daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #10261
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Another question is are there any apps or a site I can use so I know where speed cameras are? I use the Waze navigation app over here in the US shows police speed traps and cameras. Thats pretty much my biggest concern driving in Poland. Last year I drove very little over there just to the airport and a few times around town, otherwise my relatives drove. Any info appreciated!
Speed traps are rare in Poland. Especially if you are used to driving in the States, you won't likely have any trouble with the road police in Poland.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #10262
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Speed traps are rare in Poland. Especially if you are used to driving in the States, you won't likely have any trouble with the road police in Poland.
Speed traps are more common in the US but in the US there are few places with speed cameras which is what I am more worried about. Driving in the US is a little different, speed limits aren't observed as strictly overall.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #10263
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

The speed cameras in Poland are all preceded by warning signs, so everyone slows for the camera and then returns to a safe speed (or occasionally to an unsafe speed).
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #10264
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

No offence, but Poland very well has its share of lunatics on the roads. So give yourself enough time to react, especially on single carriage roads. Respecting the speed limits and thus ignoring all speed traps would be a good idea to begin with.

I've driven hundreds of thousands of km in the Northern Europe, thousands of km in the Baltics and Germany, and only twice through Poland - and surely my top-5 memories of idiot overtakers (coming towards me) are all from there.

Sorry.

Janek0 liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:43 AM   #10265
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The speed cameras in Poland are all preceded by warning signs, so everyone slows for the camera and then returns to a safe speed (or occasionally to an unsafe speed).
That is true, thats basically how to avoid it but I did see in a few places they let trees cover the signs, etc. Basically I will just have to pay a lot of attention like I did last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
No offence, but Poland very well has its share of lunatics on the roads. So give yourself enough time to react, especially on single carriage roads. Respecting the speed limits and thus ignoring all speed traps would be a good idea to begin with.

I've driven hundreds of thousands of km in the Northern Europe, thousands of km in the Baltics and Germany, and only twice through Poland - and surely my top-5 memories of idiot overtakers (coming towards me) are all from there.

Sorry.
You are right, I experienced those drivers on the country roads, "wariaty" is the Polish word for them if you are being nice. I'd rather drive the speed limit than pay a fine any day. Honestly the only thing about Polish drivers were they were more aggressive, just requires you to pay attention to overtaking cars. I found it kind of funny since in the US when you are on those kind of roads people are generally afraid to overtake, there they just go for it.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #10266
DEC76

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I'm going to be in Poland next week for 3 weeks and have been thinking about renting a car during the trip. So far StayPoland.com seems to have the best prices 25 Euro/day for a small car but I was wondering if you guys knew any other sites. Another question is are there any apps or a site I can use so I know where speed cameras are? I use the Waze navigation app over here in the US shows police speed traps and cameras. Thats pretty much my biggest concern driving in Poland. Last year I drove very little over there just to the airport and a few times around town, otherwise my relatives drove. Any info appreciated!
We have just returned from Polska for 5 weeks and we hired from Express car hire. www.en.express.pl The prices are great and the cars are all but brand new. I hired a Nissan QASHQAI 1.5 DCI 115KM and it averaged 5l/100km for the 5000km we drove. Just can say enough good things about them. They have a kiosk in WAW airport and service just about all the others too.

Heath

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
DEC76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10267
TheFlyPL

http://antyradary.phi.pl/mapa_fotoradarow/

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
TheFlyPL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #10268
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

hi all, could someone advise what is the best way to get from Warsaw airport (Chopin) to Torun. We are renting a car at the airport. I know from Torun the A1 is available all the way to Gdansk.

BTW thank DEC76 for recommendation on rental agency. I got a very good deal through them on a rental car and cancelled the one I had. Cheers

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #10269
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
hi all, could someone advise what is the best way to get from Warsaw airport (Chopin) to Torun. We are renting a car at the airport. I know from Torun the A1 is available all the way to Gdansk.

BTW thank DEC76 for recommendation on rental agency. I got a very good deal through them on a rental car and cancelled the one I had. Cheers
From Chopin airport take S79 northwards to the interchange with DK7 (E77). Take DK8 (E67) towards Warsaw city centre to link with DK92.
Take DK92 (it will be signposted for Poznań and Łódż) to go past Sochaczew and Łowicz. Follow DK92 as far as the interchange with the A1 motorway near Kutno. Take the A1 motorway and follow it to it's current terminus at Kowal. Once off the A1 motorway at Kowal take DK1 (E75) northwards towards to Toruń. You will go through Włocławek before you get to Toruń

I am not certain if the interchange between DK92 and the A1 motorway near Kutno is open to traffic (if anybody knows if it is than let us know)
but if it isn't I'm afraid you will have to plough through the massive traffic disruption in central Warsaw which going on right now because of road construction/preparations. Take this alternative route should the A1/DK92 interchange near Kutno not be open to traffic:

From Chopin airport take S79 northwards to the interchange with DK7 (E77), follow DK8 (E67) into Warsaw city centre. Follow DK8 (E67) all the way up until you almost reach the Vistula river. I'm afraid the DK8 (E67) between Powązkowska interchange and Grota Roweckiego bridge over the Vistula river is where the major traffic queues and disruption will be. Just before you get to the Grota Roweckiego bridge over the Vistula river turn off
DK8 (E67) and onto DK7 (E77) (it will be signposted for Gdańsk). Simply follow DK7 (E77) northwards all the way up to Plońsk.
At Plońsk take DK10 westwards towards Toruń

Last edited by Chris80678; July 20th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #10270
DEC76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
From Chopin airport take S79 northwards to the interchange with DK7 (E77). Take DK8 (E67) towards Warsaw city centre to link with DK92.
Take DK92 (it will be signposted for Poznań and Łódż) to go past Sochaczew and Łowicz. Follow DK92 as far as the interchange with the A1 motorway near Kutno. Take the A1 motorway and follow it to it's current terminus at Kowal. Once off the A1 motorway at Kowal take DK1 (E75) northwards towards to Toruń. You will go through Włocławek before you get to Toruń

I am not certain if the interchange between DK92 and the A1 motorway near Kutno is open to traffic (if anybody knows if it is than let us know)
but if it isn't I'm afraid you will have to plough through the massive traffic disruption in central Warsaw which going on right now because of road construction/preparations. Take this alternative route should the A1/DK92 interchange near Kutno not be open to traffic:

From Chopin airport take S79 northwards to the interchange with DK7 (E77), follow DK8 (E67) into Warsaw city centre. Follow DK8 (E67) all the way up until you almost reach the Vistula river. I'm afraid the DK8 (E67) between Powązkowska interchange and Grota Roweckiego bridge over the Vistula river is where the major traffic queues and disruption will be. Just before you get to the Grota Roweckiego bridge over the Vistula river turn off
DK8 (E67) and onto DK7 (E77) (it will be signposted for Gdańsk). Simply follow DK7 (E77) northwards all the way up to Plońsk.
At Plońsk take DK10 westwards towards Toruń

I would take second option via Plonsk. I did this a couple of times in the last two months and it was always quicker with my Tom Tom telling of long delays on the A1 diversion between Kowal and Tourn via Wloclawek. Last week we returned home form Tczew to the WAW airport in 3hr 30 mins via this route.

Heath
DEC76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #10271
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

S2/79 by bacique

geometarkv liked this post
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #10272
Chris80678

Wow such a large interchange for only a national road. Mind you, until the S2 is extended eastwards through Ursynów and onwards to the A2 it will be a busy interchange. Are we still on target to see the S2 from Konotopa to Aleja Krakowska open at the end of July sometime?
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10273
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17502

It is two expressways interchange S2 and S79. The S79 should be very busy.
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #10274
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2303

It looks neat, but those walls scare me.

loloo, Rombi, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #10275
william.pitt72

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
It looks neat, but those walls scare me.
If it's really necessary/required to put up high walls, I think such road sections should be made more user-friendly by growing some plants on or in front of the walls...

Rombi liked this post
william.pitt72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #10276
seba65536

Likes (Received): 3315

Quote:
You are right, I experienced those drivers on the country roads, [...] I found it kind of funny since in the US when you are on those kind of roads people are generally afraid to overtake, there they just go for it.
It's becaue even 10 years ago like 99% of roads were of country road standard or worse. People got used to speeding on these, because no better roads were available. It takes time to change habits.
seba65536 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #10277
I-275westcoastfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by seba65536 View Post
It's becaue even 10 years ago like 99% of roads were of country road standard or worse. People got used to speeding on these, because no better roads were available. It takes time to change habits.
Haha I remember, even scarier was being in a Fiat 126p when those people overtook in a risky way. It's a matter of infrastructure since I see the same problem in the US and its probably the same elsewhere. Hopefully there are some more 2x2 or larger highways in Poland's future so people can travel fast and safely.
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:55 PM   #10278
Chris80678

Are we still on target to see the S2 from Konotopa to Aleja Krakowska open at the end of July sometime?
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:16 PM   #10279
toonczyk
autostradożerca

It's basically ready for opening (2 lanes in each direction), so hopefully yes.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:24 AM   #10280
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Why construction of motorways is more expensive in Poland than in Germany? - Article from GW. Some thesis are disputable but in general interesting to read if google translates it correctly:
http://http://wyborcza.biz/biznes/1,100897,14314158,Dlaczego_w_Polsce_autostrady_buduje_sie_drozej_niz.html#BoxBizTxt

Last edited by rakcancer; July 22nd, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road