daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

How are the works progressing now that the winter has really attacked? I mean A2 and A4 specifically.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7602
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How are the works progressing ...
Everything has ground to a halt because of the very low temperatures. If I were to say it's freezing, it would be a bit of an understatement. Just take a look at what we had today - click. And the general forecast is for temperatures to fall even further.

It's perfect weather for skiing but not a lot of people I know would relish the idea of working outside for 8 hours when it's -12 ºC. Yeah, I know it's difficult to imagine what it's like when you sit in an air-conditioned office with hot coffee on tap, broadband internet at your fingertips and a warm lunch waiting for you in the canteen at midday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala
Is there anyone from Legnica in this forum who now this?
I know this hotel and have had the odd lunch there while travelling. The owners have worked very hard to retain much of the original look and feel of the place, hence when you walk in it feels like you've travelled back in time. Quite a surreal feeling, really, but all done in the nicest way possible. As far as I know, the building dates back to the 1930s.

Drogowskaz Classic

Last edited by MAG; February 1st, 2012 at 02:09 AM.
MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:01 PM   #7603
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post

I know this hotel and have had the odd lunch there while travelling. The owners have worked very hard to retain much of the original look and feel of the place, hence when you walk in it feels like you've travelled back in time. Quite a surreal feeling, really, but all done in the nicest way possible. As far as I know, the building dates back to the 1930s.

Thank You! Very interesting! Yes it was a feeling of travelling back in time when I used this motel. It was interesting. Maybe they built the petrol station and the motel at the same time when this motorway was new in 1936-1937? A charming and interesting place for motorway fans.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:33 PM   #7604
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I think this picture must be from around 1936-1937. Same old petrol station. The dark building at the right side of the petrol station must be the same building you can se at the new picture with the text BAR on it. Maybe it was a restaurant at the old picture too?

But its not possible to see if the motel exist in that time or not. It is behind the camera.

Is there anyone from Legnica in this forum who now this?
WoW! I spent hundreds of hours of my childhood waiting for petrol during communism time in People's Republic of Poland. Cause I was really young and everytime was waiting like 2-4 hours to tank a car with 20 litres of gasoline (84 octanes) I was looking for Western cars with DDR, D, NL plates. They could tank without waiting... cause they had decent money like DM or USD... Very often I got something like Donald chewing gum, Fanta or just orange from those "capitalism creatures"
It's funny and nostalgic for me when I am passing this gas station driving to D, NL, B, CH, F
Hope this building will stay till 100 years anniversary of opening this gas station

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7605
Andrzej_3598

Likes (Received): 11

Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
WoW! I spent hundreds of hours of my childhood waiting for petrol during communism time in People's Republic of Poland. Cause I was really young and everytime was waiting like 2-4 hours to tank a car with 20 litres of gasoline (84 octanes) I was looking for Western cars with DDR, D, NL plates. They could tank without waiting... cause they had decent money like DM or USD... Very often I got something like Donald chewing gum, Fanta or just orange from those "capitalism creatures"
It's funny and nostalgic for me when I am passing this gas station driving to D, NL, B, CH, F
Hope this building will stay till 100 years anniversary of opening this gas station
If I remember correctly, it was no 84 octans gasoline in PRL. Only 78 "blue", 86 "green" (nothing to do with ecology!) and 94 "yellow".
Andrzej_3598 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:27 PM   #7606
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej_3598 View Post
If I remember correctly, it was no 84 octans gasoline in PRL. Only 78 "blue", 86 "green" (nothing to do with ecology!) and 94 "yellow".
You are right, there was no 84 gasoline in PRL

Last edited by Luki_SL; February 2nd, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7607
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej_3598 View Post
So what sort of petrol did someone with a Volvo or a Mercedes used in Poland in that time?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #7608
Stratocaster
Floyd Rose Classic 22fret

diesel
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM   #7609
Andrzej_3598

Likes (Received): 11

Gasoline in PRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
So what sort of petrol did someone with a Volvo or a Mercedes used in Poland in that time?
As Stratocaster wrote - diesel (ON) which btw was quite cheap and available without talons (picture from Wiki):

Additionally: Volvo and Mercedes were not so popular these days as you can imagine. In '70 and '80 this was most popular car in Poland:

- wiki

No diesel version ;-)
Andrzej_3598 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:15 AM   #7610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Is that a golf cart?
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:17 AM   #7611
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2109

The fabulous Fiat 126. When I was a kid in my hometown, everybody had one of those, or a Fiat 500.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #7612
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Dutch are the tallest people in the world, I don't think I could fit in a car like that. I've driven the Toyota Starlet of my ex-girlfriend and my legs were stuck between the accelerator and the stick or the steering wheel.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7613
drowningman666

Likes (Received): 413

so now imagine that sometimes there were 5 people riding in this car
Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM   #7614
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2109

Italians were shorter
A friend of mine is something shorter than 2 meters tall, when he bought a car he was pretty much forced to get a Fiat Punto (first version) because it was one of the few cars he could enter.

EDIT: However I read in a forum of a guy 1.87m tall who used to drive a 126 without particular problems.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #7615
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

I did my driving license with this car and I loved it, they were also quite popular in Southern Italy.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:14 AM   #7616
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17443

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningman666 View Post
so now imagine that sometimes there were 5 people riding in this car
There was the times when all family (2+2) were gone away several hundreds of kilometers by Fiat 126p with all equipment
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #7617
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
There was the times when all family (2+2) were gone away several hundreds of kilometers by Fiat 126p with all equipment
And with heated back seats and no motorway obviously.

Worth to read, especially the "Political connotations" section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_126

Nowadays it also finds a role:

Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:43 AM   #7618
rav00

Likes (Received): 165

RWD with air-cooled engine in the back - just like Porsche. ;]
rav00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7619
Halfpipesaur
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
EDIT: However I read in a forum of a guy 1.87m tall who used to drive a 126 without particular problems.
My dad still has one of those (but it actually stays in garage all the time - car, not dad). He's 192cm.
Halfpipesaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7620
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

In the end of 1990's I saw, on my own eyes that one farmer transported a calf in 126P...

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road