daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 11th, 2014, 12:39 PM   #11381
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
* by briefly I mean that trucks move back to the right lane as soon as they passed the other truck, instead of continuing in one of the left lanes for some time to pass another vehicle further down the road.
… except when a truck is passing two or three or ten trucks, in which case the process can take up to ten to fifteen minutes, during which time cars back up for several kilometers behind the truck passing at 91 km/h.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:59 PM   #11382
rav00

Likes (Received): 165

Speed limit for trucks on Polish motorway is 80kph, which is ~10kph lower than the truck's limiter. 10kph difference should be enough to overtake and not block the left lane for ever.

Also, if you ride a motorcycle with a young passenger (<7 yrs old), you can't exceed 40kph, and yet you can still drive on the motorway, since there's no minimal speed defined.
rav00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #11383
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichu View Post
For free ? You must be joking...

I wrote "nearly for free". How much does the EU pay for road construction projects in Poland? Around 70-80% of all costs?
So therefore I´m very happy when these projects are done by German companies because a big part of this EU help comes from Germany. A win-win situation.

An example for high-tech equipment "Made in Germany":
All tunnels in Poland (+ the second subway line in Warsaw) currently under construction or already completed are/were drilled by Herrenknecht TBMs!
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #11384
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

How many TBM builders are there actually in Europe? It seems that nearly all TBMs in Europe are built by Herrenknecht. For example, the new Sluiskil Tunnel in the Netherlands is built with a TBM made in Germany and operated by a German crew.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #11385
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav00 View Post
if you ride a motorcycle with a young passenger (<7 yrs old), you can't exceed 40kph, and yet you can still drive on the motorway, since there's no minimal speed defined.
That's idiotic.
Old January 11th, 2014, 05:46 PM   #11386
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
How many TBM builders are there actually in Europe? It seems that nearly all TBMs in Europe are built by Herrenknecht. For example, the new Sluiskil Tunnel in the Netherlands is built with a TBM made in Germany and operated by a German crew.
To be honest I've never heard of another manufacturer of large TBM's elsewhere either. There must be some in Asia, but I couldn't name one. This kind of manufacturing (high tech, business to business) seems to be a German/Swiss specialty.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #11387
białek

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Also, if you ride a motorcycle with a young passenger (<7 yrs old), you can't exceed 40kph, and yet you can still drive on the motorway, since there's no minimal speed defined.
There is no formal minimum speed, however you have to drive at a speed "not hindering other drivers". Also, vehicles which cannot reach 40km/h on a flat surface are forbidden from entering motorways. Given that, I would assume that driving slower than 40km/h is illegal.

So, if you ride a motorcycle with a kid younger than 7y/o, you have to drive exactly at 40km/h, am I right? Of course that's moronic and I've already seen some scooters driving ca. 50km/h on a shoulder of a motorway/expressway.
białek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #11388
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
To be honest I've never heard of another manufacturer of large TBM's elsewhere either. There must be some in Asia, but I couldn't name one. This kind of manufacturing (high tech, business to business) seems to be a German/Swiss specialty.
According to German wikipedia:
Herrenknecht and Wirth from Germany
Robbins from USA
Lovat from Canada
Mitsubishi, IHI, Kawasaki and Hitachi from Japan
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #11389
rav00

Likes (Received): 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by białek View Post
There is no formal minimum speed, however you have to drive at a speed "not hindering other drivers". Also, vehicles which cannot reach 40km/h on a flat surface are forbidden from entering motorways. Given that, I would assume that driving slower than 40km/h is illegal.
It's not illegal. The only thing they could ticket you for is hindering - probably depending on the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by białek View Post
So, if you ride a motorcycle with a kid younger than 7y/o, you have to drive exactly at 40km/h, am I right? Of course that's moronic and I've already seen some scooters driving ca. 50km/h on a shoulder of a motorway/expressway.
No. It's at most 40kph. Still no lower limit on motorway.
I doubt it would be possible to prove you were hindering since you were driving at your legal limit (40).
Also cars with trailers can go up to 80kph there.

Yup. I think that gives a good idea about 'quality' of law in Poland.
And, of course, we have 'letter of the law' rule.

Last edited by rav00; January 11th, 2014 at 07:17 PM.
rav00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #11390
MonteChristo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

I wrote "nearly for free". How much does the EU pay for road construction projects in Poland? Around 70-80% of all costs?
So therefore I´m very happy when these projects are done by German companies because a big part of this EU help comes from Germany. A win-win situation.

An example for high-tech equipment "Made in Germany":
All tunnels in Poland (+ the second subway line in Warsaw) currently under construction or already completed are/were drilled by Herrenknecht TBMs!

Yes and on the other hand we have economic neocolonialism in Poland (and rest of the CEE) where almost all industries and sectors are in foreign hands.

arct, WB2010 liked this post
MonteChristo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #11391
mcarling

Quote:
It's not illegal. The only thing they could ticket you for is hindering - probably depending on the traffic.

No. It's at most 40kph. Still no lower limit on motorway.
I doubt it would be possible to prove you were hindering since you were driving at your legal limit (40).
You're joking, right? If a police officer says that you were hindering traffic at 40 km/h on a motorway or expressway, a judge that would find you innocent would be rarer than roses in Antarctica. The maximum speed of your vehicle has nothing at all to do with it. If just one other vehicle had to slow down because you were driving 40 km/h, you would have been hindering.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #11392
arct
Inżynier Beton

Likes (Received): 2061

And that's bigger problem than the fact that we need more express- and motorways. If that will go on the way that goes now, we will become european Bangladesh. People will work for hunger rates for their "Lords from Western Europe". But LOOK!!! WE HAVE NEW ROAD!! And we can now BEG the LORDS to "invest" in our "country"!!! There will be 100 new jobs!!! Rejoice and be glad that They will Come!! So comparing the EU financing for "poor" countries to Marshall Plan is bulls*it.
Old January 11th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #11393
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19159

Quote:
The flow of truck traffic in Europe is quite different than in North America. For instance, it's quite common in the U.S. to see trucks passing cars and even avoiding the right lane in urban areas. This is rather uncommon in Europe, where trucks are virtually always the slowest vehicles on the road (most countries limit trucks at 80 or 90 km/h) and stick to the rightmost lane except when briefly* passing others.

* by briefly I mean that trucks move back to the right lane as soon as they passed the other truck, instead of continuing in one of the left lanes for some time to pass another vehicle further down the road.
That's true, trucks travel waaay faster in the US.
I wonder how does it influence statistics of crashes.

Chris do you have any stats considering crashes involving trucks?
How does it compare with "nanny" Europe?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #11394
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteChristo View Post
Yes and on the other hand we have economic neocolonialism in Poland (and rest of the CEE) where almost all industries and sectors are in foreign hands.
Haha, so, better the way it was before?

I have no idea why so many people are concerned about location of corporate registration. Just reduce your corporate tax rate and red tape and you will find quickly all the AG's and Corp.'s change to Polish Spolka Akcyjna... money wants freedom...

Beck's liked this post

Last edited by Kanadzie; January 11th, 2014 at 09:27 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #11395
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18753

Quote:
Originally Posted by arct View Post

And that's bigger problem than the fact that we need more express- and motorways. If that will go on the way that goes now, we will become european Bangladesh. People will work for hunger rates for their "Lords from Western Europe". But LOOK!!! WE HAVE NEW ROAD!! And we can now BEG the LORDS to "invest" in our "country"!!! There will be 100 new jobs!!! Rejoice and be glad that They will Come!! So comparing the EU financing for "poor" countries to Marshall Plan is bulls*it.
Majority of works & supplies on motorway construction are done by local companies (as subcontractors).
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11396
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Haha, so, better the way it was before?

I have no idea why so many people are concerned about location of corporate registration. Just reduce your corporate tax rate and red tape and you will find quickly all the AG's and Corp.'s change to Polish Spolka Aktyna... money wants freedom...
It wasn't better before, but you are fooling yourself if you think that the origin of corporate giants do not matter at all. To become a rich country (as opposed to just middle income like most of Eastern Europe) you need your own multinationals. I can't think of any exceptions for reasonably sized countries (>1 million inhabitants) which do not sit on an enormous patch of crude oil. The reason for that is that the highest paid jobs in management, design and R&D almost invariably stay in the original country + 1-2 locations elsewhere. Every rich Western or East Asian country has their own world leading companies.

I work for a large multinational. We produce in many places and sell virtually everywhere, but R&D and factories with the highest added value are in Switzerland, UK and USA. A little bit of R&D also in India and China due to their size.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #11397
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8207

Foreign capital has made us significantly richer country (and others such as Czech rep., Słovakia or Hungary) for the last 25 years because we were completely deprived own by communism. Moreover number of company belonging to Polish owners exporting their products to western countries like Solaris (producer of buses and trams) is growing now. Apart from that some western companies locate increasingly in Poland also R&D centres, so I don't think is so bad.
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #11398
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Poland also has the advantage of a large domestic market, with a large middle class population.

Another key issue is that major corporations did not become so large through own growth, but through mergers and acquiring competitors.

Poland may be the largest country in Europe with no domestic car industry. All plants are from non-Polish brands. It would've been nice if Poland had its own car brand like Škoda or Dacia.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #11399
Surel

Likes (Received): 2154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
It wasn't better before, but you are fooling yourself if you think that the origin of corporate giants do not matter at all. To become a rich country (as opposed to just middle income like most of Eastern Europe) you need your own multinationals. I can't think of any exceptions for reasonably sized countries (>1 million inhabitants) which do not sit on an enormous patch of crude oil. The reason for that is that the highest paid jobs in management, design and R&D almost invariably stay in the original country + 1-2 locations elsewhere. Every rich Western or East Asian country has their own world leading companies.

I work for a large multinational. We produce in many places and sell virtually everywhere, but R&D and factories with the highest added value are in Switzerland, UK and USA. A little bit of R&D also in India and China due to their size.
Indeed, a country without (big), domestically based, capital will hardly ever become really rich.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #11400
Beck's
Polska wielonarodowa!!

Likes (Received): 8207

Skoda belongs to Volkswagen and Dacia to Renault Beside this car market in the world is supersaturated so it's hard to break in that industry. Fortunately we are producer of buses (Solaris), trams (Solaris, Pesa) and trains (Pesa, Newag).

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road