daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #6801
rav00

Likes (Received): 164

If you go into opposing traffic you'll be looking for headlights, not lines on the road. ;]
rav00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #6802
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17386

From: http://gddkia.gov.pl/article/9946/fo...ve-been-signed
Quote:
Four new contracts for the construction of the S8 expressway have been signed
The contracts for four sections of the S8 expressway from the Łask junction to the connection to the A-1 motorway in the region of Rzgów of the total length of 33.5 km were signed in the Łódź branch of GDDKiA. 32 bridges and 8 large animal crossings will be built under these contracts.

Section 6 (green color on the attached map) which is 9.2 km long and includes two road junctions and a dozen of engineering facilities, is part of one contract together with the seventh section (blue color on the attached map), which is 3.6 km long and will serve as a connection between the express road S-8, and the western Pabianice ring road, i.e. the express road S-14 (Dobroń junction).

Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #6803
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10148

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav00 View Post
If you go into opposing traffic you'll be looking for headlights, not lines on the road. ;]
Come to think of it, with the way people in Poland drive, I should be looking for headlights even when I'm going in the right direction.
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #6804
bigalowski

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbur66 View Post
Come to think of it, with the way people in Poland drive, I should be looking for headlights even when I'm going in the right direction.
Yes, these you'll need for those who drive on the middle-lane on a three-lane freeways.
bigalowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6805
Marbur66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalowski View Post
Yes, these you'll need for those who drive on the middle-lane on a three-lane freeways.
I had to drive on the unpaved shoulder of a 1X1 highway at 80km/h because some jackass decided to pass a truck and I would have hit him dead-on if I didn't swerve. This happened twice on my drive from Warszawa to Bialystok. I complain about the drivers here in Toronto, but I think I have it pretty well compared to the bullshit I've seen in other countries (Jamaica is the overwhelming winner of the "dangerous and inconsiderate driver contest").
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #6806
Janek0

Likes (Received): 449

Fortunately undertaking is allowed.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #6807
bigalowski

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I had to drive on the unpaved shoulder of a 1X1 highway at 80km/h because some jackass decided to pass a truck and I would have hit him dead-on if I didn't swerve. This happened twice on my drive from Warszawa to Bialystok. I complain about the drivers here in Toronto, but I think I have it pretty well compared to the bullshit I've seen in other countries (Jamaica is the overwhelming winner of the "dangerous and inconsiderate driver contest").
then Poland matches up to countries like Jamaica. A lot of drivers here suffer from road rage. In addition the quality of Polish roads and recent increase in number of cars lead to many fatalities.
bigalowski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #6808
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Try driving in Pakistan. I spent several hours (as a passenger) trying to figure out whether driving was on the right side or the left side. Everyone drove right down the centre of the highway. Sometimes we swerved right for oncoming vehicles and sometimes we swerved left. It was always a game of chicken with every driver determined to make the other driver swerve first. Poland is quite civilized by comparison.

In the specific case of Warsaw to Bialystok, the risk will be reduced next year as two new sections of 2x2 expressway open.

Last edited by mcarling; October 8th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #6809
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19357

The number of passenger cars in Poland increased by 70% in the past 10 years. Mileage driven probably even more, yet fatalities dropped. Though Poland is still one of the worst countries in the European Union when it comes to road safety, the trend is set and will improve more in the coming years. Countries with high fatality rates are often countries which lack motorways on busy long-distance routes. Spain made phenomenal progress with traffic safety after almost all important long-distances routes were replaced by motorways. It quickly dropped from one of the worst to one of the best in Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #6810
Marbur66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The number of passenger cars in Poland increased by 70% in the past 10 years. Mileage driven probably even more, yet fatalities dropped. Though Poland is still one of the worst countries in the European Union when it comes to road safety, the trend is set and will improve more in the coming years. Countries with high fatality rates are often countries which lack motorways on busy long-distance routes. Spain made phenomenal progress with traffic safety after almost all important long-distances routes were replaced by motorways. It quickly dropped from one of the worst to one of the best in Europe.
No doubt. From what I've seen here on SSC, Poland is going to have excellent, modern motorways which connect all the major cities in the not- too-distant future.
Old October 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #6811
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

S69 Bielsko Biala - Zywiec by Marek Kocjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek_kocjan View Post
Aktualizacja zdjęć lotniczych budowy S69 Bielsko-Biała - Żywiec
http://www.kocjan.pl/thumbnails-77.html

Przebieg S69 w kierunku Żywca za Węzłem Mikuszowice:

Węzeł Buczkowice:

Węzeł Łodygowice:

Węzeł Żywiec:

Przebieg S69 od Węzła Żywiec w kierunku Bielska-Białej:

Estakada ES-09:

Pocztówka wykonana nad Węzłem Żywiec:
Old October 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #6812
Matz32Z
Obserwator

Likes (Received): 273

A4 traffic in Katowice

Tunel Katowice - DTS

A1

Last edited by Matz32Z; October 11th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Matz32Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #6813
Blaskovitz

Likes (Received): 319

A1

more photos and cool informations + film in English: http://trojmiasto.gazeta.pl/trojmias...dcinku_A1.html

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Silesia Superior
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #6814
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm pleased to see that A1 has a space reservation for 2x3 lanes
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #6815
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17386

A1 will have sprace reservation for 2x3 lanes everywhere
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #6816
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I noticed many recent S-projects also have space for 2x3 lanes.
Old October 10th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #6817
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I noticed many recent S-projects also have space for 2x3 lanes.
According to secret, never confirmed internal circular at GDDKiA (no kiddin'...), all TEN-T roads must be designed with 2x3 in the back of head. This was introduced some time after Poland joined the EU.

For example, designed bypass of Augustów, at section that will be someday S61, has also such one.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #6818
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I was in Poland last week. I hadn't been there in two years, and expected a major improvement on its roads. It was a major dissapointment. I knew the A4/E40 was completed from the German border onwards, so I went that way. Another dissapointed. Yes, it's completed - but it isn't much of a road... I wasnh't very impressed. I know they can do better then that, as they did a good job on the A4 after Wrocklaw.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #6819
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I was in Poland last week. I hadn't been there in two years, and expected a major improvement on its roads.
I'm not sure why you expected that. I drive across Poland once or twice a year. When convenient, I try to choose a route that includes either a stretch of road under construction (because I enjoy seeing the works) or a stretch that was completed since my last trip or both. However, I don't expect the overall trip to be dramatically different from one year to the next. It takes many years to build a road network. While I would be happy to see faster progress, I'm satisfied with the rate at which Poland is building new highways.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #6820
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
- but it isn't much of a road...
how do you mean that? what is it then?
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road