daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:24 PM   #5021
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

I disagree. The S8 incorporates an interchange with the DK92 to Poznań so drivers will use it for faster access to DK92 when travelling north from Gdańsk (E77) and east from Białystok (E67).
Having said that I do agree that the S8 will not relieve all of the congestion in central Warsaw as drivers heading for Kraków or Wrocław will still have to travel through central Warsaw as the fast S2 southern ring road will not be connected to the S8 by the end of this year. Unless drivers come off the expressway at the junction with route 580 and cut through Warsaw's north western suburbs to reach the city centre then the expressway traffic will bypass western Warsaw's suburbs. Nevertheless, the S8 expressway won't cost anything to use so why wouldn't drivers use it for a faster link to Poznań (DK92, DK14, A2)? Lets just see how many drivers use the S8 when it opens in December 2010 before we condemn the S8 as a useless road (which I agree does lead to nowhere for those drivers heading south).
We will just have to be patient to see the S8 be connected with the A2 motorway to Poznań and with the S2 southern Warsaw ring road. At least Warsaw will have some form of a proper outer ring road at last so lets be grateful for that and hard work is being made to get the S2 from Konotopa to the airport built by 2012.
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:29 PM   #5022
Chris80678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
Official opening date didn't change and it's 15-12-2010. My personal opinion is that they will not make it.
Why do you think they will not make the official opening date of 15-12-2010?
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM   #5023
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post

... Having said that I do agree that the S8 will not relieve all of the congestion in central Warsaw as drivers heading for Kraków or Wrocław will still have to travel through central Warsaw as the fast S2 southern ring road will not be connected to the S8 by the end of this year. Unless drivers come off the expressway at the junction with route 580 and cut through Warsaw's north western suburbs to reach the city centre then the expressway traffic will bypass western Warsaw's suburbs. Nevertheless, the S8 expressway won't cost anything to use so why wouldn't drivers use it for a faster link to Poznań (DK92, DK14, A2)? Lets just see how many drivers use the S8 when it opens in December 2010 before we condemn the S8 as a useless road (which I agree does lead to nowhere for those drivers heading south).
We will just have to be patient to see the S8 be connected with the A2 motorway to Poznań and with the S2 southern Warsaw ring road. At least Warsaw will have some form of a proper outer ring road at last so lets be grateful for that and hard work is being made to get the S2 from Konotopa to the airport built by 2012.
well, definately I expressed my feelings in the wrong way. I am very happy we get another piece of modern infrastructure in Warsaw, but as you wrote before A2 reaches Warsaw, we will not be able to use it as it was originally designed.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:14 PM   #5024
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Why do you think they will not make the official opening date of 15-12-2010?
1. Look at the photos in project's thread. For me they are far from finishing two junctions.

2. The whole "opening" operation usually takes weeks. If they wanted to open the route in December they need to finish everything in November.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #5025
Chris80678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
1. Look at the photos in project's thread. For me they are far from finishing two junctions.

2. The whole "opening" operation usually takes weeks. If they wanted to open the route in December they need to finish everything in November.
Don't panic, after all there is still another month left to get everything on the S8 finished - October and perhaps half of November. Which are the two junctions which for you are far from complete - DK580 and Prymasa?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:24 PM   #5026
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Don't panic, after all there is still another month left to get everything on the S8 finished - October and perhaps half of November. Which are the two junctions which for you are far from complete - DK580 and Prymasa?
Warszawska/Lazurowa & Prymasa.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5027
Chris80678

From the project photos all I can see missing from the Warszawska/Lazurowa and Prymasa junctions are concrete, side wall panels, lane markings and
road signs. At both junctions the flyovers are done. I can't see it taking more than a month to lay the concrete, panel the side walls, paint line markings and erect the relevant junction road signs. I still believe that the opening date of 15.12.2010 can be achieved so we shall see who is right
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM   #5028
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It is known that freezing temperatures can prevent asphalt from being poured. I'm not sure how this works out with concrete, as the last concrete motorway in the Netherlands was completed 20 years ago, so there is almost no expertise on concrete motorways in the Netherlands. But I assume working pace will be lower from ~November - ~March.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 11:47 PM   #5029
bogdymol
bogdymod

AFAIK concrete can be poured starting from +5 degrees.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #5030
Blaskovitz

Likes (Received): 319

Nice film about S8 i Warsaw by TVN Warszawa, but all in Polish.

http://www.tvnwarszawa.pl/0,1675004,wiadomosc.html

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Silesia Superior
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #5031
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaskovitz View Post
but all in Polish.
That's the fun for me, trying to understand words and sentences
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #5032
kamilbuk

Begrudge Chris, quite interesting stuff.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5033
mapman:cz
Ministerskż rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's the fun for me, trying to understand words and sentences
Yeah, I agree té-fau-en warszawa Pytanie wiec jak to mozliwe ze samochody sie tutaj nie potopia? Opowiedzia sa te rury )) How simple
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #5034
Blaskovitz

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Yeah, I agree té-fau-en warszawa Pytanie wiec jak to mozliwe ze samochody sie tutaj nie potopia? Opowiedzia sa te rury )) How simple
Simple answer for simple people. This is TV station for normal, typical inhabitants who don't know nothing about roads etc.

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Silesia Superior
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #5035
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

I must admit it's a really well done reportage without any moaning and content-related mistakes.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #5036
mapman:cz
Ministerskż rada

Likes (Received): 202

Yes, I agree, it is easy to understand even for me, I just don't believe that A2 will be ready for EURO 2012 all the way from Wawa to Łódż...
Old September 25th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #5037
Warsawbynight

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman:cz View Post
Yes, I agree, it is easy to understand even for me, I just don't believe that A2 will be ready for EURO 2012 all the way from Wawa to Łódż...
It must be ready. Maybe some interchanges will be still closed, maybe there will be no nearby infrastructure, but the motorway will be ready
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #5038
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Chris can you speak any Polish?

I am Western Slavic so it`s not so hard to understand (even if I am speaking with Polish people every day) but this guy is talking so fast.. so I have to listen carefuly

Quote:
Pytanie wiec jak to mozliwe ze samochody sie tutaj nie potopia? Opowiedzia sa te rury
Really? It`s totally different on other motorways and roads.

and for me as a Slovak there is really funny moment - "Berlina, Pariza, Madrida..zachodu Europy"

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..

Last edited by seem; September 26th, 2010 at 03:34 AM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #5039
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It is known that freezing temperatures can prevent asphalt from being poured. I'm not sure how this works out with concrete, as the last concrete motorway in the Netherlands was completed 20 years ago, so there is almost no expertise on concrete motorways in the Netherlands. But I assume working pace will be lower from ~November - ~March.
Asphalt paving (hot mix) is generally done at temperatures above 15C (City of Kamloops guidelines). Generally, the hotter the day, the better. Cold weather asphalt (cold mix) is temporary. It's generally used to fill a pothole temporarily, until the weather warms enough for hot mix to be used.

Concrete isn't as dependent on temperature. the ingredients used, change with the temperature, thus allowing it to be poured at well below freezing. Even at -35C. The only thing affected, is the crews working. For safety, they may not be permitted to work during extreme cold spells/high wind chill factors.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #5040
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Asphalt paving (hot mix) is generally done at temperatures above 15C (City of Kamloops guidelines)
Maybe it depends from asphalt mix? I'm sure I've seen asphalt paving done in lower temperatures on some polish constructions.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road