daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2014, 01:45 PM   #12561
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I'm of the opinion too that the frequent stopping for toll booths is a complete joke. Barrier tolls on a long distance route make absolutely no sense.

It's pie in the sky stuff, but I'd like to see the construction of a third lane on the A2 bypass of Poznan, but built in such a way that the third lane would be only for traffic heading towards Warsaw. They would be able to drive straight through the toll booths without stopping, but the lane would be physically segregated from the others.
There's no need for such a complex system. In Spain there are toll-free bypasses integrated in a closed-toll system. Local traffic is free of charge; you just enter your ticket like in any other toll gate, but you pay nothing.

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #12562
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
There's no need for such a complex system. In Spain there are toll-free bypasses integrated in a closed-toll system. Local traffic is free of charge; you just enter your ticket like in any other toll gate, but you pay nothing.
It wouldn't work with the volume of traffic on the A2 - the A2 is really more like a local road between Poznan-Komorniki and Poznan-Krzesiny junctions. I don't think there's even room for a toll plaza on the A2 junctions at that point.

LMB liked this post
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 02:51 PM   #12563
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18762

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
The same case is on A4 near Gliwice - if you travel between those 4 junctions, you don't pay.

But having to pay is not a problem, having to stop at toll barriers is...
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #12564
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
But having to pay is not a problem, having to stop at toll barriers is...
Exactly. I don't mind paying tolls. Being forced to stop or slow down to do it is insane.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #12565
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17445

We have to wait some years (2017), to eliminate toll barriers.
Old August 31st, 2014, 12:45 AM   #12566
Janek0

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
We have to wait some years (2017), to eliminate toll barriers.
Hopefully. We don't know how the matter with concessionaires will be sorted out yet.
Janek0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 03:49 AM   #12567
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Visualization of new section of S7 between Gdansk and Elblag:
Exit Żuławy East:

Exit Cedry Małe:

Exit Elbląg West:

Exit Dworek:

piotr71, Rombi, SRC_100, jyvation, n20 liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 02:45 PM   #12568
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

What is the date currently proposed to open S7 from Gdansk to Warsaw, and from Warsaw to Krakow?
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 03:48 PM   #12569
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janek0 View Post
Hopefully. We don't know how the matter with concessionaires will be sorted out yet.
From what I understand - electronic tolling would make it a formality, as the money could just be passed straight to the concessionaires, who would obviously be quite happy to eliminate the toll booths and the hassle that goes with it. But this would require everyone to get the viaAUTO, which is a bit ridiculous.

Vignettes could be introduced, but I can't imagine that the concessionaires would be happy to give up the income from tolling so easily. The only solution I can see in that respect is to buy out the concessionaires - but I can't imagine Autostrada Wielkopolska giving up a cash cow so easily.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:24 PM   #12570
Janek0

Quote:
From what I understand - electronic tolling would make it a formality, as the money could just be passed straight to the concessionaires, who would obviously be quite happy to eliminate the toll booths and the hassle that goes with it.
Yes, but concessionaires will have to agree to this, the government can not impose them anything.

Quote:
But this would require everyone to get the viaAUTO, which is a bit ridiculous.
Not necessarily. There are some options, e.g. route declaration with payment in advance for those not possessing viaAUTO. Details should be announced in the coming weeks.
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:12 PM   #12571
Kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
What is the date currently proposed to open S7 from Gdansk to Warsaw, and from Warsaw to Krakow?
Both after 2020.
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:52 PM   #12572
Kemo

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/51.7135/19.4595
Trasa Górna (DK1) in Łódź. It will be opened tonight. Today cyclists etc were allowed to test it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mNiam View Post

(In case the photos don't appear click the button)
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:55 PM   #12573
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
Both after 2020.
Still a long time waiting...
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 10:59 PM   #12574
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
From what I understand - electronic tolling would make it a formality, as the money could just be passed straight to the concessionaires, who would obviously be quite happy to eliminate the toll booths and the hassle that goes with it. But this would require everyone to get the viaAUTO, which is a bit ridiculous.

Vignettes could be introduced, but I can't imagine that the concessionaires would be happy to give up the income from tolling so easily. The only solution I can see in that respect is to buy out the concessionaires - but I can't imagine Autostrada Wielkopolska giving up a cash cow so easily.
I traveled to Houston, Texas in 2009 and this is the kind of toll I saw:
Two or three lanes for thos having an electronic badge, and 3 or 4 classic toll plazas aside. This is a very good system, that considerably reduces any traffic jam. It is much better than the French télépéage system (where you slow down to 30 km/h), and I believe Poles should take Houston as a model for toll-collecting ...

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:07 AM   #12575
Janek0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Two or three lanes for thos having an electronic badge, and 3 or 4 classic toll plazas aside. This is a very good system, that considerably reduces any traffic jam. It is much better than the French télépéage system (where you slow down to 30 km/h), and I believe Poles should take Houston as a model for toll-collecting ...
But this could apply only to existing toll sections, because on new sections there will be no toll booths built. Consequently, government is seeking for system with no manual tolling at all.
Old September 1st, 2014, 12:12 AM   #12576
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Poland can simply inspire itself from its own largest city, Chicago

Electronic pass holder typically just drives either on open road under gantry (no action from driver required) or when toll is on exit, through special lanes (again no special action needed). Driver without pass can exit on a slip road and pay toll with cash at collection station.

The only annoying thing is small exits have only coin-accepting basket and no person or barrier. If you have only paper money or cards, you cannot pay, so you must drive on. System will take picture of license plate and you can get ticket if you pass 2 or more times without paying. But, if you remember where you were, you can pay toll online from home (extra cost). It is needlessly complicated...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 02:43 AM   #12577
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19160

DEL
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 02:46 AM   #12578
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The only annoying thing is small exits have only coin-accepting basket and no person or barrier. If you have only paper money or cards, you cannot pay, so you must drive on. System will take picture of license plate and you can get ticket if you pass 2 or more times without paying. But, if you remember where you were, you can pay toll online from home (extra cost). It is needlessly complicated...
I almost got caught out at one of those close to the O'hare Airport on my first ever visit to Chicago. Luckily I had some quarters left from my previous trip to Kentucky.

However I do like the free flow mainline with option of the manual toll lanes for the casual users located on the side of the mainline.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 03:28 AM   #12579
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
Actually this becomes slowly a history. Now toll plazas in US are adding express e-zpass lanes like these one below. There is no needs to slow down at all.

GROBIN liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 05:06 AM   #12580
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I almost got caught out at one of those close to the O'hare Airport on my first ever visit to Chicago. Luckily I had some quarters left from my previous trip to Kentucky.
I had no coins so I just hit the gas. Next time I go Chicago I take my other car
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road