daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #141
radi6404
Registered User
 
radi6404's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blagoevgrad/ Nürtingen
Posts: 3,054
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ You're the one to say that.


Btw, how many of you people are interested in photos of roads under construction? Cause I'm not. Of course you have all the right to post such photos, I'm just asking.
Yes, but I also diss my countries roads, read in the eastern european section and also in the Bulgarian motorways section that I do complain about my roads too, I never heard him saying anything against Croatian roads, he´s just prising them.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #142
Almopos
Pacta sunt servanda
 
Almopos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Londinium
Posts: 2,803
Likes (Received): 2563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Btw, how many of you people are interested in photos of roads under construction?
I do! That's why I post them in this thread and like to look at them in other threads. If you don't like them don't look at them.

Here are some pictures of stretches of the Egnatia highway that have been completed specially for you.

Asprovalta - Strimona (pictures taken by stadia.gr member Mozart)













Almopos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #143
Almopos
Pacta sunt servanda
 
Almopos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Londinium
Posts: 2,803
Likes (Received): 2563

Egnatia highway (Rentina - Asprovalta)











Pictures taken by stadia.gr member Mozart
Almopos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #144
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almopos View Post
If you don't like them don't look at them.
OMG, I know that, I was just asking. And nice photos.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #145
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,469
Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Yes, but I also diss my countries roads, read in the eastern european section and also in the Bulgarian motorways section that I do complain about my roads too, I never heard him saying anything against Croatian roads, he´s just prising them.
you didn't read enough carefully. i almost never talk superb things about croatian motorways, i leave to other forumers to discuss about them. i like to hear other's opinion, i'm not interesting into my opinion.

Greece has great motorways, full of really interesting objects and that's what i really prize a lot. and Greeks are not showing us boring pics of straight motorways without objects. when they come nearly to end with their network, i'll be completely amazed. and allready now i can say just WOW because other things leave me speechless considering about greek motorways.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #146
mitasis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 1,363
Likes (Received): 857

Nice pics! Egnatia odos will be one of the best European highways when it is finished!
mitasis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #147
ovem
Commieblocks fan
 
ovem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 6,824
Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Nice pics! Egnatia odos will be one of the best European highways when it is finished!
that's not far away...
__________________
My tumblr
ovem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #148
Angelos
Registered User
 
Angelos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Athens of the north
Posts: 583
Likes (Received): 447

yep,its almost finished
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #149
radi6404
Registered User
 
radi6404's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blagoevgrad/ Nürtingen
Posts: 3,054
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
you didn't read enough carefully. i almost never talk superb things about croatian motorways, i leave to other forumers to discuss about them. i like to hear other's opinion, i'm not interesting into my opinion.

Greece has great motorways, full of really interesting objects and that's what i really prize a lot. and Greeks are not showing us boring pics of straight motorways without objects. when they come nearly to end with their network, i'll be completely amazed. and allready now i can say just WOW because other things leave me speechless considering about greek motorways.
I know your stupid sarcasm and the motorway you say is straight has interesting things like changing 300 m evelation many bridges and so on.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #150
ea1969
R21
 
ea1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 181

Greek Road numbering

Greece has constructed a lot of motorways and other major roads in the last few years, but the situation in road numbering seems at least ridiculous. National roads have been numbered in 1963; of course there are hundreds of kilometres constructed since then. These new roads have been classified as national roads but it seems they are still unumbered. The 1963 system had left quite a significant amount of numbers unused, probably reserved for future use (ie. 10, 11, 23, 32, 41 etc.), but nothing was done since then.

When motorways were constructed, it was decided to use the German shield on the signs in order to indicate the motorway number. In general motorways took the number of the national road they have replaced or bypassed. The sole exception is Attiki Odos which has been numbered A6 and its branches which have been numbered foolowing a "tree system" (A61, A62 etc.). In that case, somebody has also decided to use a 3-digit number (A642), without any need for it.

The shields on the signs have followed the German or Swiss system, without indicating the prefix A in front of the number, because motorways are a distinctive class of roads. Therefore all shields on signs on the PATHE (Athens - Evzonoi / A1) show 1 or on Attiki Odos (A6) show 6. However, on Egnatia Odos the prefix A is shown on all signs. (You may see the photogarphs of Egnatia Odos in this forum). [By the way it was decided to use capital letters on all motorway signs in order to be better visible on high speeds, but on Egnatia lately they started using signs with small letters].

A problem also occurs on the PATHE section to Korinthos. Some signs show 8, while some others show 8A (surely they have used the number of the "new national road" replaced by the motorway - National Road 8 refers to the "old national road). There was also a case at the Aspropyrgos exit - it may still be there - where signs show(ed) E8 (!), a European road number in nothern Finland.

Attiki Odos on the other hand uses along with (A)6 the European number E94. This may be OK for the section Elefsina - Metamorfosi if someone considers that this stretch has replaced the west entrance to Athens via Athinon Avenue. But it is 100% wrong to extend E94 further to the east up to the Athens Int'l Airport Interchange.

I think it is time to create a comprehensive system that will be used on signs as well. All European countries, including Albania, Iceland or even the Faroe Islands show road numbers on signs; Greece uses them only in motorways and in a few other cases. The funny stituation is also reflected to road map publishers, where they do not know what to use and there are a lot of differencies between maps, while others like Michelin shows only European numbers.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #151
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,603
Likes (Received): 19391

I found Greek highway numbering quite confusing indeed.

Maybe it's an idea to number motorways with an A-number, and ordinary (national) highways with a N-number, or the Greek equivalent of it.

I don't like E-numbering as the main numbering scheme. There are always motorways who don't have an E-number, so you still get 2 kinds of numbers for the same type of road. They made that mistake in Belgium, and the Scandinavian countries. The prefix should immediatly tell what kind of road you are driving (on) to.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #152
radi6404
Registered User
 
radi6404's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blagoevgrad/ Nürtingen
Posts: 3,054
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I found Greek highway numbering quite confusing indeed.

Maybe it's an idea to number motorways with an A-number, and ordinary (national) highways with a N-number, or the Greek equivalent of it.

I don't like E-numbering as the main numbering scheme. There are always motorways who don't have an E-number, so you still get 2 kinds of numbers for the same type of road. They made that mistake in Belgium, and the Scandinavian countries. The prefix should immediatly tell what kind of road you are driving (on) to.
i like E numbering of nationalroads, in ermany for example they don´t E-number any road, jsut their own numbering sheme, here in bulgaria they just use E-nmbers. you greek guys have the same problem then we, we don´t number second and thirdclass roads, only main national and ransitroads.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #153
RawLee
Registered User
 
RawLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 9,447
Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
i like E numbering of nationalroads, in ermany for example they don´t E-number any road, jsut their own numbering sheme, here in bulgaria they just use E-nmbers. you greek guys have the same problem then we, we don´t number second and thirdclass roads, only main national and ransitroads.
I suppose E-numbers are good for international traffic,especially for trucks,because they dont really need to have a local,up-to-date map,because the E-road's destinations dont change...but if a country only uses E-numbers,thats not good,because it confuses locals. This is just my opinion,and thats what we use(both E and local numbers).
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #154
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,469
Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I suppose E-numbers are good for international traffic,especially for trucks,because they dont really need to have a local,up-to-date map,because the E-road's destinations dont change...but if a country only uses E-numbers,thats not good,because it confuses locals. This is just my opinion,and thats what we use(both E and local numbers).
i agree, although E-numbers are becoming more formality. why? take example that you travel from Sweden to Greece. you're definitely not going to use E65 for that, although it connects Sweden and Greece. i only find Ex5 and Ex0 usefull because at Ex5 you know that you're traveling in S-N direction, and Ex0 E-W.

btw, i don't know why are we discussing it here while Greece (and mentioned Bulgaria) have A numbers for motorways and other for other roads. i don't like scandinavian countries' numbering, they use pure E numbers at motorways. also, i'm not too happy when A road follows same named N road (Poland, Hungary), but that's not too large problem.

Radi: i don't understand what is problem now
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #155
ea1969
R21
 
ea1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 181

Dear All. Greece uses E-numbers in a much more comprehensive way than national numbering - with the sole exception of the E94 subject mentioned on my previous message. On the other hand in a lot of cases E-roads follow very illogical routes and cannot be used for long trips, although their purpose should have been to be used for long trips!

However, the main problem in the Greek road numbering is not only the fact that it is not fully updated, but also that the companies which have built some of the new roads (ie. Egnatia Odos SA, Attiki Odos SA etc.) are also responsible for the road signs and seem to put on them whatever they like. I have seen a photo on a Dutch forum with a Greek sign indicating European Road E-000!
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #156
radi6404
Registered User
 
radi6404's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Blagoevgrad/ Nürtingen
Posts: 3,054
Likes (Received): 27

A greek company builds parts of a national road Simitli gotce Delchev, the whole distance of the road, including parts which are being build by a different company is 60/70 km, do the Greek companies a good job, do they make smooth roads, would like it if they´d look as stumming as the motorways shown in this thread, jsut twolamed.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #157
ea1969
R21
 
ea1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Athens
Posts: 560
Likes (Received): 181

With reference to the message of the friend from Bulgaria: The standard of work will be certainly high. It depends from the Bulgarian specifications if they will build a 4- or 6-lane motorway. If the same company gets also the right to maintain the road, the Bulgarian authorities will need to pay close attention to the standards of maintainance. But in any case, please don't let the Greek company sign the motorway!
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #158
Rato Tvrdic
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 0

Rio-Antirio gets a Croatian rivalry:

The construction started today! It will last 4 years.
Total cost: €260 million
Length: 2380m
Navigational clearance: 55m
Width: 21,5m
Main span: 568m (second cable-stayed in Europe after the Normandie bridge over Loire)

Opening Date: June 2011
Rato Tvrdic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #159
pilotos
καταχωρημένος χρήστης
 
pilotos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Larisa
Posts: 1,704
Likes (Received): 12

Ah alright, it is a cool bridge nonetheless but keep in mind that the rio antirio (Charilaos trikoupis bridge) is not only unique because of the largest combined span in the world as a cable stayed bridge, but also because of the way it was constructed and the difficulties that a bridge in such a place can face.

Also this bridge has only one span which is 568 m, while rio has 4 spans which combined have length of 2,252 meters, and that makes the bridge the biggest cable stayed in the world, ad for the biggest single span its 560 meters, but it wasn't the biggest before even, a bridge in japan holds that record.
pilotos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #160
Rato Tvrdic
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 260
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotos View Post
Ah alright, it is a cool bridge nonetheless but keep in mind that the rio antirio (Charilaos trikoupis bridge) is not only unique because of the largest combined span in the world as a cable stayed bridge, but also because of the way it was constructed and the difficulties that a bridge in such a place can face.

Also this bridge has only one span which is 568 m, while rio has 4 spans which combined have length of 2,252 meters, and that makes the bridge the biggest cable stayed in the world, ad for the biggest single span its 560 meters, but it wasn't the biggest before even, a bridge in japan holds that record.
There are 3 spans on the Rio Antirio bridge, and they combined are 1680m, the rest are trestles. But, what counts technically is the longest span.
Rato Tvrdic no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium