daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2014, 06:07 PM   #12741
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

That is the whole point of this "joke". Poland receives money from Brussels...
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #12742
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by salto_angel View Post
can you prove somehow, that there were cases of corruption in this case? Or is it just plain talk?
That is what many people think when they see noise barriers protecting nothing.

I'm not saying there was corruption, but you see a general attitude that when there is something that seems like wasteful spending (such as noise barriers like these), people think it is corruption.

I'm interested in the arguments to put up noise barriers here. I don't buy the 'we get the money from Brussels so we must spend it' theory. No country in Europe has noise barriers as extreme as Poland. There must('ve been) some kind of silly law mandating them.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling, Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #12743
Piasto

Likes (Received): 450

Might be something in the Polish constitution, that every citizen has the right to silence or something stupid like that, for exemple, the Intercontinental Hotel in Warsaw had to be build in a funny way just because people living behind it in smaller buildings have the right to a couple hours of sunlight according to the constitution
Piasto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #12744
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82113

In July a report from the Supreme Audit Office was published about those screens.

The main points:

- The regulations on noise were very severe in Poland, meaning the dangerous noise level was lower than for example in the UK which resulted in the need of building more barriers. In 2012 that level was raised after criticism averagely 3 to 6 dB's. (Details in the link);
- The measure above resulted in the change of the number of people that were endangered by noise, for example in Warsaw from 12% to 7%;
- The GDDKiA forced contractors to use noise barriers instead of other solutions like earth walls, lower speeds, ... ;
- Some barriers were built along terrains that are reserved for housing, but not yet occupied (6.1 km's along the A1);
- Nobody proposed buying up and removing sole properties that would force the use of a noise barrier;
- In a few cases noise barriers were constructed in bad places, f.e. parallel to an earth wall (4.1 km's on the A2), next to an empty habitat (600 m on the A2) ...;
- On the A2 there are places were barriers were forgotten;
- In 2013 the regulations which made noise barriers the preferred method were lifted;

http://www.nik.gov.pl/aktualnosci/ni...-miastach.html
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #12745
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piasto View Post

Might be something in the Polish constitution, that every citizen has the right to silence or something stupid like that, for exemple, the Intercontinental Hotel in Warsaw had to be build in a funny way just because people living behind it in smaller buildings have the right to a couple hours of sunlight according to the constitution
It is not the Constitution and it is not stupid at all. This is civil law and you are referring to what is called immisja. Basically, it is forbidden to take any action or omit to do something that would affect the neighboring properties more than it is necessary. For example, you are not allowed to build a skyscraper between one-storied houses – in that case, as you mentioned, local residents would be denied of much needed sunlight. But immisje can be much more complex than that. For instance, if your neighbor had a pile of explosive materials on his property, you would be allowed to indicate an indirect immisja, saying you fear for your safety.

Piasto, Proterra liked this post

Last edited by Maciek_CK; September 30th, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
Maciek_CK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #12746
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
- The GDDKiA forced contractors to use noise barriers instead of other solutions like earth walls, lower speeds, ... ;
http://www.nik.gov.pl/aktualnosci/ni...-miastach.html
So what is the reason behind the decision that GDDKiA forced contractors to use noise barriers in this case?
It is unbelievable how the worst possible and ugliest way noise barriers are built in Poland. I don't see many others solutions like earth, bushes, dense trees, concrete , brick or wood barriers. Everywhere just PVC and metal....
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #12747
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
That is the whole point of this "joke". Poland receives money from Brussels...
I am not sure if you got my joke. Belgium should look for the money in Brussels as well....
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #12748
JanVL

Quote:
So what is the reason behind the decision that GDDKiA forced contractors to use noise barriers in this case?
It is unbelievable how the worst possible and ugliest way noise barriers are built in Poland. I don't see many others solutions like earth, bushes, dense trees, concrete , brick or wood barriers. Everywhere just PVC and metal....
Probably because:

Quote:
- In 2013 the regulations which made noise barriers the preferred method were lifted;
... There was some regulation that somehow advised noise barriers .

But it is true that some other methods could have been used. There are some cases where such barriers are built almost literally in the front yard's of people's houses because there is a busy way passing there.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:00 AM   #12749
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
I didn't knowed that this section has 3 lanes per direction.
3 lanes per direction has section from junction 'Lublin Sławinek' to 'Lublin Rudnik' (10,2 kilometres lenght) - on this section will cumulate traffic from three national roads: 12, 17 and 19. Others section will have 2 lanes per direction with reserve for third additional lane.
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:04 AM   #12750
JanVL

Western bypass (part of S11) of Poznan

The pipeline cutting through the motorway:

aerofoto-kaczmarczyk.com

Strzala, loloo, Luki_SL, Rombi, baderman and 2 others liked this post
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:43 AM   #12751
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
Western bypass (part of S11) of Poznan

The pipeline cutting through the motorway:

aerofoto-kaczmarczyk.com
How are they going to get around that pipeline? I see there are some columns on the right-hand side - is that for a viaduct to carry the road over the pipeline?
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:38 AM   #12752
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think that is THE pipeline from Russia to Germany, right? The Druzhba pipeline.
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:47 AM   #12753
salto_angel
Visionmonger

Likes (Received): 9375

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

I'm not saying there was corruption, but you see a general attitude that when there is something that seems like wasteful spending (such as noise barriers like these), people think it is corruption.
You did not say but "only" suggested it. Which was taken purerly out of nothing.

There was NIK report on the barriers and the situation will now change.

But there is completly NO information that the barriers in Poland are constructed because of corruption. This is purely an urban myth which is copied all over Europe. Also by you. And I would expect a bit more from mod in this area, at least not to pass such bull...it.

TUMW
salto_angel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:53 AM   #12754
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You are not reading correctly what I was writing about corruption. Not once did I write I think there was corruption. I write that cases like these makes the general population think it seems like corruption, whether it's in Poland, Spain or elsewhere.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling, Surel, GROBIN liked this post
Old October 1st, 2014, 11:10 AM   #12755
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think that is THE pipeline from Russia to Germany, right? The Druzhba pipeline.
Yes, it is. This pipeline doesn't seem to have caused so much trouble for road construction in other places which it passes through, so why it is causing such a long delay for S11 is a mystery
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:05 PM   #12756
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Because in most cases there were no good alternatives available (within reasonable budget). The only other way of lowering the noise is lowering the speed, but on A/S roads simply lowering the speed limit achieves nothing, drivers ignore the speed limits on motorways for whatever reason.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:24 PM   #12757
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Lowering speed limits to reduce noise doesn't help that much. Trucks emit the most noise and they are unaffected by lower speed limits on motorways and expressways.

Most countries have some kind of 'exemption scheme' where you don't have to build noise barriers in front of every single house in a rural area.

For example, you won't see noise barriers this extreme elsewhere:

mcarling, WB2010, loloo liked this post
Old October 1st, 2014, 01:14 PM   #12758
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18772

Or this https://maps.google.pl/?ll=50.092772...,314.21,,0,3.2
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 02:09 PM   #12759
Venividi
BANNED

Sometimes they build barriers even when people don't want it. Like here
https://www.google.pl/maps/place/D%C...fdbb9e78f8a48c
I remember that there were some protests against barriers here (people claimed that barriers will obstruct the view from the road, so I think that's why they eventually built transparent ones here)

and sometimes if someone don't want those barriers in front of their house, they leave gaps, like here https://www.google.pl/maps/@54.50013...wwCbhotk3A!2e0
Venividi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 02:32 PM   #12760
Karaya

Likes (Received): 752

This is insane, you're transforming Poland to Gaza.

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road