daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2006, 04:12 AM   #101
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

^TO might be a stretch- let's focus on catching up to North York first

But I'm glad that they gave the towers a ma and pa kind of design. I was worried about two identical towers which well- would have sucked. *Hopefully* those townhouses facing onto Hurontario will be GLR now instead of the crap ones that they are building on Burnhamthorpe. I also like the way that the tower seems to be meeting the street on the 5th compared to the 4th, but that might just be because the 4th has higher standards being at a major crossroads. I guess this baby is also the reason why sales to the general public were put on hold. Anyway, let's hope it just goes up.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM   #102
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Hmm......Missy gets it's own version of the twin towers
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #103
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow
^TO might be a stretch- let's focus on catching up to North York first

But I'm glad that they gave the towers a ma and pa kind of design. I was worried about two identical towers which well- would have sucked. *Hopefully* those townhouses facing onto Hurontario will be GLR now instead of the crap ones that they are building on Burnhamthorpe. I also like the way that the tower seems to be meeting the street on the 5th compared to the 4th, but that might just be because the 4th has higher standards being at a major crossroads. I guess this baby is also the reason why sales to the general public were put on hold. Anyway, let's hope it just goes up.
of course they will go up. the demand is insane.
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #104
Martinsizon

Likes (Received): 1

Going East up burnhamthorpe road, at the corner of Kariya Drive there was a sign saying site sold and map on it (i did not pay attention to it much). I dont know if this is new or old sign, can some one fill me in on it.
Martinsizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #105
Martinsizon

That great, but i wanted a new design for the 5th tower
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #106
Bertez

In some aspects it is better to have the same type of design for both towers.....it shows that it is from the same project, as well as both towers complement each other......It is really one landmark divided into two buildings
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:57 AM   #107
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsizon
Going East up burnhamthorpe road, at the corner of Kariya Drive there was a sign saying site sold and map on it (i did not pay attention to it much). I dont know if this is new or old sign, can some one fill me in on it.
the sign is not new but the "SOLD" sticker on it is
i believe it's going to be commercial property. an office building probably.
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 05:29 AM   #108
Martinsizon

nice
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #109
jeicow

Bye Bye Icedogs- Hello St. Mikes Majors

New IceDogs owner plans to move club
Majors then to fill void at Hershey Centre
Jul. 12, 2006. 10:48 PM
SUNAYA SAPURJI
SPORTS REPORTER

The Toronto St. Michael’s Majors have finally gone from playing in the OHL’s outhouse to the Dog House.

Majors owner Eugene Melnyk purchased the Mississauga IceDogs Wednesday in a deal that will ultimately move the Toronto franchise into the Hershey Centre and the IceDogs to another city.

Melnyk, who owns the NHL’s Ottawa Senators and Mississauga-based pharmaceutical giant Biovail, purchased the `Dogs from principal owner Mario Forgione for a reported price tag of $9 million. Forgione and minority owner NHL defenceman Chris Pronger originally purchased the team in 2003 for an estimated $4.2 million.

According to OHL commissioner David Branch, hockey operations of the IceDogs will be held in a “blind trust,” which will prevent any collusion. The OHL will also appoint an independent governor to oversee the IceDogs in the coming weeks.

Once the franchise is uprooted from Toronto to Mississauga, the team will likely be known as the Mississauga-St. Michael’s Majors because of Melnyk’s strong ties to his alma mater.

Melnyk has been looking for a suitable venue for his Majors to play in since purchasing that team in 2001. St. Michael’s Arena, which holds 1,600, is the smallest and most antiquated building in the league.

“(The arena) clearly was at the top of everyone’s agenda,” said Branch. “It’s been well known for some time that the current arrangements at St. Michael’s Arena were not suitable.”

Over the past five years, the Majors have been in discussions with various entities, including Varsity Arena, Maple Leaf Gardens, Beatrice IceGardens and Downsview park in order to find a suitable home for the team. More recently the team had looked at sites in both Vaughan and at Woodbine.

In the end, the most cost-effective scenario for a new arena was to displace the IceDogs and move into the eight-year-old Hershey Centre.

The Majors entered the OHL in 1997, followed by both the IceDogs and Brampton Battalion in 1998.

“I’m not so sure we would have done it any differently when you consider the dynamics that we were faced with,” said Branch of the expansion. “I think that if you could do it again, maybe you would not have wished both (teams) would have come along at the same time.”

In the meantime, the IceDogs have will have to continue operations with a brave face, knowing that their franchise for the 2006-07 season is mere window dressing for a new city.

“This is nothing against the new ownership, but it’s disappointing,” said IceDogs head coach Greg Gilbert.

“Things were said in the past that you put your trust in, and obviously that didn’t work out. But that’s business.”

According to one league source, Buffalo, N.Y. is the frontrunner for the IceDogs relocation, though the cities of Niagara Falls and North Bay have also been mentioned as possible destinations.

“I haven’t even thought about that yet, I’m just trying to digest everything that’s happened,” said Gilbert, of a possible move. “I have a three-year contract which I signed last September. Somebody’s going to have to be responsible for it.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone actually care?
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #110
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
New IceDogs owner plans to move club
Majors then to fill void at Hershey Centre
Jul. 12, 2006. 10:48 PM
SUNAYA SAPURJI
SPORTS REPORTER

The Toronto St. Michael’s Majors have finally gone from playing in the OHL’s outhouse to the Dog House.

Majors owner Eugene Melnyk purchased the Mississauga IceDogs Wednesday in a deal that will ultimately move the Toronto franchise into the Hershey Centre and the IceDogs to another city.

Melnyk, who owns the NHL’s Ottawa Senators and Mississauga-based pharmaceutical giant Biovail, purchased the `Dogs from principal owner Mario Forgione for a reported price tag of $9 million. Forgione and minority owner NHL defenceman Chris Pronger originally purchased the team in 2003 for an estimated $4.2 million.

According to OHL commissioner David Branch, hockey operations of the IceDogs will be held in a “blind trust,” which will prevent any collusion. The OHL will also appoint an independent governor to oversee the IceDogs in the coming weeks.

Once the franchise is uprooted from Toronto to Mississauga, the team will likely be known as the Mississauga-St. Michael’s Majors because of Melnyk’s strong ties to his alma mater.

Melnyk has been looking for a suitable venue for his Majors to play in since purchasing that team in 2001. St. Michael’s Arena, which holds 1,600, is the smallest and most antiquated building in the league.

“(The arena) clearly was at the top of everyone’s agenda,” said Branch. “It’s been well known for some time that the current arrangements at St. Michael’s Arena were not suitable.”

Over the past five years, the Majors have been in discussions with various entities, including Varsity Arena, Maple Leaf Gardens, Beatrice IceGardens and Downsview park in order to find a suitable home for the team. More recently the team had looked at sites in both Vaughan and at Woodbine.

In the end, the most cost-effective scenario for a new arena was to displace the IceDogs and move into the eight-year-old Hershey Centre.

The Majors entered the OHL in 1997, followed by both the IceDogs and Brampton Battalion in 1998.

“I’m not so sure we would have done it any differently when you consider the dynamics that we were faced with,” said Branch of the expansion. “I think that if you could do it again, maybe you would not have wished both (teams) would have come along at the same time.”

In the meantime, the IceDogs have will have to continue operations with a brave face, knowing that their franchise for the 2006-07 season is mere window dressing for a new city.

“This is nothing against the new ownership, but it’s disappointing,” said IceDogs head coach Greg Gilbert.

“Things were said in the past that you put your trust in, and obviously that didn’t work out. But that’s business.”

According to one league source, Buffalo, N.Y. is the frontrunner for the IceDogs relocation, though the cities of Niagara Falls and North Bay have also been mentioned as possible destinations.

“I haven’t even thought about that yet, I’m just trying to digest everything that’s happened,” said Gilbert, of a possible move. “I have a three-year contract which I signed last September. Somebody’s going to have to be responsible for it.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone actually care?

Thats bullshit. I knew we would get screwed over in the end. Now we get stuck with an M representing our city? WHO LET THE DOGS OUT:'(
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #111
Martinsizon

Majors!!! What a shitty name. Hopefully they change that

Atleast we are getting the Red Wolves(ABA).

Last edited by Martinsizon; July 13th, 2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #112
jeicow

^ Odds are they won't. Oh well, I've never paid to go to an OHL game and this won't get me either.
Old July 14th, 2006, 05:50 AM   #113
doady

Likes (Received): 5

Personally, I would much rather spend money on tickets to an OHL game than spend money on way overpriced Leafs tickets.

Also, I tihnk Mississauga Majors sounds a lot better than Missisauga Ice Dogs. Ice Dogs is a stupid name.
doady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:16 AM   #114
jeicow

It will likely be the "Mississauga-St. Michael’s Majors" b/c of the owners ties with St. Mike's college. The Mississauga Majors makes way more sense but when has anything sensible ever happened in the GTA?
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:18 AM   #115
Bertez

haha...that's true
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #116
Dusko
Dusko

Likes (Received): 0

What I'd like to see is Mississauga get it's own NHL team. Can you imagine the rivalry between Toronto And Mississauga? That would be awesome.
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #117
jeicow

^ It'd be nice but it would never happen. MLSE would never let that kinda thing happen in their market unless they owned the team, and seeing how they've been such blowhards lately I doubt they would. But it would be cool as hell if that happened. I always imagined a giant stadium or something on Eglinton, where the new Confederation extension is going. Would mean kicking people out of their homes (oops) but would be a good addition to MCC. Or the original Hershey Centre proposal in MCC would be awesome too, but I doubt either will ever become a reality.
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #118
Tuscani01

Quote:
^ It'd be nice but it would never happen. MLSE would never let that kinda thing happen in their market unless they owned the team, and seeing how they've been such blowhards lately I doubt they would. But it would be cool as hell if that happened. I always imagined a giant stadium or something on Eglinton, where the new Confederation extension is going. Would mean kicking people out of their homes (oops) but would be a good addition to MCC. Or the original Hershey Centre proposal in MCC would be awesome too, but I doubt either will ever become a reality.
Where was the original Hershey Centre proposal located?
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #119
Martinsizon

http://www.mississauga.ca/ecity/down...pe&id=67600062
Check out the new Hershey Sportszone Renderings. What is this original Hershey Centre proposal look like?
Old July 15th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #120
Tuscani01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsizon
http://www.mississauga.ca/ecity/down...pe&id=67600062
Check out the new Hershey Sportszone Renderings. What is this original Hershey Centre proposal look like?
It would be nice to see a little sport village develop around the Hershey Centre. Build a few nice resteraunts, cafes and bars, maybe even a club. That would make the area a place to go for the people in Mississauga. Watch the Mississauga Majors or Red Wolves, grab a bite to eat, a coffee or head to the bar to watch the Leafs play. Make it like an actual village though, where you have to walk past everything else in order to get to the Hershey Centre, or wherever it is you want to go. Parking can be around the village.

Its kind of like the AMC's in the GTA. They are all surrounded by pedestrian villages.