daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1341
alter100

Likes (Received): 825

Highway A2 (Egnatia Odos)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rYHc-zV5SI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ux0OYaVvTU
alter100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Are there currently any government-funded motorway projects going on in Greece? I'm wondering about the motorway to Kalamata in particular.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1343
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

The only part which is public funded is this : http://maps.google.gr/maps?saddr=%CE...sz=13&t=h&z=13 and according to the latest news this part http://maps.google.gr/maps?saddr=%CE...sz=13&t=h&z=11 is going to be given to traffic in April.

Also the whole part of A2 and A1 (except the new Olympus Tunnels) the A7 and A8. Since 2008 there was a new Act where they privatised most of the Greek motorway network. Now the A1 , A7 , A8 and being run and maintained by private companies and all new roads that are being built right now are private.

Last edited by Angelos; February 15th, 2012 at 05:49 PM.
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1344
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

My newest video (from summer), uploaded yesterday.
Main road 5 - A5: (Arta - Agrinio bypass):

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1345
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244681

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Are there currently any government-funded motorway projects going on in Greece? I'm wondering about the motorway to Kalamata in particular.
As i know A7 road (that one goes to Kalamata) in the most parts is completed. The only parts that still are U/C (?) are the "broken" section just after Megalopoli which they still repair and the final part to Kalamata.
Perhaps anyone else can confirm those?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1346
Nik the Greek

Likes (Received): 3

Here some news from A-7 South part.

After the Elections in Greece they will be open this part from Tsakona up to Intechange Kalamata (@ Praktiker).
In the part of Region Messinias (Anthias & Ag.Florou) they have found some archeological between the bridges new and old Kita Pamisou.
And so the constructers needs more time for this part.

The Paramithia-Tsakona will be opened with a diversion 1000 m.
On this Part they build a Iron-Bridge, and finish in the sping of 2013.
Look at the Pictures on this site:

http://www.eleftheriaonline.gr/index...item&id=16584:
Nik the Greek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1347
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 710

Most Greeks do not know where "Tsakona" is. How do you expect foreign forumers to understand what you wrote?
Here is the map showing progress in A7:

http://www.moreas.com.gr

Last edited by nastyathenian; March 8th, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #1348
christos-greece
Moderator!

Great news Nik the Greek. Finally in few years A7 (all parts) will be completed. Thanks for the link also
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1349
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

From article which was published today in "Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung", in German.http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaf...-11685778.html
"Seit die EU-Kommission den griechischen Eigenanteil zur Finanzierung von gemeinsamen Projekten auf vorübergehend 5 Prozent gesenkt hat, sind die Projekte, die aufgrund der Krise eingestellt waren, wieder in Gang gekommen. Durch die Reduzierung des Eigenanteils fließen Griechenland nun zusätzlich 1,5Milliarden Euro zu. Wichtigstes der 181 Projekte ist der Ausbau von fünf Autobahnstrecken zu Gesamtkosten von 3,2 Milliarden Euro."
Please comment.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #1350
darko06

Likes (Received): 149

Is it possible that Greek authorities, due to the situation, somehow propose to European Commision to finance the building of so called Adriatic-Ionian motorway, from Trieste through Rijeka, Split, Ploče, Dubrovnik, Bar, Skhoder, Tirana to Ioannina and Athens?
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #1351
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 184

I will try to give the most possible accurate picture of the situation regarding the major road axes in Greece and the prospects – if there are any – for the coming months. Works on motorways is being considered as the most important item on the agenda for the restart of large infrastructure projects that were affected by the financial crisis. It seems to be the most demanding problem faced by the Ministry of Infrastructure and one of the biggest problems inherited by the current Government.

The axes that have been affected by the crisis and the current situation are as follows:

A1 (Aegean Motorway): This is the most important axis. Work needs to be done in the areas of Lamia and the Tempi Valley. These include the 3 big tunnels in Tempi that have opened up but not yet completed while there is still no connection to them. The A1 is the top priority for the Ministry and it is very likely to see the sites to be filled again soon.

A3 (Central Greece Motorway): It seems to be the most difficult case. After a kind of exaggeration a new alignment is required in the northern part due to environmental restrictions. The whole project shows quite a small percentage maturation and almost no progress was observed since 2006.

A5 (Ionian Motroway): The implementation of A5 is considered crucial as it will draw the region of Ipeiros (Epirus) from the peculiar isolation due to the Pindos mountain range, while it is part of the Adriatic – Ionian link that runs through Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece. The work carried out so far is less that 20% of the whole project.

A7/A71 (Moreas Motorway): It is the only axis in which works go on. The southern section of the A7 is expected to open by May 2013, while the whole A71 is expected to open by December 2013.

A8/A9 (Olympia Motorway): There is strong need to allocate the highest priority to the Korinthos - Patra section which carries significant traffic volumes. The southern part (Pyrgos – Tsakona) probably will not be constructed for at least this stage. [Please note that according to the 2008 road numbering schedule, the A9 has been renumbered as part of the A5, but this has not been confirmed yet as existing section – Patra Bypass – had already been signed as A9, while exit numbering on the A5 at Agrinio Bypass indicates that the motorway starts from Rio].

Things seem to have been defrozen regarding works on the remaining sections of the A25, A27 and A29, there are renewed discussions about motorway extensions in Attiki (Attica), while there is minimal progress on the A90 in Kriti (Creta).

The issue is particularly concerned about finding the funds that are more than 5 billion to complete all these axes of their operation will change forever the road of Greece in European levels.

The most likely scenario remains the contribution from the European Investment Bank. The question is then dominated by the crisis as how long the payback as economically ravaged citizens and the crazy price of petrol and do not allow high expectations.
Old March 17th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #1352
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post
[Please note that according to the 2008 road numbering schedule, the A9 has been renumbered as part of the A5, but this has not been confirmed yet as existing section – Patra Bypass – had already been signed as A9, while exit numbering on the A5 at Agrinio Bypass indicates that the motorway starts from Rio]
Patra Bypass was renumbered as A5! There are still some A9 signs, but the major signs show now A5. I took a picture last August while driving. It's rather bad since it was already dark and I could only use my Smartphone, but I think you can see that the sign shows A5:

stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #1353
treichard

Likes (Received): 0

I have a few questions as a result of the A9 --> A5 renumbering:

Is A9 going to be the designation for the north Crete motorway to replace EO90? Or will A9 be applied somewhere else in the motorway plans?

Is the Rio - Antirrio bridge currently motorway-standard and signed as A5? Or is it substandard with an EO number?

How about the short expressway (or motorway?) section from north Patra to the trumpet interchange to the east at Rio? A5 or EO8a or something else right now?

It will be interesting if Google Street View ever offers highway imagery for Greece.
http://cmap.m-plex.com/
treichard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1354
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
Patra Bypass was renumbered as A5! There are still some A9 signs, but the major signs show now A5. I took a picture last August while driving. It's rather bad since it was already dark and I could only use my Smartphone, but I think you can see that the sign shows A5:

A8 is the highway that connects Athens to Patra. I dont know if Patra's bypass is numbered as A5, but which road is A9?
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1355
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by treichard View Post
I have a few questions as a result of the A9 --> A5 renumbering:

Is A9 going to be the designation for the north Crete motorway to replace EO90? Or will A9 be applied somewhere else in the motorway plans?
There are currently no official plans known afaik.

Quote:
Is the Rio - Antirrio bridge currently motorway-standard and signed as A5? Or is it substandard with an EO number?
The bridge is motorway standard but it's not signed as A5 but as EO5 or EO5a (I didn't remember exactly but it was not A5)

Quote:
How about the short expressway (or motorway?) section from north Patra to the trumpet interchange to the east at Rio? A5 or EO8a or something else right now?
You mean the expressway into the city, right? That road is signed as EO8a afaik, but I didn't see it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
A8 is the highway that connects Athens to Patra. I dont know if Patra's bypass is numbered as A5, but which road is A9?
A9 is the old numbering of Patras bypass and the planned extension to Pyrgos and further. This numbering was changed 2008 and the number 5 was also given to that route (http://www.ggde.gr/index.php?option=...nload&gid=1270). So there is officially currently no A9.

Edit:
I tried to make the shaken image a bit sharper with some software tool.

Last edited by stickedy; March 17th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1356
ea1969
R21

The Rio - Antirrio Bridge is currently signed as EO5a with blue signs.

The quite short link between the start of Patra bypass and the entrance of the city is currently part of EO8a, but I think that there are no signs indicating this.

If the 2008 decision goes on - as there are plans of re-examining the motorway & national road numbering by the Ministry of Infrastructure - the A9 will not be used. Please note that odd numbers denote north-south routes and even numbers east-west routes, so that the A9 cannot be used in the motorway along the northern coast of Kriti.

Even if Patra bypass has been now signed as A5, I am still concerned why the exits of the A5 at Agrinio bypass are numbered 7, 8 and 9. This means that exits 1 to 6 are impossible to cover the whole A5 - if it continues south of Rio. But this may be just another oddity of Greek road signing as the company which constructs the Rio - Ioannina part (Ionia Odos) is different that the one which is responsible for the southern part (Olympia Odos) and seem that they "care" only for their bit while nobody in the Ministry cares too. And please note that although the motorway signing guidelines state that exits should be numbered by the km point and not 1, 2, 3... NOBODY follows these!

PS. The current A64 has been allocated as A61, but all signs still show A64 or to be precise 64 because Attiki Odos has not started implementing the motorway signing regulations (all A6, A62, A64, A65 and A642 signs do not indicate the prefix A).
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #1357
christos-greece
Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickedy View Post
A9 is the old numbering of Patras bypass and the planned extension to Pyrgos and further. This numbering was changed 2008 and the number 5 was also given to that route (http://www.ggde.gr/index.php?option=...nload&gid=1270). So there is officially currently no A9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post
The Rio - Antirrio Bridge is currently signed as EO5a with blue signs.

Even if Patra bypass has been now signed as A5, I am still concerned why the exits of the A5 at Agrinio bypass are numbered 7, 8 and 9. This means that exits 1 to 6 are impossible to cover the whole A5 - if it continues south of Rio. But this may be just another oddity of Greek road signing as the company which constructs the Rio - Ioannina part (Ionia Odos) is different that the one which is responsible for the southern part (Olympia Odos) and seem that they "care" only for their bit while nobody in the Ministry cares too. And please note that although the motorway signing guidelines state that exits should be numbered by the km point and not 1, 2, 3... NOBODY follows these!

PS. The current A64 has been allocated as A61, but all signs still show A64 or to be precise 64 because Attiki Odos has not started implementing the motorway signing regulations (all A6, A62, A64, A65 and A642 signs do not indicate the prefix A).
This is also my thought. After passing Rio - Antirio bridge (A5) when someone goes to Pyrgos (west), first he enters A8 until Patra and then A5 towards Pyrgos. Or the all section from the bridge (looking west), Patra to Pyrgos is A5 now?
Old March 17th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1358
ea1969
R21

This is not a great problem. It could be either an A5/A8 multiplex between Rio and the start of the Patra bypass or the A8 could end at Rio interchange and an A5x or A58x number could be given to the link to Patra City Centre from the start of the Patra Bypass up to the traffic lights where the old national road 8 merges.

PS. Another question: Is there a need (other than "upgrading" the status of Thessaloniki) to have allocated the A1 number both for the Axios - Evzonoi section as well as the Axios - Thessaloniki section which is well covered by the A2 so the A1/A2 multiplex could only cover the Kleidi - Axios section? Strange things...
Old March 18th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1360
nastyathenian
Metrophile

Likes (Received): 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavros86 View Post
And here are two videos from the local news agency pelopsnews:
Paradeisia - Tsakona part
I had the chance to drive on that part before it was destroyed by a landslide in 2003. I regretted the fact that there was no hard shoulder. As I can see in the video, after almost 10 years of reconstruction, there will still be no hard shoulder.
nastyathenian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways