daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #13621
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Bridge on Vistula river (DW747)

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/Drogoweinfo

Luki_SL, Rombi, loloo, SRC_100, Nowax and 2 others liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:26 PM   #13622
rakcancer

DTS in winter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateuszBobola View Post
proszę uprzejmie

1. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

2. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

3. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

4. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

5. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

6. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

7. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

8. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

9. foto: Krzysztof Krzemiński / gliwice.gazeta.pl

Fotorelacja wstawiona automatycznie.

loloo, SRC_100, Nowax, Deo, Qwert liked this post
Old January 5th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #13623
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

I just came back from a little road trip. Parts in Poland:
https://goo.gl/maps/NYazT

Spontaneous thoughts:
- A4 between the German border and Wroclaw is horrible. Narrow, almost no shoulders, service areas too small (cars piled up to the exit), exits in right angles. But the drivers don't care and drive 140 km/h anyway --> are there plans to reconstruct the whole section?
- Why is A4 until Wroclaw category "A" while e.g. S8 is much better. What's the criteria for a road to be "A" or "S"?

POL-UKR border:
- It's unbelievable slow because of the Polish part of the border (both, Berdyszcze and Korczowa). There is no system, bad information, no one is motivated to work, no English knowledge (glad that Ukrainian is close to Polish). Is it a topic in Poland or no one cares?
- When you cross the border in Korczowa you come from a perfect road (A4) to a broken one (M10 to L'viv). In the north it's the other way round: from Kovel' to the border is not that bad while on the Polish site it's like in the third world. Is the S12 on that section cancelled? I mean it's the main road from Warsaw to Kyiv. Or no one cares? Looks like the road to L'viv is more important.
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #13624
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18821

Quote:
Why is A4 until Wroclaw category "A" while e.g. S8 is much better. What's the criteria for a road to be "A" or "S"?
It was built in '30s by the 3rd Reich. It gained the "A" status in Poland a long time ago, I think the parameters of A and S class roads weren't even specified back then And it remained as an "A" road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
are there plans to reconstruct the whole section?
Yes. There is even a chance that reconstruction will start before 2020...

Quote:
In the north it's the other way round: from Kovel' to the border is not that bad while on the Polish site it's like in the third world. Is the S12 on that section cancelled? I mean it's the main road from Warsaw to Kyiv. Or no one cares? Looks like the road to L'viv is more important.
Is DK 12 really so bad? The part in Chełm is indeed like in third world, but the rest seems to be in good condition.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM   #13625
eeee.

You're right. When I look in Street View it seems that only the parts around Chelm are bad.
https://goo.gl/maps/6u6Wz
https://goo.gl/maps/bn9gS

Maybe that impression got stuck in my head because on the same day we drove to Lublin where some roads have grooves holes. Or maybe just because it was unexpected due to the fact that most main roads are in a great condition.
Old January 5th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #13626
rakcancer

Chelm bypass is in bad conditions because it is planned entirely new S12 bypass.

This is a priority on waiting list for next years. However there are some works taking place at the present to improve existing DK12. Some pictures from polish forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goral_kamil View Post
Z różnych powodów nie było przez jakiś czas fotek z mojej strony, ale dzisiaj się wybrałem. Pogoda nie sprzyja, ale mam nadzieję, że da się coś zobaczyć na fotkach.

1. Rondo Dmowskiego ma wyglądać tak, a stan faktyczny na ten moment przedstawią następne zdjęcia.

2. Wjazd z Lubelskiej na rondo...

3. ... i zjazd na Lubelską.

4. Prawoskręt Lubelska -> Rejowiecka zastawiony maszynami.

5. Tutaj wlot prawoskrętu z ul. Zawadówka w Lubelską.

6. To samo połączenie trochę dalej. Dopiero w kruszywie.

7. Chodnik/ ścieżka rowerowa. Ma być w okół całego ronda.

Cdn ...
Old January 5th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #13627
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

@eeee. What do you think about A4 after Wroclaw?
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:23 PM   #13628
jtybinka

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
I just came back from a little road trip. Parts in Poland:
https://goo.gl/maps/NYazT

Spontaneous thoughts:
- A4 between the German border and Wroclaw is horrible. Narrow, almost no shoulders,
Horrible is very exterme word , horrible is DK18 south line
1)there are 2 part Wroclaw - Krzyzowa and Krzyzowa - border , part Krzywa border is new and perfect
2)surface is very good almost all the way, it`s maybe 10 years old , it`s concrete , for concrete it`s nothing like new (maybe few kilometres Krzywa - Krzyzowa is older and not perfect)
3)narrow , how can you say it`s narrow ? from the car it`s not possible to see, even regular main roads (class G , droga glowna) have 3,5 wide lines , expressway S-class same 3,5 metres , motorways A class3,75 meters. Even if they did lower G class/S class standard it`s still 3,5 metre. I don`t believe you are able see 25 cm difference, you saying S8 is good but S8 is 3,5 metre and is not narrow for you ?
4)parkings/emergency lines that`s true
5)why not S class ? what would be sense to make A4 from Korczowa to Wroclaw then S4 from Wrocla to Krzyzowa , then again A4 from Krzyzowa to border ? that`s nonsens
I was triving by this road 200 times and believe me there are 20 much bigger problems in Poland then A4 to Krzyzowa , it`s 10 times better then famous D1 Praha - Brno

This road is not perfect but in most Europeans countries would be quite descent road
not perfect but still good.
It`s better then A1 motorways to Rome in Italy which has much worse surface
If it`s horrible would word would we use for A1 to Rome ?

A4 https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...98d78c7223aac1

A1 Italy https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...0f770693656e38

Last edited by jtybinka; January 5th, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
jtybinka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #13629
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I don't mind the A4 west of Wrocław, the 110km/h limit is fine and it's never intolerable. The junctions are a bit rubbish, but all in all, there are far worse roads. But I think he refers to the A18 when it talks about it being in terrible condition, not the lovely new A4. In fairness, I think an S4 title would make far more sense, but I guess that as it always was autostrada, it would be silly to downgrade it now.

I'd like to know more about the comments about the border being a disgrace on the Polish side. I thought the Polish border crossings had mostly been sorted out and modernised now?
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 12:13 AM   #13630
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I don't mind the A4 west of Wrocław, the 110km/h limit is fine and it's never intolerable.
Actually, I wouldn't say that this limit is tolerable either, as it was put in place between Krzyzowa and Legnica especially for wild animals, which are often crossing the motorway mostly during night time, making it very dangerous even at 110 km/h > There are no fencing there, but many forests are cut through. Still, nobody even thought of installing a barrier since the 1930's .

For my part, everytime I was travelling on this section at night, I've always seen some wild game lying near the roadway, particularly boars. Btw., I was witness of a truck driving before me, hitting and killing 3 big boars in one strike (driving at only 90-100 km/h)! You could imagine the damage it would have done to an automobile...

On this A4 section damage to a car from wild animals

Lying boar on A4
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #13631
eeee.

There was a lot more traffic from the German border to Wroclaw than afterwards. I don't know if it was only because of the holidays and a lot of Poles living in Western Europe came back for Christmas - or if that is standard. Plus: harsh winds on both days (there and back) - without space left and right it gives you the feeling that it's narrow.

e.g.
https://goo.gl/maps/FAIJb
https://goo.gl/maps/7A3pt

About the mentioned roads in other countries: I know only the D1 in CZ and yes, compared to that the A4 West of Wroclaw is like heaven. But I just compared it to other Polish roads which are mostly enjoyable.

POL/UKR border:
The border buildings look new. The problem is not the infrastructure but the organisation. e.g.: five lanes are open but in only two lanes you can show your documents. So everyone runs crisscross and the officers send you from one point to the next and back without explanation what to do. With a little bit more information and organisation the waiting times could be much lower (record so far: 4h in Korczowa).
Last year I talked to someone at the border who already travelled by car to Ukraine around 20 times. He said the Polish borders are much worse than the Slovakian or Hungarian ones.

(Not very representative, but let's say there is room for improvement.)
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #13632
jtybinka

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
. But I just compared it to other Polish roads which are mostly enjoyable.
OK , got your point.
If you compare to other Polish motorways/expressways that`s true that`s the worst part, but all Polish motorways/expressways are new , there were almost no such roads before 1998 that`s why the standard is high
But if you compare to other countries in Europe that have motorways for 40 even 50 years like Italy , Germany or even Czech Republic then Polish A4 is good. In all countris there are many different standards , for instance in Hungary they have very descent motorways netowrk and they are building new M86 Gyor - Szombathely , and it will have so called soft emergency lines which in fact will be same like Polish A4 west from Wroclaw , so what I want to say no emergency lines is nothing unusuall in Europe
The link you placed , in URL I see picture comes from Switzerland , even there seems to me the width of the line is same standard 3,5 - 3,75 m maybe. So I think emergency line the fact that you feel it`s wider but in fact it`s the same

By the way missing fencing is the biggest problem on this part of A4

Last edited by jtybinka; January 6th, 2015 at 01:45 PM.
jtybinka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #13633
tomibaranek

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtybinka View Post
Horrible is very exterme word , horrible is DK18 south line
1)there are 2 part Wroclaw - Krzyzowa and Krzyzowa - border , part Krzywa border is new and perfect
2)surface is very good almost all the way, it`s maybe 10 years old , it`s concrete , for concrete it`s nothing like new (maybe few kilometres Krzywa - Krzyzowa is older and not perfect)
3)narrow , how can you say it`s narrow ? from the car it`s not possible to see, even regular main roads (class G , droga glowna) have 3,5 wide lines , expressway S-class same 3,5 metres , motorways A class3,75 meters. Even if they did lower G class/S class standard it`s still 3,5 metre. I don`t believe you are able see 25 cm difference, you saying S8 is good but S8 is 3,5 metre and is not narrow for you ?
4)parkings/emergency lines that`s true
5)why not S class ? what would be sense to make A4 from Korczowa to Wroclaw then S4 from Wrocla to Krzyzowa , then again A4 from Krzyzowa to border ? that`s nonsens
I was triving by this road 200 times and believe me there are 20 much bigger problems in Poland then A4 to Krzyzowa , it`s 10 times better then famous D1 Praha - Brno

This road is not perfect but in most Europeans countries would be quite descent road
not perfect but still good.
It`s better then A1 motorways to Rome in Italy which has much worse surface
If it`s horrible would word would we use for A1 to Rome ?

A4 https://www.google.com/maps/place/Go...98d78c7223aac1

A1 Italy https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...0f770693656e38
w koncu ktos temu ukraincowi odpisal rzeczowo, facet wylal swoje zale jakby przez te kilkanascie lat nic sie u nas na drogach nie zmienilo, drogi be, stacje za male, na granicy polskim celnikom nie chce sie pracowac, inne drogi syf... koles chyba zapomnial jaki dopiero syf maja na wschod od korczowej
wystarczy popatrzec jak UA'ni jezdza u nas na A4 (lewy pas), najlepsze ze na pierwszych swiatlach w Wojniczu po przejechaniu obwodnicy Tarnowa ukraincy pytali mnie kiedys gdzie sa bramki do zaplacenia za autostrade hahaha
tomibaranek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #13634
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

This is an English language forum.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #13635
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18821

It's just some bullsh*t, you didn't miss anything
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #13636
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I think the reason this happens so often is the bilingual forum titles. In my opinion, the forum titles should be English-only.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #13637
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

How much impact has winter weather had so far on road construction in Poland? It appears to be a rather mild winter so far.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #13638
salto_angel
Visionmonger

Likes (Received): 9385

mild? Rather snowy recently.

TUMW
salto_angel está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #13639
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19421

Warsaw was at or above freezing for most of December: http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #13640
salto_angel
Visionmonger

Likes (Received): 9385

well, Warsaw is not "the top of the world"

We had some serious snow fall recently and the temperatures now fall below zero C, so I would expect the construction in many places would stop for few weeks at least. And this is taken into account the tender process where the building time is "X" months not calculating winter time.

TUMW
salto_angel está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road