daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #8761
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Netherlands has a 48 dB default value for road noise (50 dBA) but there are exemptions possible to avoid high cost (such as noise barriers). The higher limit depends on the situation (urban limits can be higher than rural limits), 53 - 63 dB. Add 2 dB to it to get dB(A) values. Virtually all road projects use these exemptions, but they need to insulate houses. And the limits only apply to buildings with 24/7 habitation. So no offices, industrial estates, hotels, campsites, etc.
Actually I might be wrong, our law talks about unadjusted dB, not dBA. Obviously it depends on the situation too - 55/50 I quoted is for areas with detached houses, overall for urban areas it varies from 50/45 (around hospitals etc.) to 65/55 in strict city centers. Unfortunately there is no good mechanism for exemptions from those rules, which is why we're getting more and more ridiculous cases of noise barriers that make no sense...

Oh, well.

Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8762
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
S8 Piotrków - Mszczonów won`t be open before october at all.
I drove S8 Piotrków - Mszczonów yesterday (as part of Bratislava -> Warsaw) and didn't enjoy that part very much. When I return after a few weeks, I'm thinking of driving A2 -> DK14 -> DK1 instead. Would that be a mistake?
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #8763
and802

Likes (Received): 55

definately the better idea. I did it a month ago. was smooth and easy. try to avoid rush hours in Łódz. if you can manage it you will enjoy your way back
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #8764
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by and802 View Post
definately the better idea. I did it a month ago. was smooth and easy. try to avoid rush hours in Łódz. if you can manage it you will enjoy your way back
Thanks. At about what time does the morning rush hour traffic in Łódź dissipate? I imagine getting out of Warsaw in the morning will not be such a big problem as most of the traffic is probably inbound.
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8765
and802

rush hours ? don't know. I had no issues at 6.30 am in Lodz. the traffic was so passable that 3 hours later I was entering Ceska Republika at Chalupki
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #8766
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Cool video i found...

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #8767
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Likes (Received): 4736

It's only national road 16 (DK16) but in GP class.
Sasza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #8768
woyteck

Likes (Received): 1

I live 10 meters from a road where cars go 50km/h. It's quite a busy road and I can tell you it IS annoying. And not just regular passenger cars. The worst noise is made by motorbikes, especially mopeds also TIRs are noisy. I can't have my windows open when my baby daughter is asleep because it wakes her up.

Please remember that on polish motorways, the speed limit is 140km/h and cars are loud when driving at such speed. You can hear such traffic from 500m or more. So anyone living near such road without barriers will go crazy.

They could make an improvement to those barriers thou. Create barriers from sand/soil and then plant bushes/trees on them. It would really improve the looks.
woyteck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #8769
mcarling

Today I drove from Warsaw to Bialystok. I was surprised to see construction workers actively working on a Sunday toward completion of the Zambrow bypass and the Jeżewo to Bialystok section. Both appear to be within about a month or so of completion.
Old August 13th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #8770
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

A4/S19 bypass of Rzeszow looks almost ready. Photos by kuki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuki View Post
Tak na potwierdzenie tego, że ten fragment autostrady A4 i S19 jest już gotowy, kilka zdjęć. Trwają jeszcze tylko jakieś drobne prace, głównie przy nasadzeniach itp.

Zastanawia mnie dlaczego nie ma tutaj oznaczenia na port lotniczy Rzeszów Jasionka? Co ciekawe na Rzeszów Wschodni też nie ma. Jest dopiero na węźle Jasionka.

Tutaj będzie chyba stała budka z telefonem SOS

Widać, że są już wyższe nasypy na sąsiednim kontrakcie

Tutaj dość dobrze zagrodzony dalszy odcinek w kierunku Rzeszowa

S19 też już w całości wykończona

Do Rzeszowa jest stamtąd aż 18 km?? To chyba, że do samego do centrum miasta, ale i tak coś dużo się wydaje.

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #8771
Rombi

Likes (Received): 305

noise barriers...
Bo właśnie w podróży, rano, w obcym mieście, zanim druga kawa zacznie działać, doświadcza się najmocniej dziwności własnego, pozornie banalnego bytu. Podróż jest po prostu stosunkowo zdrowym rodzajem narkotyku.
Andrzej Stasiuk
Rombi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #8772
mr.cool

Likes (Received): 824

Hi, what would you suggest is the best route from Warsaw Modlin airport to get onto to the S17 towards Lublin? I am travelling this Friday evening through there so want to try and avoid as much traffic and stress as I can.
mr.cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #8773
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cool View Post
Hi, what would you suggest is the best route from Warsaw Modlin airport to get onto to the S17 towards Lublin? I am travelling this Friday evening through there so want to try and avoid as much traffic and stress as I can.
[Deleted because I mistakenly assumed the OP meant Chopin Airport.]

Last edited by mcarling; August 15th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #8774
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Modlin Airport is a new airport north of the city near Nowy Dwór Mazowiecki and DK7/S7.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #8775
kamilost

Likes (Received): 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cool View Post
I would recommend this route: http://goo.gl/maps/LMEUt, as the Wisłostrada tunnel is closed until further notice.

Last edited by kamilost; August 15th, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
kamilost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #8776
Oracle1207

Likes (Received): 0

I'm rather surprised that no one so far has commented on the new situation with the A4 Tarnow-Debica Section. For about a week now the Siskom map has been showing it as having reverted to blue with no opening date anymore. The Polish language A4 forum is buzzing with information. Although I don't understand it very well I did get the gist that the contract has been terminated. Can anyone explain what has happened and what the new opening date might be? I should say that I saw photos of that section only recently and I was rather shocked that so much work still remained to be completed - especially as it was originally supposed to have opened for Euro 2012 in June. Many of the other sections (with the obvious exception of the Rzeszow bypass) are in a similar condition and I suspect will also miss the currently expected opening dates.
Oracle1207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:59 AM   #8777
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle1207 View Post
I'm rather surprised that no one so far has commented on the new situation with the A4 Tarnow-Debica Section. For about a week now the Siskom map has been showing it as having reverted to blue with no opening date anymore. The Polish language A4 forum is buzzing with information. Although I don't understand it very well I did get the gist that the contract has been terminated. Can anyone explain what has happened and what the new opening date might be? I should say that I saw photos of that section only recently and I was rather shocked that so much work still remained to be completed - especially as it was originally supposed to have opened for Euro 2012 in June. Many of the other sections (with the obvious exception of the Rzeszow bypass) are in a similar condition and I suspect will also miss the currently expected opening dates.
The whole A4 east of Krakow is so damn unlucky. Probably one of the worst managed projects in Poland if not in Europe. Huge delays, bankruptcies of contractors, changes of contractors, no clear timeline, conflicts between contractors and investor, etc.
In one word?
A mess.
As you correctly posted the whole A4 should be finished before Euro 2012. We'll be lucky if they manage to finish it before the end of next year.
I'm particularly pissed off as next month I have to drive from Silesia to small place south-east of Rzeszow for a wedding. If motorway was open it would be nice, stress-free journey. For now it is one long chain of villiges with speed limits and few options for overtaking thousands of trucks using this route

On the particular stretch you are asking about they have to choose new contractor. So first they have to catalogue what was done and what still has to be done, then run the whole new tendering process and then finish construction.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I think it's still something to construct over 200 kilometers of motorway simultaneously and finish them all within 3 - 4 years. Europe hasn't seen that in many years.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8779
and802

Chris is right. these projects are quite complex if not very complicated. so difficult/impossible to have everything on time.

in my opinion the main problem is not with the managment (GDDKIA), it sits in Public Tender Regulations. the cheapest offer wins. the cheapest does not need to mean "doable". as long as regulations do not change we will be witnessses of that kind of delays.

anyway as long as we are supported with EU money I am happy. I have been waiting for motorways 20 years I can stand 1 year delay. as I do running projects for my living I can only say: delays are not exceptions.
on the other hand the public tender regulations prevent from corruption, something other later-EU joined countries cannot fully manage.
Old August 16th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #8780
Oracle1207

Likes (Received): 0

Actually Chris it was not 3-4 years. By the time they started they were allowing barely 2 years for the work and there was no contingency. That was over optimistic and everyone was saying it would not be finished.

But such motorways have been built in Europe until quite recently. The difference is the tendering is normally done in larger sections and with much, much more scrutiny of the companies tendering for the work. It is not rocket science to build a motorway but does require certain experience and preparation - both of which seem to have been missing with some of these companies that were accepted for the work.

I agree with Geogregor completely about the current road. In Summer months it is almost unusable. I used to live in Lancut and was frequently driving to the UK or to Ukraine and I ended up taking every alternative road I could find. I even gave up using the Korczowa border crossing and used Hrebenne. I understand from the Polish Border Guard website that waiting times at Korczowa have now improved drammatically so there seem to have been improvements there.
Oracle1207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road