daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #13181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19356

Most rural sprawl and ribbon development seems to be in southeastern Poland. But if you think that is bad, try Belgium.

The downsides of rural sprawl;
* difficult to build new infrastructure
* difficult to reconstruct existing roads
* you need much more road mileage per capita
* less efficient land use
* more expensive municipal services

I'm not really against suburban sprawl, as long as they build integrated neighborhoods with a regular density. 'sprawl' is often used pejoratively, but it caters to a demand of affordable and desireable housing. Polish cities, with their many apartment blocks, have a very low birth rate. The GUS forecasts that cities will lose population up to 2050, while the countryside would not lose much. A de-urbanization.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #13182
Karaya

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
omg Polish negativity is so tiring, it is starting to infect international threads.
I understand polish forum members since I'm also upset with insane urban sprawl. But at least polish people are able to build a straight road on the flat land. Something that we are not able to do. It is also true that this type of urban sprawl and high noise standards result in these horrible noise barriers everywhere.

Last edited by Karaya; November 9th, 2014 at 01:38 AM.
Karaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #13183
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19120

Quote:
omg Polish negativity is so tiring, it is starting to infect international threads. please give me a break and move to a country that is a perfect paradise on earth. I've travelled Poland, Europe and NA far and wide, and I really don't see such extensive sprawl or chaos in Poland. Yes it could be improved and yes they could curb advertising. Try driving outside the old city of Toronto where 3 million live in utter urban sprawl, where you have to drive miles to get to anything. sorry maybe it's just that I am getting too sensitive to exaggerated way Poles express themselves in any language, on the Polish thread and here, so generalized and negative in every way, it seems that they hate their country with an enormous passion, but no one else understands it.
I don't really mind suburban sprawl. It often provides cheap housing for the masses, be it Toronto, Texas or Wroclaw.

But I do mind ugly walls along the landscape in Poland. Even worse, we do build noise barriers bang along the city streets as well as in the middle of nowhere.

I find it particularly strange writing from the UK where shit single single glaze windows and crap insulation (well, often total lack of it) seems to be the norm and yet noise barriers are way, way, way less prevalent.
Then in Poland, where triple glaze windows are nowadays the norm and where we have quite well insulated houses, we also get those long, boring, crap noise walls.

Something, somewhere went really, really wrong along the way....

Last edited by geogregor; November 9th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #13184
salto_angel
Visionmonger

Likes (Received): 9366

Quote:
omg Polish negativity is so tiring, it is starting to infect international threads. please give me a break and move to a country that is a perfect paradise on earth. I've travelled Poland, Europe and NA far and wide, and I really don't see such extensive sprawl or chaos in Poland. Yes it could be improved and yes they could curb advertising. Try driving outside the old city of Toronto where 3 million live in utter urban sprawl, where you have to drive miles to get to anything. sorry maybe it's just that I am getting too sensitive to exaggerated way Poles express themselves in any language, on the Polish thread and here, so generalized and negative in every way, it seems that they hate their country with an enormous passion, but no one else understands it.
Well, it is not negativity. It is just the reality - please take a look at urban planning in any of the bigger or smaller cities in Poland and you'll see it. And it is not only about sprawl. It is about proper planning in the cities, very often in the stict city centers.

There is even a nice thread showing all stupidities in the planning in Poland: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1660101 Take a look and you'll find out what I am writing about. You may also google for 'Filip Springer' - he shows the bad urban planning just as it is happening.

Edit: Look at this: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=469 and please do not tell anymore it is proper urban planning.

TUMW

Karaya liked this post
salto_angel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #13185
čarli

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by salto_angel View Post
Seems you know little about Polish urban planning. It was the best or one of the best in Europe before WW2. Spend some time looking at Polish cities in Google maps and you'll find out it is going out of any standards.
And what kind of standard is good for you? To plan everything to the little details? For me is good planning, that on important (regional/state) roads won't every house have their own exit directly on that kind of roads, because that is very dangerous and also slows traffic. Other than that i don't care where and what they are bulilding on their land And i don't know why are you mentioning urban planning in Poland before WW2...

Kanadzie, RustySword liked this post
čarli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 03:36 PM   #13186
Karaya

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by salto_angel View Post
Edit: Look at this: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=469 and please do not tell anymore it is proper urban planning.
This is bad. It's nothing like urban sprawl in Toronto suburbs or Netherlands. Countries like Netherlands and Spain have really good tradition of urban planning but we in eastern Europe lost it after the WW2. It's hard for us now to fix these mistakes.
Karaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #13187
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82112

S17, Lublin Rudnik interchange

https://www.facebook.com/gddkia/phot...type=1&theater

Strzala, POLAMCO, ufonut, MichiH, Luki_SL and 11 others liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #13188
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

that little patch of trees in top left is amusing, it is like they planned to make 3rd loop of clover, so cleared but then decided, ah what the hell, make flyover ramp instead
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #13189
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 19063

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLAMCO View Post
Why you just don't go there and ask them are they happy to live without those freaking barriers? Yes, I want to puke too when I start to read your yelling. I propose move to this kind of place where you'll appreciate the sound of road freight from all over the Europe. 24/7, instead of heavy traffic ban days.

P.S.Poland=/=Holland=/=GB
Have you ever heard about that thing which is called 'urban sprawl costs'?

This picture shows exactly what that means. If you want more information, you can google it up, and I strongly advise you to do that, because now you are just talking like a typical populist.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 10:31 PM   #13190
maciek9207

Likes (Received): 158

New "super roads" in Podlaskie voivodeship.

Mini bypass called "Trasa Generalska" with new fragment in Białystok. (new road from 0:28 to 1:33).

Augustów bypass with new expressway S61 "Via Baltica".

Strzala, WB2010, loloo liked this post
maciek9207 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #13191
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

I see that Trasa Generalska is getting modernised every year.Also when we can expect motorway from Bialystok to Belarus border ?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #13192
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
when we can expect motorway from Bialystok to Belarus border ?
It's not on either the primary list or the reserve list for 2014-2020, so not before the 2020s.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 01:59 AM   #13193
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82112

The road accident statistics for October 2014 compared with October 2013. Nearly 100 people less were killed this year in this month.

In order:

Number of accidents
People killed
Accidents caused by drunk drivers
Drivers caught while driving drunk

JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 03:19 AM   #13194
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

A and S 2x2 roads in September 2013: 2376 kilometres

A and S 2x2 roads in September 2014: 2650 kilometres

93 people lives were saved in one month...

Urbanista1 liked this post
Strzala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #13195
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
that little patch of trees in top left is amusing
I like this one (on S11 Poznań bypass)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputevi kao hobi View Post
I see that Trasa Generalska is getting modernised every year.Also when we can expect motorway from Bialystok to Belarus border ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
It's not on either the primary list or the reserve list for 2014-2020, so not before the 2020s.
Actually such motorway is not on ANY list, there is the so-called "large bypass of Knyszyn primeval forest" instead:

Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #13196
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

I think that motorway is very needed there because
there is a big number of trucks.If you guys don't believe me you can check a video i have posted a couple pages behind.
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #13197
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

There are dozens of roads where there is a big number of trucks and we’ve got priorities, such as completing the existing network and/therefore connecting all voivodeships with the capital.
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #13198
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

I know that but this project is not going to be so expensive
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #13199
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

He is right, don't forget about all the new transport traffic to BY to supply the Byelorussian apples, kielbasa and squid for export

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
I like this one (on S11 Poznań bypass)
I like it too. I remember seeing it under construction here, then I went and actually visited it

I was kind of lost so I used 2 loops and went back to Poznan

There is a similar forest-interchange I use daily going home from work here in Canada, with decent number of trees, but we don't have that kind of very dense spacing of trees here...
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #13200
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19356

There is a massive new update of imagery of Poland in Google Earth that was released on 8 November.

https://maps.google.com/gallery/deta...g.kz3qtKM-Oia4

Kurów interchange:

Kępno interchange:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, WB2010, not2bad, loloo, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; November 12th, 2014 at 12:30 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road