daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2016, 06:57 PM   #15321
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
False.
I am sure you will demonstrate us, how Poland is not in the EU leading countries in road fatalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
You seriously claim Poland had access to any significant (in the context of infrastructure investments) EU funds in 1998, a decade before we started serious construction on our road network? Is that a joke, or are you seriously this misinformed? First significant EU funding came to Poland in 2004-2006 perspective. Those funds were nowhere near what we got in 2007-2013.
Truth is that Poland could and should have built, or at least started their motorway network much earlier - they had the money for it.
By doing so, tens of thousands of lives would have been saved, and hundreds of thousands injuries, including paralysis for life, would have been avoided.
But of course, road deaths as well as road pirates and criminals weren't an issue at all for the government/legislators until recently (with a lot of pressure from Western Europe) and even...
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #15322
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

per million inhabitants (I don't like the measure but anyway)
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-4656_en.htm

Poland: 84
Latvia: 106
Lithuania: 90
Romania: 91
Bulgaria: 90

is just not true...

of course, Germany is listed at 42. But what does Germany have, lots of roads without speed limits!

db84 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #15323
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19357

The 2015 rate would now be closer to 73 fatalities per 1 million people. Which is similar to Belgium in 2012. Now, Belgium is the unsafest country in western Europe, but it's moving in the right direction at a relatively fast pace. As recent as 2008 the fatality rate per 1 million was nearly twice that of 2015.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #15324
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19120

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
Still, Poland is on the TOP of EU road fatalities rates .
Quote:
I am sure you will demonstrate us, how Poland is not in the EU leading countries in road fatalities.
So, the top country or one of the leading ones???
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #15325
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
So, the top country or one of the leading ones???
And what? it's ONE of the TOP of EU road fatalities rates anyway - and it's on the TOP of the largest countries in EU - all others are much smaller.
Precisely, 5th "best" country out of 28 .
Nothing to be proud of - well, except if you're a road "pirate" .
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #15326
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 4597

Quote:
Truth is that Poland could and should have built, or at least started their motorway network much earlier - they had the money for it.
When exactly Anyway the truth is EU is at least partially to blame since until recently we had much less cars on our roads, so our infrastructure was somehow less inadequate. Now almost anybody can buy some used crap from WE resulting both in more accidents and injuries/deaths
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #15327
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

was better with a rusty Syrena as opposed to rusty Polo?
Old March 5th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #15328
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
When exactly Anyway the truth is EU is at least partially to blame since until recently we had much less cars on our roads, so our infrastructure was somehow less inadequate. Now almost anybody can buy some used crap from WE resulting both in more accidents and injuries/deaths
and pollution. it should be illegal to sell cars in EU that do not meet emission standards.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

mcarling, geogregor, ukraroad liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #15329
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 2015 rate would now be closer to 73 fatalities per 1 million people. Which is similar to Belgium in 2012. Now, Belgium is the unsafest country in western Europe, but it's moving in the right direction at a relatively fast pace. As recent as 2008 the fatality rate per 1 million was nearly twice that of 2015.
But, it's Belgian beer that is to blame . If it wasn't so strong and so goddamn good - nothing in Poland is comparable, even vodka - there won't be so many drunk drivers and less accidents .
Recently, more than half of the drivers controlled in Brussels were positive to the alcoometer: and drive .

ukraroad liked this post
Old March 6th, 2016, 01:24 PM   #15330
NejcB

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Recently, more than half of the drivers controlled in Brussels were positive to the alcoometer: and drive .
During the last "weekend without alcohol" on 18th of January 34.849 drivers were tested. 1,46% of drivers were above 0,8 and 0,82% were between 0,5 and 0,8.

Hard facts please.

geogregor, hammersklavier, sponge_bob liked this post
NejcB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 02:14 PM   #15331
geogregor

Quote:
And what?
I was just asking which of your statements was true as you have strange ability of bending facts to fit your statements.

The same with your bollocks about "more than half of the drivers controlled in Brussels were positive to the alcoometer".

Which is simply not true, as another poster already mentioned:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NejcB View Post
During the last "weekend without alcohol" on 18th of January 34.849 drivers were tested. 1,46% of drivers were above 0,8 and 0,82% were between 0,5 and 0,8.

Hard facts please.
So, Poland is not TOP EU country regarding road fatalities and no, no "more than half of the drivers controlled in Brussels were positive to the alcoometer".

Just to make some things clear
Old March 6th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #15332
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
I was just asking which of your statements was true as you have strange ability of bending facts to fit your statements.

The same with your bollocks about "more than half of the drivers controlled in Brussels were positive to the alcoometer".

Which is simply not true, as another poster already mentioned:
Actually, you can blame JanVL for giving false statements:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
- Flanders: 23.801 checked - 6% drunken
- Wallonia: 9.898 checked - 16.3% drunken
- Brussels: 4.957 checked - 59% drunken

http://www.carguide.be/guide-auto-au...an-vlaanderen/
I double checked, and translated the original statement from Dutch, an it was saying: 5% were checked positive - Now, I will have to always check again every information coming from JanVL .

Quote:
So, Poland is not TOP EU country regarding road fatalities and no, no "more than half of the drivers controlled in Brussels were positive to the alcoometer".

Just to make some things clear
No way dude! Poland is on the EU leading part in road fatalities and Poland is one of the TOP countries where roads are the deadliest and most dangerous in whole EU .

But you know what, you can always pretend to be deaf and blind, claim that this is wrong, for cons, it will no way change the reality .

ukraroad, LMB liked this post

Last edited by John Maynard; March 7th, 2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:37 PM   #15333
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Actually, you can blame JanVL for giving false statements:

I double checked, and translated the original statement from Dutch, an it was saying: 5% were checked positive - Now, I will have to always check again every information coming from JanVL .

No way dude! Poland is on the leading part in road fatalities and Poland is one of the TOP countries where roads are the deadliest and most dangerous in whole EU .

But you know what, you can always pretend to be deaf and blind, claim that this is wrong, for cons, it will no way change the reality .
The fact is, however, Poland is safer from a traffic-safety standpoint than the US ... and getting safer every day.

Not that that's much of an accomplishment.

So stop complaining.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #15334
JanVL

Likes (Received): 82112

Little mistake indeed, my bad
JanVL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:37 AM   #15335
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluminat View Post
Now almost anybody can buy some used crap from WE resulting both in more accidents and injuries/deaths
If they are crap (unsafe) that is simply because Poland has a crap car testing system. A proper car testing system would have the rubbish off the roads.

geogregor, LMB liked this post
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #15336
John Maynard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
The fact is, however, Poland is safer from a traffic-safety standpoint than the US ... and getting safer every day.

Not that that's much of an accomplishment.

So stop complaining.
But, you know what: it is much harder in EU to obtain a driver's license than it is in the USA - I guess you could get a license in a day in many States, unimaginable in almost if not all EU states, where you have to have a compulsory minimum of a few dozens of hours of theoretical/practical/road safety courses before even applying for a test exam; plus in some countries, a few dozen of hours afterwards to get a full driver's license, and a probation period of a few years. Therefore, one should compare apples to apples.

Also, but don't take it as a statement: young Americans can get a car driver's license already at 16 years old in most States (even 14 y.o. for a limited license in some States) and have access to much powerful cars than their average young counterparts in Europe - famous inexpensive "muscle cars" among others, but generally too. So the problem may be there as well .
In Poland, on the other side, many youngsters do have "crappy" cars - often the first or second in the family - sometime with cheap motor power modification, and some of them drive them like complete nuts, totally irrespectfully of law and without any consideration for others .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVL View Post
Little mistake indeed, my bad

ukraroad liked this post
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:50 AM   #15337
geogregor

Quote:
No way dude! Poland is on the EU leading part in road fatalities and Poland is one of the TOP countries where roads are the deadliest and most dangerous in whole EU .

I'm not saying that Poland has one of the safest roads in Europe. I agree that we have still quite a way to go. Personally I feel much safer driving in the UK or Ireland than I do in Poland and when I am a pedestrian (which means most of the time) I think the distance is even greater.
But, it doesn't change the fact that things are improving and Poland is heading in the right direction. Give it a bit of credit.

Quote:
But, you know what: it is much harder in EU to obtain a driver's license than it is in the USA - I guess you could get a license in a day in many States, unimaginable in almost if not all EU states, where you have to have a compulsory minimum of a few dozens of hours of theoretical/practical/road safety courses before even applying for a test exam; plus in some countries, a few dozen of hours afterwards to get a full driver's license, and a probation period of a few years. Therefore, one should compare apples to apples.

Also, but don't take it as a statement: young Americans can get a car driver's license already at 16 years old in most States (even 14 y.o. for a limited license in some States) and have access to much powerful cars than their average young counterparts in Europe - famous inexpensive "muscle cars" among others, but generally too. So the problem may be there as well .
USA is a strange case. On paper their statistics are worse than in many European countries but when I drive there I don't feel that much difference. Lane discipline is a bit of an issue but otherwise it feels that people drive slower than in Europe (with the exception of the greater LA ) and I didn't notice any particularly dangerous habits. Maybe I missed something?

Quote:
In Poland, on the other side, many youngsters do have "crappy" cars - often the first or second in the family - sometime with cheap motor power modification, and some of them drive them like complete nuts, totally irrespectfully of law and without any consideration for others .

Every country has its share of youngsters who think they are immortal.
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #15338
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
If they are crap (unsafe) that is simply because Poland has a crap car testing system. A proper car testing system would have the rubbish off the roads.
Not youngsters only
40% of RJA or RP or RLU or RPR or RPZ cars is such trash made in 1980s-1990s bought by Ukrainians for grosze(comparing with Ukraine). I also saw a rusty Zhyguli from Krakow. And there are still lots of that small **** like Polonaise riding on the roads. Unfortunately it is not precisely controlled

Last edited by ukraroad; March 7th, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #15339
DannyBoy85

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

Do you have a study for that statement? How can you judge without formal support? Do all young drivers drive nuts?

and802 liked this post
DannyBoy85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #15340
LMB
Once BMW, always Honda

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBoy85 View Post
Do you have a study for that statement? How can you judge without formal support? Do all young drivers drive nuts?
No, not at all . The fact that drivers under 25 pay 150% to 250% more for insurance is just injustice, right?

No, it's statistics.
LMB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road