daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #7001
mr.cool

Likes (Received): 824

Is there a certain temperature that decides whether construction works of motorways are called off for a particular day? I know that the winter season there is hardly any work but I was wondering to if there is a certain temperature that has an impact on it or not? Thanks.
mr.cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7002
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17453

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cool View Post
Is there a certain temperature that decides whether construction works of motorways are called off for a particular day? I know that the winter season there is hardly any work but I was wondering to if there is a certain temperature that has an impact on it or not? Thanks.
It depends on what kind of construction works are carried out. All works should stop at about -5/-10 Celsius degree. In the lower temperatures the ground is frozen, unfit to carry out any construction work.
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7003
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
It depends on what kind of construction works are carried out. All works should stop at about -5/-10 Celsius degree. In the lower temperatures the ground is frozen, unfit to carry out any construction work.
Not all works should stop at -5, you can pour concrete as long as it is special winter mix. In Canada there are concrete jobs going at -15 -20.
Of course it is more expensive and not always make sense.
You can also continue works with metal constructions etc.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #7004
Rombi

Likes (Received): 305

Poland in third place together with Bulgaria in terms of fatalities per million inhabitants in the EU. At first, an honorable place Greece and Romania on the second. Datas for the year 2010.
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleases...guiLanguage=en
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #7005
Ult1me

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
Actually, S74 runs between functional city centre and northern districts (flats and indtustrial district on the western side of railway). It's somewhat like S8 in Warsaw.

It's not a bad idea, although it might look like. With all respect for Kielce, it is a medium-sized city. This expressway should serve the city and transit properly for longer than decade.

After that we're gonna be rich enough to build eastern bypass of Kielce along S73, mirroring S7 .
In Kielce we have much traffic to eastern side, unfortunately we've got only one main, wide road to this direction (Sandomierska Street, actually part of National Road 74). In rush hour it's horribly hard to get outside from the city... This ~6 km will help to organise traffic in all eastern part of Kielce, where now it takes sometimes 15-20 mins to pass about 1km.

S73? It's such a nice idea... In this moment, the north side of N. Road 73 which goes to Kielce Północ interchange (with S7) looks like an expressway, but it have two left-turnings.
And EU doesn't want to give us a subsidy to rebuild an southern part of 73 near Kielce.

(Sry for my English)
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #7006
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Pretty bad. But mark my words, it will improve dramatically as soon as the busy long-distance routes are replaced by motorways. Most countries which score bad at traffic safety lack motorways. You can also see that Spain had one the largest reduction in traffic fatalities at the same time a huge motorway network was developed. It is now the safest country in southern Europe. The next problem for Poland to tackle is driving under influence.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #7007
Bzyq_74

Likes (Received): 253

Increase penalties for violations of traffic rules would improve the statistics of fatal accidents.
Bzyq_74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7008
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

I do agree with above statement. Polish drivers are mostly demoralized as it comes to traffic laws obedience. One of the reason is low level of police monitoring coverage. I'm afraid that Polish drivers will transfer their bad habits into highways and expressways...
Switek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7009
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19179

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You can also see that Spain had one the largest reduction in traffic fatalities at the same time a huge motorway network was developed. It is now the safest country in southern Europe. T
Something similar is happening in Ireland. After they opened their motorway network it become one of the safest countries in Europe.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #7010
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switek View Post
I do agree with above statement. Polish drivers are mostly demoralized as it comes to traffic laws obedience. One of the reason is low level of police monitoring coverage. I'm afraid that Polish drivers will transfer their bad habits into highways and expressways...
Actually Poles behave rather well on motorways, given how little experience they have with them. Compared to what's happening on Italian motorways, we drive in a really calm and safe fashion in my opinion.

As for the penalties for speeding - I would welcome raising them in built up areas. But outside... I'm not so sure, since whenever I see police cars "hunting", it's not in really dangerous spots, but in places where for no apparent reason there is a local speed limit.

I really think we're going to see a tremendous positive change (in terms of road fatalities) in 2013 due to all of the new roads kicking in. But it's going to take us a long, long time to catch up with the west.
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #7011
rav00

Likes (Received): 165

Let's completely ban cars - after that, car accidents would drop do zero. ;]

And as for higher penalties - I wouldn't expect drastic increase in this field. Sadly, speedcameras and other means of speed measuring in Poland are supposed to bring money to the budget. If penalties were very high, there would be fewer fatalities, but also cashflow would stop.

Some speedcameras were already taken down because drivers slowed down and "money box" ceased generating income.

Quote:
Actually Poles behave rather well on motorways, given how little experience they have with them. Compared to what's happening on Italian motorways, we drive in a really calm and safe fashion in my opinion.
This summer in Croatia, the only two dangerous situations I had were caused by damned Italian drivers... ;/
rav00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #7012
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
I really think we're going to see a tremendous positive change (in terms of road fatalities) in 2013 due to all of the new roads kicking in. But it's going to take us a long, long time to catch up with the west.
Slovakia managed to do it already. It's now the safest country in central Europe.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #7013
madad

Likes (Received): 1

Hello Polish colleagues,

I am driving often from Brno(CZ) to Poznan and I am curious if there are future plans of continuing the highway near Wroclaw (A8) to south of Poland ?

I try to draw a line on the route i'm interested about.
Thank you for your answers

Old October 26th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #7014
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

It's not difficult to imagine the S8 eventually being extended from Wroclaw to (bypass) Ząbkowice Śląskie or Klodzko. Any further would probably require a cooperative arrangement with the Czech Republic to build an R-class road from the R35 at Mohelnice to the border. Without major EU funding, it seems unlikely.

Once the D1/A1 motorway opens up at the CZ/PL border (next summer?), that will be your fastest and safest route between Brno and Wroclaw.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #7015
kooba

Likes (Received): 5156

Also there will be S3 road from Lubawka (PL/CZ border). It have environmental decision (DŚU), but low priority so it's unlikely to be build for next few years. As far as I know Czech side is not hurrying up on they side neither (R11).

A8/S8 extension to the south it's NOT planned at all, so let's leave it to imagination

Last edited by kooba; October 27th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
kooba está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #7016
madad

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
It's not difficult to imagine the S8 eventually being extended from Wroclaw to (bypass) Ząbkowice Śląskie or Klodzko. Any further would probably require a cooperative arrangement with the Czech Republic to build an R-class road from the R35 at Mohelnice to the border. Without major EU funding, it seems unlikely.

Once the D1/A1 motorway opens up at the CZ/PL border (next summer?), that will be your fastest and safest route between Brno and Wroclaw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooba View Post
Also there will be S3 road from Lubawka (PL/CZ border). It have environmental decision (DŚU), but low priority so it's unlikely to be build for next few years. As far as I know Czech side is not hurrying up on they side neither (R11).

A8/S8 extension to the south it's NOT planned at all, so let's leave it to imagination
Thank you!
Old October 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #7017
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by madad View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome. BTW, someday it might be better to take the S11 between Katowice and Poznan than to take the A4 and S5 via Wroclaw, but at least for the next five years it will be best to go via Wroclaw.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #7018
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post

As for the penalties for speeding - I would welcome raising them in built up areas. But outside... I'm not so sure, since whenever I see police cars "hunting", it's not in really dangerous spots, but in places where for no apparent reason there is a local speed limit.

I agree.

There are many morons but usually driving on the Polish Motorway is a breeze, especially compared to here. One of the main reasons is exactly that the speed limit is higher and enforcement is low. In the NL I am constantly on the lookout for dirty speed traps. In PL, I just set CC @ 160 kph and sit back.
Only overtaking lorries are a *****, especially the ones who take ages, aside from lorries, driving on PL motorways is great.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #7019
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

S69 Bielsko Biala - Zywiec by Marek Kocjan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek_kocjan View Post
Nowe zdjęcia - www.facebook.com

Old October 28th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #7020
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufonut View Post
S69 Bielsko Biala - Zywiec by Marek Kocjan

A lot of lights at this road! It's a model called SGS 306. You can find a lot of that model in the UK too.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road