daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM   #8321
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Likes (Received): 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
The guy does have a point though, in Poland the amount of roads with ''koleiny'' are staggering. Roads not even that old. Sure we have the same problem here in Holland, but to a FAR FAR lesser extent, the deepest ones I've seen here on 15 year old roads don't even come close to what I've seen in Poland, here they're mostly not even noticeable until it rains where you can see the rain tracks (bar a few extremes)... In Poland you can ruin your nice rims with low profile tyres, or even worse, smash into the tarmac if you have a low car. Not to mention the torture your suspension is taking.

I hope they build the new roads in a way, that they will still be ''decent'' in 10 years.
Poland roads... You are wrong, ruts are becoming less common. Do not talk nonsense.

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #8322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

If I'm correct the opened section A+B is 33.5 kilometer long (Łódź-Północ - Skierniewice). The eastern part of B is not accessible yet because section C has not opened yet.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM   #8323
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

So only a few kilometers of Section B are open (to DK70)?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8324
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I assume it is, the next exit is in section C, which has not opened yet. The same counts for the western part of section D (west of Grodzisk Mazowiecki). These parts will open when section C opens, apparently next Wednesday.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM   #8325
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

[A1] Pyrzowice - Gorzyczki (CZ) by hiob

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM   #8326
Lucky Luke

Likes (Received): 1543

Quote:
The guy does have a point though, in Poland the amount of roads with ''koleiny'' are staggering. Roads not even that old. Sure we have the same problem here in Holland, but to a FAR FAR lesser extent, the deepest ones I've seen here on 15 year old roads don't even come close to what I've seen in Poland, here they're mostly not even noticeable until it rains where you can see the rain tracks (bar a few extremes)... In Poland you can ruin your nice rims with low profile tyres, or even worse, smash into the tarmac if you have a low car. Not to mention the torture your suspension is taking.

I hope they build the new roads in a way, that they will still be ''decent'' in 10 years.
If you were talking about Polish roads from 5 or 10 years ago everyone would agree but right now it has changed a lot. There are still roads that are in poor condition but more and more roads is being renovated and currently state of many main roads is very good and many secondary roads are in great state too.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:15 PM   #8327
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkot634 View Post
Poland roads... You are wrong, ruts are becoming less common. Do not talk nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
If you were talking about Polish roads from 5 or 10 years ago everyone would agree but right now it has changed a lot. There are still roads that are in poor condition but more and more roads is being renovated and currently state of many main roads is very good and many secondary roads are in great state too.
I ruined the exhaust on Polish roads about a year ago when I was in Poland, and that was on a car with stock suspension, my own car a fair bit lower than that, only about 11 cm above the road surface at its lowest point. I dread to think what my oil sump, bumper and exhaust will look like after a bit of driving in Poland. Unless, the situation has improved dramatically.

I admit though, I haven't been in Poland yet for a while, last time was in sep 2011 I believe, can't recall exactly. But the situation then was still far from ideal.

I agree the situation is far better now and they are patching up roads far more than before, but what worries me is the lifespan of these roads. They just don't seem to last very long. Is that really just because of the climate (harsher winter temps) or is it due to substandard asphalt ?

Let's just say it like this, I'm used to driving where I don't have to worry about rut or potholes at all 99% of the time, only speedbumps are a threat for my lowered car and in winter some roads fail but are usually (emergency) repaired within a week. Last time I was in Poland I can clearly remember still having to evade potholes and rut in a normal unmodified car in summer! Of course this wasn't on any Highways or Expresroads but more of the local roads and the Warsaw city roads, but still... I hope I can drive up to Warsaw soon in my own lowered car without fearing I ruin the whole bottom of my car by smacking or scraping into the road.

Last edited by snowdog; June 3rd, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #8328
ja.centy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 61

I suppose, nobody would say that Polish roads are perfect, but as you may've seen e.g. in this thread, the situation has been improving for some time. I believe the quality of motorways and other major roads being built now is very good or excellent, plus the public tender winners certainly provide guarantee for their job.

I hope your other memories from Poland (non-infrastructure related) were not too bad anyway.
ja.centy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM   #8329
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja.centy View Post
I suppose, nobody would say that Polish roads are perfect, but as you may've seen e.g. in this thread, the situation has been improving for some time. I believe the quality of motorways and other major roads being built now is very good or excellent, plus the public tender winners certainly provide guarantee for their job.

I hope your other memories from Poland (non-infrastructure related) were not too bad anyway.
Well, my memories from Poland as a whole aren't exactly great from when I was small, but I'm a spoiled kid who pointed out anything substandard to what I was used to.

I'm a guy born in Holland but with 2 Polish parents, lived here all my life but visited Poland for at least 4 weeks every year as my whole family lives there, Warsaw, Lublin and in between ( near Garwolin).

I love Warsaw, I like how it is a far more modern city than Dutch cities, you can visit Tesco 24/7, order a beer at KFC, and how it's full of young people in the evening.
And I like the buildup more, nice n wide city streets.

But I also remember when I was little, and we stayed at my grandma's farm, electricity would cut out every time there was a bit of thunder, no internet, no cable tv, and no hot water ( only in winter when they burned the coal). And the driving over sand roads ( and how say 75% of the cars on the roads were A Fiat 126p, Fiat 125, an FSO polonez, some kind of ZUK, how our car there was nearly the only Japanese car on the road, I have a picture of 1993 or 1994 with our Nissan standing on a parking near Wasaw Central, surrounded by only hundreds of Maluchs ) and the regular police stops. These days it has much improved I agree. But I only really pop by for family, I doubt I'll want to live there in the future ( I still have the Polish nationality next to my Dutch one, but I doubt I'll use it).\

But back to roads, last year I was slightly annoyed how I had to fix the exhaust by the roadside because of the road .

Last edited by snowdog; June 3rd, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8330
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

S11 Western bypass of Poznan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paledzie View Post
Tuż przed otwarciem w całkiem licznym towarzystwie przejechaliśmy się na rowerkach od Dąbrówki do A2.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8331
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Stryków - Skierniewice. Notice the entire route has 70 km/h limitation because the top layer of pavement is missing. It gets slightly bumpy at most bridges. Other than that, it looks pretty much finished, apart from the missing reflector poles at times and a missing guardrail on the outside here and there.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:38 PM   #8332
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Notice the entire route has 70 km/h limitation because the top layer of pavement is missing.
I just watched the video (thanks for posting!) and some sections are signed for 120 km/h.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #8333
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Only the first and last kilometer. The rest has 70 km/h posted every few kilometers, which is never cancelled by "end speed reduction" signs.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8334
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Likes (Received): 562

Quote:
I ruined the exhaust on Polish roads about a year ago when I was in Poland, and that was on a car with stock suspension, my own car a fair bit lower than that, only about 11 cm above the road surface at its lowest point. I dread to think what my oil sump, bumper and exhaust will look like after a bit of driving in Poland. Unless, the situation has improved dramatically.

I admit though, I haven't been in Poland yet for a while, last time was in sep 2011 I believe, can't recall exactly. But the situation then was still far from ideal.

I agree the situation is far better now and they are patching up roads far more than before, but what worries me is the lifespan of these roads. They just don't seem to last very long. Is that really just because of the climate (harsher winter temps) or is it due to substandard asphalt ?

Let's just say it like this, I'm used to driving where I don't have to worry about rut or potholes at all 99% of the time, only speedbumps are a threat for my lowered car and in winter some roads fail but are usually (emergency) repaired within a week. Last time I was in Poland I can clearly remember still having to evade potholes and rut in a normal unmodified car in summer! Of course this wasn't on any Highways or Expresroads but more of the local roads and the Warsaw city roads, but still... I hope I can drive up to Warsaw soon in my own lowered car without fearing I ruin the whole bottom of my car by smacking or scraping into the road.
From what I know, national roads are in fairly good condition. Motorways and expressways are in excellent condition. The warranty on new roads is 10 years, so the roads are built on years. Bad roads are in cities, holes, ruts, local roads are often in poor condition. Despite this, local roads are repaired. Their condition is improving from year to year.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #8335
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

As someone who doesnt have any proper knowledge in the road construction I have a question. Does it pose any problem or is it quite normal and does it have any special purpose that the SMA is reaching to the sand over the underlying layer?

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:40 PM   #8336
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

High speed SMA work captured by Zielaczek.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8337
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
As someone who doesnt have any proper knowledge in the road construction I have a question. Does it pose any problem or is it quite normal and does it have any special purpose that the SMA is reaching to the sand over the underlying layer?
Afterwards they cut the excess off (underlying layer should be about 5cm wider at each side). As long as it's done precisely, it's not a problem.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #8338
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

thx
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:41 PM   #8339
MajKeR_
ˇLa Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
What´s the situaton at the toll plazas on the A4 between Wroclaw and Gliwice?
Is the traffic flow as smooth as ever or are there some tiny jams?

Any pictures maybe?
I've just returned from Szczecin - used S3, DK3, A4 and A1. At Wrocław's one after 7 PM there was small traffic jam on the west direction (for paying) - maybe 150 m long; taking ticket proceeded fast. In Gliwice about 9:30 PM I haven't seen any crush in each directions.

And about new stretch of A1 - I haven't known when it will be finally opened, so its working was great suprise for me. I'm very glad, because now I live two interchanges closer to motorway I've checked it only to Piekary Śląskie, but at that stretch it's very smooth, much more than between Gliwice Wschód (Maciejów) and Zabrze Północ (Wieszowa), where it's available from winter.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #8340
woyteck

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I've driven on the new new roads and they are very well maintained from what I could see after a few years no worse and in fact better than some Canadian roads. the kind of problems you describe are typical in countries with dramatic freeze-thaw, but they are fixed in Poland from what I have seen, but no one is perfect not even in the super rich Canadian dictatorship.
There is a permanent flaw in how polish road workers approach pot-hole fixing. It doesn't matter if it's winter or summer, pot-holes are fixed more less the same way. My main experience are Poznan streets (I am from Poznan, thou I don't live there anymore), and as soon as you leave the motorway, the pot-holes begin, ans they are so scattered that you are unable to avoid them.

But yes. The way they fix them leaves the uneven edge of the original pothole (instead of cutting out larger patch of tarmac) and the asphalt filler is usually left with a little hump, (I have no idea why they leave it like that, maybe they think that it will subside itself... but that would mean that the bottom layer of road should be fixed as well..., or they are just plain stupid ), so a constant flow of cars driving on the freshly fixed pot-hole hits the old pothole edge, then the hump applying extra pressure and in the end damaging the whole 'fixed' pothole even more.

They should send those workers for a training to for example, neighboring Germany, or if that's too expensive, to show them some Youtube videos of proper pot-hole fixing...

Rant over
woyteck no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road