daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #7281
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I agree that the A18 is a likely candidate for funding in the EU's 2014-2020 budget.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #7282
Marbur66

Likes (Received): 10155

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
P.S.: IMHO, instead of signing Świecko (PL)(D) on the A2, they should sign Słubice (PL)(D) as the latter is the biggest town before Germany & the first is just a village without importance just aside of it ... Even for local tourism it'd be more interesting !
I noticed that too. Polish road signs are funny sometimes, because the distance signs will show 2-3 cities/towns up ahead, and one of them is often no more than an insignificant village located about 500kms away. I guess they have a policy of noting border towns, no matter how tiny they are??
Marbur66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #7283
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbur66 View Post
I guess they have a policy of noting border towns, no matter how tiny they are??
Exactly, as the last town on the road... even if there is no interchange.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #7284
Sponsor

Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #7285
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

They are not signing "the town", they are signing Swiecko as a border crossing which is logical enough. People don't care about Swiecko, they care about where they are going to cross the border if they follow the road and they will do so at the Swiecko crossing and that's what they put on the signs.
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #7286
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

And if you want to use another border crossing than the road you managed to get on, you won't finy any.

These border crossing villages make no sense in this era of Schengen. Especially not from across the entire country, I can understand from the last major town, but from 500 - 800 km away?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #7287
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

It depends... I can agree with your logic but Polish regulations are as they are.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #7288
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switek View Post
Polish regulations are as they are.
These regulations mandating bad signage can and should be fixed.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #7289
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

It's just a matter of time I guess.
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #7290
mcarling

I would agree that there are higher priorities than improving the regulation of road signs regarding border towns, but it's easy and the costs (including opportunity costs) are very low. I hope we don't have to wait many years for better signs.
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #7291
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

I wouldn't agree to say Poland has a bad signage. On the contrary, my point is: it is sometimes way too precise! Even if I agree that people are interested in the last point of the country.

Ex.: why sign, when entering Poland from Lithuania in Ogrodniki on DK16 (maybe it changed since 2003 , but there are lots of other examples like that) "Dolna Grupa" ? "Grudziądz" is more than enough.

Signing Słubice (PL)(D) from Poznań on (or even from Warsaw on) would be O.K. Why not signing Świecko (PL)(D) only from the Słubice A2 interchange ?
Same for Jędrzychowice (PL)(D) instead of Zgorzelec (PL)(D) on A4; and for Olszyna (PL)(D) on DK18 – why not sign Chociebuż/Cottbus/Chośebuz (D) ? (I know ChrisZwolle won’t really like that trilingual Polish/German/Sorbian one ), but maybe I will talk more about this on the "bilingual signs" thread

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #7292
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Today were signed 2 contracts for Lublin bypass (S12/S17/S19 ) with Dragados so soon we'll have 69 kilometres S12/S17 under construction in lubelskie voivodeship
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #7293
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

You left out the best part: deadline is 24 months (December 2013). Really fast for a completely new motorway. Often you see 24 months for small projects (like interchanges), but not so much for entirely new routes like these
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #7294
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

Also, the tender for extension of Trasa Armii Krajowej in Warsaw was announced.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #7295
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You left out the best part: deadline is 24 months (December 2013). Really fast for a completely new motorway. Often you see 24 months for small projects (like interchanges), but not so much for entirely new routes like these
I actually think this is a right thing to do, usually those deadlines are ridiculously long. If everything goes as expected, we'll have a new benchmark soon: A2 Warszawa-Łódź will have been built in about 20 months (construction has started in fall of 2010).
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #7296
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hmm it's a standard deadline for new build motorways and expressways in Poland. In many cases contractors finish all works before deadline (18-22 months) ,especially when winter is warm like in this year.

Last edited by Strzala; December 6th, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
Strzala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #7297
Yamamoto

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
Also, the tender for extension of Trasa Armii Krajowej in Warsaw was announced.
In which area/where is the tender for?

Personally I still dream about an S7, but probably not for this Christmas.
Yamamoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #7298
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzala View Post
Today were signed 2 contracts for Lublin bypass (S12/S17/S19 ) with Dragados so soon we'll have 69 kilometres S12/S17 under construction in lubelskie voivodeship.
I look forward to seeing red replace yellow on the next map.
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #7299
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamoto View Post
In which area/where is the tender for?
The blue section of S8 on this map, between already finished part in the west and the part U/C right now in the east:
http://ssc-mapa.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nowa-mapa.png

The biggest challenge is actually reconstruction of the bridge, since it's the bridge with highest traffic in Warsaw (and probably in Poland) with over 150k AADT in 2005.
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #7300
Yamamoto

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
The blue section of S8 on this map, between already finished part in the west and the part U/C right now in the east:
http://ssc-mapa.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/nowa-mapa.png

The biggest challenge is actually reconstruction of the bridge, since it's the bridge with highest traffic in Warsaw (and probably in Poland) with over 150k AADT in 2005.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. That stretch is also quite poor, compared to the very nice new S8 parts. Obviously it going to take years before the tender turn into nice new asphalt.
Yamamoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road