daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2017, 11:01 AM   #16381
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19164

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
17. Even though the road looks smooth. At some places it was bumpy as hell, that's why there are such signs installed.
Yes, unfortunately the A1 ride quality is not the best. It is most likely due to difficult geology associated with the mining in the region.

Quote:
25. Interesting choice of color for the pillars.
Infamous bridge MA532, you could exit here and vist my home town, one of the ugliest cities in Poland
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:53 AM   #16382
MajKeR_
¡La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9109

Quote:
17. Even though the road looks smooth. At some places it was bumpy as hell, that's why there are such signs installed.
As I see, this is the viaduct over DK11 (Strzelców Bytomskich street) in Bytom. This is the place where mining operation was maintaining through years, as the Powstańców Śląskich coal mine had its headquarters just less than one kilometer from there. Of course, the construction has a special protection for unstable ground, but they are seemingly not as efficient to avoid that. But the pavement is rather ok there, other than at Bytom northern bypass (2 km or so to the SW), where those things are usual :

Both roads are built in the same period. At the bypass there is a 50 km/h speed limit due to bumps.

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.

RipleyLV liked this post
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM   #16383
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18771

This is a major problem in this area. Even the nearby McDonald's restaurant had to be closed because mining operation damaged the building's structure. Several other buildings had to be demolished (as it can be seen here on GSV - change between years 2012 and 2013: https://www.google.pl/maps/@50.35353...7i13312!8i6656)

Opening of S7 motorway Nidzica - Napierki this Friday is confirmed.
But S7 Radom - Szydłowiec will not be opened this week. Maybe the next week.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:43 PM   #16384
seszele

Likes (Received): 1142

[PL] Poland | road infrastructure • infrastruktura drogowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
But S7 Radom - Szydłowiec will not be opened this week. Maybe the next week.

Indeed, as of now ;-)

Update; Szydlowiec S7, end of section:

baderman liked this post

Last edited by seszele; June 21st, 2017 at 05:00 PM.
seszele no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:18 PM   #16385
makaveli6
(:

Likes (Received): 1318

I'm driving from Sigulda to Gdynia next week. Google Maps suggests two routes. The first one via Marijampole, Suwalki, Gyžicko, Bartoszyce and then along the E28 corridor. The second one leads through Šakiai in Lithuania, closely following the Kaliningrad border, in to Poland via Goldap, Wegorzewo and then joining the route number one near Bartoszyce.

So as I usually use Waze for navigation, I looked it up on Waze too. It gives me a totally diffrent route which is a little bit longer, but follows more main roads. DK8 until Augustow, then DK16 until Ostroda and S7/DK7 until Gdynia.

My question is, which of the routes would be the best choice?I'm planning to cover the whole distance in one day. Departing in the morning and arriving in Gdynia in the evening.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
makaveli6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:00 PM   #16386
Kemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveli6 View Post
My question is, which of the routes would be the best choice?I'm planning to cover the whole distance in one day. Departing in the morning and arriving in Gdynia in the evening.
Roads in this region are generally narrow, curvy and in bad condition. DK16 is no exception. There is however one corridor that has been modernised recently. It leads through Gołdap - Węgorzewo - Kętrzyn - Bartoszyce - Lidzbark Warmiński - Orneta - Pasłęk. You will find it easily on this map, marked mostly with green.

And keep in mind that summer holidays begin this Friday, and it means traffic jams on S7 construction between Elbląg and Gdańsk. There are however no good ways to bypass this section.
Old June 21st, 2017, 05:17 PM   #16387
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Roads in this region are generally narrow, curvy and in bad condition. DK16 is no exception. There is however one corridor that has been modernised recently. It leads through Gołdap - Węgorzewo - Kętrzyn - Bartoszyce - Lidzbark Warmiński - Orneta - Pasłęk. You will find it easily on this map, marked mostly with green.

And keep in mind that summer holidays begin this Friday, and it means traffic jams on S7 construction between Elbląg and Gdańsk. There are however no good ways to bypass this section.
Would the route you mentioned be a lot more time consuming then the DK16? I figure that there could be alot of small populated places, that could consume alot of time to drive through. Then again, probably DK16 also has alot of them. I remember going to Gdansk about five years ago. We took a route somewhere between DK16 and the route you mentioned. I wasn't driving, but I remember the roads being really narrow. Quite an intresting drive if you're not in a hurry.

My clinched highways in Latvia (updated Jan 2018), Lithuania (updated Jan 2018) &
Poland.
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:32 PM   #16388
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2278

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Yes, unfortunately the A1 ride quality is not the best. It is most likely due to difficult geology associated with the mining in the region.
Interesting explanation. It might be the reason, since the motorway runs through difficult terrain, and between the hills it was built on a large anmount of sand. A little movement in the ground and voila!

Quote:
Infamous bridge MA532, you could exit here and vist my home town, one of the ugliest cities in Poland
Which one of those towns?

Quote:
I'm driving from Sigulda to Gdynia next week.
Do You need guidance from Sigulda to Grenctāle? From experience, I would recommend such route: https://goo.gl/maps/KcDefJ3pW9T2 The least pleasant part in this route will be driving from Suwałki to Giżycko, as it is narrow and now might not be in the best shape everywhere. Not so many populated places to drive through, the problematic part could the town of Olzstyn. The rest have more or less roads around centre. Once You drive to Ostróda, after that pick up the S7 all the way to Elbląg. Then, as Kemo pointed out, You can avoid road works driving via Malbork on DK22 (~20 km longer than on DK7) untill You get to the A1 motorway to Gdańsk.

makaveli6 liked this post
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM   #16389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

What is up with the S7 tenders for the Mława - Płońsk route? All subsections are *significantly* under budget.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:19 PM   #16390
Kemo

Quote:
Would the route you mentioned be a lot more time consuming then the DK16?
I do not know. What I know is that you do not risk getting stuck in a traffic jam. Which could happen in Olsztyn and at the construction site of S7 in Ostróda.

Quote:
Then, as Kemo pointed out, You can avoid road works driving via Malbork on DK22 (~20 km longer than on DK7) untill You get to the A1 motorway to Gdańsk.
Right. The new bridge in Malbork should be fully opened by the end of this week.
But then there is an unpleasant cobbled section near Tczew. And I don't recommend A1, better use DK91 to avoid another traffic jam at the toll gates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What is up with the S7 tenders for the Mława - Płońsk route? All subsections are *significantly* under budget.
There is a conspiracy theory that the budget was artificially increased (here and on DK15 around Nowe Miasto Lubawskie) because the vice-minister of infrastructure is from Olsztyn
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:09 PM   #16391
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
There is a conspiracy theory that the budget was artificially increased (here and on DK15 around Nowe Miasto Lubawskie) because the vice-minister of infrastructure is from Olsztyn
I am surprised they didn't remove your post yet. Mine from few days ago was removed. It was politically incorrect I guess.
But referring to your comment: how would increasing budget help anyone anyway?
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:13 PM   #16392
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2278

Quote:
Right. The new bridge in Malbork should be fully opened by the end of this week.
But then there is an unpleasant cobbled section near Tczew.
Yeah, but I don't recall this cobbled section that bad, at least it was not that bad as there are cobbled streets here in Rīga.

Quote:
And I don't recommend A1, better use DK91 to avoid another traffic jam at the toll gates...
In time, I think it's even, either you use a rural road or wait in line for toll.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:33 PM   #16393
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19164

Quote:
Interesting explanation. It might be the reason, since the motorway runs through difficult terrain, and between the hills it was built on a large anmount of sand. A little movement in the ground and voila!
If I remember correctly the A1 motorway north of Bytom runs through some areas of medieval mining activity, most of it no mapped. There might be still some voids not discovered during the ground investigations.
There also might be some issues with the materials? I don't know. But I use this motorway a few times a year, on my way to the airport, and it is far from smooth ride. Not what one would expect from a few years old motorway.

Quote:
Which one of those towns?
"Glorious" Jastrzebie Zdroj
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:36 AM   #16394
makaveli6
(:

Quote:
Do You need guidance from Sigulda to Grenctāle?
Actually, I was thinking of taking P8 and P88 until Bauska, but then I realized that half of P88 isn't paved lol.

Quote:
I do not know. What I know is that you do not risk getting stuck in a traffic jam. Which could happen in Olsztyn and at the construction site of S7 in Ostróda.

But then there is an unpleasant cobbled section near Tczew. And I don't recommend A1, better use DK91 to avoid another traffic jam at the toll gates...
Hmm, is Waze popular in Poland? If so, I could just check the traffic ahead on Waze and calculate my route depending on the situation.

Poland.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 03:12 PM   #16395
Kemo

Construction permit was issued for another section of S5 motorway (Poznań- Gdańsk)

S5: Nowe Marzy (A1) - east of Świecie-North 9.6km (July 2017 to August 2019) – projectmap

S5: west of Świecie-North - east of Świecie-West 5.3km (July 2017 to August 2019) [2nd c/w] – projectmap

S5: east of Świecie-West - north of Świecie-South 3.3km (July 2017 to August 2019) [2nd c/w] – projectmap
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:07 PM   #16396
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Do you mean that the A1 is subsiding into collapsing abandoned underground coal mines???
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 04:15 PM   #16397
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's not uncommon in mining areas. Subsiding ground is affecting infrastructure in (former) mining areas, for example in Germany, southern Netherlands, Belgium, northeastern France, etc.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:26 PM   #16398
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2204

In Britain they 'plan for' mining subsidence on motorways.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/1608898.stm
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:29 PM   #16399
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In Southern Netherlands they had to demolish a part of a shopping center in Heerlen in 2011 due to mining subsidence underneath it. The mine was already decommissioned in 1974.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:04 PM   #16400
Chris80678

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Do you mean that the A1 is subsiding into collapsing abandoned underground coal mines???
Well let's hope we don't lose such a key stretch of motorway
Chris80678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autostrady, expressways, highway, motorways, polish motorways, polish roads, polskie drogi, road