daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #6341
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

When I was doing my driving licence in 1996 we were taught that left lane is for faster driving, if you see someone behind you, then you should change your lane. But in cities where the taffic is big, its hard to use only right lane and left for overtaking only.

Last edited by delfin_pl; July 5th, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #6342
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Well, obviously. You don't keep on switching to the left, only to switch again a few seconds later for overtaking. But when the right-hand lane is fully clear, you move back to the right. That's how it works.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #6343
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I often drive 200-220 km/h. When there are only two lanes and the right lane is clear, I try to stay in the right lane. I never know when someone might approach from behind at 300km/h and at that speed there is not much time to move right, especially because I might have to merge with slower traffic. When there are three lanes and I'm driving over 200km/h, I usually try to stay in the middle lane except when I need to use the left lane to overtake.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #6344
mariamaria1

Likes (Received): 0

BLOWN UP TYRES

Hi all,

I am looking for blown up, torn, shredded car and truck tyres for sculptural installation. I am sure you all witnessed a tyre explosion or had trouble caused by the remaining parts left on the roads.

As strange as my request sounds, it is an incredibly important project. I am looking for contact details to people in charge of clearing highways and those who take care of these blown up tyres.
If you could tell me where to call, who to ask and how to get in touch with them I would be very grateful. Also, if you come up with some ideas about where I could source the tyres, i will be extremely thankful.

I know they are everywhere, but believe me it is nearly impossible to source them!

Look forward to hearing from you.
mariamaria1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #6345
rav00

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I often drive 200-220 km/h. When there are only two lanes and the right lane is clear, I try to stay in the right lane. I never know when someone might approach from behind at 300km/h and at that speed there is not much time to move right, especially because I might have to merge with slower traffic. When there are three lanes and I'm driving over 200km/h, I usually try to stay in the middle lane except when I need to use the left lane to overtake.
200 on two-lane road? All two-lane autobahns I've seen in Germany had 120 kmph limit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl
Ok, but driving faster than who? Remember that the right lane is still empty... ;]
rav00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6346
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav00 View Post
200 on two-lane road? All two-lane autobahns I've seen in Germany had 120 kmph limit...
How many two-lane motorways have you seen in Germany? One?
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #6347
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Here's a map of speed limits, might be a little outdated:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/Limitkarte.pdf
Blue means no speed limit. Many of those limit-free sections have two lanes.
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #6348
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 506

Quote:
It's a lot of two-lane autobahn without speed limit... Where were you been?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #6349
mappero

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl View Post
When I was doing my driving licence in 1996 we were taught that left lane is for faster driving, if you see someone behind you, then you should change your lane. But in cities where the taffic is big, its hard to use only right lane and left for overtaking only.
What!? I am not agree with that!
I was doing my driving lessons also in Poland the same year you have done. Non one told us to use left lane when drive fast. We've told use ALWAYS right lane. Use left lane only when you're overtaking someone! I know in some regions of Poland there wasn't motorways but.. Rules are rules and according Polish Driving rules driver should always keep right

BTW, I hate how Polish drivers occupying left lane so often (the same for Dutch )

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #6350
Road_UK
BANNED

The Dutch keep overtaking lanes clear pretty well these days. The major irritation towards the Dutch these days are their extensive use of caravans. And here in Austria they have the name of driving pretty slow. Something I don't agree with, I find the Germans a lot slower.

Germans used to be irritated with Dutch drivers hogging overtaking lanes, but the Germans used to drive fast but disciplined in the earlier days; these days they are getting pretty good in hogging overtaking lanes as well. The Dutch really are not that bad.
Old July 5th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #6351
rav00

del
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #6352
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

S11 (western bypass of Poznan) by Carte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carte View Post
Kilka nieplanowanych fotek z dzisiaj (5.07.2011):

Old July 6th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #6353
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_kubek2 View Post
in poland you have to drive on the right side of the road, unless you want to overtake
There's common confusion around this law. Yes, you have to drive on the right, but overtaking on the right IS permitted in built-up areas when the number of lanes is >=2 (and >=3 outside city, but I'm yet to see such a road).

Of course, this exception does not apply to motorways.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #6354
toonczyk
autostradożerca

It is absolutely legal to overtake on the right on Polish motorways, as it is on all 2x2+ roads.
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #6355
mappero

What the heck? How come?
Only on one way roads and both direction roads when they have 3 or more lanes in the same direction you can overtake on the right. But in my opinion is very bad law about this in Poland. Should be removed from Polish Driving Rules asap.

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #6356
E2rdEm
prostownik

Likes (Received): 1201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
What the heck? How come?
Why there's always someone arguing that?
Read the rules - PoRD, art. 24 ust. 10 ppkt 1:
Quote:
10. Dopuszcza się wyprzedzanie z prawej strony na odcinku drogi z wyznaczonymi pasami ruchu, przy zachowaniu warunków określonych w ust. 1 i 7:

1. na jezdni jednokierunkowej;
Motorway is two "jezdnie jednokierunkowe". Always.

Last edited by E2rdEm; July 6th, 2011 at 06:25 PM.
E2rdEm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #6357
mappero

Do you think is reasonable to do it? Overtaking with high speed on the right side?
I think only in Poland law treats motorways as two parallel one way roads! That sick!

Old July 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #6358
rav00

Of course it's not - just like travelling at Vmax in Germany just because you can.
On the other hand - I don't remember hearing and seeing many accidents caused by overtaking on the right.
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #6359
Yamamoto

Likes (Received): 0

A question about the best route at the moment for driving from Rostock (coming from Denmark) to Warszawa. Normally I would drive via Berlin and then DK2/A2 to Warszawa. Unfortunately I have to drive on a Saturday, and I am concerned about the traffic jams on the DK2 between the German border and A2.

So I was considering to avoid that part, by doing one of these two options:

* Driving via Szczecin and DK10.
* Driving almost to Berlin and take B1 and DK22, DK24 and DK3 to Nowy Tomysl and then A2/DK2.

Any recent experiences or general advice will be appriciated.

BTW, any news on the Chinese parts of the A2 constructions close to Warszawa?
Yamamoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #6360
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Do you think is reasonable to do it? Overtaking with high speed on the right side?
In Sweden, overtaking on the right side is legel. So I think its reasonable.
Orionol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road