daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #41
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky
square one is not suburbia
meadowvale is suburbia.

also i don't think the mall was ever evacuated. i check mississauga news and pulse 24 on my rss feeds all the time and there was no mention of this, and there definitely would have been.
It was breaking news on Global news @ 6 the day of the evacuation, and I have a friend who works at Ardenes
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:27 AM   #42
Tuscani01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeTheSky
Not a sky scraper, but I read in the Mississauga News city zoning pages that there is a proposal for a Wal-Mart at Heartland Town Centre, at Matheson & Mavis, behind BMO and Baton Rouge. Just what Mississauga needs, another Wal-Mart. As if traffic on Mavis isn't bad enough!
My mom is happy... A walmart in our backyard!
Old June 9th, 2006, 03:53 AM   #43
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscani01
My mom is happy... A walmart in our backyard!

Well as long as it gets approved anyway. I suppose some people might be against it. Like the other retailers at Heartland. But if Orlando wants Wal-Mart there, I'm sure we'll get it.
ScrapeTheSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #44
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

ew another walmart? so not necessary.
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM   #45
phunky
BANNED

weird i wonder why they didn't put it in the rss feed. mississauga news needs to learn how to operate more professionally. they're so cheesy.
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #46
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

Meh, Walmart is okay. While it's not a beautiful store it fits in with the surrondings. It was more of a question when Heartland would get one, not if. I'd personally rather see it there then say in Port Credit or Streetsville where it could actually kill the small shops. At least where it will going it won't kill these smaller stores and will only add crap to a bad area. I'd rather see one big landfill than a bunch of smaller ones everyone.

Also, wasn't the evacuation only a partial one not a full one? My friend was in the mall when it happened and said they only closed one wing of it, but the rest stayed open (but stayed interested in what was happening). Anyone here actually there when it happened or are y'all like me- stuck hearing bout it through the grapevine?
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:01 AM   #47
phunky
BANNED

it was only partial. the bay and the parking lot of the bay and the mall section near the bay.
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:23 AM   #48
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Not a sky scraper, but I read in the Mississauga News city zoning pages that there is a proposal for a Wal-Mart at Heartland Town Centre, at Matheson & Mavis, behind BMO and Baton Rouge. Just what Mississauga needs, another Wal-Mart. As if traffic on Mavis isn't bad enough!
Damn you Sprawl-Mart
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:33 AM   #49
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks phunky

Just wondering though, did they ever say what was in the car/package in the end.

My mom was actually visiting an client who lives in one of the condos at Eglinton and Hurontario and appearently someone has been putting small bombs in the park near there. The first was found last summer and a couple more have been found over the last year. They appearently called in the bomb squad to detonate two of them all ready. They were going around the buildings taking statements from people asking if they say anything/anyone looking suspicous. I never heard anything about this before but with the way the media works I never know what is happening in this city.

My teacher's wife works at the Nortel Campus in Brampton and about a month ago they had to go into lockdown because there was a mad man running around threatening to shoot people and shot out some windows. If it wasn't for my teacher I wouldn't have known a thing about it.

Last edited by jeicow; June 10th, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:32 AM   #50
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow
Meh, Walmart is okay. While it's not a beautiful store it fits in with the surrondings. It was more of a question when Heartland would get one, not if. I'd personally rather see it there then say in Port Credit or Streetsville where it could actually kill the small shops. At least where it will going it won't kill these smaller stores and will only add crap to a bad area. I'd rather see one big landfill than a bunch of smaller ones everyone.
Actually Streetsville businesses have complained about Heartland in the past. And I'm sure Heartland and other smaller power centres in Northwest Mississauga have contributed to making Erin Mills TC a pretty dead mall.

Wal-Mart does fit in with Heartland though, and as you point out, it was more a matter of when and not if Heartland got a Wal-Mart. Although it seems to me like Wal-Mart will be cannibalizing its own sales from the Square One and Winston Churchill & Argentia locations.

Last edited by ScrapeTheSky; June 10th, 2006 at 05:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #51
Lovetheburbs

[QUOTE=phunky]square one is not suburbia
meadowvale is suburbia.

Meadowvale is one of the best towns in mississauga to live in without a doubt, no matter of its suburban make-up. It has office buildings, lots of hotels, and many high-rise mid-rise apartments that give it a dense looking feel
Lovetheburbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM   #52
Tuscani01

Quote:
Thanks phunky

Just wondering though, did they ever say what was in the car/package in the end.

My mom was actually visiting an client who lives in one of the condos at Eglinton and Hurontario and appearently someone has been putting small bombs in the park near there. The first was found last summer and a couple more have been found over the last year. They appearently called in the bomb squad to detonate two of them all ready. They were going around the buildings taking statements from people asking if they say anything/anyone looking suspicous. I never heard anything about this before but with the way the media works I never know what is happening in this city.

My teacher's wife works at the Nortel Campus in Brampton and about a month ago they had to go into lockdown because there was a mad man running around threatening to shoot people and shot out some windows. If it wasn't for my teacher I wouldn't have known a thing about it.

It was a device which controls a license plate cover. When activated the cover loses its transparency and you cant read the plate. The person activated it, parked in a no parking zone and when the towing company saw this, they called the cops, who in turn called the bomb squad.
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #53
Tuscani01

Quote:
Actually Streetsville businesses have complained about Heartland in the past. And I'm sure Heartland and other smaller power centres in Northwest Mississauga have contributed to making Erin Mills TC a pretty dead mall.

Wal-Mart does fit in with Heartland though, and as you point out, it was more a matter of when and not if Heartland got a Wal-Mart. Although it seems to me like Wal-Mart will be cannibalizing its own sales from the Square One and Winston Churchill & Argentia locations.
Meh, i have no complaints about heartland. Its right outside my house, and has everything I need.
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:19 AM   #54
phunky
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks phunky

it was one of those devices to make your license plates be hidden. it tints a cover placed over them. so he could park in a "no parking" spot and not be tickekted.
Old June 13th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #55
Tuscani01

Google Maps has updated its satellite image of MCC . It looks maybe a month old. The Capitol Towers are up and there is a giant hole in the ground for 1 Park tower. It looks more 3D too.

Edit: Make that a few months old, I still see cranes on the Capitol towers.

Last edited by Tuscani01; June 13th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #56
sloid

Likes (Received): 4

I was using google earth just a couple of days ago and the first thing i looked for was square one but I really, really couldn't find it so i gave up. Hehe.
sloid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #57
phunky
BANNED

just put in the address.
i believe it's 100 city centre drive
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #58
punkstarbassist101

A few pics from today
Mississauga from high up

punkstarbassist101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #59
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

I think you can see the building my uncle lives in in one of those pics (50 Kingsbridge)
Old June 16th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #60
doady

Likes (Received): 5

Great pics. I've never seen views from those angles before.
doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote