daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > Ontario

Ontario » Toronto

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2006, 06:10 AM   #121
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

If I remember correctly, the City wanted to build the Hershey Centre in MCC on the land to the north of the LAC at the SW corner of Duke of York and Rathburn. Oxford Properties (the owners of SQ1) own the land and were relunctant to sell because they said it could potentially become another parking lot. At first it looked doubtful that it would happen but then Oxford suddenly got interested in selling the land and it looked like it would happen. But then Don Cherry screws everything up. In good ol' Donny's boy endeavour to get an OHL team in Mississauga he promised that an arena that met OHL requirements would be ready in time for the start of the Ice Dog's first season. Well, the city's negotiations with Oxford were going to take too long so to make sure that Don's promise wasn't broken, the City decided to build it out there in highway land to make sure that the city wouldn't lose the team only to have the team have countless crappy seasons (except that one amazing playoff run) and a facility that is disconnected from the rest of the city and difficult to get to on Public Transit, especially on weekends.

Oh well, hopefully the current one will get attacked in a terrorist attack, or hit by a truck, or explodes from Cherry's over inflated ego but anyway I doubt anyone would actually notice that it's gone. The one advantage of the current location is that it can be expanded to include new facilities, like the ones in the above report, but had it actually be built in MCC the chance of it actually being a potential stop for tours would be so much greater than in sprawl land. Oh well, you live with what you get.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #122
Tuscani01

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow
If I remember correctly, the City wanted to build the Hershey Centre in MCC on the land to the north of the LAC at the SW corner of Duke of York and Rathburn. Oxford Properties (the owners of SQ1) own the land and were relunctant to sell because they said it could potentially become another parking lot. At first it looked doubtful that it would happen but then Oxford suddenly got interested in selling the land and it looked like it would happen. But then Don Cherry screws everything up. In good ol' Donny's boy endeavour to get an OHL team in Mississauga he promised that an arena that met OHL requirements would be ready in time for the start of the Ice Dog's first season. Well, the city's negotiations with Oxford were going to take too long so to make sure that Don's promise wasn't broken, the City decided to build it out there in highway land to make sure that the city wouldn't lose the team only to have the team have countless crappy seasons (except that one amazing playoff run) and a facility that is disconnected from the rest of the city and difficult to get to on Public Transit, especially on weekends.

Oh well, hopefully the current one will get attacked in a terrorist attack, or hit by a truck, or explodes from Cherry's over inflated ego but anyway I doubt anyone would actually notice that it's gone. The one advantage of the current location is that it can be expanded to include new facilities, like the ones in the above report, but had it actually be built in MCC the chance of it actually being a potential stop for tours would be so much greater than in sprawl land. Oh well, you live with what you get.

I HAVE AN IDEA!

Lets find some rich Mississauga'n and make him buy the Ice Dogs. He can purchase the land in MCC and build them a new stadium. The Hershey Centre can stay up and belong to the Majors, who might as well just keep Toronto in the name. Better yet, lets go all out and bring in an AHL team! 2016 Olympics maybe? A worlds fair? World cup?... ok im dreaming again
Tuscani01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #123
phunky
BANNED

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:

Oh well, hopefully the current one will get attacked in a terrorist attack,
even though i understand your frustration that isn't really funny, it's pretty distasteful...
phunky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #124
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

^ When you consider the potential targets in the city that would have to be in the top five, especially when it's full.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #125
Martinsizon

Likes (Received): 1

check this out: http://p083.ezboard.com/ftorontoskys...cID=5079.topic
Martinsizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #126
in'sauga

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
^ When you consider the potential targets in the city that would have to be in the top five, especially when it's full.

.....and you're hoping it gets attacked?......That's a sick thing to say dude! WTF?
in'sauga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #127
phunky
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsizon
i hope they wait til after christmas to do this. haha. cuz otherwise it's gonna be retarded at the square one parking lots. this has been discussed for awhile now though we know it's happening just not the details. they signs have been posted all over square one property for like a year now.
square one one needs to build one massive 10 storey parking garage.
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #128
ScrapeTheSky
Coruscanti Cognoscente

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky
i hope they wait til after christmas to do this. haha. cuz otherwise it's gonna be retarded at the square one parking lots. this has been discussed for awhile now though we know it's happening just not the details. they signs have been posted all over square one property for like a year now.
square one one needs to build one massive 10 storey parking garage.
I think their current parking strutures are more than sufficient. I never see the north parking lots fully full. I don't think anyone is really gonna miss them, except maybe for Christmastime.
ScrapeTheSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #129
phunky
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapeTheSky
I think their current parking strutures are more than sufficient. I never see the north parking lots fully full. I don't think anyone is really gonna miss them, except maybe for Christmastime.
no but if they use up even 25% of the available parking it's going to be insane during the times when those parking lots are used. and i have been seeing them fill up much much more during other times of the year in the past 2 years now.
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #130
Martinsizon

I dont care about those people coming in the way of progress. Develop the land. If those people are really desparate they can buy a condo nearby.
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:10 AM   #131
Waterloo_Guy
I See Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I dont care about those people coming in the way of progress. Develop the land. If those people are really desparate they can buy a condo nearby.
Exactly. Parking lots aren't wetlands. Develop the land!
Waterloo_Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #132
Tuscani01

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky
no but if they use up even 25% of the available parking it's going to be insane during the times when those parking lots are used. and i have been seeing them fill up much much more during other times of the year in the past 2 years now.
That not really a problem. It will be a reason to get LRT and the Transitway built, as well as add more busses to MT routes. With the density increasing around the mall, the owners dont have to worry about the people coming from outside of the city anymore. They have a large population sitting on their doorstep. Getting rid of parking will also convince those people within walking distance to ride a bike, walk or use transit instead of driving around looking for parking.
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #133
Martinsizon

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...34#post9300334 A latin thread but some nice pictuers of mcc
Old July 19th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #134
Tuscani01

Quote:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...34#post9300334 A latin thread but some nice pictuers of mcc
Im surprised everyone likes what they see from the pics. They like our city!
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #135
Martinsizon

Is anyone going to the Ribfest? www.mississaugarotaryribfest.com

Hey can u translate what they are saying in like a line or two?
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #136
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscani01
Im surprised everyone likes what they see from the pics. They like our city!
lol...yup....it's good to see Sauga getting some international rep
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:27 AM   #137
Tuscani01

Quote:
Is anyone going to the Ribfest? www.mississaugarotaryribfest.com

Hey can u translate what they are saying in like a line or two?
Im not Spanish, but its close enough to Portuguese that I can pick out a bit of what has been said.

One user said its a very modern city and it has a nice skyline.

Another user loves the airport, actually quite a few do, and another loves the parks in the city.

There have been no negative comments so far. They like our roads, buildings, and ammenities. They like central library too.
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #138
Martinsizon

glad to hear people like our city
Old July 20th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #139
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Old July 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #140
sloid

Likes (Received): 4

I cannot wait for them to build that! .... are they gonna build two now?

sloid no está en línea   Reply With Quote