daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #61
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Delay in federal funding leaves bus plan idle

The City's road map for a dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) route along Hwy. 403 and Eglinton Ave., currently is sitting idle pending federal funding.
In the meantime, Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield reiterated a five-year plan for Southern Ontario highways, at a press conference June 16, which included $65 million for the development of Mississauga's transit way along the Hwy. 403 and Eglinton Ave., up to Renforth Dr.

Wendy Alexander, director of transportation and infrastructure planning for the City, said the provincial government had already paid its share of the funding which is being shared by all three levels of government.

"The BRT piece is essentially waiting for a signal from the federal government," Alexander said. "We were hoping to receive funding through the latest federal budget, which we clearly did not receive. We're talking with the federal government to see if we can get that process moving more quickly."

Alexander said an additional $2 million has been set aside to fund a feasibility study to look into the possibility of a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes, rapid transit and other issues along Hurontario St.

"Without the federal funding, we would have to carefully consider how much of the project we can proceed with," Alexander said. "The project is stalled."

The council recently agreed to set up a dedicated BRT office with experienced staff in order to get the project up and running.

The Environmental Assessment approval, the funding from the province and the City and the basic blueprint are all ready and waiting, but without the federal money, which is a real road block, a dedicated bus line may will remain a vision on paper.

Cansfield said Ontario's five-year plan will help improve the quality of life for families, with the announcement of the Southern Ontario Highways Program (SOHP). It is estimated that in the next 25 years, an estimated two million vehicles will be on the roads and the time stuck in traffic could increase four times.

"This program (SOHP) will have a positive and lasting effect upon the lives of all Ontarians," Cansfield said. "Improving and expanding our highway system will address growing congestion, combined with our far-reaching investments in public transit."

http://www.mississauga.com/mi/news/s...-4106438c.html
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #62
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky

The City's road map for a dedicated Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) route along Hwy. 403 and Eglinton Ave., currently is sitting idle pending federal funding.
In the meantime, Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield reiterated a five-year plan for Southern Ontario highways, at a press conference June 16, which included $65 million for the development of Mississauga's transit way along the Hwy. 403 and Eglinton Ave., up to Renforth Dr.

Wendy Alexander, director of transportation and infrastructure planning for the City, said the provincial government had already paid its share of the funding which is being shared by all three levels of government.

"The BRT piece is essentially waiting for a signal from the federal government," Alexander said. "We were hoping to receive funding through the latest federal budget, which we clearly did not receive. We're talking with the federal government to see if we can get that process moving more quickly."

Alexander said an additional $2 million has been set aside to fund a feasibility study to look into the possibility of a High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes, rapid transit and other issues along Hurontario St.

"Without the federal funding, we would have to carefully consider how much of the project we can proceed with," Alexander said. "The project is stalled."

The council recently agreed to set up a dedicated BRT office with experienced staff in order to get the project up and running.

The Environmental Assessment approval, the funding from the province and the City and the basic blueprint are all ready and waiting, but without the federal money, which is a real road block, a dedicated bus line may will remain a vision on paper.

Cansfield said Ontario's five-year plan will help improve the quality of life for families, with the announcement of the Southern Ontario Highways Program (SOHP). It is estimated that in the next 25 years, an estimated two million vehicles will be on the roads and the time stuck in traffic could increase four times.

"This program (SOHP) will have a positive and lasting effect upon the lives of all Ontarians," Cansfield said. "Improving and expanding our highway system will address growing congestion, combined with our far-reaching investments in public transit."

Wow... just wow
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #63
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky

That is the problem about getting money from all three levels of government....it takes three times as long
Old June 19th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #64
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

"rapid transit and other issues along Hurontario St"

Anyone have a clue what the "other issues" along Hurontario are? I understand that the rapid transit will be the LRT but I'm interested in knowing what these other issues are.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #65
doady

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow
"rapid transit and other issues along Hurontario St"

Anyone have a clue what the "other issues" along Hurontario are? I understand that the rapid transit will be the LRT but I'm interested in knowing what these other issues are.

probably one of the "other issues" is the fact so many pedestrians get killed each year trying to cross Hurontario, especially at Dundas. This is a major problem and it will have to be addressed before any LRT is built.
doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #66
rapideye95
Technology Pro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by doady
probably one of the "other issues" is the fact so many pedestrians get killed each year trying to cross Hurontario, especially at Dundas. This is a major problem and it will have to be addressed before any LRT is built.
Agreed,

I mean...In my case, every morning when I drive down Hurontario to the QEW from Fairview, I see many relentless people trying to cross it. I'll admit that when I used to cross it I would have to run fast just to make it across. Believe me, Hurontario is a jungle of a street.
rapideye95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2006, 01:19 AM   #67
Bertez

Why not build pedestrian overpasses.....
Old June 21st, 2006, 02:49 AM   #68
jeicow

Pedestrians shouldn't have to walk over traffic when you consider that the cars move slightly faster. They should build an underground intersection and then on top have a transit only intersection where the 19 and 1 can meet. Unrealisitc year, but shows that pedestrians are being considered. They should also get rid of the crosswalk buttons at that intersection so that there is extra crossing times (they still have them there if I remember correctly). It would slow down traffic, but again, still puts the slow moving, unprotected pedestrians at slight advantage compared to the fast, two tonnes of metal that are surronding them.
Old June 21st, 2006, 05:36 AM   #69
phunky
BANNED

the intersection at hurontario and king st. and the first one south of that is quite a distance. so for all of those people that live in the apts. on the east side of hurontario, they have to walk to either intersection to get to the plaza with the shoppers drug mart across the st. i understand that walking 1-2 mins to cross safely is the better choice but people are lazy. so many people have been killed on this st. yet no one learns, and they still cross in places they shouldn't.
Old June 21st, 2006, 11:01 PM   #70
rapideye95
Technology Pro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertez
Why not build pedestrian overpasses.....
That would be absolutely insane! We are not talking about Cawthra or Dixie here
rapideye95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM   #71
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

a 38 story condo started in Mississauga. The Solstice.

If Mississauga keeps this up it will get a nice skyline.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM   #72
doady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideye95
That would be absolutely insane! We are not talking about Cawthra or Dixie here

LOL, yeah we are talking aobut Hurontario which is even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideye95
Agreed,

I mean...In my case, every morning when I drive down Hurontario to the QEW from Fairview, I see many relentless people trying to cross it. I'll admit that when I used to cross it I would have to run fast just to make it across. Believe me, Hurontario is a jungle of a street.
I used to live at 10 and Fairview and there is no pedestrian crossing anywhere between Fairview and Hillcrest which is quite the distance. When the city widened Hurontario, they even made the median there wide enough to accomodate jaywalkers because you can't expect to go so far out of there way just to cross one road.

Anyways, I was referring to problems with safety even at the signalized intersections as well, especially at 10 and Dundas. Probably right turns should be banned at red lights because motorists in this city don't pay enough attention.
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:58 AM   #73
jeicow

Not sure if you all heard but Mississauga finally had its first murder of the year. 19 year-old in Malton but at this rate we'll be less than last year's total.
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #74
Bertez

Well it is not something that we were anticipating, but it is near the halfway point of the year, and having only one for a city around 750K is pretty damn good......
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #75
Tuscani01

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Parking policy a 'dreadful mistake'

Torstar Network
Jun 27, 2006

Mississauga's decision to allow 4,500 condominium units to be built in the city centre without a visitor parking requirement has been "a dreadful mistake," Councillor Nando Iannicca said.
"We blew it," Iannicca said about the 2001 policy change to encourage high-density development in the downtown area around Square One.

But various strategies are in the works to ease the present shortage of visitor parking at several highrise buildings and to prevent problems from occurring at future projects, he said. Several of the problem spots are in Iannicca's ward south of Burnhamthorpe Rd., and west of Hurontario St. The relaxed parking requirement has resulted in complaints from residents whose visitors have to compete for too few spaces, especially on weekends.

One of the worst problems was at the City Centre I complex, two buildings with 715 units located on Elm Dr. W., where there are 50 visitor spaces, according to a report by planning commissioner Ed Sajecki. The visitor spaces provided were at the developer's discretion.

Even though there is no requirement for it, each development has provided some visitor parking. There's just not enough of it, Sajecki said.

Dianne Ferraro, property manager at City Centre I, said the problem has eased considerably because management now requires visitors to register their vehicles, preventing residents from using the visitors' lot for a second vehicle.

"It's still tight on weekends," Ferraro said, adding that the complex needs double the number of visitor spaces provided.

City planners are working on a new policy that will return a visitor parking requirement for future city centre condominium developments, along with a number of other strategies.

That means there should be ample visitor parking for the proposed 50-storey condominium in the city centre - dubbed the Marilyn Monroe for its curves - provided a new policy is approved before the developers get their building permit.

The project, part of the Fernbrook Absolute complex, won an international design competition sponsored by the city. Construction of the 450-unit project, at Burnhamthorpe and Hurontario, won't start for another year.
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #76
jeicow

Rumours over at UT by someguy222 and MikeinTO.

The final phase of Abosulte will be:
-tall (no height given)
- the tower will be a "twisty one, but with a different shape.. bulges in the middle instead of getting slimmer"
- won't be a cookie cutter of the first three

I have no idea whether any of this is true but when you consider how fast the fourth is selling/sold it makes sense for them to boost the height of it. Appearently there was an e-mail sent out to people who registered but I haven't recieved one so I can not verify whether there is one.
Old July 5th, 2006, 04:11 AM   #77
Tuscani01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow
Rumours over at UT by someguy222 and MikeinTO.

The final phase of Abosulte will be:
-tall (no height given)
- the tower will be a "twisty one, but with a different shape.. bulges in the middle instead of getting slimmer"
- won't be a cookie cutter of the first three

I have no idea whether any of this is true but when you consider how fast the fourth is selling/sold it makes sense for them to boost the height of it. Appearently there was an e-mail sent out to people who registered but I haven't recieved one so I can not verify whether there is one.
Lets hope theres some truth in this...

At least the tall and not a cookie cut
Old July 5th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #78
phunky
BANNED

yes please not like the first 3, they are so ugly. the blue glass balconies are nice though

as for the construction area, there is a lot of activity going on there, i think they're starting the landwork for tower 3 construction.
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM   #79
jeicow

The early website for Northshore was launched sometime lastweekend and they have movies up showing the design and with all these old farts talking about it.

http://www.framhomes.com/northshore/...horeindex.html

The design for the southern tower seems to have been change from all the early designs released before. It's kinda boxie imo, but has a really weird (not sure whether it's nice or not) roof, but meets the street amazingly.

Sorry it's small but it's a screeshot from one of the movies.
Old July 6th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #80
doady

It doesn't look as nice as the old design, but it meets the street better thansk to the boxy design.