daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #15761
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
class DK 44 as a lower priority?
Would that lower traffic, noise or solve problem with ashes? I don't think so.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:42 AM   #15762
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Wasn't it a possibility to build the access road to Oświęcim on the north side of the town, farther from Auschwitz?
Hard to say, I did not have the opportunity to evaluate all analyzed alignments.

And keep in mind that actually it is not an access road, but bypass of the city and several villages between Bieruń and Oświęcim. DK44 is an important regional road connecting Lesser Poland and Upper Silesia. If you look to the west, around Bieruń, Tychy (FIAT plant), its a 2x2 highway.

I made a sketch of S1 and DK44 around Oświęcim on this map: http://mapa.miastodukty.pl/

In the window to the right tick "Drogi krajowe, wybrane regionalne i miejskie" and zoom to Oświęcim.
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #15763
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Expressway S12 - second stage of Puławy bypass/connection with S17:

Quote:

Part of excavations from bronze age (1500 years ago) & stone age (10 000 years ago):

http://s17-pulawy.pl/index.php/10-ga...-czerwiec-2016

Last edited by Strzala; July 6th, 2016 at 08:38 PM.
Strzala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #15764
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

it always amazes me how archeologists know where to dig, or is it just luck sometimes like that Viking horde found by a farmer in England.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #15765
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

I know the archeological process in Canada involves various "stages" - stage one is required which is a basic review of records to see if there is any potential of archeological artefacts. They look at known native travel routes, historic maps, etc.. Stage 2 is a visual inspection of the site, stage 3 is small digs made at specific intervals across the site, stage 4 a full on archeological dig. Projects only go to the stage deemed required, though all must go through stage 1.

It might be a bit more difficult for Europe though given the much deeper levels of history. Most of Canada only has 200 years of European history, and Native American history before that is very poorly recorded and leaves very little in terms of artefacts.

Urbanista1, Blackraven liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #15766
toonczyk
autostradożerca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It might be a bit more difficult for Europe though given the much deeper levels of history. Most of Canada only has 200 years of European history, and Native American history before that is very poorly recorded and leaves very little in terms of artefacts.
In Poland if you just picked a spot at random and started digging, there's actually a pretty good chance you'd find something. People have been farming these lands for some 7000 years, so there's a lot of stuff buried around. The trick is to find stuff that has any historical value, not just a bucket used to carry manure in 15th century
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #15767
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

A1 Strykow - Rzgow

More: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post133861920
a za oknem słonko świeci.

ChrisZwolle, Luki_SL, Nowax, SRC_100, baderman and 6 others liked this post
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #15768
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Such beautiful, clear motorway exit signage - I love it

Kpc21, MilkChocholate liked this post
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #15769
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

If only they would use the exit / interchange symbol more consistently and correctly.

Advance signs use the interchange symbol. Exit signs use the exit symbol. And the exit symbol is also used at the A1-S8 interchange. Distance signs use the interchange symbol for regular exits.

Have they rolled the exit numbering out more broadly now? I've seen those exit numbers in the Łódź and Kowal area.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

rakcancer, loloo liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #15770
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

At least I haven't seen them on A4 at all
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #15771
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If only they would use the exit / interchange symbol more consistently and correctly.

Advance signs use the interchange symbol. Exit signs use the exit symbol. And the exit symbol is also used at the A1-S8 interchange. Distance signs use the interchange symbol for regular exits.

Have they rolled the exit numbering out more broadly now? I've seen those exit numbers in the Łódź and Kowal area.
Adding to that comment: there is too much info on on each sign. Too many names, numbers...almost like there is a need to use as much sign space as possible and fill it all the way from the top to the bottom... Just put the name of exit, number and arrow - clear and big. There is no need to put on exit signs info about what is to be expected far ahead.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 02:04 AM   #15772
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris80678 View Post
Such beautiful, clear motorway exit signage - I love it
This is still experimental signage, used only on a section (luckily quite long) of the A1. But it is going to be introduced officialy to the regulations.

There is a project created a few years ago by Polish SSC users:
http://drogowskazclassic.pl/przyklady.php
http://drogowskazclassic.pl/wezel.php
(descriptions are Polish-only, but Google Translate may help if you want to read that)

And, I am not sure about that, but from I know, this signage introduced on the A1 is actually a result of trying to persuade the clerks in the government to introduce the SSC project. They couldn't agree to introduce everything, but it's anyway much better than what we had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
At least I haven't seen them on A4 at all
Yes, because it's still experimental signage.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 07:23 AM   #15773
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaciej7 View Post
I know it's pronounced as "Vrotz-waff".........but I still like saying it as "Row-Claw". It sounds cute imho

Chris80678, ukraroad liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #15774
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Wroclaw (Vrotswav) is where I would like to go this year for a visit because it is the European Capital of Culture for 2016

Last edited by Chris80678; July 8th, 2016 at 03:39 PM.
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #15775
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I know it's pronounced as "Vrotz-waff".........but I still like saying it as "Row-Claw". It sounds cute imho
What about ŁÓDŹ? It is even better. In easter Slavic nations it is called Лодзь(Lodz)
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #15776
mr.cool

Likes (Received): 824

Are there any documents showing how much of Poland's budget has been spent already from their new EU budget (2014-2020) on contracts?

Also, are there any new contracts to be signed in the coming weeks/months of 2016?
mr.cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #15777
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Experimental signage is currently on 2 sections of A1, one north of A1/A2 interchange between Lodz and Torun and one near Lodz.

The first one you can see here:

The second one (introduced on A1 bypass of Lodz) is here:

Can you spot any differences ?

Look at the directional arrows on both signs. They have been "fattened up" to be better visible to the drivers. This was one of the requests/recommendations to GDDKiA coming from our forum

Rombi, Kpc21, ukraroad, seszele liked this post
ufonut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 01:21 AM   #15778
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

wow

Now you just need to get them to use the American arrow style and we will be set

loloo, ukraroad liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #15779
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
What about ŁÓDŹ? It is even better. In easter Slavic nations it is called Лодзь(Lodz)
More or less "Wooch".

Лодзь in the Cyrilic alphabet is also good. Although nowadays Лудзь would be a better equivalent. It's the issue of language evolution. The letter ó used to denote a long o in the past, but the pronounciation has shifted towards u throughout the time, and now, from around 1900, it's pronounced exactly in the same way as u (oo in English). By the way, I suppose that the history of the English "oo" was similar, although in English just the u is often pronounced as "yu", which doesn't happen in Polish.

Wooch would be almost ideal, except for that "ch". In Polish we have sounds "cz" and "ć", which are both similar to the English "ch" (like in cherry). English "ch" is close to Polish "cz", but it goes a little bit towards Polish "ć". "Cz" and "ć" are pronounced in a similar way, but for "cz" you have your tongue near your teeth, for "ć" it touches the roof of your mouth (palate).

Actually, in the word Łódź you have its "tougher" equivalent, not "cz" and "ć" (being equivalent of English "ch" like in cherry), but "dż" and "dź" (being equivalent of English "j" like in Jedi or jungle). It is, however, difficult to pronounce at the end of a word, and that's why it "automatically" changes to the first one in pronounciation (so it's pronounced almost like Łóć or Łuć). In the declination forms, where you have vowels added to this name (e.g. Łodzi), you can hear the proper dź and not ć sound (in pronounciation it's Łodźi, but this strike over a letter is never written when there is i after it).

In the Cyrylic alphabet, the change from "cz" to "ć", from "dż" to "dź", and all the other so called softenings of cosonants, are denoted by the soft sign ь written after the cosonant.

See here: http://pl.forvo.com/word/jungle/#en
Most of the users pronounce the word "jungle" so that it would be written "dżangl" in Polish, but in case of the user cab22 the pronounciation is much more like "dziangl" - this is the kind of "j" which you have in the name Łódź.

Or here: http://pl.forvo.com/word/cherry/#en
Most of the users pronounce the word "cherry" with "cz", but rdbedsole and susan1430 do it with a cosonant which is very close to "ć". And this is how you should pronounce the name Łódź.

By the way, Ł also used to be something close to L in the past, but now it's the same sound as English W. In Russian, its equivalent is the letter Л, which is pronounced between Polish L and Ł (or English L and W).

Let's end the offtopic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufonut View Post
Experimental signage is currently on 2 sections of A1, one north of A1/A2 interchange between Lodz and Torun and one near Lodz.

The first one you can see here:

The second one (introduced on A1 bypass of Lodz) is here:

Can you spot any differences ?

Look at the directional arrows on both signs. They have been "fattened up" to be better visible to the drivers. This was one of the requests/recommendations to GDDKiA coming from our forum
Yes! I could see that these new signs (from the Stryków-Tuszyn section) are somehow better then the old-new (from the Toruń-Stryków section), but I couldn't tell why. Now I can see! The new version has the SSC arrows!

Now they have to understand the difference between both interchange symbols! The two types of interchanges are even distinguished by Polish law (the interchanges that are "collision-free" on both roads, so usually interchanges between two highways, or between a motorway and an expressway, are denoted as the WA-type, the interchanges that are "collision-free" only on one of the roads, and are a roundabout or just a pair of normal intersections on the other road, so usually interchanges between a motorway/expressway and a normal road, are denoted as the WB-type), but noone thinks about using different symbols for them, like in the whole Europe, or at least in Gemany... Instead of that, they use the German symbols in other meanings. The "WA" symbol (in German: Autobahnkreuz) denotes the whole interchange, while the "WB" symbol (in German: Anschlussstelle) denotes just a single exit within the interchange.

ukraroad, gr_kanev liked this post
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2016, 12:37 AM   #15780
michael_siberia
Trzecie pokolenie akowców

Likes (Received): 25721

Quote:
Part of excavations from bronze age (1500 years ago) & stone age (10 000 years ago):
1500 years ago was 516 AD - 30 years after falling down of the western part of the Roman Empire.

geogregor, db84 liked this post
michael_siberia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road