daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7441
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

They weren't signed yet - will be on January 5th.

Usually works start within a month, but because they have tocut al the trees by March 15th, I suppose they will start within just a few days.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #7442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I'm a bit surprised to read that a DŚU has been taken for the S19 Rzeszów - Slovak border. As far as I know, this section does not have a high priority, or am I wrong? With which specs will the S19 be constructed? 2x2 lanes?

How long is a DŚU valid?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #7443
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

It's valid 4 years and can be extended by another 2.

However, it is easier to take another DŚU when we have all the documents for the old one. That is why this is done now.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #7444
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Rumor has it that someone in Brussels decided that Rzeszów to Prešov should be a priority, so it seems that Poland might be able to get a bit more EU funding if they agree to build the S19 from Rzeszów to the CZ border than if they don't. I expect to see evidence of similar pressure on Slovakia to build the R4 from Prešov to the PL border.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #7445
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think it's an important corridor, linking the Baltics and Poland with Romania and Bulgaria.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #7446
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12639

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #7447
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think it's an important corridor, linking the Baltics and Poland with Romania and Bulgaria.
I agree 100%. Moreover, last summer I went through that path. Lots of cars & quite a lot of lorries ...

P.S.: @Rusonaldo - 12 bridges for the A1/A2 exchange ? Wow ! Impressive !

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #7448
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think the classic approach to motorways in central Europe has focused a bit too much on east-west connections, or better; not enough on north-south routes. There are close to no completed north-south links in central Europe, for instance Wroclaw - Wien, or Praha - Linz, or Kraków - Budapest, or Rzeszów - Oradea. All of them have significant missing links (in fact there are more missing than completed kilometers for most of these corridors).
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #7449
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
I think the classic approach to motorways in central Europe has focused a bit too much on east-west connections, or better; not enough on north-south routes. There are close to no completed north-south links in central Europe, for instance Wroclaw - Wien, or Praha - Linz, or Kraków - Budapest, or Rzeszów - Oradea. All of them have significant missing links (in fact there are more missing than completed kilometers for most of these corridors).
Once again I agree 100% ! We can also mention the Via Baltica which seems all but forgotten and which would be the only connection between the Baltics & the rest of the EU via expressway/motorway !

Surprisingly (or not), S3 seems not to be a priority for the Lower Silesian voivodship (contrary to the Lubusz voivodship). Although they have an excuse: the A8/S8 from Wrocław to the Northeast ...

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #7450
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Chris, take a look at traffic data. The economic heart of Europe is in the west, not south. Thus, east-west connections were, are and will be more important.

If there is a single north-south connection in Poland which has a substantial traffic it is thanks to local / metropolitan / regional / national traffic, not international.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #7451
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I know that, but I think it can also be attributed to the fact there are basically only 2 major east-west routes to connect all of Poland to western Europe (A2 & A4), while there are maybe 6 or 7 major north-south routes. If traffic on these routes would increase by only 10 000 vehicles, you're suddenly in need of 6 or 7 new motorways...

Traffic volumes are typically the lowest in border regions, and often truck traffic shares are high in those areas, regularly up to 40 or even 50% of all traffic.

I think there will be an increase of north-south traffic in central Europe, especially beyond 2020, that makes international north-south motorways necessary too.
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #7452
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
Chris, take a look at traffic data. The economic heart of Europe is in the west, not south. Thus, east-west connections were, are and will be more important.

If there is a single north-south connection in Poland which has a substantial traffic it is thanks to local / metropolitan / regional / national traffic, not international.
I agree with you for the present. Not for the future. The development of the routes ChrisZwolle and I mentioned above is the key for major development of Northern to Southern European exchanges.

Moreover, did you see the growing quantity of Serbian lorries between Miskolc (H) and Rzeszów (PL) ? The enormous quantity of Polish cars and lorries and Ukrainian minibuses between Miskolc (H) and Prešov (SK) ?

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #7453
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Also, when you look at the TEN-T projects in the region you notice only two north - south corridors (Katowice - Krakow into Brno Wien- Bratislava).

The quiet traffic can be reasond quite easily with the forreign trade (here we talk about goods) directions, its either import from China (NL) and west going into the region, or export going from the region to the west, since we talk mostly about manufacture goods, the motorways are the best way to transport these things. There is not so much foreign trade going on in the region itself in the north - south direction.

Last edited by Surel; December 29th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #7454
mcarling

I've driven both of these routes: Katowice <-> Brno and Krakow <-> Bratislava. The former will be ok this coming spring and the latter will probably be quite poor between Zilina and Krakow for years to come.
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #7455
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
(...) while there are maybe 6 or 7 major north-south routes.
1) Wrocław - Prague,
2) Upper Silesia - Brno - Bratislava,
3) Kraków - Bratislava,
4) Rzeszów - Presov.
...??

Quote:
If traffic on these routes would increase by only 10 000 vehicles, you're suddenly in need of 6 or 7 new motorways...
10 000 vehicles for a motorway / expressway?
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #7456
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I can also think of Wroclaw - Brno - Wien and Gliwice - Ostrava + Katowice - Ostrava + Katowice - Zilina.

Most of these routes carry between 5.000 and 10.000 vehicles per day outside the cities. If traffic increases to 15.000 - 20.000 vehicles you surely need something better than a two-lane road. I prefer the construction of 2+1 roads in the 2015 - 2025 timeframe which can be expanded to a 2x2 motorway if traffic volumes require it.
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #7457
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12639

@ GROBIN

Yes. This Interchange have 12 bridge
Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #7458
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Ostrava - Zilina I/11 is built as 1+1 with reserve for 2x2, I68 planned as 2x2, or the connection already exists as 2x2 on the Czech side (R56, R48). The I/11 should do with 20 000 per day. Anyway I expect that after the Polish - Slovak S69 D3 connection is built then the need for 2x2 will be much lower.

Last edited by Surel; December 29th, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #7459
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Anyway I expect that after the Polish - Slovak S69 D3 connection is built then the need for 2x2 will be much lower.
When will this connection be built?
Capt.Vimes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #7460
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
When will this connection be built?
Bielsko-Biała - Žilina S69/D3 will probably be finished about 2020.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road