daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #10241
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

If one is only interested in the roads, without need for directions or places of interest, then OpenStreetMap is by far the best -- with the added bonus of showing roads under construction. If anyone knows how to get turn-by-turn directions out of OpenStreetMap, I would love to know.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #10242
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

OpenStreetMap is accurate but on the downside is hard to read. In standard mode motorways, expressways and regular roads are distinguished just by use of different colors while thickness of lines is the same. It makes map flat and doesn't show importance of motorways/expressways over regular roads.Also using green color for expressways makes them almost invisible.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #10243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

OSM is very up to date but its accuracy is quite poor outside Europe and North America. I also agree about the coloring, it's just too much. I also could do with some less details, parts of OSM are overly detailed and not consistent everywhere.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #10244
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

On OSM the motorways are clear enough but when expressways pass through or near forests they are invisible until you zoom right in because both expressways and forest are green
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #10245
rakcancer

del
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #10246
rakcancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
OSM is very up to date but its accuracy is quite poor outside Europe and North America. I also agree about the coloring, it's just too much. I also could do with some less details, parts of OSM are overly detailed and not consistent everywhere.
....and that forestation too much....
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #10247
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
....and that forestation too much....
I agree. Expressways under construction shown as just dashes not brilliant either
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #10248
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
OSM is very up to date but its accuracy is quite poor outside Europe and North America.
Plus Israel, Singapore, and probably a few others. I haven't checked Hong Kong, but I would guess it's probably good too.
Old July 14th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #10249
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
If anyone knows how to get turn-by-turn directions out of OpenStreetMap, I would love to know.
Online: http://map.project-osrm.org/
PC/mobile offline navigation: http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #10250
mcarling

Bratislava - Warsaw tomorrow

I will be driving from Bratislava to Warsaw tomorrow. My tentative plan is Bratislava - Zilina - Cieszyn (938) Zory (A1) Pyrzowice (DK1/S8) Warsaw. Any suggestions or warnings?
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #10251
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
... Any suggestions or warnings?
From first-hand personal experience, I would recommend using the D2/D1 on the SK/CZ side, going through Brno, Olomouc and Ostrava, if you don't mind paying for the Czech vignette. Then head for Gliwice on the A1 on the Polish side. In my opinion, the driving experience is much better going this way and since you intend to drive approximately 700 km you need as much of a stress-free journey as you can get.

Going this way is a little quicker in time (not in km) because you avoid congestion spots such as Bielsko-Biała and the whole Tychy-Dąbrowa Górnicza stretch, which can be unpredictable.

Having said that, going via Zilina, Cieszyn, Bielsko-Biała etc is still a pretty good choice, just subject to the ups and downs of the rush-hour crunch that we seem to get these days.

Any advice for you? Just one - enjoy the trip!

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #10252
mcarling

Thanks MAG.

I don't mind paying for a CZ vignette (although I'm annoyed to have to stop to buy one). I've tried the CZ D2/D1 route several times and find it stressful. The road quality does not suffice for the traffic speeds for much of the trip.

Perhaps I was not clear about my proposed route. I was not planning to go through Bielsko-Biała or near the Tychy-Dąbrowa Górnicza stretch. My tentative plan is to exit the S1 immediately after Cieszyn and take route 938 north to route 81 north to Zory, then route 935 northwest to get on the A1.
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #10253
bad_boy

Likes (Received): 2360

I am driving on Warsaw - Bratislava route at least once a month for years. Tried every route and I can confirm that going via Brno and Ostrava is the way to go for the time being. Longer but faster. You can try going via Žilina at nite but still... Also depends how fast you drive (200+, 160 or 130 km/h?). The faster you drive the better it is to go via Brno and Ostrava.

If you go from Žilina via Cieszyn to DK81 then still you lose a lot of time between Žilina and Českż Těšķn especially during the day.

I will go back on the route via Žilina once they open S69 from Bielsko Biała to Żywiec (at least to test it ). And when they finish D3 from Skalité to Svrčinovec on the Slovak side, then this route will be competitive.
bad_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #10254
mcarling

Thanks bad_boy.

The last time I tried the D2/D1 route was before the opening of the D1/A1 cross-border section. I'll take the advice of MAG and bad_boy and try this route again.

I'll be curious to see the progress on the S8 near Mszczonow since I last drove it at the end of March.
Old July 16th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #10255
bad_boy

Likes (Received): 2360

Regarding the bordermost section of A1, with the current bypass of Mszana bridge it is comfortable, no trucks allowed there and you won't notice how fast it goes. The much longer bypass with the use of DK78 that existed sill one year ago made the question of taking this route relevant, but now there's no such question anymore.

The last strech of S8 U/C near Mszczonów does not create much problems in terms "whether should I take DK50 to A2 from Mszczonów to Wiskitki intersection". I would say it's 50/50 in terms which route to take. Much more depends on to which part of Warsaw you go and at what part of the day/nite and the real focus is on the ease of entrance to the city. Last time I was going from Bratislava at nite I took DK50 purely out of curiosity to see how much truck traffic there is at nite. It was really impressive to see such heavy truck traffic in the middle of the night (the proportion of truck/passanger traffic was about90/10), but the drive was smooth. Also, no speed traps if you take DK50/A2.
bad_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #10256
mcarling

I left central Bratislava a few minutes after 12:00 and made it to central Warsaw a few minutes after 18:00, with just one stop for fuel and vignettes in Bratislava. The D2/D1/I46 were reduced to one lane in four places between the Slovak/Moravian border and Olomouc. Getting through Czestochowa was slow and unpleasant, as always. Otherwise not too bad.

I cannot see any reason why they don't allow one lane of <3.5t traffic in each direction on the Mszana bridge. It doesn't seem like it would significantly impede the works and the bridge is obviously strong enough to support such a small fraction of the design load.

I also hope that the A1 from (including) the bypass of Czestochowa to the A1/S1 interchange at Pyrzowice will be tendered soon. That section of A1 would cut 30-60 minutes off the trip.

Thanks again to MAG and bad_boy.
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #10257
kmieciu
-_-_-_-_-_-

Likes (Received): 1870

S3 interchange "Sulechów" - A2 interchange "Jordanowo"

S3 interchange "Jordanowo" - S3 interchange "Międzyrzecz South" and back. Opening in August map: http://her.is/NNR92

kmieciu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #10258
mcarling

I drove today from Warsaw to Vilnius. Getting through Marki was not too bad, going against the commute traffic. Wyszkow to Ostrow Mazowiecka was worse than I can remember. The really pleasant surprise was the S61 bypass of Stawiski, which has progressed dramatically since I last saw it at the end of March. I think it is plausible that it could open by the end of 2013. On the other hand, the S61 bypass of Szczuczyn seems not to have progressed at all. Augustow was terribly congested.

What is impeding environmental approval for the remaining parts of the S61, especially at the Lomza end?

bleetz liked this post
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #10259
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I'm going to be in Poland next week for 3 weeks and have been thinking about renting a car during the trip. So far StayPoland.com seems to have the best prices 25 Euro/day for a small car but I was wondering if you guys knew any other sites. Another question is are there any apps or a site I can use so I know where speed cameras are? I use the Waze navigation app over here in the US shows police speed traps and cameras. Thats pretty much my biggest concern driving in Poland. Last year I drove very little over there just to the airport and a few times around town, otherwise my relatives drove. Any info appreciated!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #10260
Sasza
Człoooowieku

Likes (Received): 4736

Yeah, there is an app - respect the speed limits
Sasza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road