.e. the North-South motorway in Athens). Its central parts are always jammed. There are plans to add 4 more lanes (5+5 in total) but they do not seem to make progress.
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #752
Aggelos

Likes (Received): 2

New video of Egnatia Highway from Pindos10 and corfu ,members of stadia.gr forum in greece

beautifull Eh?
Aggelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #753
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

I drove the whole Egnatia(excepting last 10kms before Turkey) one week ago and I must say it's a really impressive motorway. Even if the traffic is not high, it should have been constructed because it drastically reduces time between Turkey and Igoumenitsa or Salonic and Ioannina.On Egnatia now the time spend on road is half than before and this says it all. I also drove the national roads around Ioannina, Grevena, Igoumenitsa, and these are very mountainous roads, almost impossible to drive there with a truck. I will come with pictures as fast as I can, now I am uploading them.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #754
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244614

Nice photos, nastyathenian epsecially the ring-road of Patra and Rio-Antirio bridge
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #755
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos View Post
New video of Egnatia Highway from Pindos10 and corfu ,members of stadia.gr forum in greece
beautifull Eh?
Look at post # 728.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #756
mitasis

Likes (Received): 857

I'm sorry Nasty-athenian but i think your toughts are really athens-centric. I agree that A1 motorway should be the top priority for Greece and its a shame for the country that parts of it are not still constructed (around 50 km at Maliakos and Tempi regions), but in my opinion A2 (egnatia) is a very critical construction for the regional development of Greece. Epirus, Western Macedonia, Eastern Macedonia and Thrace only one year after the construction of the motorway "feel" the development that a modern motorway can provide for these regions. Turism and trade that were unknown words for that regions start to be reality there. The distance between Thessaloniki and Istanbul has been reduced to 5,5 hours. Think how important is this for Northern Greece since Istanbul is a great metropolis of 15 million people. Distance between Thessaloniki and Igoumenitsa (the port which leads to Italy) has became 2,5 hours!!!!!! Unbelievable but so true! And so important, since last summer tourism at Ionian sea resorts, during a crisis time, has been risen due to "internal" turism because of Egnatia motorway. Maybe you see that the motorway at Metsovo area seems "empty", but i can assure you that the situation before was really hard for everybody.. since all these trucks and cars had to "climb" the whole mountain of Pindos to pass from eastern to western Greece. A2 motorway is a great construction for Greece and really really critical for the whole Northern Greece region, which, as you know, represents around than 30% of Greek population.
mitasis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #757
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyathenian View Post
There are plans to add 4 more lanes (5+5 in total) but they do not seem to make progress.
Is that true? Amazing :P But is there enough space to do that?
Old January 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #758
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244614

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyathenian View Post
On the other hand I hate "Kifissos Avenue" as locals call it (i.e. the North-South motorway in Athens). Its central parts are always jammed. There are plans to add 4 more lanes (5+5 in total) but they do not seem to make progress.
In Kifissos avenue? Sounds interesting...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #759
ea1969
R21

Widening of Kifissos Avenue (A1)

I do not think that there is a chance for widening as most of the motorway is elevated, unless they use as a normal lane the emergency lane / hard shoulder (ΛΕΑ), which the Greek drivers use anyway as they do not know (or pretend they do not know) the law.
Old January 9th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post
Widening of Kifissos Avenue (A1)

I do not think that there is a chance for widening as most of the motorway is elevated, unless they use as a normal lane the emergency lane / hard shoulder (ΛΕΑ), which the Greek drivers use anyway as they do not know (or pretend they do not know) the law.
Dutch:

Quote:
# Over de vluchtstrook rijden € 200,00
Driving on the shoulder. € 200 fine.

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways