daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1441
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

You can also seen the old alignment of NR9a towards the upper part of the picture (it continues straight ahead to the northeast than rather turning towards the southeast) and the junction with NR7. The former A7 exit to the NR9a old alignment was where the earthworks are visible (it was replaced with the GSJ at the front of the picture).

Last edited by ea1969; September 4th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1442
skyduster

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnorian View Post
Sorry for the off-topic, but I have to ask: Why are these hills around the motorway not reforested?
Quote:
I don't mean the area around the motorways disturbed by the construction, but the hills further out.
Quote:
It's called a Mediterranean biome.

What you see in the pictures ("the hills further out") are not deforested hills (contrary to what Tepes suggests. You would know if you're looking at a hill that was affected by a fire). What you're looking at in those pictures is just typical Mediterranean shrub.

Yes, many areas in Greece have forests with tall trees, but many areas in Greece (as well as Italy, Spain, Portugal, southern France, etc) are just shrubby, which is what you see in the pictures. Outside of Southern Europe, you'll find similar type of countryside in places like California.

That's how the Mediterranean biome is. One hill can be shrubby (like this picture from California), another can be very forested with tall trees, and another can be bare. And you can also have microclimates; the rain shadow effect is very common in Southern Europe: you can have green areas and dry areas very close to each other. The amount of soil on a rocky hill can also determine what type of vegetation can grow there (trees vs shrubs vs grass). And wild grasses that are green in the winter/spring, tend to turn a brown or gold color in the summer, because it doesn't rain in the summer. In the winter, they turn green again.

From your posts history, I gather you're Serbian. I can't believe I actually encountered someone from northern/central/eastern Europe that hasn't yet taken a holiday in the sunny South.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; September 4th, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1443
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

What font is used for national roads? (not the German-style motorways)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #1444
ea1969
R21

It is the British Transport, but since they introduced the German DIN1451 font on motorways, you may see also signs on other roads with the latter.

Complicated as usual in Greek signing!

PS. Since I know, you have started a chapter on Greek national roads on Wegenwiki, please have a look at my post numbered #1406 on this thread (page 71).
Old October 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1445
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What is the latest on the upgrade of EO8A to A8? On Greek-Motorway.net it says the conversion to a motorway should be finished in 2011.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1446
Angelos

Likes (Received): 447

It is supposed to be U/C but the construction has stopped about a year due to funding issues.
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1447
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When was EO10 added to the network of national highways? It was not in the 1955/1963 list, but apparently also wasn't added in 1998.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1448
Angelos

Where did you see EA10 ? i have no idea which road represents and i cant find any information about it...

Edit: i think it's the new motorway spur which goes to Chalkida from A1.

Edit2: Thats A11 :/

Edit3: I just saw at google earth that the whole part of A7 is added!

Last edited by Angelos; October 3rd, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM   #1449
ChrisZwolle
Road user

EO10 runs from Isthmia to Ligourio near Korinthos. It's about 60 km long.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1450
ea1969
R21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
When was EO10 added to the network of national highways? It was not in the 1955/1963 list, but apparently also wasn't added in 1998.
I don't know as even on a Government Newspaper publication of 1995, it is named as a national road but not numbered. However, it has been signed as NR10 on the A8 exit which leads to Epidavros. However despite this, I believe the numbering happened in the late 1980's.

To my opinion, NR10 is an “unlucky” allocation as it is more north-south than east-west route and it is also in the south of the country. A more proper number would be NR41.

I say this, as odd numbers denote north-south routes and even ones denote east-west routes. The gentlemen, back in 1963, made a decent allocation. Major routes took numbers 1 – 9 with 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 increasing to the south, which also was the case with routes 2, 4, 6 and 8. Then odd numbers 13 – 39 were all west of NR1 increasing to the south and routes 51 – 99 were all east of NR1 (odd routes in the Aegean Islands and Crete are virtually east of the axis of NR1) again increasing to the south. Also even numbers 12 – 94 increased from north to the south as well. NR10 could be more appropriately given to the most northern east-west route Kastanies – Ormenio, BG border, which is now being counted as a spur of NR51 (Ardani – Orestiada – Kastanies, TR border), although some sources state it as NR52.

I think that the successors of the “1963 committee” were as mediocre as the average Greek Public Sector worker, being appointed mainly by… nepotism and we finished to the current incomplete and messy system. A good example for my “bad-mannered”comments is that, the State paid a committee of 6 (six) persons (!!!), just to copy word by word the German motorway signing regulations (an official translation at the Translations Office of the Ministry of Exterior Affairs would cost nothing). Their only additions were the prefix “A” on motorway shields (which is not followed on all motorways – A1, A6, A62, A64, A65, A90, A642 signs “ignore” this), stating that exits should be numbered by the kilometre point and not sequentially (which nobody follows) and changing by necessity the colours from blue and yellow of German roads to green and blue of the Greek ones.

Last edited by ea1969; October 3rd, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #1451
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 552

Actually ChrisZwolle and Olymbia Odos are right.
In the Registry of Greek National Roads, issued in 1998 by the Hellenic Statistical Authority, the road from Ismia to the Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus is numbered as National Road 10.
Of course, in the original list (1963) of the Greek National Roads, the NR10 is not listed.
Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #1452
EUSERB
Anti-EU

Likes (Received): 2523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post

It is supposed to be U/C but the construction has stopped about a year due to funding issues.
one (kind of stupid) question,why is the Athens-Patras highway still mostly under construction,while there are a lot of highways that are way less important (in my opinion) that are finished more or less (like the ioanina-patras and the one leading to prespa lake)?

Сербы в Новороссии / Serbs in Novorossiya
EUSERB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1453
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Athina - Patras is already a high-standard (though not adequate) road, with grade-separation and 1x2 / 2x2 lanes. I agree though that this route should be upgraded to a full motorway.

The A27 in northern Greece is important for the energy sector. 70% of Greece's electricity is generated within a few kilometers of A27 (chiefly lignite-fueled power plants).
Old October 5th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #1454
ea1969
R21

You are right, Chris.

Another thing that should be considered is to whom has each new motorway been awarded to for its construction, maintenance and profiting from its use. Most consortia or single companies which have been awarded certain motorways, do face financial or liquidity problems, banks do not offer loans and the expected profits seem to go down due to a decrease on traffic volumes (ie. less money from toll).
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1455
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244321

About A8 motorway (Korinthos - Patra) what's going on that road? As the works stopped or is still U/C?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1456
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Has A7 now been completed all the way to Kalamata? I believe the deadline was October.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM   #1457
Angelos

It is postponed for the end of December...
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1458
christos-greece
Moderator!

I need to ask about the status of construction of A3 (Lamia, Trikala, Egnatia road con.). What's going on, some parts are allready completed or nothing so far?
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:22 PM   #1459
ea1969
R21

Absolutely nothing. There has been a lot of debate recently for the project all together, due to the known problems with banks, the government, the constructors, the crisis etc. And nevertheless there is still the problem for the northern section (Kalampaka - A2) regarding the environmental concerns.

Very doubtful if the A3 goes on.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #1460
christos-greece
Moderator!

Not so good news; anyway let's hope for the best

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways