daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #8301
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Ports in Gdansk and Gdynia are already booming and speditors from what I have been hearing are actually not complaining about road access but rail access. Completion of A1 will for sure make Polish ports more competitive especially around Gdansk Bay since it's the only navigatable area of the Baltic Sea in the winter.

Better case for ports would be S3. There were rumours for years that Germans tried to torpedo any kind of construction of S3 in Poland because they feared that southern Europeans would switch from using German highways and German ports to using Polish expressway and ports around Szczecin/Swinoujscie. Ports in E. Germany were in terrible economic shape. I dont know what the current status is but at least parts of S3 are already under operation and new stretches are under construction.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8302
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Double?
No, I don't think that completion of the A1 could lead to a doubling of activity at the Port of Gdansk. 50% would be a large increase.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:37 PM   #8303
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

A1 near Katowice airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katowice Airport View Post
Witam,

Kilka zdjęć otwartego dzisiaj odcinka Autostrady A1 i drogi ekspresowej S1 w bezpośredniej bliskości Katowice Airport.

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8304
Urbain

Likes (Received): 0

Here's for those who accuse me of trolling, only a small example of the new Polish expressways: http://glosnarodu.pl/Wiesci-z-kraju/...dnicy-Warszawy and another: http://www.polskieradio.pl/5/3/Artyk...-Jest-sledztwo, and again: http://www.rdc.pl/index.php?/pol/aktualnosci/aktualnosci/polnocna_obwodnice_warszawy_czeka_remont (all in Polish) - brand new expressways already need to be repaired in Warsaw, the capital city!

Last edited by Urbain; June 1st, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
Urbain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:50 PM   #8305
woyteck

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbain View Post
I said it's one of many cases of material stealing, find out yourself!
On other stretches of motorways under construction, the robbery took place by truckloads!

These controls of GDDKIA you talk about only took place recently, and you can still hear of cases of robbery every single day on the papers, if not afterwards. Also, this agency was involved in corruption cases.

Unfortunately, for the great misfortune of motorists and taxpayers, many are still not apprehended. Just look by yourself!
This happens due to bad anti-corruption law, and general unwillingness of Poles to report such things. It is slowly changing for the better thou, but we should really have the same anti-corruption laws like there are in UK for example, yet corruption still takes place.

Also the theft, this comes from Polish mentality of things being communal, nationalized, therefore owned by nobody and just there to be taken.
A lot of us has to change the way of thinking, that is still based in communist era. And when corruption/misconduct scandals show up within polish politicians, the ordinary poles will say that it's allowed to do such things.

woyteck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8306
woyteck

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I meant more some of the Chineese goods for Eastern Europe being unloaded in Gdansk instead of Rotterdam. Not the bulk cargo.
Chinese goods can be transported using trans-siberian railway, and then using wide track of PKP LHS which ends near Kraków.
And it only takes 2 weeks by train in comparison to about 4 weeks using container ship and being unloaded in Rotterdam.
woyteck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:20 PM   #8307
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by woyteck View Post
Chinese goods can be transported using trans-siberian railway, and then using wide track of PKP LHS which ends near Kraków.
And it only takes 2 weeks by train in comparison to about 4 weeks using container ship and being unloaded in Rotterdam.
True. Actually I remember some people in CZ tried to revive that Oder-Donau link and also prolong the wide railway gauge track from Krakow to Bohumin. I guess the Polish side would not agree to this, as much profit opportunity would be lost (I mean agreeing to prolonging the track).

The trans-siberian is quite full already. It would need at least doubling to provide more capacity.

I was just interested in how much competition to the Dutch and German ports the Polish ports would mean when the motorway network in Poland will be adequate.

I know there were quite some problems with the Nord Stream pipe because of blocking deep sea ships from accesing Szczecin.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:49 AM   #8308
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbain
Here's for those who accuse me of trolling, only a small example of the new Polish expressways: http://glosnarodu.pl/Wiesci-z-kraju/...dnicy-Warszawy and another: http://www.polskieradio.pl/5/3/Artyk...-Jest-sledztwo, and again: http://www.rdc.pl/index.php?/pol/aktualnosci/aktualnosci/polnocna_obwodnice_warszawy_czeka_remont (all in Polish) - brand new expressways already need to be repaired in Warsaw, the capital city!
I asked for overall statistics concerning stealing materials on every construction site, but you quoted some newspaper news about one route of many. You do not understand the difference between statistic and newspaper news, do you ? Is this thread suitable for you, boy ?
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:57 AM   #8309
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
I meant more some of the Chineese goods for Eastern Europe being unloaded in Gdansk instead of Rotterdam. Not the bulk cargo.
The straits in Denmark, particularly the Great Belt, set the limits for ships going to Gdansk (or anywhere in the Baltic Sea). Cargo ships from China to Rotterdam often do not meet these limits.

The limits are: length 260 m, width 48 m, depth 15 m and height 65 m.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:00 AM   #8310
Urbain

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
I asked for overall statistics concerning stealing materials on every construction site, but you quoted some newspaper news about one route of many. You do not understand the difference between statistic and newspaper news, do you ? Is this thread suitable for you, boy ?
It's not one of many route, but almost all of them that are concerned.
For those of you who don't know, the Warsaw beltway was to be the model of all other expressways built in Poland. It is now clear, that this is a complete deception.

And yes, in Poland like elsewhere, major cases uncovered concerning public investments comes from the media and not from the government.

The GUS (Polish Central Statistical Office) has no such stats, the reason is very simple, we receive billions from UE, and therefore we can't publish such things.
The best statistic is to drive on this road (in this case) now, and in 1 to 2 years for the other newer section, to see what it's worth.
And for those who haven't known better roads than potholed and ruts DK (national roads), go to the Berliner Ring or the Amsterdam Ring and compare.
Urbain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:15 AM   #8311
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Thats great. Any news about Mszana? Are they going to do some temporary setup for the Euro?
No news yet, there will be no temporary bypass of MA-532. Final decision of the inspectors should be announced in a few days.
Quote:
False.
Quote:
For those of you who don't know, the Warsaw beltway was to be the model of all other expressways built in Poland.
Apparently I'm one of those who don't know. What does that even mean - model expressway? As in - others were supposed to be built in it's image? Where did you get that idea?

Also, what's wrong with S8? There were a couple of minor quality issues, all fixed quickly under warranty.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:38 AM   #8312
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

The guy does have a point though, in Poland the amount of roads with ''koleiny'' are staggering. Roads not even that old. Sure we have the same problem here in Holland, but to a FAR FAR lesser extent, the deepest ones I've seen here on 15 year old roads don't even come close to what I've seen in Poland, here they're mostly not even noticeable until it rains where you can see the rain tracks (bar a few extremes)... In Poland you can ruin your nice rims with low profile tyres, or even worse, smash into the tarmac if you have a low car. Not to mention the torture your suspension is taking.

I hope they build the new roads in a way, that they will still be ''decent'' in 10 years.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:18 AM   #8313
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
The straits in Denmark, particularly the Great Belt, set the limits for ships going to Gdansk (or anywhere in the Baltic Sea). Cargo ships from China to Rotterdam often do not meet these limits.

Ok. Thx. I wondered whether the strait pose some limits. Thus for Poland would be better to concentrate on the Trans-Siberian in this matter...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #8314
lukander
InvestMap.pl

Likes (Received): 14

Video from new opened part of A1 Pyrzowice - Zabrze Północ (28km) with Linkin Park soundtrack

FULL HD quality:

Enjoy
lukander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:48 AM   #8315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19357

Is there a faster edition? I like these videos, but 20 minutes is way too long.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8316
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

Quote:
Ok. Thx. I wondered whether the strait pose some limits. Thus for Poland would be better to concentrate on the Trans-Siberian in this matter...
Don't be too quick to reach that conclusion. Almost all containers that are shipped by sea are transshipped. A typical example would be a batch of containers are loaded onto a medium-sized ship at Shenzen, unloaded at Singapore and reloaded onto a huge ship which then sails to Rotterdam, then unloaded and reloaded onto a medium-sized ship bound for Hamburg. The cost of shipping by sea goes down quite quickly as the size of the ship increases. The largest container ships now in planning exceed 20,000 TEUs and would be capable of operating only between Singapore and Rotterdam -- given the current constraints at other ports. So, the cost of shipping by sea will continue to drop.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #8317
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Quote:
For those of you who don't know, the Warsaw beltway was to be the model of all other expressways built in Poland. It is now clear, that this is a complete deception.

And yes, in Poland like elsewhere, major cases uncovered concerning public investments comes from the media and not from the government.

The GUS (Polish Central Statistical Office) has no such stats, the reason is very simple, we receive billions from UE, and therefore we can't publish such things.
The best statistic is to drive on this road (in this case) now, and in 1 to 2 years for the other newer section, to see what it's worth.
And for those who haven't known better roads than potholed and ruts DK (national roads), go to the Berliner Ring or the Amsterdam Ring and compare.
why don't you start a polish corruption thread. all you're doing here is maliciously raining on our parade whilst we celebrate our achievements. you represent another kind of Polish sickness which can't accept that life is better or that anything is good and if anyone tries to say anything good about Poland this Polish complex feels compelled to trash it immediately. worst of all is that you probably don't live in Poland anymore but like to visit these sites to trash it. I've driven on the new new roads and they are very well maintained from what I could see after a few years no worse and in fact better than some Canadian roads. the kind of problems you describe are typical in countries with dramatic freeze-thaw, but they are fixed in Poland from what I have seen, but no one is perfect not even in the super rich Canadian dictatorship.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM   #8318
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Today in the afternoon opening A2 section A and B
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:19 PM   #8319
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

They have been already opened!!!

Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #8320
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8959

What´s the situaton at the toll plazas on the A4 between Wroclaw and Gliwice?
Is the traffic flow as smooth as ever or are there some tiny jams?

Any pictures maybe?
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road