daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #14581
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't think either party will drastically change direction in regard of highway construction. There's too much prestige at stake and there seems to be little if any opposition to the motorway plan of Poland.
No, actually, I'd say that the current opposition is a huge threat to some of the plans. They will absolutely not put any money towards the S6 (as the belt running from Szczecin to Gdansk is very heavily pro-government) and the S10 (likewise), and other projects such as the western bypass of Łódź might also be scrapped. I'd bet on them building projects such as Rzeszów-Lublin instead - simply to reward their voters.

The huge question that no-one is mentioning is what the plans are for the motorway and expressway network in terms of tolling. The current government cannot announce any plans now, but I would bet good money on the opposition announcing that road tolls are to be scrapped while slyly sticking 10 Euro cent on every litre of fuel. The problem with them is that they have a lot of unfunded promises - and with fuel taxes being as low as possible (at least for diesel) - it's an obvious target.

Quote:
The biggest threat may be the European Union, which plans to spend way too much money on rail projects compared to motorways.
It's not all a bad thing - PKP Intercity has seen a huge increase in numbers, and the EU looks like it will help to deliver a reasonable network here. Certainly, the new train stations are mostly very, very attractive places.

On the Polish SSC, they seem to believe the same thing - that the opposition will route all the available money into the east. It would seem to be absolutely vital right now for the Wielkopolska branch of the GDDKiA to get the entire S5 tendered before the elections - otherwise we might end up with some stupid gap for years to come, which will only get worse as the rest of the S5 encourages more and more traffic on the Poznań-Wrocław route.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #14582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

The recently released motorway plan (by the current government) included pretty much all planned motorways in the east, even those which are not really a priority (such as S12 & S17 to the Ukrainian border, S19 south of Białystok and S74).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
It's not all a bad thing - PKP Intercity has seen a huge increase in numbers, and the EU looks like it will help to deliver a reasonable network here. Certainly, the new train stations are mostly very, very attractive places.
What you'll see is a very imbalanced spending, such as 50-60% of budget on 5-10% of modal share. This even happens in the United States. It's not to say that they shouldn't spend any money on rail projects at all, but you'll get a much bigger bang out of every złoty if it is spent where it is most useful.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Blackraven liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #14583
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
I don't think either party will drastically change direction in regard of highway construction.
Depending on the election results, there could be very different levels of competency, corruption, and rewarding/punishment of constituencies. I just hope that as many contracts as possible will be signed before massive corruption sets in. Road building in Poland could easily become like road building in CZ depending on the election results. Until the election is over, plans for the 2020s have limited predictive value.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #14584
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
No, actually, I'd say that the current opposition is a huge threat to some of the plans. They will absolutely not put any money towards the S6 (as the belt running from Szczecin to Gdansk is very heavily pro-government) and the S10 (likewise), and other projects such as the western bypass of Łódź might also be scrapped. I'd bet on them building projects such as Rzeszów-Lublin instead - simply to reward their voters.
Would this be particularly bad? My impression (but only that) would be S6 is relatively low need and Rzeszow-Lublin to be if anything more needed, that road sucks and an extra A4 connection would be nice...
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #14585
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I just hope that as many contracts as possible will be signed before massive corruption sets in.
What kind of corruption are you talking about? Do you know anything we don't know? Maybe that is a problem in Czech Republic. I don't see that on massive scale in Poland. If anything changes because other party (PiS) wins which is not obvious at all then priorities could shift to the east like finishing whole S19 for example.

Kanadzie liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #14586
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
My impression (but only that) would be S6 is relatively low need and Rzeszow-Lublin to be if anything more needed, that road sucks and an extra A4 connection would be nice...
I would say neither whole S6 is nor whole S19 is urgently needed. S19 only between Rzeszow and Lublin makes sense and S6 between Gdansk and Slupsk. The rest of S6 and then the rest of S19 is definitely lesser priority at the present.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #14587
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 19067

Quote:

The biggest threat may be the European Union, which plans to spend way too much money on rail projects compared to motorways.
Threat?

Right now state of infrastructure in Poland is shifting - roads are getting pretty good, train connections are awful.
From what i remember Berlins S-Bahn had more than twice as much clients as whole polish railways combined. And that is mostly thanks to awful shape of rail infrastructure as well as rapid need for new connections, especially in eastern Poland (former russian part).

This 2014-2022 plan is bad. Too much moneyz for roads, not enough for rails.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Deadeye Reloaded, Sponsor liked this post
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #14588
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17434

>>> Poland - raliways
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #14589
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
What kind of corruption are you talking about? Do you know anything we don't know? Maybe that is a problem in Czech Republic. I don't see that on massive scale in Poland.
That's because some parties are mostly corrupt and some are mostly not corrupt. I don't want this to turn into a political discussion, so I won't go any further down that road. The point is that one of the things at stake in the election is that road construction can continue to be relatively clean, fast, and efficient -- or not. The voters will decide.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #14590
mdhookey

Likes (Received): 35

What was Law and Justice's infrastructure policy when they were in power before? Not meant to be a political question, but just was curious of their record.
mdhookey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #14591
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhookey View Post
What was Law and Justice's infrastructure policy when they were in power before? Not meant to be a political question, but just was curious of their record.
The problem is that they've swung massively to the left since then, and the hatred among their electorate for the type of people that actually use motorways and expressways is ridiculous. They're now in some sort of formal alliance with the worst (and biggest?) trade union - which means that they will pour money into pork barrel projects instead of focusing on the bigger picture.

Essentially, what mccarling is trying to say is that the Law and Justice party is known for nepotism and local corruption. The President, only a few days ago, was found out to have used public money to fly to Poznań and stay in hotels while on "parliamentary business". His home constituency is in Kraków, and he had no reason to be here 11 times within a couple of years. He claimed to be visiting the local boss of Law and Justice, but... just so coincidentally, he was actually teaching at a private university on those weekends. He's denied it, but the evidence is all there, including his yearly financial declarations.

What they will do (and this is exactly what happened last time) is replace all the competent managers with loyal party people. So the GDDKiA for instance can expect to have the national management and regional management replaced with their friends - not chosen fairly, but chosen because of who they are. It's part of their so called "TKM" or "Teraz k***a My*" philosophy - which translates roughly as "Now it's our f*****g turn".

This is why it's absolutely vital for the GDDKiA to sign as many contracts as possible before the election. If the contracts are signed, the roads will get built.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 01:22 PM   #14592
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19147

At the moment it is really hard to judge what will really happen. And this is the biggest reason why I'm careful with any plans going longer than next 3-4 years.

If contracts are not signed everything might happen. We might be positively surprised and transition will be fairly smooth but I'm betting for big changes in the top GDDKiA management. Both, in the main headquarters, and in the regions. A lot will depend on those new appointments.
We can well go the Czech way with construction and tendering painfully slow and management changes pretty much every year.
It doesn't have to be that bad but it well might. Will see.

Also, it is worth remembering about the elephant in the room which is the awful shape of the coal mining industry. At the moment government is trying to bully energy companies to bailout the virtually bankrupt coal mining. They resist. Law and Justice is big friend of the coal mining unions. I can see a lot of money being thrown into that drain (as well as some other throwaways for the public) with less for crucial infrastructure spending.

We will have to wait and see. And keep fingers crossed for signing as many contracts as possible in the next month or two.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #14593
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18751

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhookey View Post
Have you heard about the Rospuda Valley conflict? It was their biggest achievement...

Nobody mentioned it here yet:
A contract was signed with Strabag for construction of A1 north from Pyrzowice:

A1: Woźniki – Pyrzowice (S1) 15.2km (September 2015 to November 2018) – ? – map
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 07:33 PM   #14594
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Will Drogowa Trasa Średnicowa in Gliwice open in September 2015 as planned?

http://www.dts-sa.pl/kolumna-lewa/pr...ash=5a97fce025
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 08:21 PM   #14595
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17434

No, Drogowa Trasa Średnicowa should be open at the beginning of the 2016. The construction works should be finished to the end of the year.
Old September 1st, 2015, 10:00 PM   #14596
Kemo

Originally it was planned to be completed in December 2014...
Old September 2nd, 2015, 12:43 AM   #14597
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82112

Works on the Battle of Warsaw 1920 street in Warsaw

SRC_100, Blackraven, Beck's liked this post
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #14598
Kemo

Modernisation of DK8/S8 in Warsaw (including widening of Grota-Roweckiego bridge to 10 lanes: 3+2+2+3) is about to finish.

Here's a video from Metrostav:

Last edited by Kemo; September 6th, 2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old September 5th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #14599
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
8 lanes - 3+2+2+3

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:19 PM   #14600
db84

Likes (Received): 2242

The inner 2x2 lanes are the expressway S8 through-Warsaw passage. The outer 2x3 lanes are the city's street.

LMB liked this post
db84 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road