daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #6061
bigalowski

Likes (Received): 1

thanks, I meant the construction of the motorway or expressway. In my opinion this should be priority to the Lover Silesia Voivodeship authorities right now. Current road is not only congested but also dangerous. Say, are there any remains in Poland of the original Strecke 88 you might know of? I know there is some in Czech Republik. As a matter of fact some sections have been finished and are in use.
bigalowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6062
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalowski View Post
thanks, I meant the construction of the motorway or expressway. In my opinion this should be priority to the Lover Silesia Voivodeship authorities right now. Current road is not only congested but also dangerous. Say, are there any remains in Poland of the original Strecke 88 you might know of? I know there is some in Czech Republik. As a matter of fact some sections have been finished and are in use.
Fantasies of Lower Silesian Voivodship are not binding for central authorities in Warsaw. There are other prorities and such visions have to wait.

Last edited by Mateusz; May 18th, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #6063
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

For Lower Silesia like for the half of Poland would be much more important to build S5 between Wroclaw and A1 in Grudziadz. it would connect three economically important cities: Wroclaw, Poznan and Gdansk - which are also going to be a host cities for upcoming Euro2012 tournament. Apparently this is not priority for our government.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6064
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I think the first concern is to build a Warszawa - Katowice - Wien motorway. Then the old Wroclaw - Wien motorway could be revived. But quite frankly I think Wrocław - Praha is more important right now than Wrocław - Wien.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #6065
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

I wonder what the situation with Via Carpatia is. Does anybody still talk about this project?
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #6066
rakcancer

Via Carpatia = S19(most of it). Not much is happening at the present just a bit of work around bigger cities: Rzeszow, Lublin and Bialystok plus two bypasses of smaller towns. Whole concept of via Carpatia was mostly highlighted by previous government pushing strongly concept of decreasing of differences between eastern less developed part and the rest of Poland. Although common sense and lack of money made this project is moved to the future (probably after 2015) and helping to finance and focuse on other important north-south projects like A1, S7, S8, S3.

Last edited by rakcancer; May 18th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #6067
bleetz
one.man.army

Since Via Carpatia is supposed to include the section Bialystok-Augustow, wouldn't it make more sense to start building that section first, given that Bialystok-Warsaw is largely U/C or complete? This way Via Baltica from Augustow to Zambrow wouldn't even be needed and most of Augustow - Warsaw would be good. To be honest, the current plan to build Via Baltica and Via Carpatia in north-eastern Poland doesn't make much sense to me. It does seem quite "luxurious" to have two good roads from Zambrow to Augustow. They could just build a Bialystok - Augustow section and that would be fine as the distance is pretty much the same. Surely if you take away all transit traffic then S61 north of Zambrow wouldn't really be needed (?). Of course it would be great to have both roads but it seems like we are not getting any of them any time soon, so why not just go with one, i.e. Augustow (Budzisko?) - Bialystok?

Last edited by bleetz; May 18th, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
bleetz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6068
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think the first concern is to build a Warszawa - Katowice - Wien motorway. Then the old Wroclaw - Wien motorway could be revived. But quite frankly I think Wrocław - Praha is more important right now than Wrocław - Wien.
I agree. I drove from Warsaw to Vienna in October and it was quite a mix of good new roads and bad old roads. From Katowice to Vienna there is a choice of indirect routes, none of which are good.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #6069
rakcancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
Since Via Carpatia is supposed to include the section Bialystok-Augustow, wouldn't it make more sense to start building that section first, given that Bialystok-Warsaw is largely U/C or complete? This way Via Baltica from Augustow to Zambrow wouldn't even be needed and most of Augustow - Warsaw would be good. To be honest, the current plan to build Via Baltica and Via Carpatia in north-eastern Poland doesn't make much sense to me. It does seem quite "luxurious" to have two good roads from Zambrow to Augustow. They could just build a Bialystok - Augustow section and that would be fine as the distance is pretty much the same. Surely if you take away all transit traffic then S61 north of Zambrow wouldn't really be needed (?). Of course it would be great to have both roads but it seems like we are not getting any of them any time soon, so why not just go with one, i.e. Augustow (Budzisko?) - Bialystok?
You are right. It seems so easy and smart especially if you look at the map. Reality is a bit different. Two reasons: 1) The strong lobby of Lomza city forced our previous government to quit working on Via Baltica through Bialystok and build it as S61 through Lomza instead. 2) Environmental issues on planned section between Augustow and Bialystok. All that made any plans regarding road Bialystok - Augustow be put aside for the future.
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #6070
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

Wroclaw - A8

This bridge has the highest bridge pylon in Poland.
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #6071
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The S61 Łomża variant is actually quite a bit shorter for traffic from Lithuania to Warszawa than S8 via Białystok would have been.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #6072
rakcancer

True, but it will serve for fewer people. 65K Lomza is no match for 300K Bialystok.
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #6073
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sure, but Białystok will still be served by S8 and S19.
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #6074
bigalowski

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I agree. I drove from Warsaw to Vienna in October and it was quite a mix of good new roads and bad old roads. From Katowice to Vienna there is a choice of indirect routes, none of which are good.
A1 from Sośnica Intercharge all the way to the Polish Czech border should be opened soon. Anyone knows the deadline of the remaining sections to be opened? Alsp the Czechs (PL - CZ border Ostrava section) should be done pretty much soon!
bigalowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #6075
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'd count on at least another year before A1/D1 will open completely. Probably early 2012.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #6076
bleetz
one.man.army

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The S61 Łomża variant is actually quite a bit shorter for traffic from Lithuania to Warszawa than S8 via Białystok would have been.
30 km shorter, yes, but given that S8 to Bialystok is more or less U/C, it would require a similar (or lower) amount of work and would serve more people. Of course if there are environmental issues then it is a different story. I hate environmental issues
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #6077
rakcancer

[QUOTE=.... I hate environmental issues [/QUOTE]

So do I. We have that problem especially in North-East. On the other hand we learned a bitter lesson quiting after trying to build Augustow bypass against clear rules Natura 2000 which we (our government) applied itself few years earlier.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6078
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalowski View Post
A1 from Sośnica Intercharge all the way to the Polish Czech border should be opened soon. Anyone knows the deadline of the remaining sections to be opened? Alsp the Czechs (PL - CZ border Ostrava section) should be done pretty much soon!
I chose the A1 to D1 when I drove it last time, primarily because I was curious to see the construction. Since then, more of the A1 has opened, but not all. Vienna -> Brno also includes either old roads or a significant detour via Bratislava.

I'm tempted to try Vienna -> Bratislava -> Zilina -> Krakow -> Warsaw when I drive it in July. I'm open to suggestions.
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #6079
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I chose the A1 to D1 when I drove it last time, primarily because I was curious to see the construction. Since then, more of the A1 has opened, but not all. Vienna -> Brno also includes either old roads or a significant detour via Bratislava.

I'm tempted to try Vienna -> Bratislava -> Zilina -> Krakow -> Warsaw when I drive it in July. I'm open to suggestions.
In my personal experience, Vienna - Brno - Olomouc - Ostrava - Katowice - Warsaw is better. There is some non-motorway stretch between Vienna and Brno, but the road there is wide and it doesn't go through many villages. Apart from that, it's motorway all the way till Polish border (mind that Google Maps aren't up-to-date concerning Czech and Polish motorway network), and then the combination of DW932, A1, A4, DK86, DK1 and DK8 gives you decent enough connection (well, apart from the bit of DK8 from Tomaszów Mazowiecki till Warsaw which is currently undergoing reconstruction, but it's hard to bypass even when going through Slovakia)

On the other hand, road from Żilina to Cieszyn is crappy in every meaning of this word and I hate it with every fibre of my being
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #6080
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
In my personal experience, Vienna - Brno - Olomouc - Ostrava - Katowice - Warsaw is better.
That's about how I drove last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
On the other hand, road from Żilina to Cieszyn is crappy in every meaning of this word and I hate it with every fibre of my being
Thanks, but what about the road from Zilina to Zywiec? Cieszyn is out of the way to get to Krakow.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road