daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #7761
niskogradnja
Used Register

Likes (Received): 626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I hope Poland fixes its noise regulations, because this is completely over the top.
Sorry, but u have to learn how corruption works: More soundwalls- more money. (We need more walls here, and also there...)

Branko Ćopić (1915 – 1984)
niskogradnja no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #7762
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
I hope Poland fixes its noise regulations, because this is completely over the top. Numerous new roads in Poland are excessively soundwalled to a point it becomes claustrophobic.

"Poland, the country behind soundwalls".
Common! It's like on A2 and N2 in Eindhoven, but the speed limit in Eindhoven is 120/80 km/h and here with soundwalls you have 140 km/h. What do u prefer?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7763
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
the speed limit in Eindhoven is 120/80 km/h and here with soundwalls you have 140 km/h.
There is a 80km/h speed limit on this bridge.
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7764
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I prefer a pragmatic approach to traffic noise. You can't conform to 45 or 50 dB along every road (or railroad for that matter) at all cost.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #7765
mappero

Don't take to yourself too deeply but it's very Dutch approach... and you are Dutch...
Money it's not the main factor of decision or project management as some people would like to follow.
It's better to have possibility to see surrounding when you drive but... will you live in this house here: A28

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #7766
lukaszek89
BANNED

Likes (Received): 930

I hate those soundwalls, but probably the reason is chaotic urbanisation as in mappero example, in Poland there are often houses in the middle of nothing...
lukaszek89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #7767
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's important to understand that the 50 dB limit is exceeded in virtually every city street, not just along major trafficked roadways. In fact 500 mopeds, 1.000 cars or 100 trucks a day is enough to exceed 50 dB at properties close to the roadway. And sound screens are not feasible in most of those situations (you can't put a 4 m tall noise screen along every urban street).
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #7768
mappero

With motorways/highways it's very different. The problem is not single object making xx dB. Those mentioned roads are source of constant moderate noise - all they long and night. And this is more dangerous for human live in vicinity.

Old March 25th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #7769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Many more houses are within 10 - 20 meters of an urban street than a motorway or expressway... In fact a building at a distance of 80 meters of 100 km/h 50.000 vpd traffic may recieve just as much noise as a building at a distance of 15 meters of 50 km/h 20.000 vpd traffic. The decibel scale is logaritmic. circa 3 dB equals double volume or double distance.

The usual approach in the Netherlands is to make the sides of the buildings facing the roadway (thus receive most noise) "deaf" by soundproofing it. It's far more cost effective than giant noise screens to protect only a few buildings. Besides that, it only applies to buildings with constant habitation (like houses) which excludes office buildings or industrial areas.

That's what I mean with "pragmatic". You can't expect urban environments to have 50 dB or less noise levels at all times. 50 dB is really low. The rule should be "50 dB if reasonably and cost-effectively possible". Besides, I'm wondering what these noise screens so close to the roadway will do for traffic safety, it obstructs the line of sight in curves.
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #7770
katsuma
BANNED

Likes (Received): 567

To be brutally honest, at times those soundwalls look to me as a fairly good way to hide ugliness of some neighbourhoods.
katsuma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #7771
Sponsor

At least they could be more aesthetic

Kraków
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7772
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9111

Quote:
Originally Posted by niskogradnja View Post
Sorry, but u have to learn how corruption works: More soundwalls- more money. (We need more walls here, and also there...)
Your scenario could exist 20 years ago, but today it's just maniacal care about electorate (less noise - more votes).

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7773
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I hope Poland fixes its noise regulations, because this is completely over the top. Numerous new roads in Poland are excessively soundwalled to a point it becomes claustrophobic.
You know, this is not a motorway in a middle of nowhere, it's an urban thoroughfare build in the middle of existing urban fabric. There is a lot of existing and planned development around this road, and I'm not talking about two houses in the middle of nothing, there are and will be a lot of mid-rise residential development in direct proximity.
Also, it is an extremely difficult thing to build anything in this country without NIMBYs opposition. Such soundproofing numbs down the protests and is less expensive than years spent in court.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #7774
Mr. America
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukaszek89 View Post
I hate those soundwalls, but probably the reason is chaotic urbanisation as in mappero example, in Poland there are often houses in the middle of nothing...
I hope, but sometimes, when i see where they place it (sometimes in the middle of nowhere, with no houses or any other buildings, where it's really unnecessary) I'm affraid that the real reason is corruption, as in niskogradnja example
Mr. America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #7775
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Such soundproofing numbs down the protests and is less expensive than years spent in court.
That's what I mean by fixing regulation.

I'm not saying there shouldn't any noise abatement at all, but all these 5 - 6 meter tall screens immediately next to the driving lanes are completely over the top, especially considering most buildings along the Northern Bridge and its approaches are at least 100 meters away from the highway.

What's the exact noise level limit in Poland? In the Netherlands the preferred limit for road traffic noise is 48 dB but "escape clauses" to 53 dB in rural and 63 dB in urban areas are possible (as much as 73 dB in (rare) specific cases along railroads even). But if you go over them you need soundproofing.

My apartment receives 81 dB due to a railroad by the way. But I prefer that over a giant noise screen that blocks my view. My apartment is soundproofed and I can barely hear the trains inside.
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #7776
Blaskovitz

Likes (Received): 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by niskogradnja View Post
Stupid talking... Just ask people who lives near motorways what they feel when this stupid "soundwalls" doesn't exist!!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Silesia Superior
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7777
Mr. America
przestrzeń-ludzie-miasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaskovitz View Post
Stupid talking... Just ask people who lives near motorways what they feel when this stupid "soundwalls" doesn't exist!!
The problem is, that sometimes people don't want soundwalls in front of their homes - for example in Cracow, when new tram line was built. Unfortunatly, no one in Infrastructure and Communication Department cared about it, and the soundwalls were built

It's crazy, isn't it?
Mr. America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #7778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The government is obligated to "protect its citizens from noise", so they have to install a noise screen, whether people like it or not. We've had similar cases in the Netherlands. However, this obligation usually only applies if there is a new or modified road, so existing violations of noise levels do not have to be mitigated. That's why you only see these giant noise screens along new or reconstructed roads, and Poland has a lot of them
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #7779
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

just out of curiosity: why dont you use transparent soundwalls?
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #7780
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

Pictures made by amiron from this thread.

The order of the pictures is from Konotopa road junction toward Stryków. You can clearly see why they build a "tunnel without the roof".

I guess there's the limit between D and E sections... Differences in the progress of the construction is so moving...

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road