daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #11281
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

I am not saying that Poland needs its East-West motorways for export only. The two East-West motorways would primarily service the biggest towns of the nation that are either on or well connected to the A2 and the A4.

Nonetheless, decent North-South corridors through the centre of the country have to come. Maybe demand for them was just slightly loser than demand for construction of the A2 and the A4 because North-South corridors often seem much more tied to two cities only rather than the strings of cities that sit along the A2 and the A4.

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #11282
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18821

Motorways are not the only roads that Poland builds

New bridge over Wisła in Kamień

http://maps.google.pl/?ll=51.125001,...09645&t=m&z=17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lary View Post

New bridge over Wisła in Połaniec

http://maps.google.pl/?ll=50.425417,...77162&t=m&z=14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Out View Post

Last edited by Kemo; December 27th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11283
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18821

50 km of eastern A4 Jarosław (Wierzbna) - Korczowa (UA border) by jarfi

Quite picturesque actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarfi View Post
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #11284
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 174

When is the Korczowa exit to DK94 supposed to open to traffic?
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #11285
lauda

Could someone explain to me why highway bridges from concrete are painted in Poland? Is that not just a waste of money and invitation for graffiti sprayer?
lauda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:38 AM   #11286
POLAMCO

Likes (Received): 150

I was thinking, that grey concrete is like invitation for kids with cans.
POLAMCO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #11287
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19284

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauda View Post
Could someone explain to me why highway bridges from concrete are painted in Poland? Is that not just a waste of money and invitation for graffiti sprayer?
Structures are painted to protect concrete from atmospheric conditions.
Often even if concrete looks unpainted it still has protective layer, just transparent.
Now, about colors. Myslef I prefer natural, "concrete" color but unfortunately designers in Poland seems to have predominant view that the more cheerful and kitschy the color the better.
I think partially it is response to compensate for grayness during the communist era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLAMCO View Post
I was thinking, that grey concrete is like invitation for kids with cans.
Grey or silly yellow or high-vis green they are all equally attractive for kids with cans. Unfortunately.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #11288
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

I like the colors in PL
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #11289
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Extention of DTS expressway in Upper Silesia between Zabrze and Gliwice:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazusik View Post
Przeglądając stronę UM-Gliwice natknąłem się na kilka zdjęć ukazujących budowę DTŚ z nieco innej/większej perspektywy niż dotychczas prezentowane w wątku W/g opisu na stronie UM-Gliwice przedstawiają stan z grudnia 2013. Oto one:
1. Węzeł z A1

2. DTŚ/DK88

3. DTŚ/Królewskiej Tamy

4. DTŚ - śródmieście Gliwic

Autorem zdjęć jest K. Krzemiński.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 10:31 AM   #11290
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12646

Road construction - Expressway S8.

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 12:57 AM   #11291
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25764

Visualization of future S6 Kołobrzeg-Koszalin, direction Koszalin:
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalzbrzezin View Post
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:04 PM   #11292
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Very nice constructions. But, driving in Poland is still very unpleasant compared to Western Europe, not only for its still mainly bad road network, but also for its very aggressive, selfish drivers which are nothing more than public dangers on wheels. Already this week, a drunken driver hit and killed 6 pedestrians along with children for New Year's Eve. It is very sad to notice that PL has the worst death toll on roads in UE. As an example, driving at more than 100 km/h through villages or cities is just commonly accepted and widespread, completely ignoring the danger posed to pedestrians, children, old persons and other road users. Also, try to respect the speed limit and you always get drivers self proclaimed to "punish" you, by making fishtails or crushing the brakes after overtaking you, along other bad things, even if you are already going too fast for the road conditions. As a matter of fact, if Poles were to behave that way in Switzerland, most of them would already have lost their driver's license; but in Poland, it's considered as an extreme derogation, even if well deserved and justified. And dangerous drivers are always on the roads again. When this madness is going to stop?

Last edited by John Maynard; January 3rd, 2014 at 03:17 PM.
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:16 PM   #11293
markfos
San Escobar

Likes (Received): 4286

Lithuania has the highest fatality rate in EU not Poland.
markfos está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:25 PM   #11294
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Poland has the third highest rate though (2012), after Lithuania and Romania. Greece used to be worse, but is now slightly better, perhaps due to reduced traffic volumes, in 2010 Greece had the worst traffic safety in the EU.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:40 PM   #11295
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Overpass through Bystrzyca river valley at S12/S17 Lublin bypass:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzeRo View Post

25. Estakada w całości

21. W oddali jakieś prace.

And visualization of future S17 Warsaw- Kurów:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalzbrzezin View Post
Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM   #11296
Dantiscum

Likes (Received): 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Very nice constructions. But, driving in Poland is still very unpleasant compared to Western Europe, not only for its still mainly bad road network, but also for its very aggressive, selfish drivers which are nothing more than public dangers on wheels. Already this week, a drunken driver hit and killed 6 pedestrians along with children for New Year's Eve. It is very sad to notice that PL has the worst death toll on roads in UE. As an example, driving at more than 100 km/h through villages or cities is just commonly accepted and widespread, completely ignoring the danger posed to pedestrians, children, old persons and other road users. Also, try to respect the speed limit and you always get drivers self proclaimed to "punish" you, by making fishtails or crushing the brakes after overtaking you, along other bad things, even if you are already going too fast for the road conditions. As a matter of fact, if Poles were to behave that way in Switzerland, most of them would already have lost their driver's license; but in Poland, it's considered as an extreme derogation, even if well deserved and justified. And dangerous drivers are always on the roads again. When this madness is going to stop?
Oh, I think you exaggerate a lot. What you are writing about was truth maybe about 10 years ago, but since a couple of years it's slowly improving. Of course there are still many maniac drivers, but now it's a small minority I think. And it's not commonly accepted for sure.
What the more serious problem is, are the drunken drivers. I hope after this horrible accident you wrote about, the whole discussion in the mass media and in the parliament will lead to some substantial decisions.
Dantiscum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 07:34 PM   #11297
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 19092

No, It is still correct. Maybe better than 10 years ago, but still as dangerous as can be compared to Austria, Germany, Sweden, USA. Italians are really bad drivers too, but at least they respect speed limits in cities.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2014, 11:41 PM   #11298
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
No, It is still correct. Maybe better than 10 years ago, but still as dangerous as can be compared to Austria, Germany, Sweden, USA. Italians are really bad drivers too, but at least they respect speed limits in cities.
Italians bad drivers ?! It's a joke ?
Where you saw that ?
I'm suprised italian forumers already have not protest against that.
But all of them don't respect speed limits in cities, particularly in the south and sicily.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #11299
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
From my experiences driving in Italy, I would say that the typical Italian drivers are skilled but not courteous or particularly safe.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #11300
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
(...)driving at more than 100 km/h through villages or cities is just commonly accepted and widespread
That is a huge exaggeration. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but saying it's "commonly accepted" isn't true at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard
When this madness is going to stop?
It is going to stop when more motorways and express way are built. It's as simple as that. Maybe not completely, but the scale will be much smaller.
At some point in the past someone decided it's ok for villages and towns to be built along the national roads. At that time there was very little traffic, so everything was fine. Later, since 1989 Poland experienced an enormous increase in the number of vehicles. People stopped travelling by trains and buses in favour of their own four wheels. But the roads weren't (you could say still aren't) ready for such traffic volume. Many bad decisions were made throughout the years regarding road construction, but it's finally getting better. And it's getting better really fast.
However, until travelling around takes waaay too much time than it should, people will be speeding. It's stupid, but time is money and no one wants to spend that time on the road.
To give you an example, on Friday afternoon a trip from Poznań to Wrocław (around 180 km) takes 3~3.5h. These are two biggest cities in Western Poland with sh*tload of people travelling between them. Plus there are also people generally travelling north or south bound on DK5. The road is far from perfect - it's single carriageway, goes through many towns and smaller cities. I'm sure when S5 express way is finished, 90% of people will not exceed the 120 km/h speed limit. It just won't be necessary.

We'll also see a huge change in the statistics. I'm pretty sure of that. Meanwhile speed cameras and police traps in the most dangerous places will have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40
Where you saw that ?
Err... almost anywhere in Italy? The North is much better than the South, but I still wouldn't call that "good".

Proterra, Dantiscum liked this post
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road