daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #11661
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

I think it's important to build multi-modal transportation options simultaneously including bicycle highways to promote a healthier environment and better personal health but also to take pressure off existing transit, and maybe save money by not building too many roads or transit.

btw, there are already roads where construction of "S" series roads is planned, it's just that they will be upgraded, isn't that correct?

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #11662
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I think that allowing the long-distance truck traffic to use the S2/S8/S17 inner ring road would be a bad idea. I think it should continue to be kept well outside the Warsaw metropolitan area.
Also, I'm quite sure that if they allow them to pass through the City, inhabitants of the districts of Warsaw are going to severely protest.
Could you imagine all the international TIR transit passing through Żoliborz, Ursynów, Wilanów, just to mention a few? Without drawing attention to the mess it would create in already saturated portions during rush hours .

mcarling liked this post
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #11663
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
In 2050 we might as well be using personal flying devices instead of cars so it's hard to say if upgrade of DK50 will be needed
But for now, we simply cannot afford that.
Haha, they've already said that in the 1950's, that we will all have flying cars in the year 2000.
Better, maybe in 2050 we will all have electric "self riding" bicycles instead .
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #11664
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
I think it's important to build multi-modal transportation options simultaneously including bicycle highways to promote a healthier environment and better personal health but also to take pressure off existing transit, and maybe save money by not building too many roads or transit.
I agree with that, at least for cities. Having the choice of much healthier, less polluting and cumbersome, personal mean of transport, with "safe" paths is nothing but positive.
Intercity traveling by bicycles will be, anyway, marginal and the costs to build and maintain such infrastructure would be severely disproportionate.
Another, IMHO more pragmatic solution, would be, in that matter, that when Expressways and Motorways will be finished, to put a cyclist path along DK and DW roads (as they will be less traffic) instead of the shoulder lane.
Just, don't forget that you're in Poland, not in Florida . For 5 months or so per year is snow and cold, so you won't have much cyclists for nearly the half of the year, no matter how hard you try to promote it.

Last edited by John Maynard; March 7th, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old March 7th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #11665
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Yes certainly cycling is mostly viable for intra-city travel; however, you would be surprised how many people travel short distances of up to 10 km between smaller towns and villages.

as for winter, not sure when you were last in Poland, winters are pretty short and mild, especially in comparison to Canada/US.

Old March 7th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #11666
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Yes certainly cycling is mostly viable for intra-city travel; however, you would be surprised how many people travel short distances of up to 10 km between smaller towns and villages.
Sure, but what is the proportion of cyclists in road transport (rural)?
Quote:
as for winter, not sure when you were last in Poland, winters are pretty short and mild, especially in comparison to Canada/US.
This year's winter is not an example, as it is exceptional for its warm; but it's usually not like that, per example, last year there was snow until mid-April.
Also, during the very same period, it used to be as cold as -20°C .
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:16 AM   #11667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19357

Cold itself is not a major issue when cycling. I've cycled in -20°C and it's doable as long as there is little or no wind. Cycle trips are generally short and a car that has been parked all night in -20°C will take a while to warm up as well. Now, cycling on unplowed roads or with low windchills is a whole other issue.

I think it's a good idea to expanding cycling options in Poland. The country is mostly flat and the communist commieblock layout allows for some extra space for cycle paths in urban areas. The key reason why cycling is so efficient in the Netherlands is the lack of cramped and dense places, so there's a lot of space for cyclists to cycle safe and quick without getting run over by cars and trucks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Urbanista1, Rombi liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #11668
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

A4 Przemysl-Korczowa

Rest Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielcarz View Post
to jest piękne

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:45 AM   #11669
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Cold itself is not a major issue when cycling. I've cycled in -20°C and it's doable as long as there is little or no wind. Cycle trips are generally short and a car that has been parked all night in -20°C will take a while to warm up as well. Now, cycling on unplowed roads or with low windchills is a whole other issue.

I think it's a good idea to expanding cycling options in Poland. The country is mostly flat and the communist commieblock layout allows for some extra space for cycle paths in urban areas. The key reason why cycling is so efficient in the Netherlands is the lack of cramped and dense places, so there's a lot of space for cyclists to cycle safe and quick without getting run over by cars and trucks.
Yes, cold (even very low temperatures) if dry and windless is practicable for cycling or jogging.
For my long experience in Poland, winter is, by cons, wet and often windy.
Another issue that seems to be forgotten, is the piles of snow on the cycling paths, as they are (most often) not plowed in Warsaw; you just can't (usually) cycle on them during winter. And, when I used to ride my bike in winter, I often did it, for this matter, on the roadway: it's (frequently) very unpleasant with salt flying all around when cars are passing, as it burn your eyes and you're all dirty...
Moreover, there is already about 300km of cycling paths just in Warsaw.
Furthermore, the proposal we were talking about is to create special on own site "bicycles highways" in the rural area, and not in urban.

Last edited by John Maynard; March 8th, 2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #11670
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Theroetically possible cold cycling, but would anyone do it? Makes no sense to spend, say, 1 M zloty to maintain bicycle network for 6 people in city who would use it :p
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #11671
ufonut
Atlantyda

S19 Rzeszow Zachod - Swilcza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekonek View Post
Fotki ze strony GDDKiA - Odcinek S19 węzeł Rzeszów Zachód - Świlcza:

Reszta: http://www.gddkia.gov.pl/pl/g/Odcinek-Zachod-Swilcza
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:41 PM   #11672
ufonut
Atlantyda

S8 by Matss

Road shrine dating back to WWI - soon to make way for new road development.

[img]http://i57.************/24dq3cg.jpg[/img]
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:42 PM   #11673
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3339

They gonna move the shrine to one side of the new road?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #11674
ufonut
Atlantyda

Probably. Dont know exactly where but that's what usually happens.

Here is Opacz interchange U/C where the shrine is located.

By Matss

[img]http://i60.************/2iup9p4.jpg[/img]

loloo liked this post
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #11675
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4597

Nobody gonna see it from this sound barriers though
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #11676
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
Nobody gonna see it from this sound barriers though
When they are that old, it's better to move them all to a central park of old road shrines. Then the people who want to see them can go see them and the rest of us can be free of them.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #11677
Urbanista1
Here and Now

why not put it in the median, maintain its role as a road shrine.

Old March 9th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #11678
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
why not put it in the median, maintain its role as a road shrine.
For safety purpose, on a modern motorway, where traffic is dense and at high speed, anything that could distract should be banned; this most of the time includes, publicity and bright lights, but it's also valid, less often, for a shrine, that will certainly attract many attention, instead of road and other vehicles. Could you just imagine, what it would be when curious, or religious people are going to stop in the middle of the expressway, cross the carriageways, to take pictures, or pray between the median barriers?
I think that Urbanista1 was making a joke .

mcarling liked this post
Old March 9th, 2014, 03:30 AM   #11679
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Could you just imagine, what it would be when curious, or religious people are going to stop in the middle of the expressway, cross the carriageways, to take pictures, or pray between the median barriers?.
Poles are crazy, but not that crazy
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 05:29 AM   #11680
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4597

Wouldn't people drive safer if they were reminded that Jesus is watching them

Dantiscum, kapturek liked this post
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road