daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old April 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #1521
stickedy

Likes (Received): 27

Ah, thanks! The articles states that the section from Lefktro to Pellanas will be opened. That's the whole part from the interchange with A7 and this makes sense then.

Thanks for the link!

Then there's the question left how long it will take to drive from Pellanas to Sparti and how good the road is. Looks pretty curvy on Google Maps... Anyone been driving there?
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1522
Gaetano Caridi

Likes (Received): 82

Do you have information and photos about the motorway from Thessaloniki to Sandanski!When it is going to be finished!
Gaetano Caridi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #1523
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 36

It seems that it may be completed by the end of 2014.

Current situation: http://www.egnatia.eu/files/images/v...nePage_ENG.jpg

Gaetano Caridi liked this post
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #1524
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 53849

The black sections are completed?
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #1525
MichiH

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
The black sections are completed?
Yes.
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1526
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 5019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post

Thanks for the info. It will very good if they manage to complete the rest of A25 by the end of 2014.

btw, a section near Rizana is without emergency lanes and with sharp curves. I guess they've decided to save some money because of the mountinous terrain.
Old May 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1527
ea1969
R21

I am not sure because I have never been there, but I think you may refer to the section around Dorkada and Lahanas, which was constructed as a new alignment of EO12 back in the late 1970s and was absorbed by the A25 (with EO12 re-routed along the old alignment). If we mean the same section, they may have deliberately left it without a hard shoulder for the end of the construction, as at least it has a 2+2 width; they may have given priority to the completely new sections first.
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1528
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 5019

I mean this section here: http://goo.gl/maps/NNi8R

It was upgraded to 2x2 road without hard shoulder maybe 2 or 3 years ago.
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #1529
ea1969
R21

It is immediately to the north of the section I indicated, so you may be right in your consideration.

gogo3o liked this post
Old May 12th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #1530
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Regarding to prefixes for national roads, OSM uses EO for Ethniki Odos.

Is there a classification system for Provincial roads too?

As for EO1, if it starts at Syntagma, then how does it get through the complex one way system of Omonia to get to Metamorfosi via Nea Philadelphia?
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1531
ea1969
R21

Provincial roads are also numbered on a county (prefecture) basis. The Greek term is "επαρχιακές οδοί" - also EO; in Greek they tend to use Επ.Ο. These numbers are not shown on signs; even national road signs are not usually shown away from motorways.

EO1: My suggestion...

Out --> Syntagma - Panepistimiou - Omonoia - 3is Septemvriou - Marni - Patision - Halkidos - Dekeleias
In --> Dekeleias - Halkidos - Patision - Aiolou - Stadiou - Syntagma.
Old May 13th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #1532
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Hi,

thanks for the reply, but north of Metamorfosi it doesn't seem that the roads that go parallel to A1 connect with each other properly without having to do tedious u-turns. When does EO1 start running parallel? I was thinking that north of Metamorfosi, EO1 goes:

Metamorfosi - Lykovrysi (Central) in West Marousi, then along L. Sofokli Venizelou, Tositsa, Lira then Tatoiou, before running parallel at Erythraia junction, north of Nea Erythraia.

Which might mean that the route via Marousi is EO83?

Also, where someone said "83 Spur: Athina: NR83 – NR91", that should be the EO83a link at Agios Stefanos if EO1 starts running parallel north of Nea Erythraia.

Last edited by Antje; May 13th, 2013 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Extra note.
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1533
ea1969
R21

Hello.

You are right about your first point (that problem in Metamorfosi), but consider that in Greece the situation regarding road numbering is terrible. National roads were numbered in 1963 and some more numbers were added later, but without any proper consideration.

The A1 follows the alignment of the previous ‘new’ EO1 for quite large parts of its route. Also when EO1 was initially constructed in the 60s and 70s, it absorbed most of the alignment of the pre-existing road (exceptions were in the north of Attica, between Lamia and Velestino and between Katerini and Evzonoi – the ‘new’ road at these sections was numbered as EO1a). So when the motorway was constructed, there were large gaps of a non-motorway traffic route, some of which I assume that they were covered by the motorway service roads. Therefore there are some discontinuations on the alternative service road like the one you have spotted.

The main problem is that both authorities and most drivers do not seem to undertand that a motorway (and a ‘fast traffic motorroad’ – expressway) have entry restrictions for certain categories of vehicles and pedestrians and thus have not completed/re-routed the national road network to cater for alternative routes for vehicles not allowed to enter motorways. For example, you cannot go to Athens Airport if you are not allowed to enter the A62 motorway (unless you get the metro/train; the northern entry is closed for unauthorised vehicles) or visit the North Attica Traffic Police premises if you do not use the A1; there are also some such gaps on the A90 in Crete (east of Souda).

EO83 runs via Kifisias Avenue. The small spur at Agios Stefanos between A1/EO1 and EO83 is just a connecting spur without number. EO83a is connecting EO83 and EO91 via Vasileos Konstantinou Ave. – Ardittou – Kallirrois.

For the situation back in 1975 (the only official map available) please go to http://dlib.statistics.gr/portal/pag...5&p_derive=map and download the pdf file. There will be some clarification (national roads are shown in red, provincial ones in green).

We need to redraft road numbering (especially for national roads), but I doubt it, as people do not use road numbers in everyday use, because they do not know them or do not trust the authorities due to lack or mistkes on numbers appearing on signs.

Antje liked this post
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1534
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Yasou from London,

Well, I sense that trying to clear up the system on OpenStreetMap is not only going to be hard, but a nightmare. Only 5 hours ago, I thought EO83 ran to Syngrou, until post #1533 placed EO83a in Central Athens bypassing the Zappeion, meaning that the Zappeion road is in fact just an unclassified town road.

On the plus side, the advantage for my latest contributions for OSM is that Google, Bing and Nokia Maps are totally wrong, not only because of the bad guesswork and overlapping numbers, but also the flawed assumption of EO1 being totally replaced by A1 in many parts, despite the fact that not all types of traffic are not able to use motorways.

So far, two questions I have in my mind:
- Where does EO89/EO91 actually meet? Lavrio or Sounio?
- Most importantly, what are the numbers for the Provincial roads in Attica and the Peloponnese (the pilot areas): At present we are using an in-house system based on destinations (e.g. Sparta-Leonida is "Spa-Leo").

Last edited by Antje; May 13th, 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Forgot salutation!
Old May 13th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1535
suvi genije

Likes (Received): 97

Dear friends, what is going on with missing parts of The-Ath motorway (Tempi and Stylida)?
Any photo update?
suvi genije no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #1536
ea1969
R21

@Antje

It is nightmare. See also that funny that the A1 goes to Evzonoi, but also has a spur to Thessaloniki which is identical to the A2! I did my best in that list some pages back on this thread, but still I have some doubts myself too (Post 1406-page 71).

EO89/EO91 meet at Sounio and it is the EO89 which goes all the way up to the Cape.

For provincial roads, please try the following: http://www.et.gr/idocs-nph/search/pd...LDd0j4pHvNcviI. Unfortunately, it is only in Greek and also as it dated back to 1956 (!!!) you may find some old names or spellings. Please also note that at the time the Kozani Prefecture included the current Grevena Perfecture and that in some island prefectures with more than one inhabited island, there are separate systems for each island.

In case that the link does not open please go to http://www.et.gr/index.php?option=co...id=104&lang=el and ask for year 1956 – Volume A – Issue Number 47 and download the pdf.

Good luck!

solchante liked this post

Last edited by ea1969; May 13th, 2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #1537
Antje
Public Transport Fan

Re: #1536

That leaves me to come up with prefixes since the numbers overlap. Do provinces have codes like AT for Attiki?
Old May 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1538
ea1969
R21

Hello. Unfortunately there are no official prefixes for prefectures. An idea is to be based on car plate registrations taking the first allocation given to each prefecture as follows:

Ahaļa: AX - Aitoloakarnania: ME - Amfissa: AM - Argolida: AP - Arkadia: TP - Arta: AT - Attiki: YA - Dodekanisa: PO ((problem here! Separate system for each major island; You may consider a third letter to add for each island other than Rodos and for Kos Island: KX) - Drama: PM - Evros: EB - Evrytania: KH - Evvoia: XA - Florina: PA - Fthiotida: MI - Grevena: PN (you may keep the numbers allocated to Kozani back in 1956 and alter the prefix) - Halkidiki: XK - Hania: XN - Hios: XI - Ileia: HA - Imathia: HM - Ioannina: IN - Irakleio: HP - Karditsa: KA - Kastoria: KT - Kavala: KB - Kefallinia: KE - Kerkyra: KY - Kilkis: KI - Korinthia: KP - Kozani: KZ - Kyklades: EM (problem here! Separate system for each major island; You may consider a third letter to add for each island other than Syros) - Lakonia: AK - Larisa: PI - Lasithi: AN - Lefkada: EY - Lesvos: MY - Magnisia: BO - Messinia: KM - Pella: EE - Pieria: KN - Preveza: PZ - Rethymno: PE - Rodopi: KO - Samos: MO - Serres: EP - Thesprotia: HN - Thessaloniki: NA - Trikala: TK - Voiotia: BI - Xanthi: AH - Zakynthos: ZA.

It is not official, but at least it is a proposal.

Good luck (again).
Old May 18th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1539
neaguionutu

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post

I was in Thessaloniki between April 8 to 15.
What I noticed on the A 25 (Promachonas - Thessaloniki) :
From the intersection Neo Petritsi up to Strimoniko, he begins two-lane highway was disturbing to drive and noisy because of the road is bumpy.
Not working at all, everything is left because of poorly maintained portion of the road above the park and is now starting to hurt.
neaguionutu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #1540
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaguionutu View Post
I was in Thessaloniki between April 8 to 15.
What I noticed on the A 25 (Promachonas - Thessaloniki) :
From the intersection Neo Petritsi up to Strimoniko, he begins two-lane highway was disturbing to drive and noisy because of the road is bumpy.
Not working at all, everything is left because of poorly maintained portion of the road above the park and is now starting to hurt.
Were any construction activities visible?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways