daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #11781
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastakilla View Post
When did Poland start building motorways etc?

Wikimedia Commons
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #11782
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

My grandfather told me of the time "Hitler" wanted to put a highway through his house in Sandomierz during the war. I don't think so though, I am thinking it might have been the original II RP autostrada plan of mid 1930's instead from Wawa to Przemysl

Interestingly what I have seen of the II RP autostrada plans, they also had the "two tier" superior route system (like current autostrada vs droga ekspresowa). Anyway, the interest and need in PL for first class road network is as old as other countries, it seems only political problems (and economic conditions resulting from political problems) held it back...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 02:43 PM   #11783
mastakilla
BANNED

Likes (Received): 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
My grandfather told me of the time "Hitler" wanted to put a highway through his house in Sandomierz during the war. I don't think so though, I am thinking it might have been the original II RP autostrada plan of mid 1930's instead from Wawa to Przemysl

Interestingly what I have seen of the II RP autostrada plans, they also had the "two tier" superior route system (like current autostrada vs droga ekspresowa). Anyway, the interest and need in PL for first class road network is as old as other countries, it seems only political problems (and economic conditions resulting from political problems) held it back...
You should be happy that there are no additional terrain problems in Poland.
Bosnia e.g is struggling to build the first 100 km of motorways, as they have to be built through massive mountains and over canyons
mastakilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #11784
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Do they still accept US Dollars at toll stations these days?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #11785
Sylwek

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Do they still accept US Dollars at toll stations these days?
PPP lots:
http://autostrada-a2.pl/en/tolls/discounts
http://autostradaa1.pl/amber-one/opl...-platnosci/?en,
http://www.autostrada-a4.pl/tolls/to...ods-of-payment

GDDKiA lots:
http://www.viatoll.pl/en/pojazdy-lek...lny/payments-3
Sylwek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #11786
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I see, so GDDKiA does not accept USD, but the concession companies do.

Who would pay with USD? Truckers from eastern (non-EU) Europe?
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #11787
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 553

Quote:
Yes, USD are still very common in Eastern Europe. Introduction of EUR changed a lot, but the further to the east, the less important it is.

BTW, 10-15 years ago prices of land around Warsaw for housing development were given in USD...
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #11788
Sylwek

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I see, so GDDKiA does not accept USD, but the concession companies do.

It's only for cars. Every truck ≥ 3,5 and every car with trailer (over 3,5 t. combination) must use viabox.
Sylwek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #11789
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
Yes, USD are still very common in Eastern Europe. Introduction of EUR changed a lot, but the further to the east, the less important it is.

BTW, 10-15 years ago prices of land around Warsaw for housing development were given in USD...
I know in Romania, for example, many transactions, like buying a car or apartment or second hand other stuff, was done in Deutsche Mark. USD was also used but not that often. After EURO was "born" everything changed to it.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #11790
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18778

Construction of S8 Raszyn bypass starts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matss View Post
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #11791
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post

Yes, in Ukraine, Russia and Belarus, the USD is still king. I have a friend who is paid in USD every month - they have mostly American clients, and the money is paid into a Polish USD account rather than risk transferring USD into the unstable Ukrainian banking system. Strangely enough, the Euro hasn't taken much of a hold, not even in L'viv.

I've noticed that commercial property in Poland still tends to be priced in Euro rather than Zloty for higher end developments. I've also seen some properties (kamienicas in particular) priced in Euro. But it's certainly not common.

As for Poland and the amount of roads, it's worth bearing in mind that Croatia poured a hell of a lot of money into the A1 as a prestige project. Quite a lot of the A3 was already built in Yugoslavia, and the other motorways aren't very long. Serbia too benefitted from the "Highway of Brotherhood and Unity" being constructed in Yugoslav times, as well as gaining hugely from the "foreigner" tolls levied on the main North-South motorway.

Interestingly, in Yugoslavia too, the DM was king, not the USD. But not in Poland, I wonder why?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
Interestingly, in Yugoslavia too, the DM was king, not the USD. But not in Poland, I wonder why?
Perhaps Yugoslavia was less closed to foreign (western) investment than Poland in communist times. Back in the 1980s Yugoslavia was quite a popular tourist destination for Germans.
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #11793
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
The reason why the USD was king in Poland during the occupation is that tens of thousands of Polish Americans retired in Poland and received American pensions in USD.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #11794
MonteChristo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Perhaps Yugoslavia was less closed to foreign (western) investment than Poland in communist times. Back in the 1980s Yugoslavia was quite a popular tourist destination for Germans.
And they had cheap western credits?
MonteChristo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #11795
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

15 years ago in Serbia the main currency was German Mark,even we had "Dinars" many people were using German Mark.
( "Dinars" are our national currency )
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:56 PM   #11796
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylwek View Post
It's only for cars. Every truck ≥ 3,5 and every car with trailer (over 3,5 t. combination) must use viabox.
No, they do not need to have and may not use viaBOX on concession companies sections.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 11:07 PM   #11797
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The reason why the USD was king in Poland during the occupation is that tens of thousands of Polish Americans retired in Poland and received American pensions in USD.
Was it really so many?

USD being sent is understandable, but I've never heard about any significant emigration from the US to the PRL by retired people.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #11798
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Yeah it would seem low, after spending so much work to get out of PRL how could one go back, mind you was excellent tourist destination if you had some USD in pocket near the end and made sure to not rent your own hotel (rather get someone local to rent in their name in PLZ)
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #11799
mcarling

Think about how a Polish-American with 500 or 1000 USD per month was able to live in the 1970s in Poland versus the USA. One could either be insanely wealthy in Poland or barely able to buy food in the USA. Many retired in Poland. I was told by one of them that it was tens of thousands, but I don't have any verifiable sources. It seems right to me.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #11800
mcarling

Does anyone know how exactly they plan to build the A1 between Piotrkow Trybunalski and Czestochowa? It seems to me that traffic is too heavy to divert both directions onto one carriageway while they rebuild the other. Once they have one three-lane carriageway, then that could temporarily carry 2+2 traffic while they build the second new carriageway.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road