daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2013, 12:39 AM   #10521
MajKeR_
”La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
4. Signage at Bytom junction

It's worth notice that Bytom junction is one of a few places where signing Katowice via A1 really makes sense: you can drive via motorway to Piekary Śląskie interchange, where you turn DW911, which becomes DK79 in few kilometers. But signs tell to go there taking other direction - via Gliwice... Because, what's strange, stupid and bad at every case, A1's signage uses A4 as route carrying directly to Katowice. It makes no sense, because there are many shorter roads between A1 and Katowice - eg. S1/DK86 or DW911/DK79 - and such signage makes sense only in Zabrze and Gliwice, where A4 is really the fastest option to go to Katowice.

But somebody decided in the past that motorways should ' carry on ' to capitals of voivodeships... And instead of Gliwice we have Katowice at signage.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2013, 04:03 PM   #10522
mr.cool

Likes (Received): 824

Any chance the S2/S79 will be open this week?
mr.cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:44 PM   #10523
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18771

Huge chance
Except for the section between S79 and "regular" 79 (Puławska street) - this will open later.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #10524
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Several weeks ago I asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I will be driving from Bratislava to Warsaw tomorrow. My tentative plan is Bratislava - Zilina - Cieszyn (938) Zory (A1) Pyrzowice (DK1/S8) Warsaw. Any suggestions or warnings?
... and received two helpful answers, from MAG and bad_boy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
From first-hand personal experience, I would recommend using the D2/D1 on the SK/CZ side, going through Brno, Olomouc and Ostrava, if you don't mind paying for the Czech vignette. Then head for Gliwice on the A1 on the Polish side. In my opinion, the driving experience is much better going this way and since you intend to drive approximately 700 km you need as much of a stress-free journey as you can get.

Going this way is a little quicker in time (not in km) because you avoid congestion spots such as Bielsko-Biała and the whole Tychy-Dąbrowa Górnicza stretch, which can be unpredictable.

Having said that, going via Zilina, Cieszyn, Bielsko-Biała etc is still a pretty good choice, just subject to the ups and downs of the rush-hour crunch that we seem to get these days.

Any advice for you? Just one - enjoy the trip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_boy View Post
I am driving on Warsaw - Bratislava route at least once a month for years. Tried every route and I can confirm that going via Brno and Ostrava is the way to go for the time being. Longer but faster. You can try going via Žilina at nite but still... Also depends how fast you drive (200+, 160 or 130 km/h?). The faster you drive the better it is to go via Brno and Ostrava.

If you go from Žilina via Cieszyn to DK81 then still you lose a lot of time between Žilina and Českż Těšķn especially during the day.

I will go back on the route via Žilina once they open S69 from Bielsko Biała to Żywiec (at least to test it ). And when they finish D3 from Skalité to Svrčinovec on the Slovak side, then this route will be competitive.
So, I took their advice and reported this result:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I left central Bratislava a few minutes after 12:00 and made it to central Warsaw a few minutes after 18:00, with just one stop for fuel and vignettes in Bratislava. The D2/D1/I46 were reduced to one lane in four places between the Slovak/Moravian border and Olomouc. Getting through Czestochowa was slow and unpleasant, as always. Otherwise not too bad.

I cannot see any reason why they don't allow one lane of <3.5t traffic in each direction on the Mszana bridge. It doesn't seem like it would significantly impede the works and the bridge is obviously strong enough to support such a small fraction of the design load.

I also hope that the A1 from (including) the bypass of Czestochowa to the A1/S1 interchange at Pyrzowice will be tendered soon. That section of A1 would cut 30-60 minutes off the trip.

Thanks again to MAG and bad_boy.
Today I tried it the way I had proposed: Bratislava -> Zilina -> Cadca -> Cieszyn (via DW938 and DK81) -> Zory (via A1) -> Pyrzowice (via S1 and DK78 and DK1) -> Piotrkow Tybunalski -> Warsaw.

It took me about 15 minutes longer to get from Bratislava to Zory (after which the two routes are the same). However, there was some rain today that slowed me down today, but not the first time. So, from a very small data set, I guess the route via Brno is probably just a few minutes faster, but about 30 kilometers longer. The route via Zilina saves needing a CZ vignette and probably saves about 5 liters of fuel (shorter distance + lower average speed). In my opinion, the route via Zilina is also more scenic. Planned road works will improve both routes. Your mileage may vary.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:43 PM   #10525
bad_boy

Likes (Received): 2360

That is good observations. For me it is very frequent route and it is good to know how it is happening on the alternative. Thanks for posting a "drive report".

One more thing: from Čadca you took route via Żywiec or Českż Těšķn? That also matters, for the time being.

Can you also say how fast you drive (or the total time travel)? When driving on free flow route this becomes crucial:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_boy
Also depends how fast you drive (200+, 160 or 130 km/h?). The faster you drive the better it is to go via Brno and Ostrava.
I usually drive rather fast and for that reason still do not plan to go back to route via Žilina until S69 opening.

Road is definitely more scenic via Žilina though.
bad_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:38 AM   #10526
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_boy View Post
That is good observations. For me it is very frequent route and it is good to know how it is happening on the alternative. Thanks for posting a "drive report".

One more thing: from Čadca you took route via Żywiec or Českż Těšķn? That also matters, for the time being.

Can you also say how fast you drive (or the total time travel)? When driving on free flow route this becomes crucial:

I usually drive rather fast and for that reason still do not plan to go back to route via Žilina until S69 opening.

Road is definitely more scenic via Žilina though.
I drove via Českż Těšķn yesterday. I tried it via Żywiec a little more than a year ago and that was dreadful. I would not try it again via Żywiec before the S69 opening. I stayed more than 20 kilometers west of Żywiec at all times.

I drive quite fast, but I'm not the fastest driver on the road. My cruising speed on the DK1 both yesterday and in July, except while passing through Czestochowa or otherwise constrained by traffic, was 140 km/h. Even on the best parts of the A1, I didn't much exceed 160 km/h.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:56 AM   #10527
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Has S8 Adamowice - Radziejowice (Mszczonów bypass) been completed?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:06 PM   #10528
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Huge chance
Except for the section between S79 and "regular" 79 (Puławska street) - this will open later.
Opening of the S2 between Aleja Krakowska and S79 will alleviate Warsaw of a lot of traffic I am sure and faster access to/from the airport to all points north, west and south (but unfortunately not east at least for now)
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #10529
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Has S8 Adamowice - Radziejowice (Mszczonów bypass) been completed?
The paving has been completed and all lanes are open. There are still some finishing touches to be done, so the speed limit is reduced to 80 km/h in the Warsaw -> Piotrkow Trybunalski direction and 90 km/h in the other direction. Still not officially S-class.
Old September 6th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #10530
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Junction 'Lublin Sławinek' (former name 'Dąbrowica') on Lublin Bypass S12/S17/S19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti:) View Post
Zdjęcia na chyba największy węzeł Dąbrowica. Nie są zbyt nowe, mają chyba z miesiąc.

Widać kawałek drogi w kierunku Rzeszowa. Kiedy ten odcinek do węzła płouszowice, jeśli w ogóle taki ma być będą robić, ktoś wie?

Na Kurów

Kierunek Piaski

W kierunku Kurowa

Last edited by Strzala; September 6th, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
Strzala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #10531
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Fantastic stuff.

Strzala liked this post
bleetz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #10532
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Directions description:

fot. tarkowskim.pl

Quote:
Old September 6th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #10533
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Hope that the S19 going to the [SK] border is constructed .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #10534
bewu1

Likes (Received): 2073

Today, S-2 / S-79 expressways in Warsaw (part of south-western Warsaw by-pass) were opended (total appr. 10 km).
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #10535
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozenBDJ View Post
Hope that the S19 going to the [SK] border is constructed.
Someday. For Poland, constructing the S19 north of Rzeszow is a higher priority than the S19 south to the SK border. The EU has a focus on connecting the member states and will use 85% funding as part of the political bargaining over the priority lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewu1 View Post
Today, S-2 / S-79 expressways in Warsaw (part of south-western Warsaw by-pass) were opended (total appr. 10 km).
Thank you for sharing this excellent news!
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #10536
bewu1

Likes (Received): 2073

Construction of S-19 expressway between Lublin and Rzeszów is scheduled for years 2014-2020. I my opinion, at least some parts of S-19 expressway south of Rzeszów (at least 20-30 km) shall also be built.
bewu1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #10537
and802

Likes (Received): 55

hard forward taken from Polish forum. s2/s79 pictures by morcair
Quote:
Originally Posted by morcair View Post

LMB, Orionol liked this post
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #10538
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Is that the Marynarska interchange?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #10539
and802

Likes (Received): 55

yes it is
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #10540
mcarling

Here is a map of the newly opened section of the S2:

Click here to see the full size:
https://www.gddkia.gov.pl/userfiles/...rona%20www.pdf
The red part is open and the dashed yellow part should open before the end of 2013.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road