daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #1761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Resumption of work on two large Greek motorway concession projects

Following three years of intensive work with the Greek government and its financial partners, VINCI announces the resumption of construction work on the 365 km motorway between Athens and Tsakona and the 240 km motorway section between Maliakos Bay and Kleidi.

The two concession projects underwent in-depth restructuring that made it possible to complete their refinancing in December 2013 and to resume construction work at the beginning of 2014. The two projects account for a total investment of €3.1 billion (Athens-Tsakona: €1.8 billion, Maliakos-Kleidi: €1.3 billion).

VINCI Concessions is a 30% shareholder in the Olympia Odos company, which holds the concession for the Athens-Tsakona motorway, and a 15% shareholder in the Aegean Motorway company, which holds the concession for the Maliakos-Kleidi motorway.

The resumption of these projects, which are crucial to Greek infrastructure competitiveness, illustrates the long-term strength of the public-private partnership model, notwithstanding cyclical fluctuations. In addition, the projects boost local economic development. The resumption of work with a view to opening the motorways to traffic by the end of 2015 will account for about 10,000 direct and indirect jobs during peak construction. Motorway operation will consolidate about 1,000 jobs.

Press release : http://www.vinci.com/vinci.nsf/en/pr...40120-0830.htm

I assume these are A1 & A7?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

sponge_bob, ea1969, geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2014, 05:53 PM   #1762
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

I understand that there were 'issues' with land ownership as well as finance on some of these routes ( Greece has no central land registry database even now) and that not all of the land required to build a motorway had been transferred to the concessionares, as late as 2012, ....some years after the concessions started.

Have the land ownership 'issues' been resolved as well as the finance ones????
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #1763
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I assume these are A1 & A7?
It's the A1 and the A8/A5(southern part - ex-A9).
Old January 20th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #1764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Thanks. Google Earth does reveal some groundworks and even bridgeworks south of Patras

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ea1969 liked this post
Old January 20th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #1765
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting, the A5-A7 interchange north of Kalamata is already completed. The Vinci press release (among other sources) call this place "Tsakona" but I can't find any Tsakona there with Google Earth.

Old January 20th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #1766
ea1969
R21

Probably, Tsakona is a name of a place (not a village/town) used by locals. I have heard about it only after the motorway was planned and annouched as "Patra - Tsakona".

Yes, the link on the photograph is open and for the time being acts as a connection between the A7 and EO9a. The old A7/EO9a interchange about 1Km to the north has been closed since.
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:34 PM   #1767
ariskop

Likes (Received): 1734

I am pretty sure that on the map attached (with that awful quality) on the law regarding numbering of greek motorway system, the southern part of Ionia Odos (Patra - Pyrgos - Tsakwna) was mentioned as A9 and not A5.

Moreover before works supspenion 3-4 years ago, several construction works took place between Kato Achaia and Amaliada and the route of the new motorway is visible from Google Earth.

Currently, this section is out of new contracts (I can't understand why Vinci include it in its announcement) but it was mentioned in the new contract that a new competion will occur the following months to finish the road (section Patra - Pyrgos with advanced constuction works done before suspension) as a public one.
ariskop está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 06:36 PM   #1768
ea1969
R21

I have managed to get the map in a readable form and it is shown as A5. Some updated direction signs on the Patra bypass also show A5 now.

You are right to every other information about the Patra - Tsakona section. Probably the announcement was intending to state the restart of the A8 Korinthos - Patra part of Olympia Odos but somehow they referred to the whole project all the way from Athens to Tsakona, including within the open Athens to Korinthos part.
Old January 21st, 2014, 11:11 PM   #1769
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That sounds more reasonable.
Still expensive though, and given how quiet that road is in places, not really sensible.

I understand they need the money, but it would make more sense to charge more on the busy northern/southern sections and to allow a discount for those travelling further. The tolling system doesn't make much sense on that road anyway, especially with those irritating frequent barrier tolls near Athens.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:13 AM   #1770
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post

I have managed to get the map in a readable form and it is shown as A5. Some updated direction signs on the Patra bypass also show A5 now.

You are right to every other information about the Patra - Tsakona section. Probably the announcement was intending to state the restart of the A8 Korinthos - Patra part of Olympia Odos but somehow they referred to the whole project all the way from Athens to Tsakona, including within the open Athens to Korinthos part.
ariskop might actually be right!

There were two versions of that map. The prominent difference of the two maps, as far I know, was the different alignment of A22 motorway. Unfortunately, I do not have the first version of the map in full resolution, but I do have the one which came with the ministerial order of 2008.

You can see the difference in the two thumbnails here:

I also spent some time and translated and uploaded, for you guys, the map of the Greek Motorway Network here.

ea1969, arnau_Vic, solchante liked this post
Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1771
J.Zauner

Likes (Received): 3

Hello
New Pics from works on Tempi and Ploykastro?

What about the part from Polykastro to Chalastra? (A-1)

@stavros86
Wow nice Map
They will build a Motorway A-13… ?

Respect to the Motorways in Greece.I was drive in summer `13 and I must say Europian Standarts.
I drive the corridor X from Salzburg to Kineta, and they Motorways there have categories like here in Austria and Slovenia.
And I hope they will construct fast the parts in Tempi and Lamia.
But what I don’t can understand why they don’t use a Toll System like Italy/Croatia or Serbia?
How many kilometers you drive on motorway so much you must pay.
Greece have now much Motorways.
For example, I was on Holidays in Kineta.
I would like to drive back from Loutraki and must pay 3,10 € for 23km….
So I ask some Greek people there and they say I must use the old road.
Why? I will drive secure and fast and I would like to pay, but only for 23km maybe 0,70€
And so I drive via old road and I must say much Trucks use this road too!
And this system brings more jobs too.

mitasis, Stavros86 liked this post
J.Zauner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #1772
ea1969
R21

@stavros86

I insist that at least on a final stage, the southern part of Olympia Odos has been designated as A5. The newer signs on the bypass of Patra show A5 too. There is also the fact of allocating numbers for minor motorways around Patra in the form A58x rather than A89x. On the other hand exits on the Agrinio bypass have (low) numbers that denote that exit 1 would be at Rio (for example Rigani = Exit 8). But we are in Greece...

@J. Zauner

The map is very much optimistic as far as the A4, A14, A21, A22, A23, A97 and A98 are concerned. There are still lots of things to do on the A1, A3, A5, A8, A25, A27, A29, A52, A71 and A90. However, the A13 has been included in the near future plans.

You are totally right about the toll; there is hope that a more fair system that will charge by actual distance covered will be enforced after 2015.

J.Zauner liked this post

Last edited by ea1969; January 23rd, 2014 at 05:54 PM.
ea1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 12:06 AM   #1773
Stavros86
Roads Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 552

@ ea1969

No no, you misunderstood me.
All I mean meant was that he might have seen the first version of the map, in which this section might have been designated as A9. It’s a possibility. I cannot confirm it, since I don’t have that map in a readable size.
In my opinion, designating the section Patra Bypass - Tsakona as A5, is a reasonable decision.

@J. Zauner
The A13 motorway is the very next major motorway project, together with expansion of the Attiki Odos motorway system.

J.Zauner liked this post
Stavros86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:33 PM   #1774
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

A13 makes much sense since it shortens the way and avoid the region of Athens.

Edit: In the past the south section of A5 was signed to be A9. That was changed some day and that's for sure.

J.Zauner liked this post
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 06:03 PM   #1775
ea1969
R21

@Stavros86
I think that the only differences between the two maps was on the route of the planned A22 (near or away from Drama). As you may remember, initially I also had the idea that there was an A9. So I tried to clarify it, because the map shown on the Government Paper pdf was unreadable and I had the interest for the site I help occasionally. I asked and received the information by the Ministry that the motorway would be part of the A5. Of course, it does not matter as it has been finalised. We have too many other problems concerning road numbering anyway...

@Stickedy
Early signs on the Patra bypass were indicating (A)9 on the westbound and (A)8 on the eastbound. However based on the above comment, I think that this was an result of yet another one informal decision by the authorities who signed the motorway, rather than an official numbering decision. However, the A9 designation appeared (and still appears) on a number of maps.
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #1776
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
The authorities have announced (in fact what they hope) that the Tempi - Platamonas section will be ready by May 2015,
Instead of December 2015? 7 month earlier (Source)?

Quote:
the section around Lamia by October 2015
Instead of Spring 2015.

Quote:
and the Stylida bypass by December 2015. Personally, I am not too sure.
Instead of Spring 2015. About 7 month later............
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #1777
J.Zauner

@ea1969 and Stavros86
thanks for the information

So when i look on your map Stavros86, they will build much motorways in future.
Si the Country will have a very good infrastructure System.

Whats about the part of A1 from Chalastra to Polykastro.
Is this a part from Egnatia-Odos vertical Axes?
Old January 26th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1778
ariskop

Likes (Received): 1734

The northern part of A1 (Kleidi I/C to FYROM borders including Malgara toll station on A1/A2 close to Thessaloniki) is the last part of greek highways systems still under the control of TEO (National Road Fund).
For the records, Aktio -Preveza underwater tunnel is another road infrastructure under control of TEO.

Finally after 2 years of bureaucracy, those days a draft law is waiting voting from the Greek parliament (maybe already voted), which abolishes TEO and transfers all its responsibilities to "Egnatia Odos".
An article in Greek.

Also a provision was voted that allows tolls fee in the vertical axes of Egnatia Road A29, A25 and North part of A1..

All those are prerequisites for the competition of privatisation of Egnatia Odos, which is expected the following months.

Regarding the upgrading of Xalastra - Polykastro section to highway, there is no specific plan but is an easy one. The road was designed as a highway, therefore most bridges, interchanges etc. had already been constucted for dual carriageway. Morover, the needed corridor next to the existing carriageway is available
ariskop está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:12 PM   #1779
lazaroskyr

Likes (Received): 150

May I ask about the road from Larisa to Trikala.
I have seen some videos about Farkadona's bypass and this part of the road is within highway standards.

Are there any plans to upgrade the entire road to a highway? I haven't been there but, from what I can see on the map, the upgrade of the road is not a huge project (I guess). It will be great if all major cities in Thessaly were connected by highways (assuming the construction of A3 of course).

Last edited by lazaroskyr; February 1st, 2014 at 04:06 AM.
lazaroskyr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:38 AM   #1780
J.Zauner

@ariskop
thank you for the information.
So i hope Egnatia company will build in future this section as a Motorway.
Its only 44km and a flat Areas.

Tags
Ελλάς, greece, highways, motorways