daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #10041
bad_boy

Likes (Received): 2360

Tomorrow they will open the first part of S79 expressway in Warsaw (connector between S2 and the (very incomplete) city ring via airport). The part which is going to be opened is about 2 kilometers between the Fryderyk Chopin Airport and the city ring.

It looks like this (credit to kebe):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebe View Post
S79 Węzeł MPL Okęcie z niedzieli 9.06.2013
This could be indication that GDDKiA decided that S2 will be opened in pieces (i.e. A2 - Krakowska intersection will open first). There were some rumors recently that they want to wait with openings for completion of the whole currently U/C part of S2 and S79. In particular that the part to be opened tomorrow has been ready for quite some time.

snowdog, Deo, Surel liked this post

Last edited by bad_boy; June 14th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
bad_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #10042
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemiec w Polsce View Post
1. Why do trucks have to leave the A2 at Żyradów and are not allowed to drive to Warsaw? I mean the highway is more or less finished. It seems for me really not understandable why to put the heavy traffic on the small local roads while there is a 99% functional highway going to the city.
Trucks are banned from entering Warsaw unless they have a special permit (i.e. they are carrying supplies for businesses in the city). This rule is in place to prevent transit traffic from clogging up city streets - heavy transit has to use ring road (DK50/62) to bypass Warsaw.
Quote:
2. What is happening on the A1 section between Stryków and Tuszyn? I read in the Polish forums that they also have some trouble there.
Main contractor (Polimex-Mostostal) is in heavy financial trouble, they managed to strike a deal with their creditors a few months back, but now it seems like they are unable to stay afloat. Situation is critical and it's no consolation that they are not the only European construction company in trouble...
Quote:
3. And what the heck is going on with the A1 section between Torun and Kowal? This seems to be a never-ending story. As I could understand the Italian company is not willing to pay the Polish subsidiary companies. And because they do not receive any money, almost no work is performed so far. Have I understood this well?
Same old story once again - they undervalued the project and are now having trouble finding subcontractors to work for the price offered. We'll see how it goes.
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #10043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

S6 Nowogard

S6 is a nice little bypass of Nowogard.

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

S6 Nowogard-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #10044
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Tomorrow they will open the first part of S79 expressway in Warsaw (connector between S2 and the (very incomplete) city ring via airport). The part which is going to be opened is about 2 kilometers between the Fryderyk Chopin Airport and the city ring.

What do you mean city ring? - is that between the airport and the Marynarska interchange i.e. an inner ring road? or between the airport and the S2 bypass?

I am confused
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #10045
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12627

Expressway S8 in Poland

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #10046
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #10047
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #10048
bad_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
What do you mean city ring? - is that between the airport and the Marynarska interchange i.e. an inner ring road? or between the airport and the S2 bypass?

I am confused
There is a city ring being the second beltway in Warsw (between downtown ring which is the innermost one and S2,8,17 expressway ring which is the third one connecting remote city districts and suburbs and to some extent used for transit (excluding trucks).

City ring:

source: http://www.siskom.waw.pl/obwodnica-miejska.htm

Downtown ring:

source: http://www.siskom.waw.pl/obwodnica-sr.htm

Both downtown ring and city ring are very incomplete and have grossly inadequate capacity on most of their parts. There are only several complete grade separate stretches with urban expresway-type intersections. It will cost fortune and probably decades to complete that.

There are two more rings around Warsaw:

- DK 50/61 which is also inadequate capacity ring for transit (trucks prohibited from entering the city use it). Maybe around 2030 it will be A50/61, but that is science-fiction now;

source: http://www.siskom.waw.pl/obwodnica-tir.htm

- Small Warsaw beltway, being DW road connecting suburbs around Warsaw. This one has chances to be improved on some streches to a decent road with adequate capacity, but terrible NIMBY issues there.

source: http://www.siskom.waw.pl/obwodnica-mala.htm

Completing S2/8/17 expressway ring by 2020 (positive prognosis) will not solve all traffic issues for the capital city. For the last decades almost nothing was done and it is not so easy to make it up now, but the progress is seen every year.

Billly liked this post

Last edited by bad_boy; June 13th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #10049
Chris80678

There is a city ring being the second beltway in Warsaw (between downtown ring which is the innermost one)

Thanks for clearing that up. The S79 is somewhat useless as a route though until it's interchange with the S2 and the whole
S2 up to the A2 is ready and complete. It may be a long wait to see the whole S2 between the A2 and at least the S79 to be open. Although it is promising to hear news of the S2 possibly being open soon between the A2 and the Aleje Krakowska interchange, although I fear it will cause even more severe congestion in Warsaw as drivers have to drive through the suburbs to reach the S2 and then the A2. But good on GDDKIA for opening the S79 between the airport and the second beltway tomorrow

Last edited by Chris80678; June 13th, 2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #10050
bad_boy

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. The S79 is somewhat useless as a route though until it's interchange with the S2 and the whole S2up to the A2 is ready and complete. It may be a long wait to see the whole S2 between the A2 and at least the S79 to be open. Although it is promising to hear news of the S2 possibly being open soon between the A2 and the Aleje Krakowska interchange, although I fear it will cause even more severe congestion in Warsaw as drivers have to drive through the suburbs to reach the S2 and then the A2
Yes, the stretch open tomorrow will be pretty useless (especially that southern relation from the city ring going from the East will not be operable yet).

But the section of S2 from A2 to Aleja Krakowska will improve the situation much. Every new high capcity road increases free traffic flow globally. I am confident that the worries about doomsday on Krakowska interchange are grossly exaggerated. It will be much better in the Western Warsaw after it is open.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #10051
Chris80678

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_boy View Post
Yes, the stretch open tomorrow will be pretty useless (especially that southern relation from the city ring goint from the East will not be operable yet).

Well that's pointless - does that mean that drivers will not be able to come off the S79 onto the ring road or off the ring road onto the S79 as far as the airport?

But the section of S2 from A2 to Aleja Krakowska will improve much. Every new hight capcity road increases traffic flow globally. I am confident that the worries about doomsday on Krakowska interchange are grossly exagerrated. It will be much better in the Western Warsaw after it is open.
When can we expect the S2 from A2 to Aleja Krakowska to open? Has a date been given by GDDKIA?
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #10052
bad_boy

Quote:
When can we expect the S2 from A2 to Aleja Krakowska to open? Has a date been given by GDDKIA?
There were many dates announced until now ...gone to past one after another

But I believe in late summer/early autumn this year. Cheers to that
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #10053
Chris80678

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_boy View Post
There were many dates announced until now ...gone to past one after another

But I believe in late summer/early autumn this year. Cheers to that
Early autumn is more realistic I think given the current state of the road on you tube videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYQDFerlIJc
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #10054
Chris80678

Well that's pointless - does that mean that drivers will not be able to come off the S79 onto the ring road or off the ring road onto the S79 as far as the airport? Last I heard the "Marynarska" interchange (where the S79 meets Warsaw's second inner ring road) was not quite complete
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #10055
Niemiec w Polsce

Likes (Received): 12

Dzięki, toonczyk.

I guess they will move the transit traffic on the highway once the highway ring around Warsaw is completed. At least it would make sense.

It's really a pity with the struggeling construction companies on the A1. Ok, the one for Stryków - Tuszyn has be chosen quiet a while ago. But for the Italian one I can't understand why the only criteria for choosing a company is the bidding price. It's really a shame that the Strabag consortium had only a slight higher bid but would have been much more reliable than this unknown and unexperienced Italian company. They should in the future also evaluate the quality of a company and their offer and not only the price.
Niemiec w Polsce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #10056
Niemiec w Polsce

Wow, it's amazing how they progress on the S8. It really seems one of the few projects together with the S3 which is running according to timplan. I really wish they will finish the S8 between Łódź and Wrocław on time because this is one of the most horrible and time consuming stretches in Poland.
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
I can't understand why the only criteria for choosing a company is the bidding price.
Bidding price is not the only criteria, but it weighs pretty heavy. Recently GDDKiA rejected a tender by Astaldi because its bidding price was absurdly low.

From what I've read, there is massive underbidding in Poland and Europe, which brings many construction companies to the brink of bankruptcy. They usually demand more money during the works because they can't find any sub contractors who want to build for such low prices.

Quote:
this unknown and unexperienced Italian company.
You mean Astaldi? They have over 80 years of experience in both Italy and abroad. But they do appear to be in some kind of trouble, I understand the second line of the Warszawa subway is significantly delayed. On the other hand they appear to have done a good job with the Basarab bridge in Bucharest. However the Bolu Tunnel project in Turkey (3 km) took them 14 years to construct, though I don't know whether Astaldi is to blame for that.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10058
Niemiec w Polsce

These other criterias must be really weak weighted since as I remember well the second offer was only a little bit higher.

No, I mean Salini. They are not really experienced in road construction. So far their only road projects were two in Italy and a few in Africa. While in Africa the conditions are completely different. As far as I know they are more experienced in water way constructions.

Last edited by Niemiec w Polsce; June 14th, 2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #10059
Niemiec w Polsce

I have another question. Officialy they already started building the S8 stretch between Opacz and Jank małe. But so far I haven't read or heard something about this. Neither have I seen any pictures. Have they already started building?
Old June 14th, 2013, 11:47 AM   #10060
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

Impreglio/Salini ****ed up in Romania too, at a viaduct, am not an expert, but there is much debate on the RO forum about this...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road