daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #11321
ionutz_08

Likes (Received): 102

hallo.I have a question.
how many km of motorways and expressways have been built with Eu fonds in poland?
sorry if the question is maybe a little bit childish or stupid or whatever.
thank u very much

Sponsored Links
Old January 5th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #11322
MonteChristo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 942

Number of registered cars is not included. Poland already has more cars per capita than Netherlands (AFAIK). In 1991 roads were empty-when comapred to what we have today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaskovitz View Post
Accidents

1991: ~54 000
2011: 40 065
2012: 37 046
2013: 35 385

Killed

1991: ~8 000
2011: 4 189
2012: 3 571
2013: 3 291

Injuried:

2011: 49 501
2012: 45 792
2013: 43 471

Drunk drivers

2011: ~183 500
2012: ~171 000
2012: ~162 000

Road Controls:

2010: 2,1 mln
2012: 7,4 mln
2013: 8,9 mln

Deo liked this post

Last edited by MonteChristo; January 6th, 2014 at 03:11 AM.
MonteChristo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #11323
MonteChristo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutz_08 View Post
hallo.I have a question.
how many km of motorways and expressways have been built with Eu fonds in poland?
thank u very much
Poland entered EU in 2004 (I think not all of them were built with EU funds)

red-U/C
green-in use

Poland will have about 7500km of motorways and expressways.
Old January 5th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #11324
Haveblue

Likes (Received): 2664

... in the past in this topic you mean ...

... this conversation comes back over and over again. Why? - I do not know.

oxyuranus liked this post
Haveblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #11325
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Might we please return to questions of infrastructure?

oxyuranus liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #11326
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionutz_08 View Post
hallo.I have a question.
thank u very much
the link below does not answer your qestion directly, but give you at least overview what has been built... (in Polish - but not a big deal to understand it)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1142261
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #11327
MonteChristo
BANNED

Hope that it's not a repost. Polish motorways-last 10 years.

Old January 6th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #11328
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18742

Was posted here twice, originally by the author
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2014, 10:56 PM   #11329
MonteChristo
BANNED

It's good to see that again
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:11 AM   #11330
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Very nice constructions. But, driving in Poland is still very unpleasant compared to Western Europe, not only for its still mainly bad road network, but also for its very aggressive, selfish drivers which are nothing more than public dangers on wheels. Already this week, a drunken driver hit and killed 6 pedestrians along with children for New Year's Eve. It is very sad to notice that PL has the worst death toll on roads in UE. As an example, driving at more than 100 km/h through villages or cities is just commonly accepted and widespread, completely ignoring the danger posed to pedestrians, children, old persons and other road users. Also, try to respect the speed limit and you always get drivers self proclaimed to "punish" you, by making fishtails or crushing the brakes after overtaking you, along other bad things, even if you are already going too fast for the road conditions. As a matter of fact, if Poles were to behave that way in Switzerland, most of them would already have lost their driver's license; but in Poland, it's considered as an extreme derogation, even if well deserved and justified. And dangerous drivers are always on the roads again. When this madness is going to stop?
First time I drove in Poland in 2010, crossing the country from Lithuania to Czech Rep. I have seen six accidents in only four days and felt very uncomfortable on the roads. The cars behind tailgated me constantly.

Last week I drove on A4 from Czech Rep. to Ukraine and back to Slovakia. Can't remember one unpleasant situation. Due to the lower traffic density it's even more enjoyable than in Germany, Austria or even Switzerland. The problem back then was obviously just the lack of highways. People are always stressed on one-lane-long-distant-roads (don't know if there's a technical term for it). They risk horrible overtaking manoeuvres just to save 5 minutes in 500 km, how you can see it today in Ukraine between Lviv and Rivne.

Only bad thing was the quality of the road markings off the highway. In the night I could hardly see the lane. Also almost no reflectors at the side.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #11331
arct
Inżynier Beton

Likes (Received): 2061

You had to have REALY bad luck to see 6 accidents in 4 days. Through whole my life I've seen maybe 1 accident of german van, where driver hit a tree becouse he felt asleep while traveling.
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:07 AM   #11332
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 19063

If you came from Lithiania, thats actually understandable that you've seen so many accidents: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...wcy+tir%C3%B3w
The search is 'Lithuanian tir drivers'...

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #11333
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
If you came from Lithiania, thats actually understandable that you've seen so many accidents: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...wcy+tir%C3%B3w
The search is 'Lithuanian tir drivers'...
I cannot help but find it most amusing that you search "lithuanian tir drivers" in jenzyk polski

Haveblue liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #11334
MonteChristo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post

Last week I drove on A4 from Czech Rep. to Ukraine and back to Slovakia. Can't remember one unpleasant situation. Due to the lower traffic density it's even more enjoyable than in Germany, Austria or even Switzerland. The problem back then was obviously just the lack of highways. People are always stressed on one-lane-long-distant-roads (don't know if there's a technical term for it). They risk horrible overtaking manoeuvres just to save 5 minutes in 500 km, how you can see it today in Ukraine between Lviv and Rivne.

Only bad thing was the quality of the road markings off the highway. In the night I could hardly see the lane. Also almost no reflectors at the side.
Well, I agee. I was often traveling on E40 around Krakow. It was dangerous especially on the Krakow-Tarnow part. Now driving is comfortable and much faster. There is also big improvement with the local roads.

(In)Famous Łapczyca on the E40 between Kraków and Tarnów

this is how it looked more than 1 year ago-E40

and now ( soon all the way to Ukraine)-A4

Just turn on the music

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 7th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #11335
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChristo View Post
how it looked more than 1 year ago-E40

and now ( soon all the way to Ukraine)-A4

This is the main reason why road fatality statistics are down in Poland. The upgrade from single carriageways to dual carriageways has the biggest effect, followed by newer, safer cars in second place, then police controls, driver education, etc., although the latter do help a bit too. Among the various types of police controls, the controls on drink driving a have a much bigger effect than the controls on speed.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 7th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #11336
MonteChristo
BANNED

yep (BTW motorways in Poland are always brand new-it was built from scratch. Both roads exist)
Old January 7th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #11337
Niemiec w Polsce

Likes (Received): 12

Well, after living here in Poland for almost 4 years I can share following.

General behavior
People are mostly very kind to each other, they let you through, let you pass, etc.
Most of the Polish drivers are quite good. They drive fluent and without hesitations (especially at traffic lights they don’t waste a second which I really like) and have fast reactions skills. And another very positive point is that they use the turn signal ALWAYS in each situation, even if they are backing out from a parking spot.
But I had to notice that there’s also a decent number of very bad drivers which are making major mistakes which I rarely see in the western countries. These kind of drivers normally take it very slow making other drivers nervous. Driving 50 outside the city, or also taking a maximum of 70 on the highway (also very dangerous).
Pedestrians sometimes seem not to like their lives very much. Regularly I can observe how they do not wait for cars backing out of parking spots but just “jump” behind the car, expecting the driver to notice them last-second and hit the brakes, sometimes crossing the road without looking left or right at all. Walking in the middle of the road with small kids. Drunk heads jumping for fun in front of cars and making them stop on major roads. These things you can very rarely/never observe in other countries.

Speeding and fines
Yes, driving a couple of 100km cross-country combined with a lot of traffic, never-ending villages and slow drivers make a lot of people impatient and this is understandable. On the other hand I can see a lot of local drivers driving through the city to work or for shopping exceeding speed limits massively.
Speed controls are frequently and more than in most other countries. But the fines are actually ridiculous. You can get 500 Zloty (120 Euro) fine as maximum and 10 points. 24 points is the maximum when you get the license revoked. Points are deleted already after one year, allowing you to get caught with major misbehavior two times a year without severe consequences. For comparison: Exceeding the speed in a city massively you pay 500 zl (roughly 8-10% of an average salary) and get 10 points in Poland. In Germany you will pay at least 700 Euro (a third of an average salary), 4 points (after 8 it will be revoked, and points stay for at least 2,5 years up to 10 years) and you will lose you driver license instantly for 3 months. As I know in most other countries consequences are even more severe.

Tailgating
For now driving on the highway in Poland is a dream. Brand new roads combined with low and calm traffic is just perfect. People are kind and do not pull on the left lane last-second making faster cars hitting the brakes. They stay right and use almost every gap to go back on the right and not stay on the left forever. But noticing a lot of unnecessary extreme tailgating. As for now traffic volume is low it is not really a safety issue but I can imagine with higher traffic density rear-end crashes will become more regular. Tailgating doesn’t seem to be punished by the police.

Summary
Highways and expressways are helping a lot to insure safe traffic. People drive less nervously and a lot of dangerous situations are avoided. I have observed less and less crazy actions on the road throughout the last years. General understanding that wrong driving/speeding is killing people should be more communicated. Most people see it still as something normal and legal. Fines and punishment system has to be re-defined (unfortunately politicians seem to be afraid to take such unpopular decisions).

MonteChristo, crimio, Dantiscum, JanVL, and802 and 2 others liked this post
Niemiec w Polsce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #11338
xelius_autobahn
xelius_autobahn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemiec w Polsce View Post
you pay 500 zl (roughly 8-10% of an average salary)
5000zl average salary? It would be good. Unfortunately, average Pole earns 2000-4000zl.
xelius_autobahn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #11339
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelius_autobahn View Post
5000zl average salary? It would be good. Unfortunately, average Pole earns 2000-4000zl.
2000-4000 ? = 3000 to me

So, what is the truth ?
Be in agreement.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #11340
Japinta

Likes (Received): 32

average net salary is 2700 PLN
Japinta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road