daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #15801
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

Just in time for Euro 2012, Euro 2016... never mind. Finally, it's here! Pictures by jarfi, whom I salute for the contribution.

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #15802
Strzala

Likes (Received): 8884

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarfi View Post
A4 Otwarcie 2016-07-20 godzina 10!!!!
Video from opening last stage of A4 highway in Poland - section Korczowa-Rzeszow
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #15803
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Congratulations Polska!

Nowax liked this post
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #15804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

What is the exact length of A4? I've seen 672.5 km on Polish Wikipedia.

However if you plot a route in Google Maps it is 579 km (German border - Rzeszów) + 41 km (Rzeszów - Jarosław) + 47 km (Jarosław - Ukrainian border) = 667 kilometers.

Earlier, websites reported around 680 km due to the kilometer mark jump at Balice (401 > 411).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #15805
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Earlier, websites reported around 680 km due to the kilometer mark jump at Balice (401 > 411).
There is no kilometer mark jump now 401km
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #15806
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
There used to be a kilometer marker jump on A4 near Balice (from 401 to 411). When was this corrected? In 2015?
I asked this on the previous page, it was probably overlooked due to the page change

They also changed the exit names on A4 around Kraków in 2015.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #15807
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

So Ukraine is finally connected to the rest of the world by motorways. Great job PL, that's what the EU is all about and you seem to have understood it . In this times of Brexits and other somber news, the opening of this road should have made it to the headlines in every other European country just to remember us that we're stronger than ever.

Richard_P, paf1, rakcancer, Urbanista1, Rombi and 10 others liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #15808
Fooxx67

Likes (Received): 58

Looks great and fortunately has not to many sound walls, so we can see the landscape around

Deadeye Reloaded, yunit, loloo, ukraroad liked this post
Fooxx67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #15809
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooxx67 View Post
Looks great and fortunately has not to many sound walls, so we can see the landscape around
That is either miracle or someone just forgot to put them

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 09:41 PM   #15810
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17448

Quote:
What is the exact length of A4? I've seen 672.5 km on Polish Wikipedia.

However if you plot a route in Google Maps it is 579 km (German border - Rzeszów) + 41 km (Rzeszów - Jarosław) + 47 km (Jarosław - Ukrainian \
The last kilometer mark before the Ukrainian border on A4 motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agusia View Post

Cdn ...
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #15811
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek_CK View Post
Just in time for Euro 2012, Euro 2016...
Just in time for World Cup 2018

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

SRC_100, GROBIN liked this post
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #15812
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18772

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
First work Started on the Olsztyn southern bypass(eastern part):
DK16(future S16) - 14.7 km - Olsztyn-South-Olsztyn-East - July 2016 - April 2019
Ok... it seems that first works have actually started. Budimex is a reliable firm

S51 Olsztyn-East (S16) - Olsztyn-South (DK16) 14.7km (July 2016 to April 2019) - project - map

Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 01:17 AM   #15813
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5490

Beautiful map Kemo, way to go.
What is the difference between the toll (yellow) and the other motorway sections in Poland? They are all paid in one way or another, aren't they? In other words what payment methods are you using to drive on motorway's network nowadays?
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:14 AM   #15814
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooxx67 View Post
Щось у лісі велике здохло...

koszatek liked this post
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 10:23 AM   #15815
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
Щось у лісі велике здохло...
This is an English language forum.

baderman liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:31 AM   #15816
Maciek_CK
Great Scott!

Likes (Received): 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post
What is the difference between the toll (yellow) and the other motorway sections in Poland? They are all paid in one way or another, aren't they? In other words what payment methods are you using to drive on motorway's network nowadays?
I’m afraid it’s a bit of a mess.

As for cars, motorways are tolled and expressways are not. There is no practical difference between a motorway and an expressway nowadays. That is theory.

Motorways are generally tolled. A regulation establishes which sections are paid for – there are some exceptions, some of which are fair, some of which are not and there isn’t much logic behind them. Some motorways were built the State and it collects the fee via toll booths (cash, credit card, fuel card). Electronic payments are available on selected sections. Some motorways were built by privates companies and they manage their respective motorway sections, also collecting fees via toll booths. Electronic payment methods that you might use on state-owned motorways don’t apply here. You can however use other electronic methods to pay for selected private motorways.

I don’t have to say that state-owned motorways are way cheaper than the private motorways. For example, travelling from Warsaw to Poznań on A2 motorway: Stryków – Konin East, state-owned motorway, 99 km, 9,90 zł (2,25 EUR) (stiff price for 1 km). Sługocin (west of Konin) – Poznań East, 57 km, 36 zł (8,20 EUR). And it’s still not the most expensive one.

You may notice that I didn’t mention any fares between Warsaw and Łódź. That’s because couple of years ago a decision was made to abandon the manual collection and introduce a new payment system that would ease up the congestion on toll booths. Therefore any motorway built after ~2012 doesn’t have any toll booths (in some cases, they are technically standing, but not used, in other there are just wider carriageways) and are free of charge, like the mentioned section of A2 or A1 from Łódź to Toruń (what’s more, they couldn’t be tolled at the time due to lack of gas stations, rest areas, etc.). Time flies and we still don’t know what kind of a system it’s going to be or when it’s going to be introduced. And I’m pretty sure those private companies won’t give up their earnings so easily, especially when they negotiated themselves some pretty good and shady deals that are still valid for several years.

Expressways are free of charge, but that can happen any time (it’s just a matter of changing the right bill and regulation) and it is my prediction that sooner or later some government will do it.

As for trucks (and buses, I believe), they are obliged to us electronic devices called ViaToll on motorways, expressways and selected national roads. Obviously, those devices don’t apply to the motorways managed by concessionaires so they charge some handsome fees for the passage.
Old July 21st, 2016, 01:18 PM   #15817
db84

Likes (Received): 2244

Speaking of payment on the expressways, I presume that when a country-wide electronic toll system is selected to be used on the motorways, it will quickly be extended to the expressways and that's when free expressways will end.

I also assume that what stops the government is that the current ViaToll system is owned and operated by Kapsch company. Doing another tender and letting another company win means two incompatible systems in one country. On the other hand, allowing Kapsch to extend ViaToll to all vehicles on motorways and expressways means a lot of public money given to Kapsch without a tender. This is the problem.

baderman, ukraroad liked this post
db84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 01:36 PM   #15818
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18772

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post
Beautiful map Kemo, way to go.
To make it simple - on yellow sections you pay manually on toll booths. All white sections are toll-free for passenger vehicles (<3,5 ton).
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #15819
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
To make it simple - on yellow sections you pay manually on toll booths. All white sections are toll-free for passenger vehicles (<3,5 ton).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciek_CK View Post
I’m afraid it’s a bit of a mess.

Motorways are generally tolled. A regulation establishes which sections are paid for – there are some exceptions, some of which are fair, some of which are not and there isn’t much logic behind them. Some motorways were built the State and it collects the fee via toll booths (cash, credit card, fuel card). Electronic payments are available on selected sections. Some motorways were built by privates companies and they manage their respective motorway sections, also collecting fees via toll booths. Electronic payment methods that you might use on state-owned motorways don’t apply here. You can however use other electronic methods to pay for selected private motorways.
OK I see, thanks. Since there are no vignettes in use, it is difficult to toll immediately everything which is built by the state. However, I suppose as the motorway network grows, more and more sections will be tolled I mean for vehicles less than 3.5t until all motorways are paid.

Last edited by roaddor; July 22nd, 2016 at 12:13 AM.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2016, 01:18 AM   #15820
Nowax
Nowa Huta

Likes (Received): 1601

S7 - Eastern bypass of Krakow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrysiu14 View Post

SRC_100, baderman, mpeculea, 8166UY, gr_kanev and 2 others liked this post
Nowax no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road