daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #8461
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The destruction of Warsaw began in World War II and continued until 1989. The phoenix began to rise from the ashes only in the 1990s.
hardly.
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8462
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekph View Post
On Motorways and Expressways you can go up to 10 kmph above given limit without ticket, only because 10kmph margin is set to speed cameras. As far as I know police with manual speed measuring stuff is not obligated to that 10kmph margin.

So you can go without any problems (still against the law but w/o ticket) 9.9 kmph above speed limit on finish and completely ready dual carriageway motorways and expressways.

Note: For example on brand new A2, where there is no final layer ready on 1 small section with speed limit 70kmph you could meet police get ticket for overspeeding.

Enjoy
Yeaahhh, sure... Try this in The Netherlands, where you can obtain a ticket for speeding 3-4 km/h over speed limit. Normally that's way I am driving 122 km/h in NL :P and most of drivers. Speed cameras from overpasses or under the bridges are quite common.
We will see how will be on Polish new roads soon!
Quite surprising but Polish capitol get motorway connection after 79 yrs later than Wroclaw :P

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #8463
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Yeaahhh, sure... Try this in The Netherlands, where you can obtain a ticket for speeding 3-4 km/h over speed limit. Normally that's way I am driving 122 km/h in NL :P and most of drivers. Speed cameras from overpasses or under the bridges are quite common.
We will see how will be on Polish new roads soon!
Quite surprising but Polish capitol get motorway connection after 79 yrs later than Wroclaw :P
Actually, in the Netherlands you won't be fined until 128 km/h.
They only fine from 4 km/h to fast afaik.
128 km/h > 4km correction >124 km/h...
Anything under that will not be a fine iirc ?

But in Poland my experience is the Police don't care if you're driving fast on an empty motorway. Unlike here, where the highway robbers jump out of the bushes for small infractions. However, luckily a good sat nav (or mind, for fixed tax collector camera's), good eyes (keeping en eye on unmarked tax collectors) and Flitsnav or Flitsmeister (for the mobile laser or radar armed highway robbers) help A LOT.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #8464
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Now when Poland have some very nice motorways like the A2 all the way to Warszawa and the very nice motorway A4, they should do something with A18. That motorway is still horrible in the direction from German border and east. They really need to repair it. So I hope the do it soon now.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8465
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

It is not a motorway A18, but national road 18. It is signed as A18 only on very short section near A4. And really, there are many more important single carriageway sections with much higher traffic volumes. (A)18 is significant mainly because of the prestige.

Last edited by Janek0; June 9th, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #8466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Many other DK-roads in Poland were renovated, and so should DK18, the current condition is completely unacceptable, low traffic volumes or not.

By the way, the S7 around the southern side of Gdańsk opened to traffic!

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8467
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many other DK-roads in Poland were renovated, and so should DK18, the current condition is completely unacceptable, low traffic volumes or not.
In that case we should consider converting it into single carriageway until more important projects are done. But I am not sure that it would be safer than the current configuration.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #8468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How about a temporary 2+1 setup on the north carriageway? It could be a solution if it becomes clear renovation won't start for another 5 years or so.
Old June 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #8469
Switek
Zrzęda i Kiep Drogowy

Likes (Received): 150

It still requires certain sum of money. There's no place for temporary solutions in a situation when the second two lanes are anyway planned...
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #8470
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

Awesome! I'm going to be staying near there next week, I was just looking at the maps the other day and it wasn't on there yet. A good month for Poland.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #8471
Barciur
Ambasador Lublina

Likes (Received): 1542

So how long should it take now to get from Berlin to Warsaw?
Barciur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #8472
DammianBB

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
About 5 hours
DammianBB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #8473
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Likes (Received): 562

Quote:
That's right, nevertheless, still a lot of national roads in need of repair. But maybe simply I'm just a pessimist...
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #8474
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:

Are you sure about this? The S7 Gdańsk southern bypass isn't supposed to be open to traffic until the first week of July. But if it is than well done Poland for getting it opened ahead of schedule
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #8475
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Very sure

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #8476
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Wow! The rate of progress in opening new motorways and expressways in Poland is just staggering. Next month we can look forward to the openings of: A1 Świerklany - Polish/Czech border, A1 Kowal - Łódż Północ (Stryków) (maybe? its not definite), A2 Mińsk Maz bypass. Go Poland!
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #8477
Urbain

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Very sure

Nice road but too narrow - It was not possible to build it directly 3 lanes on each directions (to overpass a million inhabitants Three City - Gdansk, Sopot, Gdynia)?

In a few years it will need to be enlarged and, once again, with the problems we all know that occurs in Poland, traffic jams long time again ...
Urbain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #8478
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Four lanes can handle 70.000 - 80.000 vehicles per day, depending on the truck share. I don't think it will initially carry more than 20.000 vehicles per day, and future growth may be significant, but I think that largely depends on the rate of suburbanization of the area. Considering most of the Wisła River delta may not be suitable for large-scale housing developments, it's doubtful whether S7 will reach its capacity in the forseeable future (next 30 years).

I myself was more surprised with the S6/S7 interchange. It's a trumpet with the loop in the wrong direction (the heaviest flow). It would have made more sense to mirror the trumpet, so that Gdynia > Elbląg and vice versa traffic can maintain the highest speed.
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #8479
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switek View Post
It still requires certain sum of money. There's no place for temporary solutions in a situation when the second two lanes are anyway planned...
I agree. It would be quite expensive for a temporary solution that arguably is not even as good as the current state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DammianBB View Post
About 5 hours
5 hours would be a relaxed pace. 4 hours might be possible if you're aggressive.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #8480
Urbain

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Four lanes can handle 70.000 - 80.000 vehicles per day, depending on the truck share. I don't think it will initially carry more than 20.000 vehicles per day, and future growth may be significant, but I think that largely depends on the rate of suburbanization of the area. Considering most of the Wisła River delta may not be suitable for large-scale housing developments, it's doubtful whether S7 will reach its capacity in the forseeable future (next 30 years).

I myself was more surprised with the S6/S7 interchange. It's a trumpet with the loop in the wrong direction (the heaviest flow). It would have made more sense to mirror the trumpet, so that Gdynia > Elbląg and vice versa traffic can maintain the highest speed.
False.

A four lane motorway, has a maximum capacity of 40-50k vehicules per day (If traffic rides on both lanes). Anyway, they are a lot of trucks on this route (Three City-Warsaw-Krakow), so the capacity is even lower... Not talking about rush hour in Three City, which left hundreds of thousands vehicles at the same moment, and you get a real road block, surely also on the new road .

Have you ever been once in Gdansk?

The existing route that lead to the S6 is already fully blocked in rush hours.
The new S7 will work as an alternative route, so in a few years it will be completely saturated and they will need to enlarge it.
Urbain no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road