daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #11481
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18751

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhookey View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has seen Google Maps recently, but there has been big tug back and forth over the last month regarding how to display Polish expressways. Many of the S-routes had originally been colored dark orange (as with roads of similar motorway standard). However, beginning around December, several Google Map Maker editors started to significantly recolor the expressways from dark orange to standard yellow, making them virtually indistinguishable from DK routes. In response, several Polish-based Map Maker editors tried to reverse this, reediting the maps to reflect their higher road standard, but so far, Google Maps has not reversed it.
Google is making much worse edits to their maps than changing the priorities.
For example they consistently add Czerniewice junction on A1, which has been closed for over a month. (We then try to delete it but it keeps being reverted again.)
Google Maps in Poland became crap recently.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #11482
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Google Maps in Poland became crap recently.
Not just Poland, but just about anywhere outside the U.S. Google has absolutely no interest to provide maps that reflect the actual situation. Unfortunately the average tech-savvy crowd only cares about their local restaurants being on the map. Google Maps seems less and less intended for those who actually use the roads: motorists...

It's ridiculous that full-fledged motorways with 75 mph speed limits like autovías in Spain or expressways in Poland are shown as any other two-lane road through villages while some slow-speed 55 mph substandard U.S. freeway is shown as a motorway.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #11483
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I have found that Apple Maps are now better than Google Maps about 70 to 80% of the time.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #11484
mdhookey

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I have found that Apple Maps are now better than Google Maps about 70 to 80% of the time.
I find Apple Maps generally fine, though it's a bit amusing at times. Their labeling of Zlín as Gottwaldov (the old Communist-era name) is quite ridiculous, even after nearly 25 years, as well as labeling some towns around here in Prague with German names. But hey, that's a whole other topic

In any case, I do hope Google can come to its senses and recolor the expressways as being essentially "freeways." Many Polish-based map editors have been trying to reverse these changes in mini-edit wars, perhaps including some members from this forum too. I hope this task can also spread to the Polish language forums to keep up the pressure on Google, since its online map service is among the world's leading map sites. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but it would be nice to see that map of Poland's road network look a little bit more darker (and accurate) to reflect recent investments
mdhookey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #11485
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

zumi.pl could do with being updated quicker as well. Not all recently opened motorways/expressways are shown on the map notably: the A1 between Toruń and Włocławek , the new road bridge in Toruń and the S8 between Syców and Wieluń (Walichnowy)
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #11486
ka__zet
yet another transit geek

Likes (Received): 599

I find that mapa.targeo.pl is usually most up to date map.
ka__zet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #11487
Pascal20a

Likes (Received): 19

And also in Croatia GM isnt up to date
Pascal20a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:23 AM   #11488
woyteck

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Not just Poland, but just about anywhere outside the U.S. Google has absolutely no interest to provide maps that reflect the actual situation. Unfortunately the average tech-savvy crowd only cares about their local restaurants being on the map. Google Maps seems less and less intended for those who actually use the roads: motorists...

It's ridiculous that full-fledged motorways with 75 mph speed limits like autovías in Spain or expressways in Poland are shown as any other two-lane road through villages while some slow-speed 55 mph substandard U.S. freeway is shown as a motorway.
That's why there is a 'Report a problem' or 'Edit' button on Google maps. I have done it on several occasions and usually within a week my contribution has been reviewed and accepted.
woyteck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #11489
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhookey View Post
I find Apple Maps generally fine, though it's a bit amusing at times. Their labeling of Zlín as Gottwaldov (the old Communist-era name) is quite ridiculous, even after nearly 25 years, as well as labeling some towns around here in Prague with German names. But hey, that's a whole other topic

In any case, I do hope Google can come to its senses and recolor the expressways as being essentially "freeways." Many Polish-based map editors have been trying to reverse these changes in mini-edit wars, perhaps including some members from this forum too. I hope this task can also spread to the Polish language forums to keep up the pressure on Google, since its online map service is among the world's leading map sites. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but it would be nice to see that map of Poland's road network look a little bit more darker (and accurate) to reflect recent investments
I wonder what the deal is behind things like this. Certainly Sergey Brin is not clueless about Central Europe

I wonder though if the report error causes more problems than solves. Look how if you translate Polish to English you get all kinds of stupid things like somehow a Ford Mondeo turns into a Ford Focus (??!!) and kilometres turn into miles but the number stays the same.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #11490
mdhookey

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I wonder what the deal is behind things like this. Certainly Sergey Brin is not clueless about Central Europe

I wonder though if the report error causes more problems than solves. Look how if you translate Polish to English you get all kinds of stupid things like somehow a Ford Mondeo turns into a Ford Focus (??!!) and kilometres turn into miles but the number stays the same.
Yeah, it really boggles the mind, doesn't it? As Poland is a growing economy and one of the best economic performers on the continent at the moment, you would think there would be pretty good, or at least accurate geographical information regarding transport infrastructure. Nothing can be completely accurate, but it should be as close as possible.

About Google Maps, some of the map maker editors chiefly responsible for these controversial changes are named Shenaz, Venkatagiri, manasadm, and ppuchakayala. From what I can see, these editors have quite a lot of experience on Google, and while I don't doubt that many of their edits have been beneficial, their edits for Polish expressways have been subject to a variety of complaints, with some people wondering out loud if it's actually spam data.

In any case, I just hope that map programs like Google, Apple, or even Czech Mapy, can improve with user feedback

oxyuranus liked this post
mdhookey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #11491
Rusonaldo
Autostrady Polska

Likes (Received): 12627

Construction of a bridge over the River Warta - expressway S8

Rusonaldo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #11492
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Openstreetmap is the most up to date map in most EU countries.

mcarling, Adamus!, solchante liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 03:53 AM   #11493
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2092

Nokia still has maps, you can also access on http://www.bing.com/maps

what is nice on this maps, it also has shoping centres inside For me it also loads significantly faster then GM
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #11494
Kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Openstreetmap is the most up to date map in most EU countries.
It however sucks in rural areas, generally.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #11495
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

The website zumi.pl has now been updated with the newly opened roads showing including: A1 Toruń - Włocławek West exit, the new bridge over the Wisła in Toruń, S8 Syców -Wielun, S8 Opacz - Salomea
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #11496
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Google Earth has new imagery from 22 July 2013 of the A1 construction east of Lodz.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #11497
Kemo

Purple - tenders to be announced this year, according to government's official plans:
Yellow, orange - tenders announced in 2013

(map by IgorSel)
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #11498
snipe65

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Purple - tenders to be announced this year, according to government's official plans:
Yellow, orange - tenders announced in 2013
I see that about half of s3 from Legnica - Lubawka is up for a tender, are there anymore details about this ?

Much appreciated!
Pawel
snipe65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #11499
Kemo

Details?
(last 3 columns - cost in thousands PLN)
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #11500
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11821

what happened to A4 jaroslaw-rzeszow? i thought it will open for traffic end of this year...
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road