daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2011, 11:22 PM   #6821
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
how do you mean that? what is it then?
A concrete cattle grid.

And in response to your previous comment... I expected some national routes to be subjected to improvements. Not just motorways.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #6822
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
A concrete cattle grid.
Well, that sounds a bit as if you drove on DK18, not A4.
Quote:
And in response to your previous comment... I expected some national routes to be subjected to improvements. Not just motorways.
They are subject to some major improvements. Perhaps you were unlucky with your route - where have you been except A4?
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #6823
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
Well, that sounds a bit as if you drove on DK18, not A4.

They are subject to some major improvements. Perhaps you were unlucky with your route - where have you been except A4?
Been to Walbrzych. And that A4 from border is supposed to be new. It didn't look new to me.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #6824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

I've read there are some problems with the westernmost section of A4, I believe some issues with longitudinal cracks or joints that broke.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #6825
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
And that A4 from border is supposed to be new. It didn't look new to me.
I still suspect you drove on DK18, not A4 Looked like this?
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6826
Road_UK
BANNED

Yes it did. It wasn't there two years ago, there were towns and cows and dodgy level crossings... So the extension from the German A4 isn't called A4 in Poland until further away?
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:15 AM   #6827
kooba

Likes (Received): 5155

Quote:
I was in Poland last week. I hadn't been there in two years, and expected a major improvement on its roads. It was a major dissapointment. I knew the A4/E40 was completed from the German border onwards, so I went that way. Another dissapointed. Yes, it's completed - but it isn't much of a road... I wasnh't very impressed. I know they can do better then that, as they did a good job on the A4 after Wrocklaw.
I assume that you talking about A4 Krzyżowa-Wrocław. This road was originally build in 1936 by Germans

Quote:
So the extension from the German A4 isn't called A4 in Poland until further away?
Jest it is. There is brand new A4 from German border (Zgorzelec) to Krzyżowa. There is also "half" motorway DK18 (sometimes called A18) from German border (Olszyna) to Krzyżowa (A4). South carriageway of this road is in dramatical condition.
kooba está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #6828
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Yes it did. It wasn't there two years ago, there were towns and cows and dodgy level crossings... So the extension from the German A4 isn't called A4 in Poland until further away?
It is, the photo is of A4. Well, if Chris says there are some problems then there probably are, but I haven't heard anything about it. The section between the border and Krzyżowa is new and I consider it a very high quality road, unlike the section from Krzyżowa to Wrocław (which is in very poor shape).
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #6829
Road_UK
BANNED

No, I'm talking about the new bit of A4, right after Goerlitz border, heading towards Wrocklaw. That wasn't there 2 years ago, and it looks like that road posted above, which is dissapointing for a neww road.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #6830
kooba

Quote:
No, I'm talking about the new bit of A4, right after Goerlitz border, heading towards Wrocklaw. That wasn't there 2 years ago, and it looks like that road posted above, which is dissapointing for a neww road.
Now I don't get you. I drove this road about year ago, and it was excellent new highway.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6831
Road_UK
BANNED

You can tell by that picture that it's not an exellent new highway, right? This road does not fall under the definition of an exellent new highway. It looks like plates of concrete have been placed in a field.

Take a look at some of the latest pictures that Chris has posted in the Netherlands thread, and compare.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #6832
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Now I'm really confused. What is it that you expect of motorways then, other than two smooth and wide carriageways? I'm really curious - which roads in Europe do you consider "excellent new highways"?
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #6833
kooba

Quote:
You can tell by that picture that it's not an exellent new highway, right? This road does not fall under the definition of an exellent new highway. It looks like plates of concrete have been placed in a field.
It's concrete, but it's very smooth. Unless something terrible happened with this road since last year Do you feel some uncomfortableness in your car?
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #6834
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
Now I'm really confused. What is it that you expect of motorways then, other than two smooth and wide carriageways? I'm really curious - which roads in Europe do you consider "excellent new highways"?
A4 AFTER Wrocklaw, A38 in Germany, most French tollroads, new A4 between Turin and Milan, recent refurbished roads in the Netherlands, large parts of the newly refurbished A3 in Germany all fall under exellent new highways. And there are more. The new refurbished R2 at Antwerp is dissapointing as well, and has the same quality as that new A4 in Poland. If you're going to build new motorways, then try and make it look like a new motorway. I know you guys in Poland probably are happy with a little less, after the state of most of your roads have been in, but hey... you're in Europe now. Your tax money deserves better. And so does mine, as a lot of these projects are funded by the European Union.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #6835
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooba View Post
It's concrete, but it's very smooth. Unless something terrible happened with this road since last year Do you feel some uncomfortableness in your car?
Apart from that racket coming from between the wheels and the road surface? And the cracks in the road? No. But it was a sunny day. I'll expect to be driving on it in the rain in the next few weeks. And I'll be here to write about it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6836
jaxa

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
A4 AFTER Wrocklaw, A38 in Germany, most French tollroads, new A4 between Turin and Milan, recent refurbished roads in the Netherlands, large parts of the newly refurbished A3 in Germany all fall under exellent new highways. And there are more. The new refurbished R2 at Antwerp is dissapointing as well, and has the same quality as that new A4 in Poland. If you're going to build new motorways, then try and make it look like a new motorway. I know you guys in Poland probably are happy with a little less, after the state of most of your roads have been in, but hey... you're in Europe now. Your tax money deserves better. And so does mine, as a lot of these projects are funded by the European Union.
I still dont get what is wrong with that road. I would say it is much better than german part.
jaxa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #6837
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Still I can't see any difference between A38 and the section of A4 in question. A4 in Italy has three lanes and that's pretty much all the difference I can spot. Could you be more specific what features do they have that our A4 lacks? Is it just about the surface (maybe something went wrong there since I drove on it, as Chris mentioned)?
I'm not trying to be defensive, I'm honestly curious. For me this section, along with rebuilt parts of A2 near Graz and A5 north of Wien, are the highest quality roads I drove on.
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:57 AM   #6838
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxa View Post
I still dont get what is wrong with that road. I would say it is much better than german part.
Oh dear God...
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #6839
kooba

I still don't know what is wrong with this section of A4. It's looks great to me. And I have seen motorways in eg. Germany, Netherlands. Maybe you can be more specific?

Out of curiosity - why you keep spelling Wrocław - Wrocklaw? It's just a mistake, or you trying to replace "ł" with "kl" ?

Quote:
Apart from that racket coming from between the wheels and the road surface? And the cracks in the road? No.
I read it too late. Well what can I say.. I didn't experience that. Maybe you overreacting just a bit.
Old October 11th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #6840
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
(...) but hey... you're in Europe now.
In Europe NOW? And where was Poland before that?? In Asia?

Quote:
Your tax money deserves better. And so does mine, as a lot of these projects are funded by the European Union
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that road. It's concrete so it's a different feeling to drive on it comparing to asphalt roads, but it's nice and smooth. Maybe you're not used to such surface and you're overreacting as kooba said?

I agree that a lot should be expected from new roads built in Poland, but I find this one in particular totally OK and to me you're just nitpicking. And I have no idea why...
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road