daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:16 PM   #5461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I don't think so either, unless you live in the Baltics perhaps. I even doubt if many western Europeans will drive to Ukraine for Euro 2012. Maybe some Poles or Germans will do that if they play in L'viv. The reputation of UA in western Europe is quite bad.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #5462
and802

Likes (Received): 55

well, looks like I was to much positive about it.

I thought Polish authorities should understand that traffic will increase somehow and this is our own (Polish) goal to make this corridor as much accessible/passable as possible.

but your opinions does not meet my assumptions.
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #5463
Tornadoli

Likes (Received): 0

I have some questions which might have obvious answers, but I am wondering:

1) What is the importance of the S3 road? I heard that it was planned to be A3 previously, and it was downgraded. Nevertheless, it seems to have quite high priority, as quite large parts are already done, and large parts are under construction. I cannot see the importance of this road, as it only connects a few mid-sized cities. S6, S5, S7, S8 seem much more important to me, and I don't understand why S3 seems to have a higher priority.

2) What is the importance of the eastern part of A2? Yes, it would connect Russia with Europe, and therefore could be important, but is it easy to get through Belarus? Should it be a high-priority road?

3) What is the importance of the northern part of the S7 (Warsaw - Gdańsk)? Wouldn't it be quicker to build a road straight from Warsaw to around Bydgoszcz, which would require less building of new roads (only a connecting road between A1 and Warsaw) and still have more or less the same distance to Gdańsk?

Last edited by Tornadoli; December 2nd, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Tornadoli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

1) S3 serves traffic from the Silesian industrial area towards the port of Szczecin. Besides that, Szczecin, Gorzów Wielkopolski, Zielona Góra and Legnica are all cities with more than 100.000 inhabitants.

2) The eastern part of A4 serves Ukraine, not Belarus nor Russia. In 2005 around 10.000 vehicles per day crossed the PL/UA border at Korczowa and Medyka combined, no doubt it has increased since (abolishing of visa for Ukraine). It is the key transit route for Ukraine to the industries of Germany and the major seaports on the North Sea.

3) S7 serves through traffic from Gdansk to Warszawa, and also serves a large rural area. In 2005 the entire corridor saw volumes over 10.000 vehicles per day. The connection to Bydgoszcz will be in the form of S10 from Plonsk.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM   #5465
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

Ad 1
Connecting Szczecin (seaport) to the country. Currently Szczecin has better connection with Germany (I mean quality, not lenght) than with Poland.

Ad 2
Ukraine - does this word ring any bells?

Ad 3
S7 also covers connection to Olszytn capital city of Warmia & Mazury region. Anyway, road from Warsaw to Bygdoszcz & Toruń has already been modernised to GP-class, and some day it will be upgraded to S-class.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM   #5466
toonczyk
autostradożerca

But this is true, that there are many other roads, which based on traffic volume should have priority over S7 and A4-east. I think especially in case of A4 priorities were political, due to hype around PL-UA football championship in 2012.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:39 PM   #5467
Tornadoli

Oh sorry, I mistyped. Of course I see the importance of the eastern part of A4 (Ukraine!), I meant the eastern part of the A2 highway.

About S3 - there is an S road planned going from the Silesian industrial area to Poznań. Therefore, if the justification of the S3 was to connect Szczecin to the Silesian industrial area, then a much bigger priority should have been given to the S-road from the Silesian industrial area to Poznań, not the S3 road.

toonczyk, which roads do you think should have been given higher priority?

Everyone, why is Poland building S-roads instead of A-roads? Their parameters are more or less the same, and just the fact that one will have to be paid by drivers and one will not is a bad argument, as one can just make free A-roads.
Tornadoli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:24 AM   #5468
toonczyk
autostradożerca

I think rings of all major cities and bypasses of all cities above 20k should be a priority. Warsaw is one big example of how priorities are all wrong. Our capital is going to be the last city among those with more than 200k citizens to get a real bypass (well, unless we manage to overtake Białystok). But it's too late to change that, maybe roads should be built in different order, but I'm more than happy with what we are getting anyway!
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM   #5469
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Likes (Received): 4736

There is no importance to build A2 to the Belarus border because traffic to Belarus is so poor. Why? Belarus is very... hmm intresting country
Erm why connecting Silesia with Poznań should be more prioritized?
And you must realized - when you will drive 2x2 S road in Poland you would think that it is Highway just like in Western Europe so it's just a few technicall parameters of difference between Autostrada and Droga Ekspresowa in Poland You wouldn't probably even noticed it.

Say "Thank you very much" to people who were protesting. Warsaw bypass is a years of protest because we in Poland just love to get new roads. But few kilometers away from our homes
Sasza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:06 AM   #5470
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12637

Snow in Poland

National Road nr 92

Motorway A2

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 09:18 AM   #5471
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadoli View Post
About S3 - there is an S road planned going from the Silesian industrial area to Poznań. Therefore, if the justification of the S3 was to connect Szczecin to the Silesian industrial area, then a much bigger priority should have been given to the S-road from the Silesian industrial area to Poznań, not the S3 road.
There are basically three S-roads that you can use from Silesian cities to Szczecin, from west to east; S3, S5 and S11, using a combination of other A or S-roads.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:03 PM   #5472
kassper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasza View Post
There is no importance to build A2 to the Belarus border because traffic to Belarus is so poor. Why? Belarus is very... hmm intresting country
Erm why connecting Silesia with Poznań should be more prioritized?
And you must realized - when you will drive 2x2 S road in Poland you would think that it is Highway just like in Western Europe so it's just a few technicall parameters of difference between Autostrada and Droga Ekspresowa in Poland You wouldn't probably even noticed it.

Say "Thank you very much" to people who were protesting. Warsaw bypass is a years of protest because we in Poland just love to get new roads. But few kilometers away from our homes
i don't agree because trafic to belarus is bigger than you think.trafic on roads DK 19 or DK 8 is very big and conecting poland with orther countries should become a priority.
kassper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM   #5473
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Likes (Received): 4736

Yep but as you said DK19 and DK8 (and to be hones - DK19 is not so jammed road but DK8 it is indeed). Through them you can travell to Baltic Countries and there will be such a road Poland and Belarus have got very bad relations and our borders will be hard to close so priority for A2 to Belarus border is a good joke.
Sasza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:39 PM   #5474
jwojcie

Likes (Received): 4012

Regarding S3 road don't forget that KGHM is near by, which is fifth Polish company by market captialization, and first in terms of companies which actually produce anything material. There is not only Silesia in this equation, at least not only Upper one
jwojcie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #5475
michal_OMB
look here -->

Likes (Received): 32

[A8] Bypass Wroclaw

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #5476
michal_OMB
look here -->

[S3] Szczecin - Gorzow WLKP.

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #5477
michal_OMB
look here -->

[DTŚ] Drogowa Trasa Srednicowa (Silesia/Zabrze)

photos by gpj70

Old December 5th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #5478
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When will they open S3? I thought it was "december".
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #5479
michal_OMB
look here -->

planned date this 22.12.2010
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #5480
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasza View Post
There is no importance to build A2 to the Belarus border because traffic to Belarus is so poor.
So poor? Quite interesting sentence.
One of the 2035 forecasts shows over 32k AADT at the interchange with S19 (in 2020 - over 20k on whole section between Warsaw and S19).

Source:
http://siskom.waw.pl/autostrady/a2/w...g-ruch_w-1.pdf

More:
http://siskom.waw.pl/a2-warszawa-kukuryki.htm
michael_siberia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road