daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8661
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
A new argument why vignettes are better than toll booths!
Why? They could do the same if they mistakenly enter toll road without vignette.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #8662
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janek0 View Post
Why? They could do the same if they mistakenly enter toll road without vignette.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I understood that the speculation on the Polish language forum is that these people are driving on the wrong side to deliberately evade the toll booths. Someone wanting to drive on a motorway without paying for a vignette will have no incentive to drive on the wrong side.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8663
Janek0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood, but I understood that the speculation on the Polish language forum is that these people are driving on the wrong side to deliberately evade the toll booths.
I think it is possible only on sections with partial interchanges which does not occur in this case. I don't see possibility to take any section without toll by driving wrong side - you would only go back to the interchange where you could exit properly.

Only the upper apply to this section.

Old July 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #8664
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
I would rather say it`s an argument for tougher penalties for drivers. Their behavior can lead to disaster in land traffic.
The more important is to penalize every offender almost automatically. The level of penalty is less important.
If they risk their life to save, let say, 10-15zl they would never do it if they knew they would automatically get ticket, even if it was only 500zl.
You could argue that for some really rich people 500zl ticket is nothing, but if they had to pay it every day I can guarantee they would change behavior.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #8665
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

I think the better way is just to inform drivers about toll section of road BEFORE entering toll section.
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8666
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

They are informed. It was always clear to me which sections are tolled.

asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #8667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's clear as long as you know what Płatna (or Péage for that matter) means. Maybe a universal toll symbol would be an idea. The most used symbols currently in some countries are too similar to the customs symbol (white sign with red outline and black horizontal marking). I like the coin sign of Lithuania.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #8668
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
The more important is to penalize every offender almost automatically. The level of penalty is less important.
If they risk their life to save, let say, 10-15zl they would never do it if they knew they would automatically get ticket, even if it was only 500zl.

200€ is "only"*)? Such high penalties only piss off rather than discourage.

I like the German system due to the fact that for lowest misdemeanors one gets a small ticket, let's say 20€. It will be remembered, but it doesn't make one hate the system and "get a revenge" by ignoring the rules. Germans seem to have studied well the psychology of driving.

*) purchasing-power exchange reate.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8669
mr.cool

Likes (Received): 824

S14 Lodz Western Bypass now open (10km) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lknDM...layer_embedded
mr.cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #8670
Janek0

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
They are informed. It was always clear to me which sections are tolled.

Not always it's clear, because we have some free sections with such sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's clear as long as you know what Płatna (or Péage for that matter) means. Maybe a universal toll symbol would be an idea.
We also have this on borders:

Last edited by Janek0; July 16th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8671
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB View Post
200€ is "only"*)? Such high penalties only piss off rather than discourage.

I like the German system due to the fact that for lowest misdemeanors one gets a small ticket, let's say 20€. It will be remembered, but it doesn't make one hate the system and "get a revenge" by ignoring the rules. Germans seem to have studied well the psychology of driving.

*) purchasing-power exchange reate.
500PLN is only 120EUR.

20EUR it might be good for parking in the wrong place or sounding horn unnecessarily but not for dangerous road behaviour.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #8672
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janek0 View Post
We also have this on borders:

Can You describe this sign, it is difficult to understand for my fair-haired head...
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #8673
pawelo81

Likes (Received): 30

Every motorway and express way and route nr. 49 are toll roads for:
cars towing a trailer above 3.5 tons
trucks above 3.5 tons
buses
All of that is paid by via toll system.
And all motorways are toll roads for cars bikes trucks and buses.
Old July 16th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #8674
Janek0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelo81 View Post
Every motorway and express way and route nr. 49 are toll roads
Funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
Can You describe this sign, it is difficult to understand for my fair-haired head...
- toll for all vehicles (currently applies only to motorways)

- toll only for vehicles above 3,5 t and buses (applies to motorways, expressways and national roads)
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #8675
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Signs like that are useless due to the overload of information, and information is given when you don't need it. I bet virtually no motorist can remember the exact contents of the sign after one minute.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #8676
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Signs like that are useless due to the overload of information, and information is given when you don't need it. I bet virtually no motorist can remember the exact contents of the sign after one minute.
Exactly, it is total waste of metal or whatever material they are made of.
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #8677
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

People seen in the video posted were Polish, they most definitely understood what the sign said. And I bet they knew which sections was tolled, but simply missed the exit (happens often). The problem is that they preferred not to pay, but instead risk their and other drivers' life. That's stupid and irresponsible and I don't think any signs will change it. Only penalties + education. But that was already mentioned.

Developing a universal sign meaning "toll" would be great, but then again, if you travel to a foreign country where you drive on the motorways, a thinking person checks whichs sections are tolled and at least tries to get to know local road-sign system, because they do differ between countries and it's good to know how it works in the place you're going to.

But for people in the video it's useless. They don't care, no matter how clearly you tell them that the road is tolled. If they miss the exit, they'll turn around and go back. That's what idiots do. Only unavoidable fines would teach them, imho.
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8678
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
But for people in the video it's useless. They don't care, no matter how clearly you tell them that the road is tolled. If they miss the exit, they'll turn around and go back.
Thanks for this explanation. I finally understand the speculation about why these idiots are driving the wrong way.

Quote:
That's what idiots do. Only unavoidable fines would teach them, imho.
Switching to vignettes would solve this particular problem, but there would still be idiots driving.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #8679
woyteck

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
You could argue that for some really rich people 500zl ticket is nothing, but if they had to pay it every day I can guarantee they would change behavior.
For this you need number plate recognition cameras and national registration plat database, like the one in the UK. Ticket sent to registered keeper's address automatically.
woyteck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8680
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woyteck View Post
For this you need number plate recognition cameras and national registration plat database, like the one in the UK. Ticket sent to registered keeper's address automatically.
I know, and it seems like obvious solution.
But not in Poland, I'm not even sure if they finished primary database of cars and drivers. There were dozen of separate tenders, cancelled orders, delays etc.
Huge amounts of money were already spent.
Does anyone knows if the famous CEPiK is already operational?

Last edited by geogregor; July 18th, 2012 at 01:57 AM.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road