daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2014, 06:34 PM   #12481
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

[QUOTE=SRC_100;116694804]Walichnowy-Łask cointains Sieradz-Łask. So yes, It will be opend this year and it means S8 Wrocław-Łódź all the way without any "breaks"

I'll believe that when I see it
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2014, 06:42 PM   #12482
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
The concept of upgrading this road to S standard seems troublesome.
Upgrading any existing road to S standard is troublesome. There are always land plots that must be acquired. There are always structures that need to be removed. There are always flyovers that need to be built.

Quote:
There's a chance [all the remaining sections of S8 between Wroclaw and Lodz] will open this year.
Yes, it will depend on the weather. If winter will be relatively mild and late, then it seems possible. If winter will be severe and early, then no chance.

Chris80678 liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:44 PM   #12483
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post

I'll believe that when I see it

They are painting lanes already:

(photos by motrs)
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM   #12484
Chris80678

Are the above photos from S8 Sieradz to Łask?
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM   #12485
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Ja wohl !!! my firend
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:41 PM   #12486
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18753

Yes. Actually works on Sieradz - Łask seem to be more advanced than on Sieradz - Złoczew and Złoczew - Walichnowy.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:58 PM   #12487
Chris80678

Quote:
Yes. Actually works on Sieradz - Łask seem to be more advanced than on Sieradz - Złoczew and Złoczew - Walichnowy.
That's not great news but we can but hope that the remaining sections open before winter sets in
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #12488
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
good point, I wondered about that as well. Both traffic entering the motorway and traffic on the motorway benefit from seeing each other. Especially if there's a column of trucks you want to adapt your speed to a possible gap to merge into. That works better if you can see them.
Here is example of what I had in mind (photo by motrs from Polish forum)

You have absolutely no visibility on cars joining the mainline.

Technically there will be accelerating lane and they should stick to it but I have limited trust in general. What if driver will be distracted with still adjusting his seat belt or finishing sandwich? It will be easy to cross the line.

I would prefer to see them in advance to slow or accelerate not to be side by side with car joining the accelerating lane.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #12489
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
The horizontal curvation of this road has been terribly designed. There is at least one sag too much in the short stretch that is visible in the picture. Polish guideline seem to be rather lax when they allow something like this.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:29 PM   #12490
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

This picture is taken with long lens so it is probably only optical illusion.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 03:53 PM   #12491
SRC_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
The horizontal curvation of this road has been terribly designed. There is at least one sag too much in the short stretch that is visible in the picture. Polish guideline seem to be rather lax when they allow something like this.
Yeah, ofcourse in Poland there is the worst level of design, construction, building, quality, law, requlations etc. regarding roads, expressways, motoways and others. But what is the worst of the worst, in Poland you can only buy cameras which take photos with optical illusions... disaster.. both roads and cameras...
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM   #12492
mr.cool

Likes (Received): 824

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post
Yeah, ofcourse in Poland there is the worst level of design, construction, building, quality, law, requlations etc. regarding roads, expressways, motoways and others. But what is the worst of the worst, in Poland you can only buy cameras which take photos with optical illusions... disaster.. both roads and cameras...
I think that's quite an immature comeback coming from you.

He was trying to genuinely make a constructive criticism but obviously the optical illusion, he didn't realise.

Grow up.

Mateusz liked this post
mr.cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 05:36 PM   #12493
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19159

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post
No, Poland has the best level of design, constructio, building quality, law, requlations etc. regarding roads, expressways, motoways and others.

Seriously guys let's not go into silly discussions about who has longer... I mean roads
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:02 AM   #12494
SRC_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.cool View Post
I think that's quite an immature comeback coming from you.

He was trying to genuinely make a constructive criticism but obviously the optical illusion, he didn't realise.

Grow up.
Sarcasm, do u know what it is? hope u know.
Btw, do not stress and chill out

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Seriously guys let's not go into silly discussions about who has longer... I mean roads
There is not about it. It would have a different connotation/overton. But never mind.

For me it`s over OT.

Last edited by SRC_100; August 23rd, 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:43 AM   #12495
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
This picture is taken with long lens so it is probably only optical illusion.
It hasn't got anything to do with a lens. The road disappears for a couple of metres 200 m in front of the camera. And that from a camera position 5 or 6 metres above said carriageway. From a drivers position the sight-line is even worse and certainly not fit for a motorway.
Not to speak of the terrible impression which wavy gradient of the section behind the curve leaves.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:18 AM   #12496
Venividi
BANNED

Quote:
You definitely exaggerate about the poor standards of driving in Poland. It is way better than it was, let say, 10-15 years ago.
it's maybe slightly better, but still terrible. We have high mortality rate on our roads, people killing each other with their cars like in some 3rd world country. this is sad but there is no respect for weaker participants in traffic ("law of the jungle" rule - only the strongest will survive), so it is very risky to ride a bike on polish roads, and hundreds of pedestrians die in accidents every month.
Yes, we are pretty bad drivers. There is too much bravado, too little skills, too many frustrated neanderthals and imbeciles (not to mention drunk drivers), too many fatal accidents, too lenient courts/sentences etc. etc.
Venividi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:04 AM   #12497
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venividi View Post
it's maybe slightly better, but still terrible. We have high mortality rate on our roads, people killing each other with their cars like in some 3rd world country. this is sad but there is no respect for weaker participants in traffic ("law of the jungle" rule - only the strongest will survive), so it is very risky to ride a bike on polish roads, and hundreds of pedestrians die in accidents every month.
Yes, we are pretty bad drivers. There is too much bravado, too little skills, too many frustrated neanderthals and imbeciles (not to mention drunk drivers), too many fatal accidents, too lenient courts/sentences etc. etc.
You omitted one major contributing factor in the high rate of fatal road accidents in Poland: an insufficiency of grade-separated dual carriageways. I commend Poland on the rate of construction, but it will take a few more decades to fully recover from the occupation and reach european levels of infrastructure development.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:42 AM   #12498
masages21

Likes (Received): 51

Any news about S-11 near Poznan?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
masages21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 12:27 PM   #12499
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venividi View Post
I think these issues would change overnight if we had Czech style enforcement or Slovak style punishments. Most people drive fast and do stupid things simply because they can.

From my own point of view - I was caught once on a Sunday morning near Kudowa-Zdroj doing 71km/h in a 50km/h zone. The punishment? 4 points and 100zl fine - did it change my behaviour? Nope. Haven't been caught since, and you very, very rarely see the police at the side of the road, except in very predictable places.

The other problem is this stupid attitude about not reporting people to the authorities. I was driving one night from Poznan to Pila when someone in front was obviously completely wasted - she was swerving all over the road and clearly wasn't fit to be in a car. So I called the police - and I do it every single time I spot a drunk driver. Same with bad parking - where I live has a problem with idiots parking their SUV's on the greenery. There's an app to report people to the Straz Miejska (and you can include pictures) - so I do it every single time.

It doesn't help that cars are a status symbol in Poland, so people feel the need to show everyone how big and important they are by driving like utter morons in a tank.

It's nothing to do with the roads, but everything to do with the burak (like a village peasant) mentality towards driving. What's scary is that it's often middle-aged men that are the worst drivers.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:14 PM   #12500
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2095

Quote:
Here is example of what I had in mind (photo by motrs from Polish forum)

You have absolutely no visibility on cars joining the mainline.

Technically there will be accelerating lane and they should stick to it but I have limited trust in general. What if driver will be distracted with still adjusting his seat belt or finishing sandwich? It will be easy to cross the line.

I would prefer to see them in advance to slow or accelerate not to be side by side with car joining the accelerating lane.
why do they have sound barriers in middle of nowhere?
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road